Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
8 MGs to some assault's back is p. good right no, so 12 is like 50% better

imagine coming up behind a dual-HG Annihilator with your Pirahna buddy and each opening up on a torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

Ive been gone for a while, did PGI ever learn how to code after all these years?
Did we get tripping back?
DFA?
Melee Weapons?

1. eh
2-4. No :(

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I don't know that this is practical but it sure looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIsGedujcEg

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Weissritter posted:

Huh, so PPCs are decent again, maybe? I came back to this game yesterday (thanks for the OP!), and decided to go with the warhawk prime that I had. I stripped out its LRMs and a bit of leg armor to fit in more heat sinks.

Got about 500~600 damage in the few matches I played. Was pleasantly surprised by it, though still could not last long in an outright brawl. It still runs very hot, though I did group the PPCs by pairs rather than fire them one at a time.

Yeah, the WHK-Prime 4 ERPPC build is very good. It's not a brawler by any means, but it with a proper skill tree it does full damage out to about 950m, which is crazy

What you wanna do is find a nice bit of cover with an overview of where the fight is gonna happen and make it so that anything within a kilometer that pokes its head out gets a quick two-tap of PPC fire. Done properly you can create space for your team to maneuver, ruin a component before the fight starts in earnest, or straight-up kill smaller robots if you manage to pop an XL

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
PSA for Annihilator builds:

ALWAYS TAKE THE MAX ENGINE POSSIBLE

it is already Too Slow even at max speed, anything slower than that is unworkable

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Weissritter posted:

Is it viable to try 4 ERPPCs on any variants of the Mad Cat 2? Was thinking that may give me more heat sinks to work with compared to the Warhawk.

it'd probably work, but the WHK has some valuable PPC quirks the MC2 doesn't get

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

EoRaptor posted:

Are you planning to run up to another mech and explode with that bomb in your right torso? Seriously, put that stuff somewhere else.

Extremely this, spread it out a bit. Also, you can take out two tons of SRM ammo and maybe a ton of AC/20 ammo to put in jump jets.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://mwomercs.com/news/2018/01/1992-patch-notes-14145-23jan2018

Heavy Gauss rifle optimal range increased by 40m, BRB owning lights with the ANH

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Maybe something like this for the -5M?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=112&l=532a50fd2a6d893ea361a79a3751179d3290a8eb

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Corn Burst posted:

Just had the best match of my MWO "career". 9 kills and 800 damage dealt in a MLX-G. Yep. A Mist Lynx. MGs and Heavy smalls.

MLX-G can dish out a hilarious amount of damage, nice job

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Piranha scale comparison:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2018/01/1990-countdown-to-release-piranha-jan-23rd

It's itsy-bitsy!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Slayerjerman posted:

You can use the Zeus' missle hand to do all sorts of crazy poo poo like firing from cover while the rest of the fatmech is protected behind a wall. But then you get the crybabies that scream dont LRM on an Assault in the first place despite some assaults being quirked for exactly that... Then of course you need to share armor, which most LRMers completely fail to do. When I run an LRM assault, I play it like a mobile body shield - I get up front, soak tons of damage within >300-500m then fall back when most of my armor is gone to lob LRMs from afar and provide that extra punch when focusing down specific targets. Its only when I run the "glass cannon" builds like my Archer-5W that I tend to hang back more.

Honestly I'm not sure why people have problems with LRMs over getting face-rapped by a laser vomit build, its all kind of equally bad if you play bad.

I'm fine with playing against LRM boats because it's easy to counter them and they have an issue where they're only really effective in games your team would likely already win. Oftentimes you'll see them used by new players who are incredibly ineffective -- I'm thinking of the dudes who will lock me at the beginning of a match and lob missiles at me every time I peek out of cover (which then just hit a wall when I reverse into cover), which suggests that they haven't switched targets once the whole match. At least Bads who use direct fire builds can soak up some fire and luck into a quality alpha or two.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
RAC5/AC2 BLACK WIDOW

eh? eh?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Neh. Neh.

Don't waste one'a the best heroes in the game.

yeah but I already did the UAC/5 and AC/5 build and it's v. good but this is hilarious

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

That just makes more work because now everything needs curation. I also have severe doubts about keeping such an archive remotely up to date. Stuff like that tends to get abandoned real fast, and the effort to reward ratio isn't great either. There are, what, maybe two dozen goons who even play this game? And some of them are fully capable of building their own robits. Putting a ton of time into a build archive that's locked away on a paid forum and useful to only a handful of people sounds like a waste.

For us, I think the best option is for people to request builds and critiques on a case-by-case basis.

Ideally, Metamechs or something like it would be around and up to date, but it doesn't seem like anyone in the wider community is interested in handling that workload.

I think the best option there would just be general suggestions, like:

Try to make sure your weapons have a similar range bracket

Never include just one of the following weapons (SRMs, MLs, etc.)

It's OK for builds to run hot if you're playing them as pokers or if they have a high enough alpha

it's possible for a build to run TOO cool, because then you're wasting potential damage

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Yeah the -S obsoletes the -D and almost obsoletes the -D-DC depending on how you feel about ECM

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
anyone have a good brawly non-laservom Roughneck build? I like mechs with hilarious amounts of health that take way too long to kill because it makes the pubbies mad

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
OK so I saw a guy in a match take that MASC Wolverine and put one MRM and drat near a max engine on it

I think it's something like this:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=429&l=cea591382b38aa7d88b4f2f24d491aa74a5d97e2

anyway I took it out for a spin and it is hilariously fast and very fun! Gets up to about 140 when you MASC it and you just dump MRM40 salvos all day

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

3xHMG, 2xMRM20: RGH-1B
You can also run it like this, 2xMRM30: RGH-1B

Edit: I also made this work a while back 3xHMG, 3xSRM6-A: RGH-1B

Skippy McPants posted:

Sorry, missed this earlier. You probably want the RGH-1C, it's got the right hardpoints and a higher turn speed than the other Roughnecks, which is huge for a brawler. Convergence on the SRM4s is probably not great, so I suppose you could replace them with two MRM20s.

noice, ty

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 22, 2018

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
some video of the Piranha in action:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/221347069

spoiler: don't let it get behind you or it'll chew through a torso in three seconds flat

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Are light mechs easier to pilot than the larger ones or something? I suck poo poo with mediums. Do ok to bad with large and assault. But my light mech feels like a total death machine.

If you get caught out of position in an Annihilator, you are pretty much boned, but you can run away in a Locust

If you peek a dual-heavy gauss mech who has you zeroed in an Annihilator you will take damage but survive, but you will be one-shot in a Locust

they're forgiving of positioning mistakes but unforgiving of engagement mistakes

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Crazyeyes24 posted:

In other news, I have gotten my black widow all skilled up and have been doing rather well with it. Not quite carrying, but getting some big damage in.
Build, after recommendations from other goons: http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=385&l=a729063638ba38294e034a5fefd993d102d65440
And then the skills, more just my own design: https://kitlaan.gitlab.io/mwoskill/?p=jsonbin1.5a66c4e2be324e31fbf4d47b#s=Weapons

classic BW build, one of my favorites

the weird thing about it is you run out of ammo awful quick, but it pumps out so much damage that the match is usually over by then anyway.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Black Widow owns hard, best IS hero mech IMO. I've been playing it with dual LBX20s lately. It doesn't sound like it would be so strong but I've been having big multiple 1k+ games in it recently. You can torso twist like an absolute madman in between strikes and basically feel like a boxer doing Dempsey rolls in it. But the classic UAC5s + AC5s is outstanding. Warhammers in general are fantastic bread and butter IS mechs.

hell yeah Warhammers own

Here's a fun mech that's v. new player friendly as well

WHM-6R with 2 AC/10s and 4 ML

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Piranha first impressions:

incredibly fragile, but that's compounded by people breaking out streaks and the like for the first day

hardpoints in torso make it a bit harder to keep on something while you're circling it

that being said, does an obscene amount of damage

the cockpit sucks rear end and has practically no peripheral visibility

once things settle down I think it'll be p. good though

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Commoners posted:

We've been experimenting with light gauss. Trip report: it's still loving poo poo but lol.

I wish there was a way to realistically fit two into the Grid Iron to take advantage of quirks but it's just not working for me

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Best I could do on short notice:

LIGHT GAUSS GRID IRON

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Washout posted:

Are you saying the grid could be useful again? I used to poo poo out 1k matches in it all day but I got really mad and quit when it got nerfed all to hell. (also all the cheating but eh)

It's actually p. decent now with regular gauss or heavy gauss. I'm just tryna build a monster

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Yardbomb posted:

I'm dumb and considering giving PGI money, so I figured I'd ask first on the "Steam Packs - sold through Steam’s DLC store these packs offer a pair of mechs, along with some premium time, MC, and a few other goodies. They’re a decent buy if, and only if, both mechs in the pack are good." stuff, is the Medium Mech II one any good? Shadow Cat's in the OP but how's the babby Crab? Also I can get it for a chunk below the actual steam price so that might help a little bit.

Crab isn't top-tier but it can still do work. You can play it like a MPL striker like this

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=da6afbf2020d4c47c95cf57a1a2306932d214d13

or maybe this old Metamechs LPL build

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=09b8c111f321277b8e7afaa2d233294f0f67c4de

I think a large/medium laservom might work on it too? maybe this?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=332&l=5b36a7f597dda011b7bd8b1079eb50ba8adc98b2

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliviousTenderDragonflyCeilingCat

lol

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

3 Tablets Daily posted:

Reinstalled MWO took one look at the skill tree and noped right the gently caress out. What were they smoking when they decided there needed to be that many nodes?

I did the same thing. It's actually not super bad once you realize there's a few optimal paths for different types of robot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TjyvTompa posted:

RIP in pepperonis, too beautiful for this world

A Clean Kill

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TheKingslayer posted:

Which is a good engine? That's maybe the part I'm most sketchy about with building mechs.

in general you want as close to max engine as possible in light mechs. For the urbie this is a 180, and you can fit a standard on it

K-9

maybe something like that?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Hey so I bought a Mad Cat II-2

I took this build from a JujuShinobi vid:

MCII-2 "BAPTIST"

my dudes it is the brawler Scorch build but with five tons more Stuff and a jump jet. I'm so enamored that I gave it a dumb name for nerds in the mechlab so it sounds more badass.

I've played 12 matches in it. In one my team base rushed on Incursion so I did no damage. In another a Sleipnir put two heavy gauss rounds through my cockpit at the beginning of a push and I did like 160 damage (which is two alphas, this is important).

In the other 10 I am averaging 888 damage in this thing with an 11/1 KDR. Sub-200m it will beat the poo poo out of any other robot in the game. You can actually see people panic when they come around a corner and see the build readout. Most mechs will be severely compromised after just one alpha, and you can get off three before you overheat (so take extra coolshots).

it is very good and you should buy it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Yes and no. The Locust has some modest structure quirks, higher mobility, and better geometry than the Piranha. What the Piranha has, is 15+ weapon hardpoints.

The bottom line is that the Piranha deals a lot more damage than the Locust or Command, but at the cost of being ludicrously fragile. A gentle breeze is enough to blow out one of its legs or side torsos.

+1 on this. never put yourself in a situation where something can saw your legs off, only attack targets from behind or if they've already got important components open, be ready to disengage at a moment's notice

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

But machine guns are so fuuuuuuuuuun...

MLX-G

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Eclipse12 posted:

Yeah, but then I'd have to use a Clan mech.

SDR-5K

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Shadowed Bacon posted:

So I tried a stab at building a mech: MCII-B , how bad did I mess up?

So what I would do when building a mech is think about how an engagement with it might go

For this one you'd probably open with the LRM at long range, right? The problem here is that LRMs (when they do work) need to be used en masse because they spread damage so dramatically. You've only got one so you'll be tickling people at best.

Then you'd probably move to some combination of the LRM and ER large lasers. You'd outgun anything short-ranged, of course, but the LRM requires you to maintain facetime to keep a lock and the ER larges have a long burn time. You'd have to keep staring at the enemy, basically, and you're not doing enough damage at range to justify it. Like, if you go up against an ERPPC Warhawk, you'll get wrecked -- he'll put four PPCs in your CT by the time your lasers have finished burning, and then he'll move behind cover to avoid the LRMs.

So, OK, now you're in brawling range and you can bring the U/AC20s into play. Two of them ghost heat one another so you have to stare more than you'd like, but you can still do work with them and people aren't going to be eager to eat all that damage. But what's happened is that you can't effectively bring your LRM or ER larges into play at that range -- the LRM because you'll be within minimum range and the ER Larges because they'll overheat you very quickly. That's 13.5 tons of weapons/ammo that you straight-up cannot use at the range where your primary weapons are most effective.

So what you have is a mech that can't LRM effectively, can't trade at long range, and will be outgunned by high-alpha brawlers at short range.

Also a mech that can take jump jets should always take one. It doesn't need to be more than one but the advantage in mobility it gives is extremely valuable.

Truth be told the MC-II-B doesn't work as a brawler since it only has the one missile slot and any dual gauss/dual PPC thing got killed by the new ghost heat rules.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok guys,

I haven't played in 2 years and my god what the gently caress.... I'm completely lost now.

I have 92 mechs:

22 Lights:
Adders
Artic Cheetahs
Jenners
Ravens
Spiders
Kit Fox
Locusts
Couple Firestarters

39 Mediums:
Blackjacks
Centurions
Cicadas
Griffins
Hunchbacks
Nova
Stormcrow
Shadowhawk
Trebuchets
Wolverines

24 heavies:
Cataphract
Catapult
Dragons
Jaeger
Orion hero
Quickdraw
Summoner
Thunderbolt
Timberwolf

23 Assault:
Atlas
Awesome
battlemaster
Direwolf
Highlander hero
King Crab
Stalker
warhawk

5 million C-bills, a bunch of GXP, bunch of old XP stuff..

Looking for a couple builds that I can get back into it and make money. I do have a bunch of +cash mechs I think...

Here's a couple:

WHK-PRIME
this one should be p. cheap since it's mostly what the Warhawk is already

GRF-2N with Artemis, 79kph
GRF-2N without Artemis, 88 kph
good medium brawler

WVR-7D
Insanely fast with a 40-point alpha. MASC makes it go like 135ish in short bursts.

DRG-5N
Unironically one of the best mechs in the game due to insane quirks

SMN-M
Humongously powerful jumpsniper

TBT-7M
Big alpha MRM striker. May want to play with the engine/ammo on this

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Ok this is going to sound weird, but what the gently caress is MASC and Medium Range Missiles? Jesus this game has changed..

and poptarts still a thing it looks like

MASC is a piece of equipment that temporarily boosts your mech's speed and agility by some amount. I think it's like 30-ish kph? you can only toggle it for 7ish seconds before your legs start to cook so you have to use it in short bursts but it's v. good in brawls

MRMs are missiles that have high velocity but all come out in a stream as opposed to all at once like SRMs. It's a p. quick stream but they will still spread so they're mostly effective against bigger, slower targets like assaults

and poptarts are a thing but they made gauss+PPCs ghost heat so you usually only get people firing two PPCs at a time so it's not as bad. Summoner can do a lot of work though because it has a shitload of JJs, high mounts, and 70-tonner armor

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

TipsyMcStagger posted:

do you have any top dog builds that work? i'm kinda lost in skill tree stuff as well.. right now i'm running what I used to run which is a 3 LRG Pulse and 3 medium top dog and just running with that for some matches.

Commoners had a good build for that which is similar but I can't recall it off the top of my head. Someone else in the thread remember?