Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.

EoRaptor posted:

Constantly holding down the throttle button murders my wrist (carpel tunnel issues) so being able to hit W and then take my finger off it while still moving is a huge benefit to me. I can then tap between S and W to adjust my speed. I'm hoping that I can turn on throttle decay and bind W to 100% throttle and have it 'stick'.

Keep throttle decay on still. If you don't want to hold down W, just tap 0 on the numpad. That sets throttle to 100% until another throttle action is taken (including tapping W)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I played against an absolutely vicious 6xac5 ANH. Just nonstop pinpoint slams of 15 per. Not sure how you'd make it tho.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Living Legends still exists. And it even has it's own standalone installer/patcher now! Super easy to get up and running. That being said, there are still only like 40 people that play it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Hooooo baby I am going to BRING BACK the SHD-5M. You will all see. You will all fear.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

It's beautiful that it was not only a total stomp, but one where your assault didn't even fire.
Well, only fired words :smuggo:

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Thank you all for the Atlas input. Points me in a much better direction to not suck.

Still aiming for a big fatty?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Commoners posted:

We've been experimenting with light gauss. Trip report: it's still loving poo poo but lol.

FEAR HIM! FEAR THE LIGHT GAUSS! THE ONE TRUE KING COMETH!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shT5Vw3LyIE

note: posting this while video is still uploading. quality might be poo poo for an hour or so

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

aniviron posted:

LG has a higher DPS than normal gauss, though I don't think that accounts for the charge time.

LG has a charge time of .5sec compared to Gauss's .75. that probably pushes the dps higher too.
e: quick and dirty math says Gauss dps is ~2.61. Light Gauss dps is ~2.58
though cooldown quirks will disproportionately benefit the G over the LG. tradeoff being the 3 tons
also worth noting that gauss ammo is 150dmg/ton, LG ammo is 160/ton. if you give a poo poo about that.

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jan 24, 2018

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Standard for BW for a long time has been 2xUAC5, 2xAC5, XL engine. With LFE you can make it 4xUAC5 but it's viability is... sorta up in the air.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Stringbean posted:

I like to play mechs outside the constraints of normality.

This is honestly better advice than 90% of actual legitimate "build advice" in this thread. Find what works for you. Play with your team. Don't develop bad habits (like getting picked off by a pirhana 300m from your team).
Ask for general advice on weapons or quirks or builds, but ultimately flexibility and intimate familiarity with your mech will win the day every time.
There is no reason I should consistently break 1100dmg with an ATM shadowcat, but I do because I am good with it. Find what works, gently caress the haters, don't be pigeonholed. (Don't let yourself stagnate either though.)

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

To be clear, do you want a medium-class brawler or do you want a hit-and-runner? because those are very different mechs and playstyles. Hit and runners don't carry the kind of loadout you're thinking usually. Brawlers definitely do but they don't have the mobility to legit run from a fight, mostly just maneuver around one better than the heavies and assaults.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Then your best bet for what you described is probably the Bushwacker X1/X2. It's standard build is almost exactly what you described (but please god don't use streaks in a brawler. straight SRMs will win every time), it's definitely more mobile than most any heavy, and it's re-loving-donkulously tanky. Especially after you skill it out.
X1 has an extra ballistic you can use for more MG backup (always good), X2 has better base mobility stats, especially in the realm of torso mobility.
e: You might also seriously consider a Linebacker. They're heavies but stupidly fast and fairly thick, if a teensy bit anemic on weapons.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

The bottom line is that the Piranha deals a lot more damage than the Locust or Command, but at the cost of being ludicrously fragile. A gentle breeze is enough to blow out one of its legs or side torsos.

+1
Literally a single volley of streaks absolutely evaporates one. Or really just one decently aimed alpha from just about anything.
My personal favorite is the ones who try to strafe my urbie and seem utterly lost when I just keep turning to face them. Yes, you have 12 machine guns. But I have 5 mediums and can infinite turn to target your face.
I've also had just so much fun when they try to rush one of my atm mechs and I unload a volley right into their torso.
Thanks for running into range to make that a 54 damage volley! How is that 20 armor working for ya now?
...I really loving love murdering piranhas. It's a great time for me.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

"I'll play until I get a lucky game then show just that one screenshot to prove how good this mech is"

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I AM THE LAW

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I like the laser hellbringer so much that I bought a second hellbringer and made it bad.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=230&l=9d84663b7f2ea5ea20856f29f3eee00c996570a4

At least, I tried to.

How in the gently caress...
In that mech?
Was there a mass dc and you just farmed components?
Like... HOW?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

I genuinely think ppc/gauss is one of the least skilled combos that ever existed in this game, so they can all go blow themselves trying to blame it on "low skill" players.
Everyone I know who I consider a good player hated gauss/ppc with a passion. Everyone I met who liked it and used it with any sort of frequency I considered lovely players, always for completely unrelated reasons.

tl;dr - Point and click =\= skill

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Metal baby continues to be a pretty decent light. Not on par with, for example K9 or Piranhas, but still pretty decent. Excels as a little ecm energy harasser or a little srm bastard that uses it's mobility to sit right up a big mech's crease and pound in the back ct.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TipsyMcStagger posted:

How does the K9 fit differ from this one:
UM-R60L

Because i find this one to have great power for harassment to turn the bigger mechs around but weak against other lights.

The K9 has an extra energy slot, allowing for better repeated poke, and by far the most important thing... SIRENS!
WOOP WOOP! IT'S DA SOUND OF DA POLICE!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

effortpost regarding common ingame abbreviations you will encounter in the wild: maybe add a link to this post in OP?

This is only a list of abbreviations for reference, not a description of what they DO

GLOSSARY
LASERS:
μL/MiL = Micro Laser
SL = Small Laser
ML = Medium Laser
LL = Large Laser
(Standard Appendations apply to all)

PPCS:
PPC = Particle Projector Cannon (Standard Appendations: LPPC,PPC,HPPC)
Snub/SPPC = Snub-nose PPC

MISSILES:
SRM = Short Range Missile
SSRM = Streak Short Range Missile
MRM = Medium Range Missile
LRM = Long Range Missile
ATM = Advanced Tactical Missile
R(L) = Rocket Launcher (ex:R20/RL20/Rocket20)
A = Artemis (ex: ALRM15, ASRM6)

BALLISTICS:
AC = Autocannon (ex: AC20)
LB(X)= Shotgun-type Autocannons (ex: LB20X/LBX20/LB20)
UAC = Ultra Autocannon (ex: UAC20)
RAC = Rotary Autocannon (RAC5)
MG = Machine Gun (Standard Appendations: LMG,MG,HMG)
GR = Gauss Rifle (Standard Appendations: LGR,GR,HGR - Often appended with D for Dual ex:DHGR)

MISC:
TAG = Target Acquisition Gear (listed as TAG ingame)
NARC = Narc Missile Beacon (Listed as NARC ingame)
AMS = Anti-Missile System (Listed as AMS ingame)
LAMS = Laser Anti-Missile System (Listed as Laser AMS ingame)
BAP = Beagle Active Probe (clanside sometimes referred to simply as Active Probe)
TC/TarCom = Targetting Computer (ex: TC/Tarcom 2)

APPENDATIONS:
ER = Extended Range (ex: ERSL, ERLL, ERPPC - Extended Range Small Laser/Large Laser/PPC)
P = Pulse (ex: SPL, MPL, LPL - Small/Medium/Large Pulse Laser)
L = Light (ex: LMG, LGR, LPPC - Light Machine Gun/Gauss Rifle/PPC)
H = Heavy (ex: HML, HMG, HPPC - Heavy Medium Laser/Machine Gun/PPC)

Mechlab:
Std = Standard Engine (ex: Std350)
LFE/LE = Light Fusion Engine (ex: LE/LFE350)
XL = Extra Light Engine (ex: XL350)
DHS = Double Heat Sinks
Endo = Endo-Steel Structure
LFF = Light Ferro Fibrous Armor
FF = Ferro Fibrous Armor
ECM = Electronic Countermeasures (Listed ingame as ECM)
CASE = Cellular Ammunition Storage Equipment (Listed ingame as C.A.S.E.)
JJ = Jump Jet

Standard Abbrevations for Loadouts:
#xWeapon#
examples:
2xHLL, 4xHML = 2 Heavy Large Lasers and 4 Heavy Medium Lasers
2xUAC5, 2xAC5, XL350 = 2 Ultra Autocannon (5) and 2 Autocannon (5), XL350 Engine
3xASRM4, 4xHMG, Snub, LE300 = 3 Short Range Missile (4) with Artemis, 4 Heavy Machine Guns, and a Snub-nose PPC, LFE300 Engine

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Oh poo poo yeah, I've been forgetting for weeks to go find this.
Slightly out of date but excellent guide to all things MWO for newbies.
Newbie Guide! (mostly ignore the community resources video)

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 15, 2018

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

The only true answer is the LB60 dire whale. I don't care if it's awful. I can't not cackle like a madman while playing it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

Yeah, being Tier 1 or Tier 2 says nothing about your skill, but it does mean you have played the game for quite a while. People in Tier 5 or Tier 4 have not played the game so much and thus have less experience and are generally worse at the game, especially when it comes to pushing and twisting. Face staring (just staring straight at the enemy in a duel without twisting to spread damage) is endemic among beginners.

Also the previously stated "LRM shitbirds" become orders of magnitude less frequent at higher tiers.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

How Disgusting posted:

Thanks, I'm already in discord, as Stranger Here Myself. Can't vouch for my piloting skills, but I've managed to repeatedly troll and nag a pgi employee in the three days I was here.

There is no trolling 19. You vastly overestimate the quantity of fucks he gives. He's dealt with all of us for years.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

When active stealth armor causes you to (almost) entirely stop bleeding heat, so you have to manage on what heat containment you have. However, while active you cannot be targeted and you do not glow on thermals. Your own targeting is also extremely range restricted and you can't share targeting data to others.

e: being untargetable is also fantastic against all terrible players who won't shoot anything without a red triangle. I call it the Pubbie Shield.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

Me and ahdinko built 2 novas this weekend and had some real fun with them. I built mine with micro pulses and he built his with small pulses, had some great fun backstabbing lrm boats. And as always I can't quite remember the build, I had 5 tons of HMG ammo and maxed out tonnage but I can't make it happen now so whatever, you get the idea:
NVA-PRIME

The nova is and always will be a great mech solely due to its godhands. Good mobility, jets, and mg backup are just bonus.
You should try 6xERSL, 6xMicroPulse, 4xMG(pref on class). Nightmare poke under 400m, under 200 you charge and devastate. Perfect timing and heat containment to unload micros, smalls, micros, micros, all with mg firing. Destroy pretty much anything in under 4sec.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Axetrain posted:

Nah the trial mechs are community builds these days. You are still much better off using your own though, I don't think you can even skill trial mechs right?

He was talking about the old founders mechs that he owns.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Weird terrible mechs are fantastic fun, but good god have a REALLY solid foundation before you screw around with them. They're a good way to blow 20mil on a mech worth about 3.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

To be clear, I meant 3 cbills.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

quote:

Players will no longer be penalized for breaking Loyalty pledges or Mercenary Contracts.
Contracts will now remain active until manually cancelled, and the cancellation of a Mercenary Contract will not incur a penalty.

ABOUT loving TIME

e: also boost to atlas torso twist. Yay?
Also also, stealth buff to the MASC catphract buried way in there.

quote:

- MASC: Mk 4

BoostSpeed increased to 0.28 (from 0.17)

BoostAccel increased to 1.85 (from 1.8)

BoostDecel increased to 1.75 (from 1.7)

Rysithusiku fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Mar 18, 2018

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Smackdown!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Third World Reggin posted:

Never mind on the IS UAC/20. I figured its use and now I crack king crabs open on my cyclops.

EDIT: of things that the wiki doesn't tell you or may not be accurate, does the cyclops actually give sensor range to allies with its computer?

The wiki is not only wildly innacurate a large percentage of the time, it's also wildly out of date. Do not ever rely on it for anything.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

This game is, at it's best, arcane.
At it's worst? loving retarded.
Welcome to MWO!

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Artificer posted:

What's the HPPC Sparky build?

You take a Sparky... and you ram 2 HPPCs in it.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

TjyvTompa posted:

as anyone that has ever tried a 1vs1 vs. someone with flamers know they are so loving OP it's not funny.

This may be the most wrong thing I've ever heard.
It is a joke right?
Haha funny joke!

Seriously, you are joking right?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Bobcats posted:

Solo queue join times are fast. You’ll see the same names over and over but it’s perfectly healthy.

Hey, did you hear that whooshing sound?

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Drinkfist posted:

I would have been a little more ok with this if my Nova-S wasn't in the loving Atlas bracket and now I have to figure out a way to kill something that has 50 more tons than me and can turn fast enough that I cant out maneuver them.

Someone tell these fucks to put my nova in the fun division.

Uhh, a nova should stomp an atlas every time if played well. Take mediums or ppcs or even er smalls and stay outside it's SPLAT range ruining it. Or use your superior mobility to land directly on it for first engage, using your far superior pinpoint damage output to strip off it's most dangerous side before it can really hurt you. Or literally jumpjet directly over it and then hit it from behind.
Don't try to out facestare an atlas. You'll lose every time. It's not an armor competition, it's adaptability.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

NihilCredo posted:

all I have the AC/2 Blackjack which is catastrophically unfit for anything but long-range poking.

Clearly the answer is to ram ac20 in that bitch and go full kamikaze

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Forget WoL, Clan Mineral Animal is where it's at. (Not really, I'm the only remaining active member)

Excuse me, the Jetpack Ninja Dinosaurs unit is clearly where the money's at.
And I'm not recruiting so bite me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

They're just keyboard hooks, not game mods. They're fine.
I have a few premade and adjustable.
When I get home from work I'll post em.