Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
How are things with MWO now? For context I stopped playing sometime before the Roughneck/IS omnis were coming out. Playing HBS Btech has flared up an itch that must be scratched...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Logged back in after a loooong time. It looks like I lost some mechs and I'm trying to make sense of the new skill trees. It looks like it's per mech but how does that work with omni pods? The skill tree applies to the mech omni pod version or?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Thanks, clear on the omni pods and skills now.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

So after coming back after a looong hiatus I outfitted my HBR like the OP and jumped in. The new skill tree is a bit bewildering but I can see the merits over the old system. I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the skill points etc since it looks like I earn them on a mech but still have to convert them to use them or something...

Also I need to read up more on the current weapons and the timeline, I stopped grog'ing out on Btech sometime after the clan invasion so things like heavy lasers and the like are new.

Gameplay wise it still the same, a bit disappointed the maps still look like I remembered without a lot of variability. Also pubbies are certainly still the same, clogging firing lanes, exposing butts, trying to run off and either lurm or play honorable space warrior.

In between matches with the HBR I tried out some of the old fits I still had in the garage, and I'm pleased to see that the SRM Cent still does work. Lasting till the end of the match as a popsicle but still vomiting SRMs never gets old.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

How is the Ilya for a ballistic platform the quirks if this list is accurate still look ok.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Dravs posted:

3 UAC5 and an XL engine never forget

So the same as it always was

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

How should I be thinking about the 'Heavy' version of lasers for vomit builds?

In the case of my S Crow I like the high mount points for the ER-Larges to poke people out. Running the Heavy L's on the HBR the dmg is nice but I sometimes find myself sucked into the early game of trying to tickle enemy mechs across the map. Generally should I just replace Larges with the Heavy version or salt to taste on more range vs more damage?

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Went back to HBS Battletech and playing that a bunch. MW5 Mercs calls softly to me from the ether but I've been trying hard to resist. Willpower eroding, love of battletech is lowering my expectations and bar for what good is.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Took the plunge and got MW5 with all the sales stuff going on from the Epic store.

I want to like it but I'm having a hard time and I keep cutting myself on all the sharp edges. TLDR it's ok but it's not worth full price. MW5 feels like getting your favorite cookie only to find it's stale and someone added nuts to the recipe when it didn't need them.

Walking around your leopard and interacting with lovely 3D modeled people is meh. Especially having to run from the hangar up to the cnc room for missions or communicating.

The missions so far are all super cookie cutter and lack any substance. Despite having different objective/mission types they all feel the same. The missions feel pretty linear, as of yet I haven't seen any options for in mission choices or decision trees. Like you can't skirt around and blow up a turret generator to disable defenses, although in one of the first missions they had a few elements of go here and do this different thing.

Apparently they improved the spawns but it's still bad, stuff just appears around you.

The way they locked in the loadouts isn't great.

The UI and navigating around is kinda clunky. For example if you get weapons blown off your mech and just hit the repair button it only repairs damage, it doesn't replace the destroyed weapon or component, even if you have them in inventory to pull from. You have to click a level down in the menu to see what weapon or component is destroyed.

By comparison HBS Battletech did so many things way better with the characters, the UI, menus, the flavoring on the missions etc...

I'm reputation 5 and I've been playing for a few hours so maybe the story and missions pick up at some point.

Super 3 fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 18, 2020

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I should've mentioned I am running mods - it looks like the one that fixes spawns hasn't been updated since like JAN so I'll wait a bit. I need to grab the two AI mods for enemies and lance mates though.

Running the bitching betty mod, a classic ui, better advanced zoom, and then a loadout one along with the volumetric rescale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

I have high hopes that the modding community will add content to this and make it good. I'm glad I jumped on it as is with the sale bc I'm ok with it at the current price point.