Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
I remember a year ago there was talk about resizing the mechs for balance purposes. Is that still on the table. I haven't heard anything since. Is that still on the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Cauldron wants it to happen, but doesn't seem like PGI is very interested in putting in the work.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Guessing PGI is miffed that a second resize has been requested when they already did one.

I was against volumetric scaling then and I feel vindicated. It made almost every 30-50 ton mech bigger except the Cent, which has been a disaster for game balance. The only mechs in that weight range which can dare operate at under 300m now are the 20 tonners.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TerminalRaptor posted:

I remember a year ago there was talk about resizing the mechs for balance purposes. Is that still on the table. I haven't heard anything since. Is that still on the table?

I believe resizing takes a lot of work to make all the little things fit together, so that's understandable imo

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, tweaking weapon stats and quirks is simple as opening a file and changing a few values.

A resize would take a proportionally greater amount of work, so I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Patch is out. Time to bring out the Hatamoto-Chis.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
The Hatamoto-Chi stinks.
I've had the most success with this one so far, it's actually pretty ok: https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=84af36ef_HTM-28TR

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Yeah, they're just a charger that isn't energy based, so it can't fit all the ballistic and missile slots that it needs because it's using IS weapons and it's an 80 tonner.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, if it had a more even mount spread it could do a 10/10/5 or 3x5 UAC build but 3B in one location just don't work for IS. UAC2's is all that'll fit and that just makes it a worse DRG-5N.

Course, if it did have decent mounts the -30% JAM would be OP so it's probably for the best. They just made the SNS-D a monster, dunno if we need any more over-tuned UAC boats at the moment.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SNS D did get some modest quirk reductions this patch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TjyvTompa posted:

Patch is out. Time to bring out the Hatamoto-Chis.

Hatamoto-Cheese

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I grabbed the Kodiak Spirit Bear as one of the free mechs from the annual event and... I think I'm in love. Running this build https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=ee029b80_KDK-SB and its so fun sprinting up to someone alpha striking them and running off like "woop woop woop woop!"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah that's the One True Spirit Bear build. Had a wonderful game in mine last night, our four man dropped with two of the Bath Salt Bears and two brawly mediums on mining collective. Scream at the team THIS IS CLAN COMMAND WE'RE GONNA loving KILL THEM PUSH THE F LINE and sprint towards the enemy at 90kph. Best brawl I've had in ages, we crashed into their alpha lance before they'd made it halfway to mid, caught a bunch of mechs out of position, had a really fun fight in a weird spot and a game full of chaos and big damage numbers.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Had my best match since returning in this bad boy!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

hell yeah weed number on cbills

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

aniviron posted:

hell yeah weed number on cbills

I'm sick today so I have been smoking weed all day. Maybe that is the secret to success.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Did some Hunch Bunch with my lance today and yesterday, and it is, in a word: sick.

I have found most mediums to be underwhelming for some time now, and brawly mediums especially. Been putting up consistent 600-800 damage games and racking up win after win with the HBK lance. I'm personally running an HBK-4H with a UAC20, and the jam chance is like magic. Double tap every time, and you get maybe one jam before you run dry on ammo.

It's durable, shits out damage, and feels agile. The only problem it has is that the UAC takes so long to fire and the cooldown quirk is so generous that I barely have time to twist damage before I am ready to rock again. If you can get an assault to take point for you, you're going to be able to lay down withering fire and win every time. Really sold on this thing's recent-ish quirks.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Just sharing this here because MW5. Finally got my mods and order settled:

quote:

ModOptions
vonBiomes
Coyotesmission
HeatSinkKits
MW5Compatibility
PilotOverhaul
PurchaseSalvage
RemoveJumpShipAnimation
TTRulez_ImmersiveHUD
TTRulez_Immersive_Compass
TTRulez_Immersive_HUD_PaperDoll
TTRulez_LanceMateOrderz
WAR_FX
AClaninvasion
harjel
YetAnotherClanMech
YetAnotherWeapon
YetAnotherWeaponClan
XenoPax_Optimize
XenoPax_Art
YetAnotherMechlab
TSMusicMod
EL_Menu
EL_Requests3
Expanded_Logos
ExpLogos_Battletech
ExpLogos_Factions
ExpLogos_Memes
ExpLogos_Mercs
ExpLogos_Requests
ExpLogos_Requests2
ExpLogos_Seraphi
ExpLogos_Vanilla
ExpLogo_Clan
RepairBays
ChangeCompanyName

This is running all the DLC. BetterSpawns broke after the latest Coyote/VonBiomes. I'm not sure which it was.

I feel like the game certainly got bigger, and better but it's still got that empty wander-about feeling.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Just sharing this here because MW5. Finally got my mods and order settled:

This is running all the DLC. BetterSpawns broke after the latest Coyote/VonBiomes. I'm not sure which it was.

I feel like the game certainly got bigger, and better but it's still got that empty wander-about feeling.

you know what's weird, I honestly think a huge part of that is calling all your hired pilots "Captain X" or "Major So-And-So"

gimme *callsigns* dude. It works in XCom and Battletech and makes you feel attached to them

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Some more voice variety wouldn't hurt either. The older Mechwarrior games did this and it was very effective.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

aniviron posted:

Some more voice variety wouldn't hurt either. The older Mechwarrior games did this and it was very effective.

also don't cap these folks' skills, you can't get attached to people when you have to keep firing them and hiring the next step up

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

OUR SNEEZE SHIELDS CANNOT REPEL A HUNGER OF THAT MAGNITUDE
Is there a good newbie guide for how to approach planning new loadouts in MW5? In particular, I have no idea how to go about balancing armor versus weapons...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Always max out your armor. There are very few situations where you don't want maxed armor; sometimes you can cut a bit from the legs, or other areas you don't get hit often/aren't important, but even on mechs with useless arms, they're expensive to replace.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

What about the ratio of front to rear? I've been using 2/3 front 1/3 rear but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not. Also, I've found that maxing armor means I have to drop something else like heat sinks, and I end up under maximum weight by around .1 tons or so. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
You can usually do more like 5 to 1 front/rear. If things are hitting you in the back, you have bigger problems. I really dislike not using every ton available and having weird fractions so in order to not waste tonnage, i'll cut a little from the legs, maybe 2 points or so from the head. The AI doesn't like to aim at legs so they're usually pretty safe. The head really depends on the mech: some like the King Crab have a huge hitbox so you need every point you can take but others are nearly impossible to hit.

If you're getting frustrated with how few slots certain mechs have and/or the uselessness of some chassis, I recommend the Yet Another Mech Lab mod, but play around with the base game first. YAML unlocks the mech lab to be essentially identical to how it works in MWO but it can be a little daunting at first.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Admiral Snackbar posted:

What about the ratio of front to rear? I've been using 2/3 front 1/3 rear but I have no idea if that's reasonable or not. Also, I've found that maxing armor means I have to drop something else like heat sinks, and I end up under maximum weight by around .1 tons or so. Is that normal, or am I doing something wrong?

You'll generally want just enough rear armor that you can take a few hits but no more than that, because in most missions you have the initiative and can ensure that there's nobody in your rear to shoot at you. In my experience, 5-10 points is actually pretty safe in general.

Admiral Snackbar
Mar 13, 2006

Thank you all for your help! Is there any general advice on chassis to actively obtain/avoid?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Admiral Snackbar posted:

Thank you all for your help! Is there any general advice on chassis to actively obtain/avoid?

If you're using the stock mechlab, you might eventually notice some mechs that have inexplicably higher amounts of free tonnage compared to others of similar weight/armor/etc, in particular Hero mechs. This is because the stock MW5 mechlab doesn't explicitly tell you that a mech has Endosteel structure, Ferro-fibrous armor, or an Extralight engine. All of them are no-cost pure upgrades in stock MW5 so mechs with one (or better yet, two) are generally always more desirable.

In MWO you really want high, converging mounts but MW5 is slower paced and the AI spreads damage around more and is generally less aggressive at taking openings, so mount spacing is less important than the number of hardpoints available to mount the weapons you want. Note that you can't put a weapon into any hardpoint - MW5 normally locks hardpoints to only certain sizes of weapons.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
I would like to be a legman please. I'll ask what to do almost all of the time (Last I played a mech game was Hawken pre death and Mech Warrior Living Legends mod of Crysis) in game as Sol Vikar

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

ChauchetRedemption posted:

I would like to be a legman please. I'll ask what to do almost all of the time (Last I played a mech game was Hawken pre death and Mech Warrior Living Legends mod of Crysis) in game as Sol Vikar

I will send you an in-game invite.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Wow snubs are getting another Nerf in the next patch. Max rage is going down by a lot.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cauldron still in denial of the long range meta?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The so-called "meta" seems pretty healthy to me? Snubs ruled so hard they got nerfed twice and their max range was like 600m.

Solo brawling in QP is just rough bc you need a handful of volunteers to push reliably and solo players tend to hang back and use their teammates to soak aggro.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Marx Headroom posted:

Solo brawling in QP is just rough bc you need a handful of volunteers to push reliably and solo players tend to hang back and use their teammates to soak aggro.

I was not having fun this past weekend playing with my assaults. I'd be on the front line, soak all the attention with my teammates were hiding way behind, then I'd fall back to second line, and watch the firing line immediate regroup behind me again giving up whatever position we had. It was infuriating because this happened several matches in a row where we got stomped, and given the low player count it was almost always the same people doing this poo poo. I need to be better about just walking a way for a bit when it happens.

Quick pay is great when you get a group of players who know what they're doing. People love to complain about lack of communication, but when you have a good group you don't explicitly need to call things, like sharing armor.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I'll admit that I've probably gotten too timid as an overcompensation for being too reckless when I was starting out.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's the Counter Strike problem, if you gamble with a rush and die, your reward is not getting to play the game for the next five minutes. If you sit back and play slow/peek angles, you're probably going to get to play most of the round most of the time. Neither strategy is particularly more or less likely to succeed, especially outside of competitive play, so everyone gravitates to the playstyle that doesn't punish them.

In MWO the problem is worse because the rounds are longer, there is more time between rounds, and rushing is relatively less effective than CS and other games like it. In other games the time to kill might be low enough that you can take a roomful of dudes by surprise, spray them down and be a hero. In MWO if you turn the corner into the enemy team you might kill or one two guys in the back but the most likely result is that 12 people light you up and you accomplish nothing.

And yes, brawling/aggressive play does work better with a group. The problem is that so does literally everything, so that's not a feature of brawling. If you organize a competent lazervomit firing line or a light gauss sniper squad with your 4 man, you will almost certainly win the vast majority of your games, same as if you bring four competent brawlers. If anything, I'd argue that the brawling squad is still harder because it requires alerting your team to what you are doing and hoping they play along.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

aniviron posted:

And yes, brawling/aggressive play does work better with a group. The problem is that so does literally everything, so that's not a feature of brawling. If you organize a competent lazervomit firing line or a light gauss sniper squad with your 4 man, you will almost certainly win the vast majority of your games, same as if you bring four competent brawlers. If anything, I'd argue that the brawling squad is still harder because it requires alerting your team to what you are doing and hoping they play along.

To this point, you'll note that in most competitive matches teams are built around a solid base of mid-to-long-range trading platforms with their flanks well protected.

I also feel like the current state of weapon balance doesn't really favor brawling. Ever since the Heat Rescale, sustained DPS has risen and squeezed out the brawling niche. Previously, if a Brawler managed to push into his preferred range without taking severe damage, he often enjoyed a 2:1 or higher DPS ratio over mid and long-range builds. Like, if an IV-4 got in on an Ebon Jag it could steamroll with little more than a scratch.

Now, though, weapons hit hard enough and cool down fast enough that even the hottest alpha builds can give a respectable trade when under heavy pressure. So rather than dominating knife fights, Brawlers are merely the heavy favorite. That wouldn't be so bad, except that they get dominated at anything other than knife fights.

The archetype has gone from feast or famine to... a light snack or famine.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

The skill tree rework also further pushed the scales. I find a lot of my builds that used to run a bit too hot to work at close range are perfectly viable in knife fights now. Mechs like the Warhawk that once had to pick between taking structure or mostly full heat gen nodes now get both, and I can deliver much better pinpoint and DPS not dissimilar to a brawler without overheating if I get pushed.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, pretty much every change in the past couple of years, from weapon balance to map alterations, has resulted in faster and more dynamic games. That's not a bad thing for the overall health of the game, but it does suck for the one specific archetype that thrived on punishing mechs built for a much slower, more methodical meta. Was a lot easier to play a Brawler when Clan Vomit mechs were everywhere and took fifteen seconds to cool off between alphas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you