Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

lmao

neural networks should stick to things they're competent at such as having nightmares and designing fusion reactors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
If we put the robots in control all the kinks will get worked out in a couple generations.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

ElMaligno posted:

The best self driving car is one that can hold multiple people, works 24/7, cam go on circuits and is kinda on rails.

Trains, im talking about trains.

I'd take it if it wasn't so goddamn slow. In San Diego the trolley system takes about 2x longer than driving. Once it took me a little over an hour to go somewhere that would've been a 20 minute drive. I exclusively use it now (or did before covid) for getting drunk downtown and not driving.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

If we put the robots in control all the kinks will get worked out in a couple generations.

what about the vanillas?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

McPhearson posted:

I'd take it if it wasn't so goddamn slow. In San Diego the trolley system takes about 2x longer than driving. Once it took me a little over an hour to go somewhere that would've been a 20 minute drive. I exclusively use it now (or did before covid) for getting drunk downtown and not driving.

It's funnily enough a tech that's gotten worse over the years in America, mostly because the US has 1) not maintained it let alone upgraded it and 2) bending over backwards to make things better for cars at the expense of everything else. Historians have told me that it used to be 4 hours by train from Chicago to Minneapolis, which is at least as good as flying in terms of time.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

dr sbaitso, nooooo

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Not on-topic but I'd just like to share what the first recommended article was on this page for me:

Seagull swoops down and eats man's tongue after woman bites it off in brawl

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

procedurally generated fetishes are my fetish

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Looks like my fetish is: <Integer Overflow>

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

hell yeah hypercanes let’s go

"Houston shrouded under a boiling hot hypercane for weeks" does have some pretty serious Sixth World energy to it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Crosspost from Cool Zone thread because lol

quote:

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Minneapolis authorities are investing in six social media influencers, with a large local following, to help push their message and prevent riots during the murder trial of a fired police officer. On Friday, the Minneapolis City Council approved $1,181,500 for communication with the community during the trial.

READ MORE:
Police: 15-Year-Old Carjacking Suspect Arrested In St. Paul
The City says the six influencers will be intentionally targeting Black, Native American, Somali, Hmong and Latinx communities with their messaging during the trial. Each influencer will be paid a flat fee of $2,000.

https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2021...-chauvin-trial/

Love to have Authentic Local Voices craft bespoke tweets on behalf of murderously violent governmental authorities.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The Oldest Man posted:

Love to have Authentic Local Voices craft bespoke tweets on behalf of murderously violent governmental authorities.

"$1,181,500 for communication with the community during the trial"? having unaccountable cops sounds awfully expensive! :monocle:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Delta-Wye posted:

"$1,181,500 for communication with the community during the trial"? having unaccountable cops sounds awfully expensive! :monocle:

The public is paying for it, not them, so who cares? Mayor's problem now.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Delta-Wye posted:

If the cops are totally unaccountable legally, civilian "authorities" can't control them, and any cost necessary to defend them and keep them paid under any circumstances will be incurred at public expense, then we don't "have unaccountable cops." That implies the public "we" is an actor with agency and it looks like that's no longer true and the cops are defacto a ruling authority if not one that has unilateral power.

Yet.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Oldest Man posted:

so the city is spending $1,181,500 on a media blitz, but they're paying 6 influencers $2k each? wonder what the rest of the money is going toward. going out of their way to announce what they're doing with just $12k of that money kinda smells like a distraction

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

so the city is spending $1,181,500 on a media blitz, but they're paying 6 influencers $2k each? wonder what the rest of the money is going toward. going out of their way to announce what they're doing with just $12k of that money kinda smells like a distraction

Cities are always spending money on propaganda; hiring it out to your Hmong cooking blogger to tell you Derek Chauvin did nothing wrong is new.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

like and subscribe, citizen

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

The Oldest Man posted:

this is why we won't get any more Black Mirror. they can't stay ahead of reality anymore

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

we're just gonna wind up with new weird sex poo poo

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That's something we can all get behind and or in front of

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHpJv3YDG0s

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fOHh5Q7Q1E

the comments are full of "my chatbot therapist brought me here" and I cannot believe this poo poo is actually getting used by zoomers. I guess it's like fish antibiotics

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

christmas boots posted:

Not on-topic but I'd just like to share what the first recommended article was on this page for me:

Seagull swoops down and eats man's tongue after woman bites it off in brawl

Seagulls are ruthless. I've seen them eat burgers off a grill

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Seagulls are ruthless. I've seen them eat burgers off a grill

I had a burger stolen out of my hand by a seagull as a child. Straight out of my loving hand, one bite taken from it, a whole rear end burger.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/wheredthesodago/status/1366198500120285184

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

I don't understand, do you put a smaller can of beans inside? What would be more valuable that you would reduce the available volume for bean storage?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

beans belong in the ground, where they make more beans

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Starving in the 2035 post apocalyptic wasteland I move from house to house searching for unlooted beans

I open the pantry in a suburban kitchen, desperate, feeling the last of my strength leaving my limbs

One can of hormel stands untouched in the midst of smashed jars and opened cans

I grasp for it and the keys to a lambo fall out the bottom, leaving me beanless

This is the way the world ends

orly
Oct 2, 2005

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

my vision is augmented (with beans)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

The year is 2069, world governments have collapsed, the law of kill or be killed is the only society people recognize

you find a can of hormel chili and eagerly open it in anticipation of staving off the hunger before roving marauders can get to it first or cut you open in hopes of salvaging its undigested leftovers

it is full of pre war scrip. Completely useless since only guns, gas, grilled iguana on a stick, and cryptocurrency are legal tender

you eat it anyway

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I think best case would be that some dank nuggs fall out of it

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lol some small dicked weirdo is gonna turn that into a secret fleshlight. 25* years later on a climate death survivor is going to find it in an abandoned basement apartment, lay down, and just give up at that point

*hey i'm trying to be optimistic about climate change

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
You fools! That's where you hide the keys to your rice cupboard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Splicer posted:

You fools! That's where you hide the keys to your rice cupboard.

Where do you hid the keys to the bean cupboard?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Iron Crowned posted:

Where do you hid the keys to the bean cupboard?
In a bag of flour

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol some small dicked weirdo is gonna turn that into a secret fleshlight. 25* years later on a climate death survivor is going to find it in an abandoned basement apartment, lay down, and just give up at that point

*hey i'm trying to be optimistic about climate change

protein is protein

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Ahh yeah the "corned beef hash" that's showing a can of chili in our fantastic online world where you have millions of product listings using fake product images and content copied from a similar listing. Errors compounded and spread across your entire 3000 product catalog. Walmart opening to 3rd party sellers to compete with Amazon? Sure just export all 3000 products and import them. So what if all the errors propagate over? We gotta hit the ground running. The bullet points are formatted weird? The product content and content images didn't come over? None of the additional backend data is filled in? The product titles and content isn't optimized for walmart searches and you literally can't find a product by searching it's title? Walmart's under performing compared to Amazon because the listings suck? You notice thousands of other companies did the exact same thing during the rush leaving Walmart's shopping experience a complete crapshoot for both buyers and sellers? It's okay because if the customer has a bad experience and didn't get what they were expecting we'll just refund and they can send it back. Thousands of trucks burning fuel shipping poo poo back and forth for dumb crap like this surely won't have any negative side effects. Everyone's moving on to Target before fixing thier poo poo?

Great.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

itskage posted:

Ahh yeah the "corned beef hash" that's showing a can of chili in our fantastic online world where you have millions of product listings using fake product images and content copied from a similar listing. Errors compounded and spread across your entire 3000 product catalog. Walmart opening to 3rd party sellers to compete with Amazon? Sure just export all 3000 products and import them. So what if all the errors propagate over? We gotta hit the ground running. The bullet points are formatted weird? The product content and content images didn't come over? None of the additional backend data is filled in? The product titles and content isn't optimized for walmart searches and you literally can't find a product by searching it's title? Walmart's under performing compared to Amazon because the listings suck? You notice thousands of other companies did the exact same thing during the rush leaving Walmart's shopping experience a complete crapshoot for both buyers and sellers? It's okay because if the customer has a bad experience and didn't get what they were expecting we'll just refund and they can send it back. Thousands of trucks burning fuel shipping poo poo back and forth for dumb crap like this surely won't have any negative side effects. Everyone's moving on to Target before fixing thier poo poo?

Great.

Sounds like someone needs to do the Walmart Cheer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1366394023234174978