Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I see this game is still bad but still sustains a rapidly moving thread. People still playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Here's a game to keep tabs on.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/984610/Mech_Merc_Company/

At the moment I would say the combat and graphics are comparable to MW4. There are some neat additions though, for example, the game has a Panther analog, and when you fire the PPC you get a significant amount of recoil that makes it difficult to snipe with. I like a lot of the design decisions so far.

The campaign is really barebones at the moment, and the Mechs mostly look very similar, but it's a promising start.

That's because they're ripping off MW4.

I'm all for more games in this space and but this is so close I wouldn't be too surprised to see a c&d letter in the future.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The HUD is also a straight rip from MW4 in terms of all design elements.

I don't think Mechwarrior has a lock on all depictions of piloted bipedal armoured vehicles shooting each other, but this is straight rip off with the laziest possible veil.

e: it is interesting to consider what the line actually is though. The mechs all look unique, it depends on whether or not the underlying loadouts of them are ripped from Battletech mechs. Can Battletech claim to have exclusive use of the term 'medium laser' in this context? IP law is difficult.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 4, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

You can get away under the radar being a project by a single guy. When you put yourself on steam that's when you run the risk of someone noticing you've copied and pasted their game.

e: like I'm watching the video. There is nothing about the battle gameplay that isn't lifted straight from MW4. It's not a case of designs converging, it's a case of a 1:1 copy of mechanics and layout and calling it a day.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 4, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

game mechanics aren't copyrightable.

It depends, and what it depends on is if this one guy operation has enough money to fight Microsoft's in-house team if they notice this and happen to be bored.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I know it's PGI but still how do you gently caress up so badly that you have multiple incompatible versions of your game depending on what distribution channel it's on.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Battletech has an interesting if easily masterable combat system though, whereas MW5 is just point and click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SEGA rear end Fisting posted:

There's a banner ad for this dead bad game now? :pgi:

Welp. See ya on the dropship losers

SQUAWWWWWWWWK

The venn diagram of people who play this game and people who play this game and make poor decisions with their money is just a circle