Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
We’ve had a ton of new guys on Living Legends lately, if any of you want to come play some ‘Mech Battlefield 3082 and complain about bullshit Word of Blake omnifighters while crashing once an hour please join in! It’s a very different game, where you rank up and use currency to buy new assets within the match, and there’s no persistent leveling or mechlab. The classic Timber Wolf Prime is even good! Come give it a spin!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I assume this game has a peak daily player population some orders of magnitude higher than 40 :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

Yes, PGI forced people to stop playing so that their matchmaker no longer works, makes total sense.
Can the perma-salty people who no longer play this game just loving leave, please. It makes no sense to post your brain damaged retarded opinions regarding a producer of a game that you no longer play. We get it, PGI sucks and they ruined your game. We that still play do so because we enjoy playing it with our friends, you know, like normal people.

Come play MWLL, where a good weeknight is 25 players and our 'matchmaking' system is arguing over which veterans should swap teams mid-game to keep it even! or crashing your aerospace fighters into lamp posts until you've squandered your team's entire ticket lead

I am sad to hear MWO is bleeding players, though. Whatever your feelings on the game it's been cool to see so many mechs modeled and working, and the game just started hitting the really good parts of the fiction. Dark Age and the Jihad were originally pretty lovely, but after Catalyst did a few years of work on them they turned into probably the best part of the setting, with no designed protagonist factions and a lot of actual status quo change. I was hoping we'd get to see poo poo like the Celestial omnis, plasma rifles, and variable-speed pulse lasers in game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I only played this game once, is the percentile ranking active players or does it include people like me bloating up the bottom of the board?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It kills me that the all the games keep going back to 3025 when the Jihad and post-Jihad eras have both the best fiction and the best art.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

Having a blast with the hero Kit Fox, 4MPLAS + 2HMG.

That loving loadout was a scourge in Living Legends, seeing it in the context of another game is like some sort of Freddy vs. Jason crossover event.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

The Fafnir was an original MW4 design that they made canon, so it's full circle.

Was it? It shows up in the novel 'Endgame', which came out several months before MW4 Mercenaries.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I wish the game had lasted long enough to do the Jihad, I really wanted to see the Celestial omnis in-game. And maybe they could've made a total loving mess of cyborg implants.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

CryEngine is a really bad fit for mech melee, and for mechs in general. People were talking about the ammo explosion effects being removed earlier. Living Legends had (still has, in part) an awesome ammo explosion effect where you can see rogue missiles shooting out of the mech and spiraling all over. Unfortunately it was SO awesome that it would randomly crash clients and maybe the entire server, I forget. So it had to be seriously toned down.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Maybe it's time for Word of Lowtax to nuke the Master guys

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Maybe it's time for Word of Lowtax to nuke the Master guys

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Word of Blake had a subfaction called Sixth of June so if you wanna go for the lore deep cut I suggest Sixth of Goon

However I don’t even play this game :goonsay:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's interesting how none of the games have captured one of the big advantages of ER lasers/ppcs in the tabletop — they're not just longer ranged, they're more accurate in the range they share with ordinary lasers. Unless ER lasers have shorter burn times in MWO?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's not exactly a special rule for ER lasers (the way pulse lasers get a -2 to hit bonus as an intrinsic trait of the weapon type), but since Battletech weapons suffer a +2 penalty at medium range and a +4 penalty at long range, the fact that ER lasers have wider range brackets means they're effectively more accurate.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Vaper Eagle

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Time skip forward, all your old mechs have been removed by the post-Jihad demilitarization, you have to start all over again with awful looking internal combustion powered AgriMechs using chainsaw arms. The big new feature is melee combat :unsmigghh:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Actually I would get into a notional MWO2 if it had AI creeps, tanks and infantry and stuff to shoot, like in a Titanfall match. and a different developer

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Give us jihad and Celestials :pray:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm back on my MWLL bullshit after some changes on the dev team. We had a pretty good incident last night with a guy who insisted that other players were hacking to create energy shields. (The idea of a hack so comprehensive that it adds its own immersive visual assets is pretty cool.)

It turned out that he thought the white highlight around a target you have missile locked was an energy shield, and since his LRMs weren't instantly destroying his foe they were being absorbed by hacker powers. :allears:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

In tabletop HAGs are functionally just LRMs with weird range modifiers (despite the fiction being more like a gauss Metal Storm).

MWLL implemented them really well, I thought. Full auto weapons with excellent range and slight spread, so that at long range you sandblast the target and at close range it's pinpoint damage. A HAG20 gets 20 rounds without jamming, a HAG40 gets 40. You get best DPS if you magdump, rather than burst firing. This is very important because it distinguishes the weapon from ultra autocannons, and it's a lot more fun to use.

e: of course MWLL doesn't have a mechlab so the devs can prevent anything too monstrous from happening. There was a double HAG20 Blood Asp that got cut pretty quick because it was so degenerate.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Washout posted:

Eve online style spaceship and planetary battle game where you can play everything from infantry to power armor to tanks to aerospace and drop ships and jumpships.

There's a game for people who want this, I hear it has a very active Something Awful thread.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It was originally just a Dragon with a PPC instead of an AC/5, because 3025 is balanced (the PPC is lighter, just as accurate, and does twice the damage without needing ammo; granted it's 10x as hot but it's not like the Dragon is running hot, and ammo is a far larger liability than heat in an environment without CASE where a single ammo hit will take out your whole mech).

This is cool because the PPC is much more of a signature Draconis Combine weapon and you'd think the mech named "Dragon" would be a) good and b) in tune with the Dragon faction's armament preferences.

Eventually that variant became its own distinct chassis. Some famous characters drove this mech. Beyond that I have no idea why it's so popular.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Alternately it's because of the KKK

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

(IS XLs aren't suicide cubes in tabletop.)

Aren't they though? You lose a side torso, you die.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Lorem ipsum posted:

Some amount of air control would be really nice

In MWLL improved jump jets give you full air control while you're thrusting so you can do kickin rad Summoner sidestrafes before clipping through a prefab building and getting stuck inside it while an Elemental stands on your cockpit and slowly drills you to death before getting teamkilled by its own side's Arrow IVs or ASF bombs and then you crash to desktop.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There are too many panel lines on these mechs :greencube:

e: It makes them all look the same in a very discomfiting way

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Artificer posted:

Why was this thread called something like "steampunk robots" anyways? There were never enough gears for it to be steampunk.

Because it was wrong on purpose

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

idk what people want from a mechwarrior game though

MechWarrior 3

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Vorenus posted:

Trip report from checking out MWLL again:

Still a cool game with fun mech loadouts and solid maps. Also still utterly ruined by the same nolifers stacking teams and abusing aerospace on maps where you literally can't see it until it's shooting you.

Next patch is nerfing some bombs and raising ASF spawn time to 45 seconds to hopefully stop certain players from just endlessly suiciding planes into you. Not an ideal solution but it's something.

There's a community anti-stack squad that batsignals on discord when matches get one-sided, but unfortunately that's subject to people being available and at their PCs.

My morale with MWLL has unfortunately tapped out, I love the game but I'm just exhausted by certain toxic players and the endless treadmill of trying to keep teams balanced. :(

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

clearly I hosed up by not naming myself "Kai Allard Lmao"

:lmao:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

sebmojo posted:

It still makes me chuckle when I see it

It’s a great name, I’m just sad to miss the perfect metafictional reason to use Sixth of Goon

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's interesting that Mechwarrior games have always captured the 'longer range' benefit of ER lasers, but not the 'more accurate as a result' benefit they have in tabletop. They're not just supposed to reach out further, they're supposed to be more accurate than their standard counterparts at short and medium range too.

I guess you'd have to do some burn time shenanigans to capture that. (Unless MWO already does!)

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Q_res posted:

The MW3 version of Pulse Lasers always struck me as "right" and I get unreasonably annoyed every time it's ignored in newer games.

Noooooooo it's backwards! :goonsay: The long burn time in MW3 means the damage gets spread all over and the weapon's less accurate.

MWLL (and I assume MWO) get it exactly right. The damage is loaded into just a few very rapid pulses so it all hits one spot and you don't need to spend time staring at the target and tracking a specific component.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

If a weapon hits in tabletop it always* does its full damage, there's not really a concept of a "grazing hit" or "landed some of the beam but not all." Pulse lasers are supposed to be more accurate and deliver more damage to the target. A long burn time is harder to fix on one spot and more likely to lose some of its damage - which is the opposite of what a pulse laser's supposed to be. That's why, in MWO, reducing a weapon's burn time is a buff, not a nerf.

TT pulse lasers would've been a lot better balanced if hits they scored purely due to their accuracy bonus only did partial damage. Well, Clan pulse lasers would, IS pulses don't need the nerf.

*there are a couple exceptions

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Interestingly (and very counterintuitively) MW2 pulse lasers tried to emulate tabletop by firing a series of pulses, at most one of which could do damage. So if you landed three pulses, one pulse would do damage and the other two would be ignored; if you landed one pulse it'd still do full damage.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

People tend to hate that kind of weapon behavior in first-person games, so no MW has ever tried to implement something like it.

Sure they have! The difference between regular lasers and Clan heavy lasers is a really good implementation of accuracy differences.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Star Man posted:

I think you would have to make laser weapons a projectile like ballistics are in order for the hit to be all or nothing. A pulse laser would just end up being an energy ultra autocannon.

No, you just make the burn time shorter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Freakazoid_ posted:

MWLL had locked down builds and nobody exploded, even in those handful of years they were the only fps mechwarrior game in town.

People still semi regularly huffy get about it. When MWLL2 was announced there was almost instantly a 'no mechlab????? dead game' post on the OutreachHPG reddit.

Fortunately 1. the locked builds are really really good for a competitive multiplayer shooter because you get far more asset diversity than you would if everybody could minmax to their hearts' content* and 2. MWLL has much larger problems for everyone to complain about.

*we've still had some horrifically poisonous builds, the Shiva with 80 eLRMs and an iNARC launcher could rain down noninteractive exterminatus for an entire match unless somebody went up in a Sparrowhawk and rammed it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The big difference between MWO and MWLL is that in MWO you pick one mech and drop in it and fight until you die and earn points to unlock better mechs for future matches. In MWLL you start a drop as a manlet battle armor and earn money within the match to buy better mechs/tanks/planes. There's no progression between matches, everyone starts each round on an even playing field. Like Counter-Strike but you buy mechs instead of guns. Matches are 50-70 minutes long and play roughly like Battlefield, you take and hold caps to drain the enemy's respawn tickets. Losing assets costs your team tickets, with a Daishi costing 17 tickets to a Commando's 2.

The other big difference is that unlike pre-cauldron MWO MWLL is actually well balanced and developed by people who understand it but it also crashes about once every other hour and has a learning curve very similar to the Somme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

One might think a better approach than RNG jams would just be an overheat/jam bar if it’s fired too rapidly. Perks could give you more bar to play with. It seems like it’s easier to make decisions based on deterministic stuff than RNG.