Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

RangerKarl posted:

I don't think I've ever even hit the conditions to play the campaigns aside from kestrel lancers. do they reward you well ?

To be honest, the main strength is that you're playing missions that aren't the cookie cutter proc gens and there's a soupçon of narrative ( there's also generally some lostech and/or a hero mech at the end as well ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

RangerKarl posted:

I don't think I've ever even hit the conditions to play the campaigns aside from kestrel lancers. do they reward you well ?

The Kurita xpac gave you some cool custom hero-ish mechs like a Catapult with PPCs shaped like dragons

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
So I stopped playing the the career and started a new campaign since YAML is updated ( I'm currently downloading the updated versions of Coyotes and Von Biomes ) since I do like starting in 3015 and building up from there. You do have immediate access to Arena matches in the Industrial sectors however they're not weighted by your Merc Rating or Arena sponsor standings so you're just as likely to find a 4v4 with a 400t limit as a 35t limit 16 player FFA the moment the first couple of missions are out of the way and you're let loose on the galaxy. I have done the the FFA and a 145t limited 4vs4 and they were fun, and the different sponsors have their own voiced announcers ( if you ran Star Map Mouse Over Mission Logos like I do, it doesn't correctly display exactly what Arena contracts are available just that they are there ). I've had a brief play with the new Rapid Fire ACs and on paper they're marginally more DPS than the standard counterparts. The AC 10R can fire 3 shots in the time it takes you to fire a single AC 10 standard shot, doing something like 3.47 damage per hit, however the accuracy at range starts to suffer and it's using the same ammo pool. This means 1t of AC10 ammo is 40 rounds whether you're using the AC 10R or standard, so while the AC 10R is more DPS ( as long as every shot hits ) you're going to empty that bin a lot faster ( you're trading a slightly higher DPS for a significantly lower damage per ton of ammo ). Also my MWO experience had long turned me off the idea of dakka builds over short duration high burst damage and lots of torso twisting so they probably weren't really going to be my thing. Apparently the PPC-X is a close range monster, it's basically a PPC shotgun that's putting a lot of damage into your target out to a couple of hundred metres and worthless beyond 300m ( so ideal for Arenas I guess, and I have a mind to try one on a Cicada ) and the Binary Laser isn't reviewing well ( a hotter slower ROF LPL ). If you're planning to do the Solaris campaign co-op there are definitely a few missions your co-op partner will have to sit out of ( as it's just Mason on his own in the arena or alongside Duncan ). There have been reports that friendly AI has troubles navigating in some of the Arenas but I haven't run enough to experience that for myself, and I really can't tell if there's been any improvements in my early campaign.

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 16, 2024

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

My big questions about the update are "does Duncan get treated like a joke character" and "does this mean I can finally find higher tier chemical lasers in the shops"?

I'm assuming the AI is still passive and useless, but hopefully less so.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

so the solaris dlc is worth it?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

ilmucche posted:

so the solaris dlc is worth it?
Maybe? I barely scratched the surface of the Solaris career before starting up a new campaign and I've been really digging the arena matches. I really like the PPC-X on my CN9-AL which has proven to be quite the brawler. The catch is, if you're already playing MW5 with mods like Coyotes or YAML with all it's add ons ( YAML now has a Leopard upgrade tree which really behoves you to work those Cantina missions hard )you wouldn't be missing much if you skipped it. I can't speak to the Solaris campaign proper but the consensus seems to be that the AI struggles navigating through the maps which has taken the shine off for some of folks playing through it ( I believe Baradul had some opinions to this effect when he was streaming it, but I haven't seen the streams myself ).
Ultimately my take on it is, "yay more content!", and I didn't mind spending AUD $21 on it but for you that may not be enough.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
new weapon patch notes

https://mwomercs.com/news/2024/03/2846-patch-notes-142930-19march2024

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

are there any clear winners on what is worth using?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I picked up the Solaris DLC for MW5 and first arena mission only 3/4 of the enemies spawned in. I learned this only after scouring every inch of the map piloting a loving Atlas.

I reloaded the mission in case the enemy spawned underground or something. Same thing happened. A+

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Patch is live so I hopped in to see how many plasma cannons I could shove on a robot. Went to the skills tab, and I can only reset skill trees. No edits, just repec to 0 and then you can't add the skills back.

Am I missing a new "feature", or is this just a :pgi:?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Floppychop posted:

I picked up the Solaris DLC for MW5 and first arena mission only 3/4 of the enemies spawned in. I learned this only after scouring every inch of the map piloting a loving Atlas.

I reloaded the mission in case the enemy spawned underground or something. Same thing happened. A+

Do you have any mods installed? I had that happen a few times (pre-Solaris DLC) and I believe it was the Coyote Mission pack causing some enemies to spawn underground and be inaccessable.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Do you have any mods installed? I had that happen a few times (pre-Solaris DLC) and I believe it was the Coyote Mission pack causing some enemies to spawn underground and be inaccessable.

Just YAML and its ilk.

Speaking of YAML, they put a Urbanmech UM-SA1 that shows up in arena missions that is obscene. It has a PPC-X, light BF rifle, and runs insanely fast. I'm not sure the exact number because I haven't been able to loot one, but it leaves fleas and spiders in the dust. I'm not sure if that's in the vanilla version as well, but holy hell that thing makes the light mech FFAs a nightmare.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Floppychop posted:

Just YAML and its ilk.

Speaking of YAML, they put a Urbanmech UM-SA1 that shows up in arena missions that is obscene. It has a PPC-X, light BF rifle, and runs insanely fast. I'm not sure the exact number because I haven't been able to loot one, but it leaves fleas and spiders in the dust. I'm not sure if that's in the vanilla version as well, but holy hell that thing makes the light mech FFAs a nightmare.
The UM-SA1 is a Solaris mech not YAML

And the first time I saw it I thought it was bugged because it moves like greased lightning.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

armchairyoda posted:

Patch is live so I hopped in to see how many plasma cannons I could shove on a robot. Went to the skills tab, and I can only reset skill trees. No edits, just repec to 0 and then you can't add the skills back.

Yeah don't do that, just click on the nodes next time.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman
lol, no kidding!

I dunno tho, maybe it was just some weird issue with running it from a vm or some other nerdy bs.

I’m too lazy to troubleshoot rn. :v:

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
If you like Duncan Fisher's schtick ( and I am a fan ) then you do get more Duncan ( and I'm all for George Ledoux collecting another pay check ), the Solaris campaign is pretty light weight though. Completing the story gets you Duncan as an arena commentator ( so less Jackson and Cotton, but I'm pretty sure there's a mod that removes them entirely if you're really annoyed by them ) and you'll score a couple of the new Solaris Mech variants and an Annihilator at the end ( but if you've started with the main campaign, you're not hurting for top tier mechs at that stage ). I didn't see any of the new Solaris variants available for sale or as salvage so the only way I can tell you can get them is the couple from the Solaris missions and every 10 arena fame ranks ( maybe they start appearing on the market post Solaris missions but I haven't come across them ). The arena fights themselves aren't amazing, they're fine when they don't bug out ( I've had one arena match where one of the opponents hadn't spawned ), and they're just another way to gain MRB XP, currency, salvage and the arena fame rewards can sometimes be pretty good.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

A friend and I play a lot of co-op and the new DLC isn't very friendly to that. A fair amount of the story missions the host plays while everyone else just spectates, then any of the FFA arenas it's the same issue.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah I was surprised by how little the actual Solaris campaign is designed to actually accommodate Co-op. Though the proc gen FFAs usually let you bring a 2nd Mech if you're okay with splitting your 100 ton allowance up.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

armchairyoda posted:

Plasma cannons are unfortunately extremely bad right now, regular PPCs are better in every sense.
SB-Gauss is incredible, running a gauss mech for the first time ever.

There is a "bug/feature" with beam lasers that enables you to fire them without ghost heat. It will get fixed in the next patch but for now enjoy melting people in seconds with this simple trick:
Create weapon groups with 2 beam lasers in each. Fire 2, wait 0.5 seconds then fire the next 2, wait 0.5 seconds and add the last 2. You can fire 6, or even 7, beam lasers at the same time just melting people in seconds.
I don't do this myself but people have been doing it with MAD-IICs, MC-IIs, DWF, SRs....

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
MechWarrior 5 postin' here, so skip as desired.

Picked up MW5 on sale (Steam) a while back, after watching YubTub plays of both it and MWO, and thinking I might be able to handle in my currently-more-decrepit state. (Car accident in February of last year left me with aggrivated back issues limiting my time seated, while a torn rotator cuff and more nerve damage in both hands causing more pain/loss of feeling/function respectively.)

I finally installed, and did some mouse'n'keyboard play, and it does appear that isn't impossibly twitch-dependent, but trying mouse/throttle was even better, and full HOTAS was great. (Except for the notorious Saitek X52 joystick twist glitchiness, but I'll either get that sorted or just not use thst axis.)

But now I want mods... and not "smash my balls in a car door difficulty" mods. This appears to be the defaukt MW5 thread, but going back a year in posts doesn't show much mod commentary. (Avoid the Baradul modpack for overpowered everything, YAML sounds like that as well but I kinda want to see if it can be denatured some; coming in from RogueTech and would love to have the same options for ridiculousness.)

So, are there any goon-recommended mods/modpacks? Or any to nope the gently caress away from? I'd even settle for trustworthy sources for recommendations/reviews. (Text/image preferred, or videos by people who know how to get to the point and clearly state pros/cons why yes I've watched a lot of shite videos for assorted games already :suicide:)

(Base game only, I didn't want to buy the DLCs until I knew I'd be able to play/enjoy it, and I'll have to wait for sales as my income has tanked horribly; my computer was never bleeding-edge powerful, but seems to handle the base game decently so far. Going to try Von Biomes a little later tonight, on somewhat lower than max settings, to see if it'll cause HCF errors.)

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yet Another Mechlab is the gold standard, IMO. Yet Another Weapon goes along with it to offer some more lore-accurate weapon diversity. After that, I just run mainly UI mods like Better Lancemate Status and so on, plus graphics mods to make everything look cool.

I'm actually pretty satisfied with this, because I just treat MW5 as a fun mechstomper and YAML lets you fuss around with mech internals to an extensive and honestly eventually OP extent. You can pick up map packs and mission type packs if you like, though in my experience they complicate the game too much for my tastes.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I highly recommend Von Biomes. Note that it will take a fairly hefty computer to run, but it adds a ton of variety to the maps both visually as well as the kind of areas in which you fight. The environments look even better than the defaults.

I also like Coyote's Mission Pack. It adds some slightly dodgy writing and voice acting in a few areas and most of the new mission types are harder than the defaults at the same difficulty level, but I think it's worth it for the added mission variety, especially super late game. You get some stuff like proper base attack & defend contests against assault lances, combat dropship enemies, and overall just a lot of new stuff to play with.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The YAML stuff is great. Sure if you're in endgame, loaded out with the best clan salvage you get overpowered, but it also shines in the early game You can set it to run salvage like HBS Battletech, where you build your salvage from parts, which really slows down what you put together. You're not going to find that salvage just anywhere, and you can't even afford it most of the time. It's risky taking that shiny CERPPC out because it's drat near irreplaceable right now. Add in all the fiddly internal components and you make whatever poo poo you find early sing, or you're duct taping whatever shitbox you can find together.

My last run my early king was some poo poo Cicada but I managed to salvage the XL engine and two UAC/5s. Not impressive at a glance, but even high tech stuff on a fragile chassis made it interesting to play. And I really couldn't find enough salvage to put together a better mech for the weapons, so I was really at the mercy of whatever I could find, and whatever I could tape to it.

aniviron posted:

I highly recommend Von Biomes. Note that it will take a fairly hefty computer to run, but it adds a ton of variety to the maps both visually as well as the kind of areas in which you fight. The environments look even better than the defaults.

I also like Coyote's Mission Pack. It adds some slightly dodgy writing and voice acting in a few areas and most of the new mission types are harder than the defaults at the same difficulty level, but I think it's worth it for the added mission variety, especially super late game. You get some stuff like proper base attack & defend contests against assault lances, combat dropship enemies, and overall just a lot of new stuff to play with.

These are both good too, but some combination of them can spawn unbeatable missions. Not too difficult, but stuff that doesn't spawn or spawns under the map. It's rare, but it's a bummer to make it mostly through a long mission to only find that your last mandatory target will never show up. But when it's good, it's a great addition to the game.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I will recommend against von biomes as it has caused me the most issues of almost every mod.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

YAML does not make the game piss easy because of anything inherent to it, it makes the game piss easy because it rips off the guide rails that were added to the mech garage in an attempt to deal with the fact that BattleTech was designed before the concept of "game balance" was invented.

What I would really like is something that allows for loving with the engine and internals and stuff like YAML does, but instead of using the MWO-style hardpoints, it keeps the MW5 slots.

I will be in the "no Coyote, it's all shitstomps one way or the other" camp.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Well, tried Von Biomes... and it ran fine, while I was all staring at the scenery godDAMN. Good thing I finally looked at the drop prep screen and found that I could have AI lancemates. (I are teh dumb.)

Currently running (major):

Von Biomes
WAR_FX (conflicting with Von Biomes, should be able to work that out - Baradul uses both, apparently)
Sound Of The Inner Sphere (not sure if working, only done Instant Assassination so far)
Enhanced Critical (now *that's* a fukken stackpole - default Steam version, may switch to Nexus one)
Mod Options (only Nexus mod so far, everything else is Steam)

QoL stuff:

Colorized Heatgauge
ArmorGreen
Compass Headings
Aim Assist Chevron Reticke
Larger Weapon List Text
Intelligible Enemy Radio Chatter (may turn that off, or see if there's one that just cleans up some of the garble)
Heatwarn XL
Better Lance Mate Status
High Visibility Torso Twist
QOL Upgrades 2 - Thermals and Headlights
Mechwarrior 2 Fonts
Increased Treefall Animation Rate

YAML is a definite "may wait until after storyline playthrough", because RogueTech-style mech salvage/assembly will likely increase the difficulty of "normal" play.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Oh, yeah, I completely forgot the Advanced Zoom mod. It adds x4 and x8 zoom, because only going up to x2 is loving bullshit.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
My modlist is:
YAML
Coyotes Mission overhaul
Von Biomes
Advanced Zoom
Leopard Colours ( repaint the Leopard to closer match your preferred colour scheme )
330's Pilot Overhaul ( allows you to customise pilot portraits, names and voice - I also like the perks system but some of the voiced pilot recruitment missions are bugged )
Star Map Mouse Over ( allows you to preview contracts available in a system by type, drop weight and factions involved )
Parley ( more negotiation points )
Stacked Crates ( more battlefield loot, I do turn off the Star League crates because while the rewards are often obscenely good, running into 400t of mechs 20 minutes into your career/campaign can really ruin your day )
Last Man Standing ( If you rescue the Black Jack pilot in the campaign mission you meet Freeman, he'll also join your Merc company )
Additional Emblems and portraits ( more emblems, what's not to like? )

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
MechWarrior 5: Clans Preview – Bringing Narrative-Driven Campaign Back to MechWarrior courtesy of IGN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tx55vXo_no

quote:

MechWarrior 5: Clans, then, appears to be exactly what I’ve been asking for: a narrative-led MechWarrior campaign that also happens to offer five-player co-op. It picks up immediately where 2019’s MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries – itself the first single-player MechWarrior game of any kind since 2002 – left off. I got a first-look demo of Clans and really liked what I saw.
Clans casts you as Smoke Jaguar clan in, as usual, the 31st century amid ongoing clan-based Mech warfare. You’ve got five teammates to work with: Jayden, Liam, Mia, Nasir, and Ezra. You’ll hear the most from Jayden, the star’s leader (a star is a group of five Mechs in the BattleTech universe, if you weren’t familiar). When playing in single-player you can either take direct control of any of them at any given time, or you can issue orders from either a quickly accessed radial menu or a battlefield map that you can pull up anytime – all of it in real-time without any pausing of the combat. For what it’s worth, they seem reasonably good at executing those orders if you leave the friendly AI to do the work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4cynz7PBdw

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 3, 2024

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oooh, I'm really excited. I like the updated UI, the real-time orders look really slick (assuming that they work), and the voice acting sounds cheesy as hell. All good things in my book. I also like that we'll be playing as Smoke Jaguar, the biggest pieces of poo poo in the setting. I hope they lean in to being the villain, at least at the start of the campaign, I like my Clanners with moustaches fully twirled.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
No Guts No Galaxy's take
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg47PDHA1vI

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

i hope the game includes luthien and tukayyid. the clans suck

Marx Headroom posted:

The Clans should be cringey in a Starship Troopers way not a Thin Blue Line Punisher logo way, if that makes sense, and I'm not sure the PGI writers understand this

I guess what I'm saying is, Smoke Jaguar missions should not have a "targets scanned" counter. They should have a "civilians killed" counter, and your CO should yell gibberish at you for walking past a prominently labeled orphanage without firing your lasers at it. The entire game should be the Old King route from AC4A. You should be wandering into minefields and losing honor points for shooting at legs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I like that they are doing hand crafted maps but I got a feeling we are not gonna see a career mode of sorts until one or two more DLCs

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I want to know how the mechlab works, but I don't think the demo included that, so we're not getting any information.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

MechaCrash posted:

I want to know how the mechlab works, but I don't think the demo included that, so we're not getting any information.

Apparently Russ confirmed that the Mechlab is still in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY2KC4R1H3c

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I assumed that it was in, because at this point it's so expected that there would probably be a riot if there weren't, but I don't know what it's actually like. Are we getting a slot thing like MW5? Is it going to be expanded like how MW4 had it? MWO style hardpoints?

Unless you mean "the mechlab was in the demo," in which case okay, can we get a screenshot or something.

Also, that video is twenty five minutes long, I am not watching that whole thing to get a nugget of information about a game I already know I'm getting.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

MechaCrash posted:

I assumed that it was in, because at this point it's so expected that there would probably be a riot if there weren't, but I don't know what it's actually like. Are we getting a slot thing like MW5? Is it going to be expanded like how MW4 had it? MWO style hardpoints?

Unless you mean "the mechlab was in the demo," in which case okay, can we get a screenshot or something.

Also, that video is twenty five minutes long, I am not watching that whole thing to get a nugget of information about a game I already know I'm getting.

So no actual details, the video is just the NGNG guy gushing over the trailer and speculating that as the clan mechs didn't display variants in the gameplay footage UI ( ie it's just a Shadowcat SHC, not a SHC-Prime or SHC-A, B whatever ) you're primarily just swapping omnipods depending on what you're expecting to face in the upcoming mission.
Whether or not you can adjust the loadouts of the omnipods MWO style is an unknown, presumably you're not looting weapons off the IS mechs you've killed along the way and stuffing them into the omnipods, so my guess ( based on the fact that Russ has been pushing this as a narrative campaign rather than the open one of Mercs ) is that you're going to be awarded mechs/omnipods/weapons ( if the omnipods are adjustable ) at the end of missions and as rewards for batchalls given during the missions.

Since the footage is early demo - work in progress and not reflective of the final product, it's all :speculate:

( I am under no illusion that PGI are going to go to crazy amounts of effort here )

ZombyDog fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 4, 2024

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
so playing MWO and there is tons of new weapons, are any good? I saw an adder with like 8 guass or something and seeing these mag thingies everywhere but I have no idea if I should be using any

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

C-AP Gauss are a pretty good side grade for machine guns if you want more value against armor.
Magshot are the same thing but being 2 slots is limiting.

Light and Proto ACs are worse in every measurement except weight, so mostly useful in bigger mech builds with unused ballistic hard points.

SB Gauss gets shorter cooldown and charge time at the cost of spread. Worth it mid-range or close.

Plasma Cannons don't seem worth it, but I haven't used them much.

Beam Lasers have the flamethrower heat thing, with an internal capacitor for the group and then scaling heat to the mech when that fills. Will have to see how popular they are when the ghost heat thing is fixed, but the assaults running around with 6 of them are scary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
is there any silly lights that could do the C-AP Gauss, that might be fun,

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=8f362944_ADR-WL

guess this?

(also wtf is this adder, i dont see this for sale)

I got a myst Lynx, would this be alright?

https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechlab?b=1d22c6c1_MLX-G

by.a.teammate fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 9, 2024