Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

paper bag with a face posted:

I just remembered.

this is a sword, technically

Changing my vote to daedric crescent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Xarbala posted:

Actually I was wondering if I misremembered, and did some more digging. As it turns out, I was wrong. Odachi were exceedingly difficult to make and fragility in a sword is just a mark of flaws in its construction, and somewhere along the lines I must have conflated the two, thanks in part to the known relative frailty of Japanese swords under sustained stress. There's (admittedly mostly anecdotal) evidence that odachi did see use in combat, though always with the caveat of how impractical it was compared to other weapons--one surviving school of martial arts actually encourages not drawing the sword from its sheath per se, but rather throwing the sheath off the sword! For a long time I thought the lack of non-ceremonial surviving examples was due to their failure as weapons, but in fact this was actually the result of the Tokugawa Shogunate ban on odachi, one of many such restrictions on various weapons during the consolidation of power following the end of the sengoku period. Many of these greatswords were cut down to smaller blades, and it was the ornamental examples that escaped this prohibition due to their non-military purpose.

Still not great against armor, and if used against horses was more likely to be aimed towards the legs rather than the body. The mental image of a sword capable of bisecting horses, however, remains a compelling one. However, as usual, historians don't have enough information to know for sure how common military odachi were, or whether they really were mostly ceremonial/display pieces sometimes put to use as weapons.

There's a reason I usually stay quiet in milhist discussions, I have a mind like a steel sieve. Unnecessarily thick and filled with holes.

A childhood friend of mine is actually a Samurai era historian now who's been on tv shows and everything (also ninjutsu fans either love or hate him), now I want to pester him about odachi.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Breaking it might not be a problem if it’s a ghost sword we can summon again.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

Changing my vote to daedric crescent

No. It is a dumbshit design by an unfun lunatic and I shall have no part of it.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

The vote is tied. Therefore, i'm restricting the vote to the following:
Main hand:
A. Scimitar
B. Broadsword

Offhand:
Ha. Gladius
Hc. Khopesh
J. Nothing.

Everyone who has already voted for one of these options, no need to do anything else. Everyone else, please either vote for one of these options if you haven't voted, or change your vote if you have voted.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 23, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BHa

BJ.

Runa fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 23, 2018

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You are having an unfortunate number of ties, it seems.

Changing to AHc.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Write-in DHb

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Off-Hand: Ha. Gladius to go with the Broadsword.
Decided to stay with my previous vote. Just the Broadsword.

edit: oh my god I have an avatar. How wonderful. :allears:

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jan 23, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Ha. Voted earlier for straight B. Still prefer single sword to doublesword, but if that's the way the vote's going, that's the way the vote's going.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 23, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

dont be mean to me posted:

You are having an unfortunate number of ties, it seems.

Changing to AHc.

I mean, if we HAVE to dual wield AHc is the good option

Changed below

Slaan fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

If you would prefer not to dual-wield, vote J. It seemed the popular option, but i might have misjudged

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ah, great.

Slaan posted:

I mean, if we HAVE to dual wield AHc is the good option

HcJ if possible

or

AJ if not

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Magnusth posted:

If you would prefer not to dual-wield, vote J. It seemed the popular option, but i might have misjudged

Oh, in that case, J. BJ Hunnicutt.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Changing to B for the vague hope of being Chinese Boardsword.

Changing to Hc

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 23, 2018

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
AJ

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Slaan posted:

Ah, great.

HcJ if possible

or

AJ if not

Yeah sure I'll go with this.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Same, BJ

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

BJ. Already voted for B, and a second conjuration would just diminish the unitary nature of our one true sword.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
AJ

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Voting is closed!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Your name is Faridah. You are a proud redguard of hammerfell, and you are 24 years old.
As a child, you lived as an orphan on the streets of Hegathe. There, you lived off petty crime and pickpocketing. You made friends there. A khajit child named J'arri, whose mother had succumbed to plague; a fellow redguard girl named Mirriam, a few years older than you, who once broke a guard's arm when he tried to accuse you of thievery, and a half-imperial whoreson who thought he was above you, but still shared his food.

You have seen none of them in many many years, for at the age of 9, a wandering warrior took you in an brought you to the hall of the virtue and war, where you lived and trained with other maidens for thirteen years. At the age of 22, you went for the walkabout, traveling the countryside, righting wrongs and aiding the weak, and on your return, you became a Maiden of Battle. That was also the year when first you killed a man; bandits accosted you and a fellow traveler on the road, but you gave them your steel and your sword-song, and they fell.

You have, once, manifested the faintest glimmer of a Sehai, the spirit sword, but it went unrecognized. Now, for the first time in generations, you have manifested a full Sehai; likely, you are the first true ansei, sword-saint, of the era. You open your eyes, but even before, you know what you will see. In your right hand, you hold the true sword of your soul, a swift and righteous scimitar, the traditional weapon of your people, glowing golden, blazing with power. You twirl it once in your hand, and it's a strange feeling. It is weightless, but it still has some inertia and… well, not weight, but resistance. It threathens to fail at the slightest lapse in focus and concentration, and even now, you feel it slowly fading; it won't last long. With two strikes you cut away the bars of your cell and step into the hall; there you see three warriors stepping over the bleeding body of a guard. They are clad in alik'r nomad garb, hardened leather with colorful layers of cloth, and wield scimitars.
You sidestep one swing, and bring your golden, glowing blade down on the blunt side of the sword, which cuts cleanly in half, and, while sidestepping a blow from another of the warriors, you bring your pommel up, smacking your enemy on the temple. He staggers back, and you bring your blade down across both his chest and his friend's, and

They crumble.

You whirl to the left, to the third of the warriors, your blade held in the twenty-seventh defensive position, from which you can defend against eighty-nine of the hundred and one possible attacks with a scimitar from the left, as well as thirty-three possible attacks with a hidden dagger, and you can sword-swing the twenty-four tones that can counter the most likely magical attacks used by the Alik'r.
You need not have bothered, however. This sound is nothing you'd ever expect to hear out of a khajit, but you do. Do'Zaro busts through the bars of his cell, which almost explode outwards, and shoulderchecks the warrior into the wall. The way the redguard's head slams into the wall might well have put him down for the count, but Do'Zaro follows up with the jagged end of the bar he ripped from its setting. It's not sharp enough to pierce the man's hardened leather, but it has significant strength, momentum and weight behind it, and…

The man crumbles.

For the first time you turn your attention towards something beyond your immediate opponents. There are cells on both sides of the hallway, five on each side, not counting the two you and Do'Zaro have busted out of, and the inmates there are shouting for you to free them too. More pressingly, you see more redguards in alik'r armor amassing at the end of the hall, where the stairs lead up to the rest of the prison, including the yard and the exit. There are five, and judging from the way they hold their swords, they are of similar skill to the three you just dispatched with Do'Zaro. All except one, futherthest in the back. He wears a similar armor, and a scimitar, but from the way he holds his left hand, he is a mage, and ready to cast some sort of magic.

What do you do?
A.
Demand their surrender! You and your friend just dispatched three alik'r warriors with ease, Do'Zaro is over six feet tall, and roared like a lion while smashing through iron bars, and you're wielding a glowing spirit sword that they are likely to recognize as a Sehai. Alik'r warriors are brave, honorable, and hardy, used to scorching heat and to facing down giant monsters. But if anything can break them, you and Do'Zaro might.
B. Charge! It will take four strokes to fell the first three of the warriors; and you're certain your Sehai will last that long at least. The mage is likely to be a problem, but you do know the propper tones to sword-sing in response to most magical attacks. If your Sehai lasts.
C. Dismiss your Sehai and grab an unbroken scimitar from one of the people you just defeated. It won't be as great a weapon, not by a long, long long shot, but you feel confident that you can still win if you need to fight the alik'r warriors, and you won't have to worry about your sword disapearing. Not being a perfect expression of your soul, a mundane weapon will likely be slightly less optimal for the more mystical techniques of sword-singing and aberrant swordsmanship which you know.
D: Use the few moments you have to cut open the nearest three cells, freeing the prisoners there, who will probably grab weapons off the downed alik'r warriors.
E: finish off the warriors you've put down. They are unlikely to survive in any case without medical attention or magic, but they aren't dead yet, and could potentially rejoin the fight if they have healing potions or magic items on them. Or perhaps you just dislike leaving enemies alive.
F: Something else! Write in.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
D

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

F. Throw the Sehai at the mage. Then remanifest it back to your hand.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
B. Move swiftly before that mage can react and, with your new friend's help, get sum.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
D Just you and Do'Zaro against five will be difficult, even with skill and strength, and it would be best to assume there will be more enemies to come. Hopefully we can win a few allies to even the odds.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Nyaa posted:

F. Throw the Sehai at the mage. Then remanifest it back to your hand.

This is a valid vote. However, you are very much not confident in your ability to hit a mage standing behind three warriors with a thrown sword. And you're almost certain you can't manifest the Sehai again that quickly. You've manifested it, once, with some sort of... strange, outside help. You do think you could manifest it again sometime, and that you have had a... breakthrough in your understanding. But now, at a moment's notice? you doubt it.
That said, this is still a valid vote.

Kristopher
Jun 28, 2006
D

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I like B because it's bold, but I think D is a much more prudent course of action right now. I doubt our ability to geek the mage here and now so we need backup.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Faridah grew up on the streets, she knows that numbers win fights. D.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Xarbala posted:

Agreed. Let's even the odds.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Xarbala posted:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We know the streets, we know how to bluff

A

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Slaan posted:

We know the streets, we know how to bluff

A

This was literally the other option I was coin-flipping over.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

D is the option that increases our ranks by 150% and disarms the downed guards (and potentially kills them too if the freed prisoners are quick and ruthless). Turning a 2v8 into a 5v5 means we only have to worry about one opponent at a time instead of getting overwhelmed by four.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

D More dudes means more bodies in the fight for them to attack and defend against.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

D. Increase battlefield complexity.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Vavrek posted:

D. Increase battlefield complexity.

I mean we’ll struggle to top the Incredible Hulk Lion Man in terms of allies, but the more the merrier. Then let’s get that spell sword and his cronies. :hist101:

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

You jump forward, spin, arm outstretched, for two cuts, and then a third.

Emaciated-looking redguards in rags like yours quickly rush out. Two of them grab scimitars off the downed warriors. The third, a woman, grabs the broken blade you cut in two, and the keys off the downed guard, then rushes back behind you. From the clanking you hear, you guess that she is probably freeing more prisoners?
The whole thing has taken moments, but your enemies haven't been idle those few moments. The mage has moved up, standing shoulder-to-shoulder with the warriors at the front, three abreast. The two flanking the mage have turned slightly towards him, swords raised; a defensive posture. You will have to either cut one of them down first, use a secret, mystical technique, or risk serious harm, if you wish to attack the mage. This is… relevant, as you hear the tell-tale shuuuish sound magicka being drawn up and shaped, and you have only moments before some spell flies downrage, and from the way the mage stares at you, you are the likely target.

What do you do?

A. Prepare to block the spell with your blade. This is generally impossible, but Leki taught sword-singers the arts of aberrant swordsmanship, to bend and guide the subtle tones of the world with your sword. One of the first skills of aberrant swordsmanship, of true sword-song, is sing-dancing the secret tones that block and dissipate direct magical attacks, and you have mastered these tones. You are almost certain that you can do this, but it will likely be your last stroke before your sehai dissipates. Afterwards, you'll have to pick up a weapon, or a metal bar, or ask one of the other prisoners for their scimitar, or find some other way to fight.

B: You haven't just masted the basic tones to block and dissipate magical attacks, but you have delved deeply into such studies, and therefore, you prepare to not just block whichever magical attack is headed your way, but turn it on your blade and send it back the other way. Likewise, your studies will allow you to cut down illusions, sever curses, unbind bound daedra, and otherwise cut magical concepts that should not be cuttable.. Note that there are many, many techniques of aberrant swordsmanship, and you have not mastered them all; voting for this option therefore represents a significant amount of effort invested into these particular techniques instead of other techniques of aberrant swordsmanship. It is not nessecarily the only such technique you will know, but you know two or three, at most. This will likely be your last stroke before your sehai dissipates.

C: Charge the three steps to he mage, then cut him down with the Ephemeral Feint! This is another maneuver of aberrant swordsmanship, famously taught to men by Leki, so that they could settle on who was the most powerful. With it, your sword will momentarily become a ghost-sword, the memory of sword and pass through all it touches, which will let you get around the mage's guards and sword. As B, this will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques.
That said, while all techniques of aberrant swordsmanship take years of training, study and understanding to even begin to learn, let alone master, this is a ‘basic' technique, and will not have taken as much effort and time as the other options here. You feel like you might have time for another stroke with yours sehai after this, but you're not sure where this instinct comes from.
Using this skill is mentally and physically taxing, and will leave you wearier, more tired.

D: Charge the three steps to the mage, then cut him down with the Threat Of Mirrors! Calculating and sword-singing the perfect tone several times over, a skill known as the ‘math athlete,' your position shifts, and you are several places at once for but a moment. The meagre defenses of these warriors, hardy and skilled as they may be, cannot stand up to that. This is a fairly advanced technique, and if you have mastered it, you will not have had the time to master any other techniques of aberrant swordsmanship beyond the basics. You believe you may have time for another stroke with your Sehai after this move.
This skill is mentally and physically taxing, and will leave you very tired indeed, though not unable to fight. It is also visually impressive and physically intimidating, and any surviving enemies are likely to be momentarily stunned at the very least.

E: Charge the three steps to the mage, then cut him down with the Havoc Channel. Similar to the thread of mirrors, this allows your blade to be in multiple places at onces, to attack both the mage and his guards. As B, this will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques. You feel like you might have time for another stroke with yours sehai after this, but you're not sure where this instinct comes from.
Using this skill is mentally and physically taxing, and will leave you wearier, more tired.

F: Use the long-and-short-cut! Cut the space between you and the first step of the stair behind your enemies, and simply appear behind them. You might have time for another stroke of your sehai, but you doubt it. As B, this will have taken time to learn, time not spent learning other mystical techniques.
Using this skill is mentally and physically demanding, but less so than some of the other options presented.

G: Dodge into a cell you just cut open!

H: Something else! Write in!

I: The Pankratosword. Arc the bones that do not bend; cut the uncuttable, the atomos, with the almighty sword, and bring ruin to all your enemies in a great city-destroying, island-sinking, civilization-overturning conflagation of fire and fury which leaves nothing but ash and shadows burnt into the walls.
This technique is forbidden and forgotten, and you do not know it. If you did know it, you still could not perform it, for its use means death to all who see, from one horizon to the other, you included.

Magnusth fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jan 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

For the record: i know i'm throwing a lot of concepts and terms at the wall here and basicly asking you to figure them out by context. That doesn't mean i won't actually explain them, though, just that i couldn't fit those explanations well into the narrative or the description. Feel free to ask about, uh, basicly anything. From Alik'r, to sword-singing, names like Leki or Onsi, or even "what is Khajit?"

• Locked thread