Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
New year, new thread :hellyeah:

Anyone pre-ordered the Piranha?

e;
Also might want to add to the op that buying mech bays is a good thing, especially when they're on sale :v:

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jan 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
You know what's great about Alpine Peaks?

Absolutely loving nothing! :argh:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Please help me to stop wasting time on this stupid game

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

This is... Horribly accurate

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I loved Steel Battalion for the original Xbox and nothing beat using this thing:

But I've just noticed that Thrustmaster have released this (complete with pre-defined but customisable MWO key mappings):

Steel Battalion used footpedals too, but the Thrustmaster also has the ability to use them too!

Extremely tempted! Thoughts?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Hey man, didn't you know that gaming peripherals give you the edge?

Purchased (oh god)

Crazyeyes24 posted:

I too loved steel battalion, and wish I actually owned it. However the current Mechwarrior design makes KB+M so much more usable that anything else is just gimping you. If you have the money and must spend it, save it for MW5Mercs.

Dual stick+throttle setup would be pretty slick for Elite Dangerous though, if you're into that sort of thing.

I was actually thinking about using them for MW5 Mercs. Not tried Elite Dangerous but Descent was just re-released on Steam which I picked up this time around.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Axetrain posted:

I owned Steel Battalion when it came out. It was a ton of fun but I still don't know if it was worth it. The controller slowly broke apart on me over time with switches and knobs falling off.

The controller was, for the most part, pretty sturdy but yeah, having your Oxygen switch fly off on start up was a pain.
There were tweaks you could do to the controller to help prolong its life. I seem to remember a lot of people removing one of the two springs from each of the foot pedals because of the amount of strain they'd put on the components.
And I don't know a single person who would close their eject button cover because god drat the potential of losing your pilot in a blaze of permadeath was scary - and that's a good thing, because that cover definitely felt flimsy.

If you had it when it came out, did you also purchase Line of Contact?

free hubcaps posted:

god I wish they made a new chromehounds

Check out M.A.V - it's a spiritual successor, apparently...

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Could someone please explain what ghost heat is because all I can think of is a ghost which is hot and spooky

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

It's the community term for Heat Scale.

Edit: you can find the stats for all the linked weapon groups here, under the "Heat Penalties per weapon" section.

Thank you!
This explains it very well, and I now understand that Heat Spike warning thing a lot better

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Could I get some feedback on this Cataphract CTF-4X idea?

CTF-4X

Never really done ballistics before, would this 2x Rotary A/C 5 with one back up laser be viable?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Not worth using rotary then?

Skippy McPants posted:

So, two questions here.

Do you want to try RACs specifically? They're a different kind of weapon than any other ballistic and only good in a pretty narrow range of builds.

Also, are you married to running the CTF-4X specifically, or are other variants and chassis on the table?

I want to use the CTF-4X specifically. I'd also really like to try RACs.

If it's futile to run RACs with the CTF-4X, I do also have a CPT-K2 I could use. Though I did just blow 5.2 mil on the CTF-4X because I thought it'd be neat to have a ballistic heavy.

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Jan 21, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

Unfortunately, the CTF-4X is a pretty bad mech. In addition to the low mounts and bad hitboxes which are innate to the chassis, the 4X also has an unusually low engine cap. This would be one of those situations where asking in the thread before buying would have been wise. Since you're stuck with it now, I would agree that the quad AC5s is about the best build on the mech. However, I'd recommend this CTF-4X over the one TjyvTompa posted. It cuts the MLs and adds Light-Ferro to squeeze in an LFE. XLs are a dangerous game to play in the Cataphract.

Moving on to RACs, I think they work best on the Bushwhacker P2 and X2. 55 tons is about the sweet spot for dual RAC 5s, and you can't beat that BSW at that weight. That said, you can fit a decent version of the build on the CPLT-K2.

Live and learn I guess.

I'll try both of those builds out (CTF-4X and CPLT-KT) when C Bills permit

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Oh God, this was the best nerd rage I've heard in a long while - and consequently, one of the most fun matches I've had all week.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Crazyeyes24 posted:

MechWarrior Online: Die like a man, MechWarrior

This needs to be the thread title

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably, but I set myself a limit of 16 builds for the recommendations section to keep the workload manageable. I want to keep the OP up to date, and that gets a lot harder if I have to retool dozens of builds every time the meta shifts a fraction.

How about a very basic list of chassis to avoid, with a small comment on why - and maybe even an alternative choice instead.

Example:
Kitfox: Unforgiving hitboxes and not very durable. Recommend Mist Lynx instead.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Yardbomb posted:

Whoever bought the "Die like a man, Mechwarrior" ad, you did good.

:tipshat:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Happy Piranha Day!

Blapblapblapblapblap

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

TheParadigm posted:

k-9 on sale for 1125. Pirate's bane for 750. If you're a kit fox fan, the purifier's also on sale.

Repeat, the k-9 is on sale. Everyone should have gotten enough for it from the christmas login day if you haven't spent it already.

This mech is worth it even if it isn't on sale. Don't have one already? Go pick up that cute little bad rear end right now!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
3375 MC to blow on a Hero mech, but which one?
(I have a Hellbringer from the Xmas lootbags, a K9, Pirates Bane and Oxide, and I'm already in the process of picking up the Cyclops hero).

e;
NVM, Picked up a Black Widow

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jan 27, 2018

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

TipsyMcStagger posted:

5 million C-bills, a bunch of GXP, bunch of old XP stuff..

Looking for a couple builds that I can get back into it and make money. I do have a bunch of +cash mechs I think...

There are some recommended builds in the OP you could check out. Also the Thunderbolt with 3 large pulse lasers is simple, but fun, and something I'd recommend to anyone starting out and thinking 'what the gently caress is this game now, what do I do?' just to ease them in.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Finally managed to get this running in Linux so I'll probably be more active again after not playing for a while.

I think when I stopped the Fafnir had just been announced and was taking pre-orders so I'm not too sure what or how much has changed!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Skippy McPants posted:

play and enjoy while you can!

I feel like i'm missing something... there was a running joke years back that the game was dead - is that actually the case now?

Reading the official forums seems like they're trying to adjust matchmaking to stop people giving up on MWO or something?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
That's interesting, and kind of sucks too. I love this game.

This thread on the official forums is interesting. It seems like PGI are trying to do something about it and I hope it pays off. They say at peak times the number of players is ~1500 which seems quite good. I jumped into a couple of matches yesterday to relive my Urbanmech and Nova funtimes and found matches fairly quickly - I did notice that the couple of matches I played seemed to finish faster than I remembered, but thought it was bad memory on my part

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I have to ask:

Is the infamous team-killer poopfeast420||||||||||||| still active?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Thanks for the games tonight, goons. I had a blast!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I made a guide getting MWO to run on Linux in case there are other Linux goons out there that want to play but can't.

It's actually quite simple and takes only a couple of minutes to do - and the performance is just as good as Windows

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Hahaha!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I'm having a lot of fun just rolling around in my old Panther again. The enemy, for some reason, largely ignores me a lot of the time.

It has a PPC, ams and large laser and a hotrod flame pattern :krad:

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Compared to other shooters, MWO is quite a relaxing experience.

I mean, it has its crazy moments in battle and what-not, but in general it feels kind of laid back once you know what you're doing. Messing around with mech builds is a lot of fun, too - especially once you've got the c-bills for it (you can also test-modify and test-drive said modified mech prior to dropping any in game currency on them which is nice).

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Tias posted:

It's suggested in the OP that I 'buy' a certain mech, but when I pressed quickplay I just spawned in a warhawk assault mech. Do I get mechs for free, or do I just run the Warhawk as the initial one or what :confused:

Click Home then Select 'Mech. You can set filters to find the one you want, assuming you have it available. There are always Trial mechs available.

To buy mechs, click on the gold Store button. If you need to edit a mech, click the Loadout button (or if you want to edit your already-selected mech, just click on the Mechlab button at the top)

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Tias posted:

I enjoyed the trial Warhawk, but I had trouble firing the PPC. It's like I had to hold in the 1 button for a while, and then sometimes it would fire the bolt and sometimes not - it still wrecked some poo poo, but the waiting period and uncertainty made it too unreliable to rely on.

PPC should fire on click

Gauss rifle, on the other hand, needs to charge and the little square on your hud will turn green when it's good to let go of the fire button. If you don't let go, the charge will drop and no shot will be fired (and therefore no ammo deduction).

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

Anita Dickinme posted:

You guys are still playing this? What’s changed?

PSR (tiers) are resetting tonight.

I dont think much has changed other than solo and group queues have merged so it's faster to find matches.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Could just all move to GIRL and leave unit MotD advising everyone else to do the same?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
World of Legman

Weird orange leader

Whisky of Life

Win or Lose

Weapons of Love

Worst of Luck

Wailing on Lute

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
it sure does remind me of Lbake's 7!

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

albany academy posted:

i got the solaris 7 hero mech pack that was 50% off on steam :shepspends:

Can these be used only in Solaris, or in any game mode?

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I dropped into a game yesterday having not played for a while. In a PPC Panther. On Canyon.

I did not survive long, but it was definitely fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Tourmaline Desert is a great map!

E; oh wow, great post for top of page :downs:

Uhh, content i guess:

Now PGI are paying more attention to the game, how's the player base looking and are they planning on allowing teams larger than 4 to drop together again?

a dmc delorean fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 26, 2021