Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Sterling_Archer posted:

Does anyone have a 'best' build for a nightstar? I've been wanting one.

I looked in smurfy a bit, and felt constrained by the hand actuators and low engine cap.

"NSR-9J Large Laser Hands"

You could do "NSR-10P Sneaky Cannonhands"

Maybe "NSR-9Policeman"

It can't be a good HG carrier, due to how slow it is, and even the hero mech gimmick is "meh", with 2 missile slots in each torso.

The 'best' one is probably "NSR-9FC Laservom in my mouth a little"

The last one can work with a standard engine also.

fake edit: one of those should fit a jump jet, I forget which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

aniviron posted:

If you want at least 100 of your mechs to be obnoxious for absolutely no effort just do 1000 damage in a kitfox and bam you're set for life.

Comfirm. Just equipped 16 wolfhorns. :getin:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Axetrain posted:

They took away most of my Warhorns :(. I should have loaded them on more of my mechs.

I'm thinking the script was basically:

if playerwolfhorncount= >90

then remove wolfhorn 90

I have 81 warhorns still available.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
To be fair, nobody 'paid' more than a few matches of their time for these warhorns. I won't be sad to see them go, I just think it's a missed opportunity for PGI to have done something fun and memorable.

Like that previously-mentioned skin that plasters your mech with 100 warhorns, or a special warhorn that is really just 100 tiny wolfhorns awoo-ing at once.

Then again, I'd imagine they don't want to draw attention to their mistake, and have zero sense of humour about it. $400 a person they missed out on!

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

I ride bikes all day posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3Y63ZC2L5E

How is this guy zooming in like that? The HUD goes away and it's like he's got a 2x scope all of a sudden.

That's the regular zoom function. He is using the keyboard shortcut for the highest zoom level, rather than the keyboard shortcut to increase zoom level.

fakeedit: He's NOT using 'Z'

doubledown: at least not as default binding.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

It's probably the second worst Clan heavy after the Linebacker. There's not a single thing it can do better than actual good mechs like the Onion IIC and HBR. At least fringe stuff like the Summoner and Mad Dog have their niches as a PPC sniper or Splat boat. The TBR doesn't even have that. It's an outdated mishmash of mediocre geometry and sub-par internals, and it still has negative quirks on its only good omnipod.

Every time the TBR goes on sale, I can't quite force myself to buy it. I fiddle in the mechbay, go 'meh', and buy a different mech.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Artificer posted:

I seem to have completely forgotten how to brawl in this game. Group queue has been handing me my rear end.

Quick Play is really (almost entirely) poke-oriented, so you really have to work extra hard as a brawler.

Pick brawl-oriented maps, try to yell-boss your team a little, stick to cover, and wait wait wait. Then once a bunch of armour has been shed in the poke phase, you can go in and clean up.

The Orion IIC is amazing at this.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

School Nickname posted:

I, too, have the robot itch after playing some Mechwarrior 3 and legging the poo poo out of everything in the campaign. Last I played this was over a year (or two?) ago and all I have are a CTF-IM, a AS7-S and a CN9-AH. How hosed am I vs the latest batch of mechs?

Those are all bad mechs now. Get your cadet bonus CBills from playing some matches, and pick up a hellbringer or something that is a very good cookie-cutter build to get you started having fun.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I dunno, I think there are objectively bad mechs.

Having fun with them is another matter, and not something I shy away from. That doesn't mean you're going to do well, or do well consistently.

That depends much more on you and your opponents' relative skill level.

So, starting out, returning to the game after a few years, I think the best bet is to ditch the 'bad' mechs for a bit, and get used to playing again on something that already performs very well.

edit: don't forget the added bonus of learning what a 'good' mech looks like, to avoid bad habits

gently caress this game is SERIOUS

SQUAWWWWK

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Feb 27, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Just a heads up to everyone, now is a GREAT time to get some extra mech bays:

Loot bags can reward MC, out of 52/100 loot bag redeems I'm up to 280 MC so far from this event, and they have mech bays on sale for a couple more days.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 19, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
stomp, stomp, stomp, stomp

WUBWUBWUBWUBWUBWUB

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

I don't have any mc so no k9 for me. Really I'm looking for a light dakka build and since my friend insists the urbie is trash I wanted to build a decent one.

The Urbie, though it can do dakka, doesn't do it well.

The thinking for building any urbanmech usually goes as follows:

STD180 > Lasers of choice > Machineguns

Unfortunately that's pretty much it, depending on the variant you can change your loadouts around a little, but the best always ends up being some combination of a large laser and mediums with some LMG, or pulse lasers and regular MG.

It can be tempting to put a heavier ballistic weapon on it, but it's just fun, and definitely not good.

For truly dicking around take the ac/20 out for a spin, and just hug the legs of a brawler assault on your team (you should do this no matter what loadout in the urbie)

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Parallelwoody posted:

Hmm ok what would be a good light machine gun mech then, a and what would a good build/skill tree look like? By the way I'm about half skilled in the hell bringer and it's a solid rear end mech.

Machine guns are kind of a brawling weapon, in that they have the greatest impact at the end of the game when torsos are stripped, and the short range.

So if you have a mech specialized in machine guns, like a piranha, or ACH-E arm omnipods, you are best off skirmishing and squirreling until your targets lose their armour.

LMG are good for doing this at range, but that runs a bit counter to the benefit of machineguns, so they have a very niche application.

The mechs I've found that use them best are the urbanmech, arctic cheetah, and the shadowcat. Urbie as supplementary damage, Arctic cheetah with medium lasers of choice for sneaky butt-sniping, and the shadowcat kind of best of all. Since the shadowcat is a skirmishing mech by design, you are usually going to last to end-game. It's pretty awesome to be roof-jumping and pumping out damage with your two LPL, and still be able to finish off weakened enemies.

Yes, this is a post advocating shadowcat use. It's a high skill-ceiling mech, that makes your team hate you for not sharing your armour. But when you run around at the end of a 700+ damage poking game sawing mechs side-torsos off you'll see what I mean.

Oh, AND I use most of the jumpjet skill tree on mine. Not sure that it does anything. Come at me thread.

For skill tree in relation to machineguns, just always take at least one ammo node. You don't need to pack much ammo, so the node seems worth less, but taking it will save you from running out, and spending tonnage.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 22, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Exmond posted:

Hey I have a Cicada X5, and I think it's the Medium mech that wants to be a light?

I have a build here

X-5

Wondering how I can improve it. Is going with no armor on the left arm (for "Shielding") still a thing?

I used to go x5 Speed all like :aaaaa: :stonklol:

then they nerfed SPL now I go X-Notnearlyfastenough and I basically just explode.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
All this PPC talk inspired me to finally learn how to make a .gif in gIMP:

stealthedit: oh yeah it comes with a soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOEjSgAiluk

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 24, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

TheParadigm posted:

Excuse me goonsir, have you heard of gifsound? Its basically amazing.

Side question. are there any hero's worth picking up for a few bucks on the webstore? most all the standalone hero's are on sale. 7$ for the cheetah hero seems probably worth it? any others?

You're MY Hero worth picking up for a few bucks...

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I don't know what the timers are like, but could we get a switch of faction again to one of the event clans?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

WoL is now clan Steel Viper for the event. There is some 32 hours left of the event if you want to grind. I'll switch it back to Liao once it's over.

Thanks for doing this. I'm not sure if it's me or just :pgi: but it's not possible to get into the faction play as normally.

I had to go in through the 'event details' button then 'go now' to bring up the scouting and invasion options.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Leif. posted:

what is the concern about why RACs don't play well with other weapons?

For one, they are a projectile weapon, so they take time to travel to their target, meaning unless you only shoot stationary targets, hitscan weapons (lasers, machineguns) will not share the same aiming profile.

So if you want other projectile weapons, you could pick PPCs, but they are too hot to pair with an already hot weapon, and PPCs shine in their peek-and-poke role, which is opposite to the RAC role of "stare them in the face".

So let's say you pick missile weapons. LRMs are just bad, same with streaks. MRM would maybe be the most effective, but they are better at closer ranges, so that minimizes the mid-range benefit of the RAC/5. SRMs are 'alpha' weapons, meaning you fire them all at once (usually) and twist away to spread damage before firing again - also completely contrary to the RAC/5.

You could pick other autocannons, but if you're doing that already, why not use the slots for more of the same, and save the jamming, winding up, and face-staring requirements.

All that means is that RACs are very niche weapons, that can be as effective as other weapons in a fire support role, in a mech that is designed or quirked to use them at mid-range, like a micro-direwolf, the 'mobile' turret gameplay style.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Come do scouting! Loot bag! flamer! SRM gogogo

EDIT: Good games, people!

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 30, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
:justpost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBU5M6HVNSg

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

My comfort zone for video games is an xbox 360 so please have some patience :corsair:

What does the risk profile look like for "losing" real money? I imagine I would spend some occasionally. If I buy a gauss rifle and my arm gets blown off in combat, do I have to buy another gauss rifle (or arm?) with real American dollars? Also same question, but for full 'mechs.

Controller unfortunately isn't an option in this game. Even if you could franken a setup with an input emulator, it probably wouldn't control great, and you'd be at a disadvantage anyway.

Mouse and keyboard is just how this game is played, but it's a lot less twitch-based than other PC shooters. You should be able to adjust fine!

You probably shouldn't spend money on the game. If you really must, make an informed decision by asking here first. There are countless newbie trap mechs that are only obviously bad to vets, and even more mediocre options, so you really only want to spend $$ on 'the good stuff'.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Fair on the $$$ topics. I played the older mechwarrior games extensively so I probably wouldn't enjoy grinding xp with the same starter mech as everyone else. I would maybe rather do the tutorials and if I like it, try to decide on a sweet spot that maximizes the stuff earned in the tutorials (as described in the OP) with some cash to augment and use that as a jump off point. Bad idea or terrible? This assumes I like it enough through the tutorials to throw $50 at having a neato robot.

You should make enough Cbills from your cadet bonus to get at least one of the solid mechs in the OP.

I would recommend Hellbringer!

Then you'll have a solid mech to practice your aim with, levelling it up as you go, and by the time that one is maxed out you should have enough Cbills and experience to figure out your next mech.

edit: Cadet bonus is added to the end of your first 25 matches for a total of 12.5m cbills

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 2, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Moleboy, join up on the discord in the evenings/weekends and you might find some goons on there. You don't need to be in the unit for most shenanigans, but someone with the power can invite you. WoL is where the limited activity is.

PPCs are great at long range because they do pinpoint damage, so you don't have to keep your lasers from waving around on the target, you just have to line up and predict the shot. Increased velocity quirks and skills can help with this, but are a pain for the feel of your mech. Once you're used to a certain velocity of PPC it is hard to adapt to a different one.

Mechs like the warhawk and summoner are good with c-ERPPC. The summoner is a lot of fun in city maps and on the edge of hills: it has a lot of JJs so is one of the ideal poptart mechs. You can do consistent damage without receiving much back by just shooting overtop of a building every 5-6 seconds.

I'm really not sure what's good with IS PPC at the moment. The AWS-8Q has quirks to make 4xppc viable but is still on the awesome chassis, so it's a gimmick. Maybe a warhammer variant?

edit: OR, on topic, some kind of AC/20 with snub-nose PPC "brawler" build on a cataphract?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
The quickest way ingame is to just check the loadout to see if any of the weapons start with c-

Clan omnimechs also follow naming conventions, like TBR-PRIME HBR-PRIME -A -B etc. etc.

For a complete list to play around with, use Smurfy's

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

General Battuta posted:

We’ve had a ton of new guys on Living Legends lately....

SO WHY ARE YOU HERE POACHING OUR NEW GUYS~!!!>?

:allbuttons:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Dramicus posted:

I had some fun with a fast Dragon. Most people were taking srms and ac20s or loads of mediums. So I did a 104 km/h dragon with gauss and er mediums and just stayed out of range of 70% of their weapons.

I had an unironically fun time doing this in div 7 with a panther. Didn't win though.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Is the performance (FPS) in Solaris better than in the regular game?

EDIT:
Just noticed that the game uses 50 GB of HDD space.

Anecdotally, yeah, it seems like there's less frame drops due to less stuff winging through the air.

Also anecdotally, ping has an disproportionate effect. Light pokey mech + 300-400 ping = seemingly untouchable.

edit: slightly ping-related, for those centurion duels, and the like: If you have a low ping you can really benefit from baiting shots at your shield arm. Vary your twisting so that every now and then you look like you are about to twist to fire, but actually stop short and raise your shield-arm. Most people seem to snap a shot once they see you start turning.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 18, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Does anybody know where the bolt-ons acquired from supply crates go, or how to equip them?

The two level 1 crates I got supposedly had horns in them, but they don't show up in the list for the only mech that shows bolt-ons (atlas)

:pgi:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
The mechs that have been the most fun for me so far are the founder's catapult (MRM80, 4x ERSL), and the 5 LPL banshee.

The banshee is surprisingly effective at murdering crabs. Just wiggle a little while you pour alpha after alpha into their CT. GG :pgi:

There are still outliers to be found, and plenty of paper to wrap around the rock meta. ie. the PHX

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Lately the user pool has really poo poo the bed. Or maybe I'm playing at the wrong times, when there's just enough people to cobble together a match or two.

Anyway, I've been noticing a lot of joystick users. The worst feeling in this game is when you soak incredible damage, kill at least 4 enemy robits, secure an advantage, and die. Now you get to watch that joystick-haver wave their poo poo all over the place while squandering your lead to a couple of LRM boats that are one-shot from dead. Second to that, is when the LRM users on your team have no notion of hard cover, and just walk back and forth shoving missiles into walls and mountains for half the match. I watched a guy who actually didn't know to press 'R', not uncommon, but with LRMs?

I just gotta assume the only people who play this game at 3 a.m. are fuckin' wasted.

stealthedit: I think I just realized why people take world of tanks so seriously, when noobs gently caress with my 2x xp bonuses, I get pissed! I don't have enough time to level all these mechs, and fuckyou :pgi: if you think I'm paying $7.50 apiece to do so.

Herb Dington fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 24, 2018

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I made a thing:

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
It's pretty scummy to flat-out remove a hardpoint, on a paid mech, within the first couple weeks.

This is from the "don't forget to pre-order! Here's the relevant stats for the items you are purchasing!" page

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

And Tyler Too! posted:

Use another mech in QP until you can afford a better engine, then just hang behind your friends. The Urbie is a medium mech disguised as a light and can withstand a tremendous amount of damage once you have skill points in the Survival Tree. You can flank nerds with the jumpjets (Mining Collective is your happy place) but otherwise let your friends get shot at while you peek & poke with medium lasers. Your job is to killsteal and intercept any light flankers. Those tiny dudes with machine guns? You can rip them apart because your durability and 360-degree torso twisting means you're immune to their circle-strafing machine gunning. You are the anti-light.

Yeah, the urbanmech is really fun when you play it as a screening mech. Pick your lumbering assault of choice, hug his ankles (without messing with advance or retreat), and either add your damage to his target, or discourage flankers while hiding behind him. Either way, don't stop moving for long, it's fun, and fast, and pokey. When the match gets on, if you still have armour, you can run through the brawl and get great trades against just about anyone.

stealthedit: never stop twisting. It helps if you imagine that you are roleplaying the girl from the exorcist.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Nope, that would be for poors! Inherit Daddy's spacebucks and buy a mech for every role, you pleb!!

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
Seriously, get used to the mechbay, it's not so bad.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
also wtf ghost dad ppc?

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
The trial mechs at least have half-decent loadouts now.

Back in the day they just used to be default loadouts for regular mechs. Total poo poo.

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
I have 'fun' playing mine as a worse, IS version of the Shadowcat.

2x LPL max JJ Hippity Hoppity. Yes, I will probably end up in the JJ tree on this one.

No, you probably shouldn't do this.

It's really bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
That loyalty blackjack from sometime-ago is a real piece of poo poo.