Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Hello new thread. Mechs are pretty cool and good except the ones that are not.

Seconding getting on the Discord, it's a cool and chill place to hang out and shoot the poo poo about mechwarrior as well as shooting the poo poo out of mechs.

Skippy McPants posted:

I don't think the sensor tree is worth the opportunity cost in most situations. Much of Radar Dep's functionality is replicable with good positioning, and I can count on one hand the number of times Seismic made the difference in a game. I do think I know the comics you're talking about; I'll see if I can dig them up and then maybe put them into a sperate tutorial section along with Kanajashi's videos.

I strongly disagree about the sensors tree, but what works for me may be different for others. I run full Radar Deprivation and Seismic on every mech(and they are the first skill points I spend on almost every mech) because I hate giving missile-throwers the satisfaction of a hit marker and I use seismic constantly, either to work out where enemies are for example on Crimson Strait when I'm below the platform or where they are going in some of those tense 1v1s around a building it really makes a difference between rounding the corner to their face or their back. Even if it hasn't made a critical difference in most games it can at least inform me about my positioning relative to the enemy round the corner or provide a little warning of the incoming ambush behind me. If I don't yet have seismic on a mech I feel a little blind without it as I'll get that sixth sense feeling someone might be nearby, stop to see if anything comes up on seismic and then rememeber I don't have it and am forced to live in a world of paranoid twisting rather than focused on what's in front of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Weissritter posted:

What are other good mechs to mount PPCs? Does the PPC velocity quirk need to be present?

Absolutely not! Here's the dirty secret: quirks can be great, and if you can get quirks that boost your weapon choice significantly then that's double great, but you shouldn't let quirks get in the way of building what you want to build. Really, the quirks you want to look out for are ones that reduce heat generation and ones that reduce cooldown of your weapons choice as these directly relate to either more sustained damage or just higher DPS. Other quirks such as range and velocity are nice, but far less important when considering a build.