Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Caros posted:

Ostensibly it is to give mechs a slight feeling of individuality. Without hardpoints or some high cost for part swapping, there is essentially no difference between mechs other than the in game model and tonnage.

HBS's Battletech is good about letting you do whatever but I feel like 4 had the best balance between messing around and maintaining the flavor of what the original mech was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You know what they need to add to 5? Melee attacks and DFAs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sky Shadowing posted:

Yeah a big thing that would make MW5 feel better to me is if they had something like MW2:Merc's ComStar News Net system where you could read the recent happenings in the Inner Sphere, stuff like "Holy poo poo Hanse Davion just declared war on the DC, CC, and FWL, AT HIS OWN WEDDING!" or "Ferro-Fibrous Armor Rediscovered!"

Mount and Mech, where companies of mechs go at each other and the only loser is the framerate

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I guess you found all the heated gamers who didn't like the pronouns in Battletech

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Third World Reagan posted:

Playing a streamers hero raven, amazing.

Trip report, blew up a spider.

Dekker noooo

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

afflictionwisp posted:

Got lucky and salvaged the Annihilator from the mission where you get the spoilermech, decided to drive it on the last mission. Fitted with two AC/5 Bursts and two LB-10Xs, 4 ML's, maxed armor, lancemates in PPC equiped Atlas RSes. The Anni is a barely mobile turret but holy christ can it rain down hell. Shredded just about everything. One Atlas CT was open by the last wave and he went down, but the other two were still green by the end. I need to keep playing post-campaign just to take this beast on some 90+ assassination missions.

Post mortem, I think there's an outline of an interesting story here, but it could have used better writing.

But I just don't care, because I love this big, dumb, flawed game just like the big, dumb, flawed mechs it's based on.

e: This isn't the other Battletech thread lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MW5 won't be epic exclusive in a year's time right?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That salvage share mechanic seems extremely unfun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Are there plans to put MW5 on steam once the Epic Year is up?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is banned in Capella

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aniviron posted:

Because winamp/youtube exist.

Can confirm that doing this makes the game better though.

It really whips the llama's rear end

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mechwarrior 5 is on game pass it looks like. How hard is it to mod game pass games?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The description on the Microsoft Store says it explicitly does not support mods right now, but they're aiming to add mod support at some point this year.

Yeah just noticed that. That's a bit of a bummer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow, MW5's load times are godawful

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MW5 unlocks new stuff based on the ingame calendar date right? What's the last stuff that unlocks? Not that I plan on actually waiting that long but I'm curious. So far I like a lot of what it's doing but the actual missions and combat are just not as fun as MW4's were (and I just replayed it so it's not nostalgia lol). I know a career mode dlc is planned but it's weird because the campaign itself feels like an afterthought.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh cool, that goes for a while.

Not cool is not getting to loot this griffin or assassin because I only have six salvage shares and it's impossible to get more yet. This system sucks a lot.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just killed my Jenner because it ran in front of my Centurion, I bumped it, and it instantly died.

That's going to happen a lot isn't it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A 2 mission multi-mission op appears to have bugged out and instead of giving me my payout of 1 million c-bills, gave me 680 million instead.

Guess I'm buying everything in the galaxy :v:

Bugs aside, I really like how MW5 handles multiple missions ala Battletech's flashpoints. Going with your badly damaged, under-armored mechs is great.

e: Lol the game has a huge memory leak so it just crashed, rip

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 10, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I bought an SLDF Trebuchet with my infinite money and it's weird how it doesn't tell you anything about how it's that or unique at all outside of coming with Artemis.

Other than that I feel like I've played enough? It's really underwhelming compared to MW4: Mercs and it's somehow about as stable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ZombyDog posted:

I think there's a mod for that.

The feeling of being underwhelmed doesn't go away, and I hit a brick wall with the Cole Harbour mission and so took a break. I only jumped back in tonight to try the latest iteration of the AI mod, new Lancemate AI mod and a weather enhancement mod. I've also gone back to driving Firestarters, mainly because they feel so OP in low drop weight missions - reasonable speed, fairly robust and heat is no issue while running 2xML, 4xSL & 2xMG.

Yeah I'll probably put the game down until the game pass version gets mods. The bug that gave me infinite dollars did a lot to power through the tedium but also exposed how little is actually there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BrotherJayne posted:

No issues here.

Buncha mods, etc, using an SSD though. About 15 seconds from clicking the icon I've got my campaign loaded

Oh I threw it on my other drive, probably just that. I really need a bigger ssd.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The thing that's annoying me the most is that not only is there no company-wide paint scheme you can set, you can highlight and copy the paint's hexadecimal values but not paste it to another mech.

Why?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I went to Terra in MW5 and the only thing there to do was buy a locust.

I will say this for MW5's intro and aesthetic, it seems like it's trying hard to recapture that 2000s butt-rock grimy unpolished feel games and cutscenes had and I think it actually succeeds on that front, for better or worse. Too bad they succeeded on the gameplay front too :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's a mod that turns MW5 into Mechcommander 3

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/210?tab=description

Thought everyone would be interested :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

No joke this rts mod, combined with one for more mech customization and a better AI, has made MW5 awesome. It's still buggy and in beta but it's really fun to sit back and watch your guys go to town. You can even call in reinforcement lances and switch back to FPS to lead everyone by hitting a keybinding (and should, the AI stunt double doesn't level up apparently)!

Too bad re-installing deleted my save with a billion bucks from a bugged mission though lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mw5: Mechcommander 3 is buggy but a lot of fun with the reloaded mod to have a proper mechlab. I've got hunchies full of lostech, an Archer, and a swarm of light mechs that are getting oddly good at headshots. The only downside is reinforcements seem to bug out and double up if you have two of a mech chassis, and sometimes the leopard just flies away with a mech lol

Game should've been this from the start honestly