Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
LRM's are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Skoll posted:

I miss when we'd drop in LRM 5 Centurions. poo poo was fun.

Its so weird you say that because we ran 3 centurions the other day lrming with a dedicated spotter (not engaging, just holding locks being sneaky) and it was pretty effective.

Lrms are pretty map dependant thou

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Time to retool the streakcrow

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Motherfucker, they fixed the Wolf Warhorn thing just as I got on, it's 1 now. :smith:

Silver Lining: You dont have to drop as a kitfox

Wonder if they are taking away everybodys warhorns

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Breaking news: PGI deletes 90 hard-earned warhorns from struggling, lower class kitfox pilots

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I loaded them on every mech I had. Shitfox included. They'll have to work to get em. Well, work as much as a whole extra line or two of code.

Prediction: you'll have negative warhorns when the deed is done

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ChickenWing posted:

hello I CBA to read anything more than the OP and bits of page 1, did this game ever pull itself out of the giant lovely hole it dug itself into or is it still a bad game that goons are currently just enjoying ironically?

Its fun, but fun is subjective. Install, get on discord and find out.

We've had a pretty solid group to roll with lately

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I did find one, tried it but goons got frusterated because it wasnt 100% the same as the other one, it was pretty click-baity

Also Stalker, ticket doesnt say who was askin? Ive been around and I've not heard any goons talk about it. But Im on pacific hours

If you do hand it off say give it to beefy, or eoraptor

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 14, 2018

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

free hubcaps posted:

Also also I got a cn9-a from a loot cache, what do I do with this thing

If you are space poor i'd sell it. If you are super space poor and need to run it you can put srm's in it but there are mechs that do that job far better. Centurions are kinda mediocre

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 15, 2018

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

And you're trying to tell us it's... good? I don't understand.

Look at the one match against rando's. Literally every match will be like that

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My most shameful mech? I bought a tempest when I was drunk.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My Atlas tip is don't play one. Playing assaults can be pretty unforgiving in public queue, atlas is lacking

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

I was replaying MW4: Mercenaries and now I've got the robot itch. Last time I played this Clan Mechs were introduced and were pay2win, is that still the case?

eh things are in an OK place. You'll get a couple horseshit things here and there (like the ridiculous critting of MG heavy builds right now) but its fine.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TheKingslayer posted:

The assassin build in the OP is fun as hell.

This is the correct answer. A 40 ton srm bomber that goes 140ish kph, can get good results with 2 jj's, and has horeshit hitboxes. If it had ecm i'd cream my jeans

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Reporting in on sebmojo's recommendation to scratch my stompytank itch :v:. Hope it's fun, I don't remember anything about playing the game (even though at some point it appears I got a founder's pack of some kind :saddowns:)

I know gently caress all and zero about battletech in general and this game in particular. On a scale of one to "trying to play CS:GO" how hosed for sane matchups am I likely to be? Any recommended mechs that are more forgiving of a "iron wall" approach to fights (i.e. i suck at dodging/maneuver/awareness)?

Join up the discord.

It isn't as twitch-shooty as CSGO or PUBG, mechs are slower and take some time to bring down. Does pay to have good aim thou when sniping off sideloaded shoulders or whatnot, all of which just comes with experience.

Lots of goons been playing a long time can give you advice if you're brand spankin' new. The OP has good mechs/builds that work in the current meta.

Get your cadet bonus missions out of the way (or don't) and play with us goons who can help you through the confusing fuckin UI and give you solid advice. Also play the training missions for some easy money as well.

Some things that really help right off the bat:
Fix your binds, I move all my weapon group binds to my mouse and use the 1,2,3,4 keys for consumables. I set right control to armlock TOGGLE, as most good builds have torso-centric weapons. Make sure the regular zoom toggle is easy to get to (not the extended zoom BS). Also a fullstop throttle key is useful if you don't use throttle decay like me. MASC, ECM mode toggle are useful to have close. As are the different vision modes.

The game also defaults to allchat being off for some dumb reason. Turn it on so you can heckle the other team.

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 13, 2018

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

Are any heavy or assault clan or IS mechs especially suited to PPCs of any class? I had a really good round just now on a griffin "sparky" with two snub noses and 4 medium lasers, and i rather like the archetype.

Battlematers i believe get ppc quirks, and have ok high torso mounts. But the peek and poke style of ppc's really lends itself to faster mechs with jumpjets. I know the summoner is a frequent hoppin-hitler mech. The best warhawk build is probably 4xppc's

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Yooper posted:

I'm just getting back into this game after too many years.

Is there a goon group so I don't have to keep getting tossed in with randos?

I used to enjoy ECM Raven, still useful?

Raven sucks now. Too many better options

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

So is it all keyboard based?

My computer is some kind of Dell with an i5 core according to the sticker on it.

If it's all keyboard based then it's a non-starter for me anyway. Sounds really tedious.

Yeah actually hitting things and being good at the game sounds annoying

Don't listen to us we probably don't know what we're talking about

stay inside your comfort zone, don't use mouse and keyboard ever

trying new things evokes change, and change can be dangerous

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pretty much all the origional founders mechs are either garbage or outclassed by a different mech that does the job better

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

aniviron posted:

Private lobbies have the option to force everyone's mech back to stock loadouts for the duration of the match. There used to be a group on one of the house TS servers (Marik I think?) that did a stock mech event every week and it was really fun; we switched between 3025 and 3050 tech level matches, and from time to time did 12v8 IS v Clan invasion stuff. Not sure if it's still active or not, but they used to post about it on the brown sea and reddit I think, if you dare venture to either of those places to look.

Alternately, you could try to organize this yourself with goons. It's pretty loving fun actually. Really changes which mechs are good.

Id be down for a stock build night

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

Also I've determined what the best mechs in the game are. It's the Hellbringer, the Mad Cat Mk2, The Piranha and the Annihilator. These four stand above all others.

Buy these mechs.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

I think this is a real hard pill for new players to swallow, because there is such a heavy focus on mech customization it can be a bit disheartening to learn 75% of the mechs suck along with a lot of the weapons, and the good mechs tend to have one good fit

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I sell mechs all the time no regerts. That said it is only because I am maxxed out on mechbays and not for need of cash, i sell lighter cheap mechs pretty frequently for this reason, i can earn enough in a day of playing to replace any light mech I have.

Though i almost never sell heavy/assault (especially clan)

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Polka_Rapper posted:

I never even bothered trying the new mode.

:same:

I'd be more interested in bringing back 8v8 and the old maps.

Or a continous drop ship mode that doesnt have some lovely game mode attached.

Or 4v4 not restricted to just lights.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

ninjaiguana posted:

Any IS mechs at the heavier end want to run standard engines these days, or are light engines always the way to go?

Light engines, there are a couple exceptions for critlocked mechs or dual heavy gauss, but lfe's are it.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

Instead of buying an HBR I'm thinking about getting a Mad Dog and swappin pods so I can have 3 energy hardpoints on each arm. Is that bad?

Could this be a hidden meta build?

What advantage over the hbr are you hoping to achieve

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Typical Pubbie posted:

Dying and looking cool doing it.

i.... can't argue.

Artificer posted:

Whats the laser drilldo?

Stalker 5N with 6 large lasers

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

OptimusWang posted:

Played a bunch of games with the Raven 3L last night, and somehow I’m decent with lights now. I feel waaaay outgunned fighting other lights though - I’m using 2x medium lasers and a large pulse laser + ECM.

Is there a better build or different light I should switch to? I have the teddy-bear Jenner and one of the early clan scouts (Mist Lynx maybe? I just remember it sucked).

Raven and jenner arent that great.

Mist lynx can be servicable if you make a machinegun build with it.

Wolfhounds are good, also consider fast mediums like the assassin.

For mc the piranah is decent too

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Shrink thr griffin 2n again :cry:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
:siren: HUNCHBUNCH :siren:

:siren: Hunchbunch night :siren:

Wednesday, August 1st
2pm US Pacific
5pm US Eastern
10pm for Brits

I'll try to get on earlier for the European crowd if I can

Everybody grab your Hunchbacks, you know the drill. I'll get my vidcap going again

Lets try to fill out the extra tonnage with vintage IS, Stalkers, Atlas, Awesome, Cataphract, Catapult, Jaeger, Dragon etc etc (poo poo it up with some LRM's if you are slow and get left behind)
if it gets too awful we can grab meta filler

Remember SQUAWK and show off your brightest plumage

See ya there!

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 28, 2018

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anita Dickinme posted:

Someone post Hunchback builds with skill trees for players that don't know anything anymore... asking for a friend.

4G I run as AC20 (3 tons ammo) & 3 MPL.
I went for all heat (operations and weapon tree) related skills, and threw in half the armor quirks.

4P I run as 6xMPL, 2 flamer. All heat skills plus did the 2x cool shot skills.

The other ones seemed lacking in one way or another. Though I would love to try a heavy gauss gridiron.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

A bit too late for me so I'll show up a bit early if anyone wants to do some pre-hunchbunch hunch-drops.

Naturally i was trying to get out by 2 pm and now I have a work meeting from 2:30 to 3 so I will be late

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Waffles was for a lil bit but whatev, get on and :getin:

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TjyvTompa posted:

Yeah, remember when you out-brawled a team with your hunchbacks in the basement? Me neither.

That's the second video I'm going to upload, if alone for the raven-bukkake

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Uploadin' videos bit by bit. Struggling against centurylinks spotty coverage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooMJ6refEN0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Sx2-uOmBg&t=182s

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
4mpl and a mrm40

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I see PGI, ever vigilant, would not pass up an opportunity run their ship aground if there was a dollar on the beach

Cancel your preorders. Remember founders mechs? What a prize

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

peer posted:

I mean it still looks like singleplayer mwo

Pretty much. Bet it gets released as a bunch of mediocre mechs with frequent scheduled DLC that introduces all the mechs released in mwo

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have been playin a little robits again. I'll try to be on tonight and maybe Saturday night

No idea what is meta but my DHG faff and srm-sin still seem viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have no interest in getting mw5, but if I did the first thing I would try is getting a hoppin' hitler cataphract 3-d 2ppc 1gauss working in multiplayer