Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Atlases or Atlantes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm bummed that Fire Moth isn't in this game.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Luigi Thirty posted:

Are clan people idiot roleplaying tryhards like we expected?

Some of us just really liked MechWarrior 2 okay

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Luigi Thirty posted:

I roll with an STK-3F because it was my favorite mech in Mercs :saddowns:

I never had the expansions because they weren't released for PlayStation.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The pulse laser sound effect is the greatest thing I've ever heard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
10 September is the release date, according to the big letters on the front page of the Mechwarrior 5 website.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No one's heard of BattleTech or MechWarrior. People in nerd culture have at least heard of Warhammer 40K and space marines through osmosis, but BattleTech has never been able to have that same kind of presence.

Try to think of how many people under the age of thirty know what any BattleTech property is that aren't kids of a parent that plays the tabletop game or any of the tie-in video games.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 29, 2019

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
BattleTech is a game your dad plays.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I seem to recall reading that a robotic arm comes out of the mech's back, pulls it out of whatever body part it's stored in, and then loads it into the weapon.

Because that same question about how ammo in the legs works also applies to how it works in the arms if the weapon is in a different location. You can store weapons in the right arm of a Timber Wolf where a bigass laser cannon is and it somehow gets to the center torso.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's the kind of joke I fell for a few times in StarCraft in 1998 and 1999 when I was in sixth grade and learned. Any grown-rear end adult playing multiplayer games should know that trick by now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Frocious posted:

Trying to join the discord, but getting an invite invalid error?

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/1203402488000348160?s=19

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did I not just post that Discord is broken right now because of Google GCP?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Frocious posted:

You did, and he tried something else. No need to get all pissy big fella

Well, Discord is back up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The queue times for group drops seem to be taking forever, but solo play and faction play are still firing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
In this game with faster-than-light travel and everyone is ultimately fighting for a telcom.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All right, which one of you was this?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If your game needs mods in order to be playable, it wasn't worth buying.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I spent $6.95 just to have this camo pattern.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The mechlab is actually a meth lab

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TulliusCicero posted:

So this may be a silly question but how do I use my warhorn?

Also went with the thread's advice about a Thanatos and kicking rear end

You kill people and it plays its sound. That's it. It's just an audio taunt.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I just want to say that I have fun my eith Timber Wolf Prime that runs medium pulse lasers and ATMs.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I think that even if PGI hadn't done the things they did to frustrate their audience, MechWarrior and Battletech are always on thin ice. The youngest of its fans are in their mid-thirties. No one's heard of this property and its audience is aging. There's only so much money in appealing to an old audience for an IP that's already obscure among Gen X-ers and millennials.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
People like giant robots that shoot lasers and missiles and beat the poo poo out if each other.

It's just easier to sell IPs people know about and Battletech/MechWarrior ain't one of them. Hell, I don't even know if zoomers know what Gundam is.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Marx Headroom posted:

Just had a Skirmish where the only surviving mechs (me and 3 enemies) all managed to destroy each other's weapons with 5 mins remaining so we circled around each other for a bit, stared at each other, and headed for the nearest bridge where we tried to joust each other off at top speed. Starting to wonder if we could've killed each other from collision damage within the time limit.

I won a domination game where it was my Quickdraw IV4, a friendly Vapor Eagle, and two enemies were left and all of us were out of ammunition or had all of our weapons destroyed. The Vapor Eagle killed themselves by not getting out of the way of their own tactical strike and the two enemy mechs were trying to tap me to death. I jumped up onto a building in the zone where they couldn't reach me. My team had a little bit more time in the zone taken, so I won the match by just standing there looking at my enemies going, "Na na na na na!"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I did one game with my AMS Nova S and depleted my entire stock of AMS ammunition. It was insane.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheParadigm posted:

People -really- like going for that left arm with all your goodies in the kitfox tho.
If the loyalty kitfox pods are in the common pool now, it gives you the option to put ECM in the -right- arm. i'm not sure its the best option, but it is an option.

It must be, because I have my Purifier's ECM on a different side from my AMS.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Thanks for the assault advice a page or so back, made the event less painful.

https://i.imgur.com/GIMmE3h.mp4

What the gently caress is that field of view?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've watched Father Bill stream several times and he seems like a perfectly normal person.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The links to the skill sets for the different combat roles in the OP are all busted.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I handled a Huntsman keyboard this morning at work. COINCIDENCE??????

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Just keep shooting.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want a game mode where only stock mechs are allowed.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
God I wish loadouts I find on places like Grim Mechs came with skill tree builds. I have no idea what I'm doing.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Converting enough mech experience to fully skill out another mech will run you 2,912 MC, and you'll still have to pay the C-bill fee to buy skill points. The 3,000 MC pack on the store is $14.95.

You can buy 100 GSP on the in-game store for 1,250 MC. The store on the MWO website has a pack of 200 GSP for $10. There are bundles on sale right now that include GSP, MC, and premium time for $11 and $22. Burning GSP to skill out a mech doesn't incur the C-bill fee.

So if you want to drop any cash to speed up the process, I'd look into the bundles first.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Maybe it's because I'm tier-three trash and just getting lucky, but I've found success getting into brawls with my Nova-S. I just play it like my Piranha and be a kill stealing opportunist. I had one match where I managed to go one-on-one to the face with a Marauder II and came out on top. That was a fuckin thrill.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Wait, what's wrong with the Piranha? :ohdear:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Meat_Grinder posted:

Don't use one unless you can immediately put points into mobility. It's a paper cannon and breathing heavily near it takes it into structure.

I've been playing with mine for over a year to pretty good success. It's just about being an opportunist and going after an enemy that's been softened up and biting ankles. If I can get two kills in one game with it before going down, I've done my job. If I play long enough to shoot out all of my machine gun ammo, I've done real well.

But I'm also tier three trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I need to roll with the PIR-3 again because it does seem like it's better. I have one skilled out already. I think I'm just too married to the idea of not having to manage heat at all.