Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Or, you knonw, the mech. If you want to run dual LBX on a MCII do it on the MCII-2. They're wasted on the DS.

I get that not everyone feels like they have the twitch skills to play Gauss or PPCs effectively. I'd rate my own aim as below average, but when someone asks, "hey what's the best x or y for mech zed," I'm going to give the default optimal answer. If that's not their preference because of play-style or some other limitation that's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I loved Steel Battalion for the original Xbox and nothing beat using this thing:

But I've just noticed that Thrustmaster have released this (complete with pre-defined but customisable MWO key mappings):

Steel Battalion used footpedals too, but the Thrustmaster also has the ability to use them too!

Extremely tempted! Thoughts?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Angelwolf posted:

Do you hate winning or something?

Corn Burst
Jun 18, 2004

Blammo!

Angelwolf posted:

If you would like to tier down a few ranks and have too much money in your bank account, then go hog wild!

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Angelwolf posted:

I too loved steel battalion, and wish I actually owned it. However the current Mechwarrior design makes KB+M so much more usable that anything else is just gimping you. If you have the money and must spend it, save it for MW5Mercs.

Dual stick+throttle setup would be pretty slick for Elite Dangerous though, if you're into that sort of thing.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Hey man, didn't you know that gaming peripherals give you the edge?

Purchased (oh god)

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I too loved steel battalion, and wish I actually owned it. However the current Mechwarrior design makes KB+M so much more usable that anything else is just gimping you. If you have the money and must spend it, save it for MW5Mercs.

Dual stick+throttle setup would be pretty slick for Elite Dangerous though, if you're into that sort of thing.

I was actually thinking about using them for MW5 Mercs. Not tried Elite Dangerous but Descent was just re-released on Steam which I picked up this time around.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I owned Steel Battalion when it came out. It was a ton of fun but I still don't know if it was worth it. The controller slowly broke apart on me over time with switches and knobs falling off.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I'd love to have that setup, but not for MWO. I would use it for space sims and singleplayer mech games but MWO just requires the precision a mouse gives you in aiming; and the mech body movements are not set up to take advantage of the gradations that might otherwise give a joystick an edge over a keyboard.

Cool as gently caress though, and if you'd rather have fun than win, it sounds kickass. Let us know how it works.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

god I wish they made a new chromehounds

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

free hubcaps posted:

:pray:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Polka_Rapper posted:

please no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR4eLqdIIWQ

it still hurts to this very day

seeing a reminder in the cockpit would be too much pain

Time to dig out something I made when I was still starry eyed and hopeful.

also everyone should own a Dragon with a 350 XL engine.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Axetrain posted:

I owned Steel Battalion when it came out. It was a ton of fun but I still don't know if it was worth it. The controller slowly broke apart on me over time with switches and knobs falling off.

The controller was, for the most part, pretty sturdy but yeah, having your Oxygen switch fly off on start up was a pain.
There were tweaks you could do to the controller to help prolong its life. I seem to remember a lot of people removing one of the two springs from each of the foot pedals because of the amount of strain they'd put on the components.
And I don't know a single person who would close their eject button cover because god drat the potential of losing your pilot in a blaze of permadeath was scary - and that's a good thing, because that cover definitely felt flimsy.

If you had it when it came out, did you also purchase Line of Contact?

free hubcaps posted:

Check out M.A.V - it's a spiritual successor, apparently...

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Angelwolf posted:

If you had it when it came out, did you also purchase Line of Contact?

Nope just the original, and I didn't purchase it. It was a Christmas gift I got from a generous Grandma. My highschool friends were certainly very impressed when they came over to play games though!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The HBK-IIC-A ER PPC sniper from the OP kicks rear end, finally made him so I'd have a guy with PPCs and already paying off.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

My general feeling is that mediums make the best snipers. You can do it in a heavy or assault, but the team would much rather have your tonnage on the main line to share armor. As for lights, they can't really fit enough heatsinks to output reasonable DPS.

But a medium hits that sweet spot of fragility plus heatsink capacity to suit the playstyle, and it's hard to beat the HBK-IIC. Decent speed, high mounts, jump jets and gobs of DHS thanks to Clan tech.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I'm still obsessed with running Griffins as my only medium I regularly use. I don't know why, I just like em.

I own every variant of the Zeus and I don't know what to do with them, they're in that weird spot of having assault levels of hardpoints but not having enough tonnage to make use of all of them reasonably. I may just be bad at fitting mechs, though the Zeus is the only one that's given me trouble figuring out a decent loadout for. :shrug:
Any suggestions? I generally like brawling, but don't mind trying other stuff out, and any variant is fine.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Xenothral posted:

I'm still obsessed with running Griffins as my only medium I regularly use. I don't know why, I just like em.

I own every variant of the Zeus and I don't know what to do with them, they're in that weird spot of having assault levels of hardpoints but not having enough tonnage to make use of all of them reasonably. I may just be bad at fitting mechs, though the Zeus is the only one that's given me trouble figuring out a decent loadout for. :shrug:
Any suggestions? I generally like brawling, but don't mind trying other stuff out, and any variant is fine.

Unfortunately, the Zeus suffers from a tragic flaw—it's not the Victor. They're both 80 tons, but the Victor has armor quirks to the Zeus' structure, jump jets, and generally superior mounts. Worse still, every single Zeus has lower arm actuators, which lock it out of mounting an AC/20 and makes brawling with it a non-starter. Nothing the Zeus can fit comes close to matching the VTR-9S.

The one decent Zeus build I've spotted in the wild is the MRM/LPL ZEU-6T. It's not outstanding, but stops well short of being an embarrassment. Just make sure to protect that right arm.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

Unfortunately, the Zeus suffers from a tragic flaw—it's not the Victor. They're both 80 tons, but the Victor has armor quirks to the Zeus' structure, jump jets, and generally superior mounts. Worse still, every single Zeus has lower arm actuators, which lock it out of mounting an AC/20 and makes brawling with it a non-starter. Nothing the Zeus can fit comes close to matching the VTR-9S.

The one decent Zeus build I've spotted in the wild is the MRM/LPL ZEU-6T. It's not outstanding, but stops well short of being an embarrassment. Just make sure to protect that right arm.

Dang. Should I sell my Zeuses then, or is that a bad call? I'll definitely look into grabbing a Victor though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Never sell any mech ever if you can help it. You never know what capricious round of balancing bullshit the next major patch or game update will bring. Like, they gave the Urbanmech so many quirks that's it's now a good mech. That's how crazy things can get.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

Right on. It might be awhile before I actually get a Victor anyway because I have so many other mechs I've bought and just not gotten around to actually building yet. Like my Wolfhounds and Cougers.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Never sell any mech ever if you can help it. You never know what capricious round of balancing bullshit the next major patch or game update will bring. Like, they gave the Urbanmech so many quirks that's it's now a good mech. That's how crazy things can get.

Is this in the OP? Cuz that's one of those things that should be in the OP.

I mocked my friend for buying a Pretty Baby, and then did it even more once he sold it like the Smart Guy he is.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Pretty Baby is a bad mech and he should never have bought it, but selling it for cbills after buying it for real money was even dumber.

Also, the urbanmech was unironically always a good mech. It had an excellent peeking profile and due to the low engine cap could afford to mount and fire a lot of weapons that its contemporaries could not. Now it's an even better mech that is outperforming the other lights after being buffed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Commoners posted:

Pretty Baby is a bad mech and he should never have bought it, but selling it for cbills after buying it for real money was even dumber.

Yeah like in what universe could you ever think that's a good idea.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Had to bring mine out when I saw your post, really great mech:

But you know, of course, without any JJs:

Thuneral
Jul 25, 2004
High Listener For Music Awful

Those thrustmaster things look nice. The best I ever did at this terrible money grab of a game was using a mouse and my joystick as the controllers and never touching my keyboard again. Joystick for all movement, mouse for all aiming and shooting.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xenothral posted:

The energy variant can run a decent laser vomit on the left side and shield with the right deadside. This mitigates the mech's profile problems and puts the structure quirks to good use, and the Zeus has great torso twist speed so it's easy to protect your weapons. The low mounts will always be a big handicap, but I think this is as good as a Zeus can get.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Thuneral posted:

Those thrustmaster things look nice. The best I ever did at this terrible money grab of a game was using a mouse and my joystick as the controllers and never touching my keyboard again. Joystick for all movement, mouse for all aiming and shooting.

Actually I used a Thrustmaster for mech movement and a mouse for shooting too. It's quite reasonable and you can do cool things like make the trigger target lock and assign gadgets to the thumbstick on top.

Just checking thread because I was thinking about MW due to the strategy game beta. Are clan mechs still kind of stupid powerful compared to innersphere mechs in clan warfare? How has power creep been recently?

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

It's kind of evened out with the tech update I feel like. I haven't actually done faction play in forever though so maybe it's still dreadfully one-sided.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

I think this is as good as a Zeus can get.

Which is sad, because it caps out at 6E so it can't run the 3LL/4ERML builds that are the current meta for IS Vomit. A build that fits on the RGH-3A, Top Dog, WHM-6D, and a few different Grasshoppers despite those mechs being 10-15 tons lighter than the Zeus.

Toalpaz posted:

Just checking thread because I was thinking about MW due to the strategy game beta. Are clan mechs still kind of stupid powerful compared to innersphere mechs in clan warfare? How has power creep been recently?

It's evened up considerably, to the point that IS might even have a slight edge in FP thanks to their higher drop weight.

The tech update was a godsend for the LFE alone. IS mechs now have the option of saving some weight on their engine without needing to run suicide shoulders.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Xenothral posted:

It's kind of evened out with the tech update I feel like. I haven't actually done faction play in forever though so maybe it's still dreadfully one-sided.

Skippy McPants posted:

It's evened up considerably, to the point that IS might even have a slight edge in FP thanks to their higher drop weight.

The tech update was a godsend for the LFE alone. IS mechs now have the option of saving some weight on their engine without needing to run suicide shoulders.

Oh cool, I'll look into it and maybe reinstall sometime. Thanks!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TjyvTompa posted:

But you know, of course, without any JJs:

Are you planning to run up to another mech and explode with that bomb in your right torso? Seriously, put that stuff somewhere else.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skippy McPants posted:

Caveat: No one individual mech is really balanced one way or the other. IS doesn't really have an answer to the Hellbringer, nothing voms quite like it does; but then, Clans just shouldn't even bother with scouting because IS has such a ridiculously huge advantage there. There's enough balance to the unbalance that it roughly evens out.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

EoRaptor posted:

Are you planning to run up to another mech and explode with that bomb in your right torso? Seriously, put that stuff somewhere else.

Extremely this, spread it out a bit. Also, you can take out two tons of SRM ammo and maybe a ton of AC/20 ammo to put in jump jets.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

EoRaptor posted:

I like to live dangerously.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Piranha update: it's about the same hight as a Mist Lynx but not quite as wide. Has mobility stats somewhere between the Lynx and the Commando. Also, in an odd twist, the PIR-B has better base mobility than the other variants. Probably to make up for its smaller number of ballistics hardpoints.

Either way, the size and mobility stats are good enough that you can expect to see a lot of them come the 23rd. Have fun getting your backs crit out!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have a feeling that it's going to be by far the best light when it comes out; and the funnest thing to do will be to not play until they're out for CB.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/01/1992-patch-notes-14145-23jan2018

Heavy Gauss rifle optimal range increased by 40m, BRB owning lights with the ANH

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Clan heat gen nerf makes me sad, but it's understandable.

The cMPL nerf is just baffling, though. It already hardly sees use over the ERML.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Hooooo baby I am going to BRING BACK the SHD-5M. You will all see. You will all fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Maybe something like this for the -5M?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=112&l=532a50fd2a6d893ea361a79a3751179d3290a8eb