Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Third World Reagan posted:

Give me your B and C tier mechs please and thanks

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#7c6a3fed_RVN-3L

If you wait to fire the PPCs until right as your buddy's missiles are hitting they probably won't notice you're behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I just got a huginn from claiming it and oh boy, is that a mech.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#7c6a3fed_RVN-3L

If you wait to fire the PPCs until right as your buddy's missiles are hitting they probably won't notice you're behind them.

Please do not mock my RVN 3L, it is a special creature that I use to score no points in stealth.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Please do not mock my RVN 3L, it is a special creature that I use to score no points in stealth.

Quoth the Raven "Never Score."

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Give me your B and C tier mechs please and thanks

Yes please I will never shut up about the RFL-LK but man is it funny baiting anything heavy or lower into an honor duel and just melting them with like 20% faster shotgun arms

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Rifleman arms are one of my fav quirks too, you catch so many people trying to use height differentials as cover expecting bad torso pitch to save them and eating a full salvo right in the face for their trouble. Also good for UAV duty!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Someone was asking about Maulers in WOL discord, and someone here is asking for offmeta mechs, so here's a bunch more words about Maulers, since they're a good example of a sort of mech that's very common in MWO, even if Maulers themselves are a rarely-taken hipster choice.

This is a follow-up to this post:

Cease to Hope posted:

Someone in WOL discord was asking about Corsairs, and I wrote too many words about them and where they fit into the IS assault meta.

[:words:]

Some caveats: this doesn't really take into account the PPC changes, since they're going to get rolled back, and it doesn't take into account the "Gulag" revamp to the entire game, whatever shape that ends up taking. But I think this sort of mech will still exist in later metas, even if the Mauler ends up in a different role, or even if these specific builds aren't meta any more.

---

Maulers are archetypical "guncarrier" assaults. (I don't think anyone else has this particular name for them, but it's as good a name as any.) In the simplest sense, a guncarrier is a mech that can carry a meta-appropriate armament, but can't really do anything else. They're not fast, they're not tough, they just shoot. Guncarriers aren't durable and aren't particularly good at getting into advantageous positions, but they're very good at dealing damage because of lots of good hardpoints and maybe some nice quirks. Basically, if it doesn't have good hitboxes, durability quirks, good torso twist (less than 80-90 degrees/s is a good cutoff right now), or >90 kph speed, it's probably a guncarrier if it's not just useless. If you can get a guncarrier into a good position, like a 2v1 or a flanking position against a mech that's not very nimble or any other situation where you aren't going to be shot back at, they will do a ridiculous amount of work. On the other hand, if you get isolated or flanked or caught out of position or even in a 1v1 against a mech that is ready to fight a 1v1, you're probably in trouble.

This isn't a Clan-only playstyle, but most meta Clan mechs, from the Vapor Eagle to the Blood Asp, are guncarriers. Especially Clan heavies, where it would be easier to list the ones that are not. (Those are the Summoner, Linebacker, and Orion IIC btw.) There are plenty of IS guncarriers too, don't get me wrong, it's just the default Clan playstyle.

Guncarriers are only good to the degree that they outgun more well-rounded mechs. Plus, they're really more of a medium/heavy playstyle than an assault playstyle, especially in solo queue where assaults usually need to be tanking damage for the team in order to win. Guncarriers are very good for pubstomping (or smurfing, I won't judge you too harshly). Once you're playing people roughly on your level, they can turn in some amazing performances when the enemy team just decides to leave you alone, but usually you'll get caught out and get wrecked, especially against opponents who know how vulnerable these mechs are. They're the sort of builds where Youtubers make a video titled "1500 damage in WHAT MECH?!?" then you build it and eat poo poo nine times out of ten because they didn't post the bad matches on YT. You can get back to pubstomping by only playing these mechs in a coordinated group, but that's not really much of a thing in MWO these days.

Right now, guncarrier IS assaults are mostly out of the meta. The Annihilator matches most Maulers gun-for-gun while also being tankier, so I can't really recommend a Mauler as a super S++ tier optimized choice. The Mauler used to have a niche as the mech with the most usable ballistic hardpoints, but now that niche is crowded, with the Annihilator, Fafnir, Corsair, and Cyclops Sleipnir all contending for that throne. There's even now a King Crab (000, originally added as a loyalty reward) with the same number of ballistic hardpoints. This is a B mech through and through.

So if I haven't talked you out of playing a Mauler, here's how you go about it.

Maulers are big squares, like Banshees or fatter Awesomes. They have obvious hitboxes that everyone can pick out even given how rare Maulers are, no durability quirks to speak of, and fairly bad (63 deg/s) torso twist. What they do have going for them is lots of hardpoints and some decent damage-boosting quirks to get the most out of those hardpoints. However, except for the missiles, all of those hardpoints are mounted fairly low on the body, with laser-heavy arms at waist level and torso ballistic hardpoints only a bit above that. (The hero, Knockout, switches the ballistics to the arms and the lasers to the torsos, but the placement is otherwise the same.) So whatever you're going to do, unless it involves shooting LRMs, it's going to involve exposing your very vulnerable front to the enemy before all of your weapons are exposed. You can't peek over things, and you can't even really poke around things except with maybe one arm. You have to go allllll in to do damage and that kind of sucks!

So this limits you to builds that either use LRMs (loser) or have such overwhelming firepower that you win before you die. Guncarrier suicide sled mindset.

Let's get LRMs out of the way. The Mauler 1R is the go-to pick for an LRM boat Mauler. It's not the best IS assault LRM boat (that's the Awesome 8R or Fafnir 5E), but has four missile hardpoints with -10% heat and -10% cooldown on LRMs, which is just fine. You could also use the Knockout hero if you own it for some reason; it drops the -10% heat (which hurts) for +10% LRM velocity and -5% missile spread, which does translate into more damage per missile. If you're gonna run this garbage, i suggest something like this. You could switch to an XL engine or reduce the size of the engine in order to get bigger LRM launchers or some supplementary weapons (MGs, MLs, or ERSLs seem like the obvious picks), but honestly this is all the effort I'm going to expend on an LRM boat.

The rest of the Maulers are mixtures of ballistic/energy boats, with stronger perks boosting whatever hardpoint they have less of. In roughly decreasing order of utility:

The Mauler MX90 has six torso-mounted ballistic hardpoints, two energy hardpoints (one in each arm), and some strong quirks for lasers that also are fine for PPCs. You can mix and match AC2s, RAC2s, AC5s, and UAC5s to taste, possibly with a single PPC/HPPC/ERPPC or an ERLL. This allows for some really extreme loadouts, like 6AC2 ERPPC (you can run a PPC or an ERLL here instead if you like), 3RAC2 2UAC5 (careful about spamming those UACs too much, it's hot), or a leftover from a previous meta, 3AC5 2UAC5. As long as you've got at least five ballistics, the MX90 is a very hardhitting glass cannon.

The Mauler 1P has four ballistics, four energy, and two missiles. It's an odd duck. It has four ballistics and -5% cooldown on ballistics (traits it shares with the 1R, below), but it also has large bonuses to AC2s and all PPC types. You could try out 4AC2 2PPC (ERPPCs would also fit but are hotter), or 3AC2 2HPPC. It's not a mech I would build, since PPCs are gonna catch the nerf bat any day now, but maybe you bought a Mauler pack or something, I don't know. You can also run the standard four-torso-ballistic IS builds that people run on Annihilators and Fafnirs, like 2UAC10 2UAC5, but bear in mind how glacially slow that is. Another option is a build that uses gauss with PPCs or HGRs with a PPC, but not only is that going to get nerfed soon, your big square torso with low-mounted hardpoints is not well-suited to high-alpha sniping or high-risk short-ranged loadouts.

The Mauler 1R is four ballistics, two energy, and four missiles. It has -5% cooldown on ballistics, and generic energy quirks that aren't quite as nice as the 1P's PPC quirks but better if you're running 3-4 ballistics and 1-2 lasers. This is kind of a dud mech: it's not tough enough to use the missiles for anything but lurming, the other ballistic boats are as good or better, and two lasers means you're kinda stuck with large laser variants which aren't great. It doesn't even have enough lasers to gaussvomit. If you want to make use of this chassis - it was the cbill-boosted chassis from the Mauler mechpack - and don't want to lurmboat, I would run that 2UAC10 2UAC5 build from the 1P's writeup above.

The Mauler 2P is a laserboat with all of the lasers stuck in the arms, and a ballistic in each torso. This is a hipster choice only. It has -5% ballistic cooldown and the rare and coveted UAC jam chance reduction, along with -10% energy heat on a mech with six energy hardpoints. The problem is that even in its very limited niche, it's overshadowed. Builds that focus on PPCs are better built on the 1P. So this wants to use UAC10s and lasers together, and those aren't two great tastes that go great together. UAC10s are too hot to pair with laservomit. 2UAC10/6ML or some variation is probably the best you're getting out of this mech with UACs, but it's hot as gently caress, and honestly you're better off with just slamming in a standard gaussvomit build (taken from Grimmechs).

The Knockout is the hero and it's pretty much useless. It's a variation on the 1R, which is already not a good mech. You'd think two more energy and two less ballistics would make it a better mech, but it has a bunch of weird loving quirks that don't work with the hardpoints. LBX quirks combined with missile quirks would say "brawl", but it doesn't have the hitboxes, durability quirks, or twist speed you'd need to brawl effectively. If you're stuck with this, it can run the lurm build from above or some sort of gaussvomit that I'm too lazy to build at this point. Grimmechs has a crappy brawl build that it's too fragile to use, but it's not going to be good at anything else either, so whatever.

A note about Heavy Gauss Rifles: Maulers can, technically, use Heavy Gauss Rifles. However, they're just a bit short on tonnage to use them well, and they're also already pretty fragile. So while you can cram HGRs into a Mauler - the 1P is better if you're running 2HGR and some sort of PPC, while the 2P is better if you're running 2HGR and lasers - you probably don't want to. Just get a Fafnir or an Annihilator, or if you gotta be a hipster, a Corsair 6R or even a Victor 9A1.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 31, 2021

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Conversely the cyclops sleipnir can use hgauss rifles despite being the same tonnage. It has somewhat friendlier mounts and a noticeably better hitbox. The mauler's heyday is over but it's still solidly B tier probably.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
Yea I mean the maller should perform fine even if it isn't top teir. I will say that i'd rather be in a victor any day of the week though. Anyone else jumping in the rocket javelin from earlier in this thread for the streamer hunt?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Artificer posted:

Conversely the cyclops sleipnir can use hgauss rifles despite being the same tonnage. It has somewhat friendlier mounts and a noticeably better hitbox. The mauler's heyday is over but it's still solidly B tier probably.

The Sleipnir also has a real twist rate and the -crit perk and a little more HP. The Mauler just doesn't want to get in people's faces! There's no sense stacking a fragile, hazardous gimmick on top of a fragile mech.

Lorem ipsum posted:

Yea I mean the maller should perform fine even if it isn't top teir.

It (and most guncarrier builds) can perform very well, but they're inconsistent and very vulnerable to being played poorly. I wouldn't recommend any of these builds to anyone who doesn't already own a Mauler. An Annihilator or Corsair is going to run the same sort of builds but better, most likely. Honestly, there isn't a single Mauler build that you couldn't run as well or better on some other mech.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 27, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Happy memories of the MX90 being the only mech able to run 5 AC/5 when that was a shitload of dakka

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

The Sleipnir also has a real twist rate and the -crit perk and a little more HP. The Mauler just doesn't want to get in people's faces! There's no sense stacking a fragile, hazardous gimmick on top of a fragile mech.

It (and most guncarrier builds) can perform very well, but they're inconsistent and very vulnerable to being played poorly. I wouldn't recommend any of these builds to anyone who doesn't already own a Mauler. An Annihilator or Corsair is going to run the same sort of builds but better, most likely. Honestly, there isn't a single Mauler build that you couldn't run as well or better on some other mech.

This post is true.

Meat_Grinder
Nov 29, 2015
Alright guys, I've been at it for for 3 months now and I have a problem.

My lights are doing pretty ok Mist Lynx is solid, post- and pre- update MASC Flea-17 is fantastic, 2-3 kills per game is norm, even when running solo with a team of total clowns, I simply speed-tank and literally dodge bullets in it. Phoenix Hawk is doing relatively well too. Going up in tonnage though, I feel like I'm much more dependent on teammates and getting kills or wins is coin-toss based. I get thrown in with either incompetents and we are completely suppressed then obliterated or with a semi- to a fully competent group where we steamroll the enemy into oblivion.

I'm not complaining about mmr here, I'm trying to understand what is the optimal strategy for mediums/heavies/assaults. Damage is spread all over the enemy team, I often cannot use comms to call primary and I'm definitely not interested in herding my team. My Hellbringer, Grasshopper, MadCat are at around 0.75 k/d and I'm sad about it.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The slower you are the more beholden to your team you are if you aren't just a murderbeast that can immediately core people out on sight with an assault loadout.

You depend on your team gathering information to make good positioning decisions, because you only have one chance to beeline to the 'right' location as an assault. People can barely shoot their guns and move at the same time in this game, so good luck getting them to communicate about where the enemy is going.

The next best thing is just learning the positions on maps that will give you the best results most of the time. Stuff like taking the top on HPG will almost net a win if it's done as a team, and there are similar power positions on all of the maps that just enable to you trade more efficiently as a team.

If you're doing very well in hypermobile buildouts and poorly in ones that don't maneuver well it means you don't have a good understanding of positioning and game sense. The faster you are the less positioning matters as much because you don't get punished for doing it poorly.

Generally from fight to fight what you're looking for is:

-The ability to see only one target at a time, who is exposed to multiple people on your team
-Using a terrain piece or cover that compliments your hard points. Mechs with loadouts heavy on a side like corners, mechs with loadouts at cockpit-level with high cockpits like to peek ridges
-Having that cover be in your optimal range bracket so that you are maximizing your damage while minimizing the other team's
-Having that position be costly to close the distance and attack
-Having an easy escape from that position if it does get overrun

The first two are usually the most important.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
^^^

Lights are very forgiving of positioning mistakes because if you get caught out of position you can usually skedaddle elsewhere

Assaults are forgiving of engagement mistakes because if you peek a corner and take a big alpha you can hit back and go back into cover without dying

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
This is why I like my up-engined Victor a lot. It is overall forgiving of both my mistakes and my team's rotation.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I took my free GHR-5R and immediately did this with it and OMG Im having way more fun than an IS heavy should ever be. Probably doesn't hurt that I rolled 3 canyon network games in a row.
https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#3daec1f2_GHR-5H

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

You might wanna give the Grim Mech's fit a try. The XL is scary, but it has a butt-load more cooling.

GHR-5H

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

If you're feeling brave, this is the modified version of that build. https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#7ad7b461_GHR-5H

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

Cease to Hope posted:

Too many mauler words.

This all ignores the objectively best way to build this mech.
Behold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shT5Vw3LyIE

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The lights and mediums have the ability to move somewhere else in case of a fucky wucky.

The heavies and assaults do not. You will need to have map awareness at a higher level and right at the start.

Then you will have to hope you and your team understand sharing armor if there is no nascar going.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010

Rysithusiku posted:

This all ignores the objectively best way to build this mech.
Behold.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shT5Vw3LyIE

I saw someone doing this with a Sleipnir a couple months ago.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The lights and mediums have the ability to move somewhere else in case of a fucky wucky.

The heavies and assaults do not. You will need to have map awareness at a higher level and right at the start.

Then you will have to hope you and your team understand sharing armor if there is no nascar going.

Yeah if the NASCAR is going you gotta hold W and never stop on some mechs

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
Do sensor range nodes affect the range of seismic sensor?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

abrosheen posted:

Do sensor range nodes affect the range of seismic sensor?

Only the seismic nodes affect seismic.

Also LGR has been crippled by the March patch. Don't touch them right now.

For a somewhat gimmicky build that's still currently viable, see: https://youtu.be/kn3yVmKpgsY

It's like a somewhat worse and squishier annihilator, but still pretty alright.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
the gulag changes artillery strikes to last longer but do 1/3 damage per shell and that rules

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!
My luck with UACs is the worst. I must be doing something wrong because at most I get a shot or two off before they jam. The feeling of having such a high tonnage/space weapon system become unavailable just when I need it the most really has put me off using them at all.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I assume you have the jam nodes? And are you using uac20s?

Also with uacs its really best to have multiple so you always have some to shoot.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
What’s the best heavy large laser carrier? There’s something about the sound they make that releases seratonin

Also what’s the worst default mech? The overengined charger?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

IAmThatIs posted:

What’s the best heavy large laser carrier? There’s something about the sound they make that releases seratonin

you could try something like this if you want four:
https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#1950e877_WHM-IIC-BL

or this if you want a really good laservom mech
https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#f2103580_HBR-F

and yeah Charger seems like a good bet for worst default. Lots of bad stock mechs out there but most of them can do like SOME damage

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

IAmThatIs posted:

The Nova Cat D has +1 HSL for HLLs as a set-of-eight omnipod quirk, which means it can fire three at a time rather than just two without incurring ghost heat, and you really, really don't want ghost heat on HLLs. So you could run a really cursed GR/3HLL gaussvomit build. (Do not run this garbage.) But honestly you're better off with the standard HLL/ERML Hellbringer with the quirked torso (rather than the ECM torso). It's standard because it's good.

My pick for the worst standard mech would probably be the Commando 1D. No armor, not particularly fast, armed only with an LL and an SRM6. All this on SHS.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 27, 2021

Jager
Aug 4, 2003

Eeww!

Artificer posted:

I assume you have the jam nodes? And are you using uac20s?

Also with uacs its really best to have multiple so you always have some to shoot.

Yup, I have the all the jam skill nodes.
UAC-10s and UAC-5s:
https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#8a77cf7e_ANH-2A

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

ECM is really strong though.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Jager posted:

Yup, I have the all the jam skill nodes.
UAC-10s and UAC-5s:
https://mech.nav-alpha.com/#8a77cf7e_ANH-2A

Do you know how uac jams work? Because it took me a while to figure it out and i would jam constantly. Now its only once in a while. Same with RACs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

This is definitely not universally true. Heavies are, and will continue to be the premier mechs in MWO because all of the good ones are as fast or nearly as fast as mediums. You get the advantage of extra armor and weapons with none of the downsides, really. There aren't any good heavies that move at the speed of the wanna-be light mech mediums, but any of the 'normal' mediums that see play like the Griffin, Shadowhawk, Vapor Eagle, etc. are all in the same speed range as most of the good heavy mechs.

Jager posted:

My luck with UACs is the worst. I must be doing something wrong because at most I get a shot or two off before they jam. The feeling of having such a high tonnage/space weapon system become unavailable just when I need it the most really has put me off using them at all.

Jam chance is dependent upon the size of the autocannon and whether they are clan or IS. Clan UAC20s have a chance to jam which is about one in five, which means they are almost always a useless waste of space. You do not want to be crippled when you are in UAC20 range of an enemy. Generally speaking, the lighter the autocannon the smaller the jam chance, and the shorter the duration. Every ultra autocannon out-DPSes its non-ultra version statistically accounting for jams, but depending on the gun, it is often by only 5-10%.

There are a few things that make UACs worth using. First, their burst damage is higher. This means you want them for mechs that peek at midrange- if you don't jam you can get off twice the damage in almost the same timeframe, which is huge; and if you do jam, you're easily able to slip back into cover to wait for your jams to clear. Second, some mechs have jam chance quirks; they might not seem like much, but even a small jam chance advantage turns into a truly huge DPS increase. For example, you'd assume that the JM6-DD with a quad UAC2 loadout would fall vastly behind the Rifleman IIC with six UAC2s- but the Jagermech has a -20% jam chance on top of IS UACs being less prone to jamming, which means they wind up with similar DPS despite the Rifleman having 50% more guns.

In the case of the UAC2 boats, the overall slight bonus in DPS also matters more than consistency. When you have that many guns, the statistical damage will smooth out to be fairly consistent over time, unlike with the 20s where a single jam at a bad time can kill you. A single UAC2 jamming is not a big deal when you have six, and the jam will clear in a few seconds (And you're at 600m).

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

If you run uac20s, run them in pairs with the ghost heat quirk, or not at all.

There was a spreadsheet iirc that showed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/OutreachHPG/comments/841gq1/comment/dvn0nay

But yeah in general double tap that sucker.

The mad cat deathstrike hero has like a -20% jam chance so with the gauss rifle nerfs a dual uac10 mpl deathstrike is still quite excellent.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 28, 2021

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
The standard HBK-IIC can fire two UAC/20 without ghost heat which is the only time that weapon is good

It’s really good on that robbit though

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The supernova broiler too.
A bit wide but it hits like a truck with its additional srms.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I like it on my ebj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Anyways if you double tap any time during the cooldown bar, you roll to see if you proc a jam with a percentage based on the gun and any quirks or skills. Otherwise if you fire again only after the red cooldown bar goes empty, you're wasting potential dps but also you won't jam.