Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, is there another good starter mech other than the Hellbringer in case of nerfs? Preferably IS so I can do my canopian pretty periphery princess cosplay. I bought the solaris 7 pack and have enjoyed the rifleman if that helps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Killer, I'll check that out. What about mediums?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Herb Dington posted:

The other thing is quirks, if you are seeing a particular mech that usually has a certain build, it's often because it is quirked for it.

ie. Crabs!

http://snafets.de/mwo/quirks.htm

Can you match which crab to use for:

5x medium pulse

6x medium pulse gimmick or 3x large pulse gimmick

2x LL 4x ML

LPL and 4x (ER)ML

Is it just matching them in order? That's my guess. 27-SL is 5 mpl, 27B is gimmick, 27 is 2x LL 4x ML, and 20 is LPL and ERMLs.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I'm a little confused as to why they didn't use the MWO/HBS style hardpoints to begin with, the current implementation is so limiting. I get wanting the different chassis to feel unique, but it really hurts mechs like the Griffon with its piddly 2 hardpoints. You're pigeonholed into using the stock configuration which is not ideal.

I would assume it wouldn't be too difficult to port in the MWO models, but I'm not a developer. Does MW5 have any mechs that MWO lacks?

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I've been having great fun with the ER PPC Adder from Grimmechs. You scamper around your big guys poking at the enemy, with a little bit of get-up-and-go to flank or duck into cover. Runs pretty cool and the build is almost stock so you don't have to invest any more than the cost of the mech itself. Had a fun game with 4 kills this morning in the cute lil guy.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
It's the lurm map so lurmboat players save up and vote for it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Cease to Hope posted:

how come everyone who streams this game is either some sort of pastor or a 50 year old white supremacist

Is baradul a weirdo? I found his videos pretty relaxing and fun.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I don't think that's necessarily the case, particularly because YAML uses the same hardpoints of MWO. The bigger thing is that a much larger number of chassis become useful with the ability to change engine rating and add or remove things like XL engines and ferro. I highly recommend YAML.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
You can usually do more like 5 to 1 front/rear. If things are hitting you in the back, you have bigger problems. I really dislike not using every ton available and having weird fractions so in order to not waste tonnage, i'll cut a little from the legs, maybe 2 points or so from the head. The AI doesn't like to aim at legs so they're usually pretty safe. The head really depends on the mech: some like the King Crab have a huge hitbox so you need every point you can take but others are nearly impossible to hit.

If you're getting frustrated with how few slots certain mechs have and/or the uselessness of some chassis, I recommend the Yet Another Mech Lab mod, but play around with the base game first. YAML unlocks the mech lab to be essentially identical to how it works in MWO but it can be a little daunting at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Oooh, I'm really excited. I like the updated UI, the real-time orders look really slick (assuming that they work), and the voice acting sounds cheesy as hell. All good things in my book. I also like that we'll be playing as Smoke Jaguar, the biggest pieces of poo poo in the setting. I hope they lean in to being the villain, at least at the start of the campaign, I like my Clanners with moustaches fully twirled.