Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/01/the-detailed-toys-and-rare-collectibles-that-keep-watch-over-our-home-offices/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

nerds bad

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

uh this owns????

poty
Jun 21, 2008

My "home office" reflects my interests and sensibilities. It has a strong Victorian flavor, with a strong touch of steampunk tinkerer. Most of the furnishings are hand-crafted (most by me) with model sailing ships, Bonsai trees, arts and crafts things (like drawing and sculpting tools) in their cases ready for work.

My computer is, sadly, perfectly modern. One of these days I may design a more suitably period case, and do something about the shiny plastic around my monitors (Maybe brass overlays?). My steampunk rifles are mounted on the wall and my steampunk outfit is hanging from an old-fashioned hat rack in the corner. Again, all of those are self-made.

No action figures, I'm afraid. Not many books, either (my bookshelves look more like an apothecary shop than a library, with quills, dip pens, ink wells, pencils, pads, easels, wood tool cases, leather scraps, punches, and lots and lots of little jars with alcohol, oils, dyes, etc.). The ambiance is wood paneling, and the lighting is generally soft and low.

Oddly, this is really the first time I've looked around and seen all of this in this context. None of this was consciously done. It just sort of happened over the years in an organic flow. It's not arranged, not really very organized (even if I know where most things are). I usually find my office space based on where I can put my 90 year old executive desk. (Oh, wait, it's 110 now, made in 1908. poo poo, time does fly.) The rest just sort of happened.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

arse technica has three types of articles:

1) bitcoin good
2) musk good
3) i loving love science
4) adverticals about some new car

and then very rarely an actual interesting one

the internet sucks now

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

arse technica has three types of articles:

1) bitcoin good
2) musk good
3) i loving love science
4) adverticals about some new car

and then very rarely an actual interesting one

the internet sucks now

they have a hard on for private spaceflight, but most of that is spacex so i guess that fits under 2)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I edited that and added another type of article so pretend I wrote 4 types. or not, you do you!!

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

you do you!!

Needs another edit, get yourself together man!

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

obligatory mention of Peter bright eating his own semen on wetabix

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

i'm a twenty page explanation of every new and existing feature of a mobile operating system

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

DuckConference posted:

obligatory mention of Peter bright eating his own semen on wetabix

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Boiled Water posted:

i'm a twenty page explanation of every new and existing feature of a mobile operating system

mospos

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

i would buy a book of siracusas macos x reviews

i actually wouldnt but i think theyre very cool

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

carry on then posted:

they have a hard on for private spaceflight, but most of that is spacex so i guess that fits under 2)

Eric Berger is an actual good journalist. Timothy B. Lee is back but not writing as interesting articles as he used to. their headline writers make a shitton of clickbait. Peter B is good at explaining. Their semiconductor articles in the past were complete trash, maybe they’re better now.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
conde nasty

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Hed posted:

Peter B is good at beating off in weetabix before eating them.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i read a neat advertical about some new mazda engine design

mazda needs to make a small awd hatchback already :argh:

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

poty posted:

My "home office" reflects my interests and sensibilities. It has a strong Victorian flavor, with a strong touch of steampunk tinkerer. Most of the furnishings are hand-crafted (most by me) with model sailing ships, Bonsai trees, arts and crafts things (like drawing and sculpting tools) in their cases ready for work.

My computer is, sadly, perfectly modern. One of these days I may design a more suitably period case, and do something about the shiny plastic around my monitors (Maybe brass overlays?). My steampunk rifles are mounted on the wall and my steampunk outfit is hanging from an old-fashioned hat rack in the corner. Again, all of those are self-made.

No action figures, I'm afraid. Not many books, either (my bookshelves look more like an apothecary shop than a library, with quills, dip pens, ink wells, pencils, pads, easels, wood tool cases, leather scraps, punches, and lots and lots of little jars with alcohol, oils, dyes, etc.). The ambiance is wood paneling, and the lighting is generally soft and low.

Oddly, this is really the first time I've looked around and seen all of this in this context. None of this was consciously done. It just sort of happened over the years in an organic flow. It's not arranged, not really very organized (even if I know where most things are). I usually find my office space based on where I can put my 90 year old executive desk. (Oh, wait, it's 110 now, made in 1908. poo poo, time does fly.) The rest just sort of happened.

Doctorow?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

this isn't the android megathread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

i want his job

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
What's a good science and tech blog?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk he always mentions his linux distro with any mention of his laptop so

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i want his job

you want to review telephones all day?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Endless Mike posted:

i think he also goes to apple events and rolls his eyes a lot while taking the pictures

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Endless Mike posted:

bing bing bing bing bing bing catastrophone

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Captain Foo posted:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
arse means butt haha

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Silver Alicorn posted:

arse means butt haha

yeah that's where all their press releases articles come from

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
weetabix

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
What happened to the guy who wrote this?

I wish they had a second edition, but they don't. :(

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Surprise Giraffe posted:

wired is ok

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

poty posted:

wired is ok

not really fam, at least not any more

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Captain Foo posted:

mailorder bees
Nov 4, 2011

FLUFFERNUTTER

Silver Alicorn posted:

arse means butt haha

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Surprise Giraffe posted:

no. academic journals, or blogs who post that level of material, on topics that interest you. general tech and sci journalism is vvvv bad

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

a long time ago i worked at a university, and they usually had the journal "Science" laying out as lobby reading material. a lot of it went a mile over my head but it was p. interesting stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeh. science and nature are the big gorillas -- though the papers are over the layperson's head (by intention), that's the Realest Science there is. read the abstracts and don't sweat the rest

scientific american is also pretty good if you're into a more pop-culture science thing (right now the headlining article on their site is why dogs eat poop). MIT technology review is decent but they've got a lot of fart-huffing stuff about disruption and innovation and business poo poo too.

there are no good mass-market "tech" publications. Popular Science is the closest you'd get to that and it's still full of articles about fighter jet laser guns and ads for sex pheromones. Popular Mechanics is worse. everything else is just lifestyle advertising glued together with college-intern-level copywriting

if you want to read about new developments in a specific field of tech, read the relevant journals or look at the conference proceedings. start with the ACM and IEEE digital libraries, for instance

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

how was byte, comparatively? i mean, aside from the columns that someone described as "jerry pournelle's computers don't work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

like, here. instead of looking at articles written by video gamers or graphics card companies talking about how lifelike the jiggle physics are in boob raider 2018, watch the siggraph paper demo reels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YvIHREdVX4

• Locked thread