Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Haven't used Pandora since like 2008, but

I had my demos set up honestly, 20 year old man, and the ads I got were upcoming tours and albums for bands that were on the playlist (mostly metal). So, genuinely helpful.

I got bored and switched the setting a 16 year old girl. Same music, but ads were almost 100% wedding stuff.

Got bored again and set it to 100 year old woman, same music, all ads for SUVs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

withak posted:

That is exactly why those magnets comes with a million warning labels.

Also an astrophysicist thinking that he can derive a medical device from first principals is peak astrophysicist.

Honestly if I had a bunch of neodymium magnets sitting around I'd be constantly trying to come up with dumb poo poo to do with them and probably go to the hospital for it at least a few times.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

im the implication that the underlying notions can be accurately quantified, measured, and graphed like they’re stonks

im also the representation of the only nation ever to use nuclear weapons as having the most conservative doctrine for their use

I'm the USAF playing coy about the existence of the Israeli nuclear program.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Who's up for submitting false reviews of cops etc?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

LastInLine posted:

i don't know how many have seen the Better Off Ted episode "Racial Sensitivity" where Veridian Dynamics replaces all their switches with ones that can't see black people, but the company I work for has always had switches like these in our bathrooms. I got done peeing about six weeks ago and there's a black guy moving from sink to sink trying to get water to wash his hands so I leaned over and activated the sensor for him (it's a wall mounted sensor, not under the faucet).

Dude was like "God drat even the faucets are racist?" and I was just like "Man, this is America, it's all racist" and stood there for a while so he could finish up.

Edit: If you have a chance during the lockdown you should really try to watch BoT if you haven't seen it, it's a great show, but it's hard to top "Racial Sensitivity" for the best ep. Maybe "Lust in Translation" comes close.

It's a pretty cyberpunk show over all. I don't remember episode names but the one about chairs that give people nervous breakdowns was great.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lemniscate Blue posted:

And one quarter horse.

That's what they mean by "Arabian"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Smithfield is, unsurprisingly, exceptionally bad to its workers

No Shortcuts chapter 5, by Jane McAlvey posted:

Pellas, the only woman who was allowed into the National Labor Relations vote count in 1997, described in horrific detail the scene during that second election, conducted over three days:

quote:

It was a defeat in many ways, not just the numbers, we were being chased down the stairs by goons, the NLRB agents were hiding under the voting tables, the company was having people arrested outside as they tried to come in and vote, Smithfield had hired and deputized their own police force dressed in riot gear and stationed them all around the plant for the election, forcing workers to do something like walk the plank if they attempted to vote in the election.

More than 100 labor law violations were filed by the union against the company resulting from the 1997 “election.” Pellas described it as something beyond a loss—more a beat-down of epic proportions; the kind of drubbing intended to drive what professional union busters call futility, along with fear, into the hearts and minds of workers, so they’d never again think about forming a union.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

To be fair, this describes most of the AAA video game industry.

I mean yes, but they are considered exceptionally bad even inside that group.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Taeke posted:

Lol you don't even have to call out a hit on someone you want to assassinate, just have the police do it for you

Single Payer, but hitmen instead of healthcare.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Blockade posted:

This trend of politicians and media giving agency to software as a way to transfer risk of being called a racist sure is something.

*Writes down on sheet of paper: Arrest more black people*

"Come on guys the paper said it not me"

This is 100% how welfare approval/denial works now

"Sorry, you're just not eligible for benefits. Computer said so, I don't know why"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Serf posted:

making air travel so much of a hassle that it can no longer be done would be pretty great

Did you notice the part where the guy going to Brunei got to skip the whole thing?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Every week, planes drop 14.7 million sterilized screwworms over the rainforest that divides [Panama and Colombia]

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm dumb how does dropping sterilized ones help? The other ones waste time mating with them?

Not just time - screwworm females can only mate once, so they produce 0 fertile offspring from 400ish eggs if they mate with a sterile male.

efb

Tulip has issued a correction as of 02:33 on May 30, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The Bloop posted:

This poo poo is dumb

We can do two things at once

I mean, we aren't, but not launching a rocket doesn't end racism or ICE or literally any other problem

That's very obviously not the point of that tweet and I don't know how you were so far off mark.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexcollyard/status/1267265346014191616

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

"To reform education, we must defeat teacher's unions so that we can institute merit pay and pay teacher's more!"

*hires a bunch of nonunion teachers at way under the union rate*

"My work here is done."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

chairface posted:

He knows the rioters won't bother him. The Deliverers are sacred, have been since the plague started. Food delivery, grocery delivery, even old school players like parcel delivery companies and the post office; all had been drafted to bring America its hamburgers, electronics, toys, gadgets and groceries. All had served and were regarded universally as heroes, sacred. But most important of all, everything the protected and idolized Deliverers carried was ordered and paid for via the Metaverse.

Hideo Kojima being right again.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

GWBBQ posted:

This is the essence of everything Elon Musk does. Also, I want windshield wipers that sync with the beat of the music you're listening to.

Don't propose good ideas.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

I’m going to start a place that’s like one of those axe‐throwing ranges or an escape room, but it’s just kicking the poo poo out of doors.

Very cathartic.

Sounds fun as gently caress.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

The angriest I’ve ever made a person on this forum is when I coöpted The New Yorker’s practice of using diæreses to denote distinct vowels.

Listen

They were right.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Yeah, he gave a speech that can be summed up as "don't riot, vote." I Lost a lot of respect for him when he did that.

Voter Mike

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Uber effectively loses money as it expands so pulling out of Denmark was probably one of its rare sound financial decisions.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://autoblow.com/automoblow/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

bike tory posted:

What in the actual gently caress are they thinking

"Hey I just watched this movie the other night, 'Brazil,' about how good it is to have algorithms run everything."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Are they suggesting that I punch my tablet to bits? And that the only thing that's stopped me is that my hands are too soft? If that's so: sure I'm in.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Platystemon posted:

Fifteen kilometres?

The surgeon could loving walk there.

We're almost 20 years past doing telesurgery at 6000km.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Nothus posted:

The future is like gattaca, but stupider.

The main political faultline of the future will be between "strict eugenicists" and "eugenicists, with some feudal privileges for the already powerful."

uber_stoat posted:

twitter didn't know how to stop the hack so they're stopping every verified account from tweeting. literally no blue check tweets to be seen at the moment.

hearing speculation that someone has figured out how to access the NSA's back door and that's what they are using. imagine using that kind of knowledge to steal some bitcoin. :hmbol:

The only hacking left in the world is stealing bitcoins. It is an extremely lame cyberpunk dystopia.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://thehardtimes.net/blog/strapped-gopro-bee-see-bees-dying-boy-find-quick/

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

redleader posted:

these have 100% already been designed and used by intelligence agencies

Adding extra listening devices to a society where everybody communicates using apps that are basically mainlining their records straight to intelligence services is really kind of just adding superfluous expenses.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Frog Act posted:

somehow, tbh, i don't think this is an honest or accurate representation of musk or any tech company's long-term vision

I think the part where every actual operation is "?" adds up.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

on the contrary, the vision described in the link is extremely utopian. i mean, theoretically it would be amazing if everyone in the world could do a psychic mind meld with one another, we could trust one another and communicate ideas so much better, etc. the dystopian part of course is how it would play out in a reality when nobody will ever log off of The Internet of Brains

The dystopian aspect, to me at least, is that this is being developed of by and for the most powerful, so instead of an egalitarian instrumentality where each person has an equal say, your power inside the system will be proportional to either your perceived or desired power as evaluated by capitalists.

Really I think Elon wants people to stop making fun of him and instead of "shutting up" he's going for "neurochemically enforce loving Elon."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Breetai posted:

It's a moot point because this is laughably advanced science fiction technology that is nowhere near being implemented in our lifetimes and despite the protestation of tech nerds who can't wait for the singularity to make being obscenely rich and terminally white even better than it is now, ol' Musky stands about as much chance of innovating a working model to those lofty specifications as I do.

Don't beat yourself up, I'm sure you'd do a better job.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

mysterious frankie posted:

Musk doesn’t seem so much smart or clever as he is rich from birth, enthusiastic, and lacking any tendency to reflect on the moral implications of following through on trains of thought. Like, he went “Rampant unchecked capitalism is destroying the environment and causing humanity to slowly boil in its own worry-sweat; there’s gotta be a company I could buy to make a buck in that racket! People will pay attention to me too! It’ll be fun!”

Narcissism, luck, money and an adventurous spirit are a terrifying mix.

You make him sound like the kind of guy who destroys planets in the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

HiroProtagonist posted:

Jesus loving Christ :stonk:

lmao

I did recruiting for about two years, and the open ended questions were incredibly useful because some people couldn't answer "So why did you leave this position" without getting extremely racist or misogynistic. It is extremely funny that they're trying to predict job hopping and not "will be awful to work with."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Subjunctive posted:

wonder if I could get a paper published that correlated job hopping to the market-percentile of salary for the position

Hell, I'd be interested in working on that. I'm pretty sure I've seen the vast majority of that data on BLS.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I remember hearing other people in recruiting say that they tried to avoid hiring people who held positions for less than a year on average and I'd just say "wait, the position you're trying to fill is three months maximum."

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Rutibex posted:

they want people who are capable of lying to get ahead. if you can't even lie on your resume for some lovely 3 month job then you are not Misery Corp material

lol it's literally the first thing I tell anybody who asks me for job hunting advice: lie. Your default should be to lie. The only things to not lie about are things that you'd get called out on easily - don't lie about like, scheduling or verifiable certifications. But otherwise, don't respect people whose whole job is to underpay you.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hodgepodge posted:

the most important thing about job hunting is realizing that your friend who offers to pretend to be a former employer so you can add him to your resume knows exactly how it's done

"sorry to bother you" tells 0 lies

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splicer posted:

You've misunderstood the doomer mindset. It's not just "Nothing will ever change, we're hosed", it's also "Nothing changes until things get super hosed". Serfs are no longer bound to their duke's land because the black plague annihilated europe, there weren't enough serfs to go round, and suddenly it was a serf's market*. "The oceans can't boil away fast enough" is both "Hooray we're all going to die" and "Maybe those left will actually get their poo poo together".

*(Then the gentry got mad at the serfs for not being miserable 24/7 and invented "wages")

The black plague didn't lead directly to rising wages, and in fact England had a law on the books locking wages to pre-plague that was enforced for several decades (including with loving branding!). Rising wages, at least in England, resulted from the 1381 Peasant's Revolt, solidly 30 years after the Black Death hit England. Change wasn't because a bunch of peasants died, but because those peasants dragged officials and lawyers out of their towers and killed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Ex Urbe's good.

The 50% drop in life expectancy over 200 years is so goddamn brutal.