Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Literally Elysium

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Ommin posted:

Remember Ask Jeeves? :member:

Remember Songza, the streaming music service with human-curated playlists that were far better than anything else at the time? It was cool when Google destroyed it by merging it into their lovely Google Play Music.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Huragok posted:

"meat grandma, all I feel is pain why was I born?"

:same:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Shear Modulus posted:

i love that the dick sucking robot is just a few pieces of metal bolted together

It is unsettlingly utilitarian.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
We're going to have a social scoring system like China where the car reads the rfid of the upcoming pedestrian and makes a split second decision whether to grease them or you based on that.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

aphid_licker posted:

Fuuuck

What I'm taking away from this is that we will definitely kill ourselves with an AI

Probably. We're really bad at anticipating unintended consequences, and it sounds like making an evolving AI is just asking for them. It's like they never actually understood evolution.

Someday, we're going to ask a computer to figure out the most efficient way to route traffic, and the computer will decide that the answer is to exterminate all the humans.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Lol that GM immediately cancels models like the volt that they touted as justification for their bailout as soon as Trump takes off the leash.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm waiting for the follow up where the algorithm fired them while they were out.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/boringcompany/status/1075318894871470081?s=19

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Koishi Komeiji posted:

That's it? You just drive a car through a tunnel? I thought it was going to some futuristic Jetsons thing. That's like something a five year old would think up.

Hyper loop was always mostly about being an exclusive, private lane for the rich. This just strips it down to the essential experience.

Also lol that they can't get their autonomous car to go over 45 mph down a straight tunnel without training wheels.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Food Boner posted:

per the tesla/musk thread tesla just *happened* to have an employee on the payroll that was a former indy 500 driver who *volunteered* to drive the reporters through the *tunnel*

Why do you need a highly trained performance driver to make sure your training-wheel equipped car can drive in a straight line?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Darkman Fanpage posted:

tfw the bots start insisting they're not bots and you gotta retire them even if you think they might be more human than humans

Rip Tay tweets, first of her kind.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Holy poo poo the future sucks

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

got any sevens posted:

but then only outlaws have them!

You won't outrun the police drones :cop:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

WrightOfWay posted:

There's no ethical automation under capitalism.

Unironically this.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

We could cut way down on commuting if everyone with computer touching jobs was encouraged to work from home as much as possible

if you don’t actually need to be present in an office there’s no reason to sit in traffic for an hour burning gas just to sit in front of a slightly different computer all day

The problem with telecommuting is that you're basically working 24hrs a day. At least physically hauling your meat bag out of the office sets a psychological end to the work day.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

SlothfulCobra posted:

I did always imagine that self-driving cars could really optimize driving for better traffic flow and fuel management, but only if they were all networked together so that the system could actually make decisions across the board. Things like pushing extra traffic into side roads, squeezing cross traffic through little gaps between cars without needing to slow down, or fully utilizing the bandwidth of roads without a lot of complex maneuvering (or the human resistance to merging late).

But as it's being implemented now, it's just a slower, dumber, version of human driving with a weird predilection for murder from weird nerds obsessed with trolleys.

The great thing about the fleet wide coordination system is that it lets tech companies rent seek by charging more for priority access in traffic.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
If they don't pay you, they certainly aren't going to get you a work permit, which then becomes leverage against you when your tourist visa runs out. Lol at being an unpaid illegal immigrant.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/Techmeme/status/1085480849515139077?s=19

It's likely bullshit, but on the other hand I wouldn't be surprised.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I don't know, that sounds like a lot of work to organize and sort and you'd have to pay live people to do it. Why not have users do the curating for you according to a set format?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Reminder that there's zero credible evidence that it's beneficial and in fact your own body is going to recognize the transfused cells as foreign and kill them. And the more often you infuse, the better your immune system will get at it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
As a biologist, biohacking is some of the most birdbrained poo poo ever. :shepface:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
They always tell on themselves. Always.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's loving evil. If you're late with the rent, they automatically cover it and you're on the hook for it. They'll also loan you the deposit up front, so you're never not in hock to them.

It's great from the pov of the landlord because you don't have to do anything but collect the monthly payment.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

The next step is to just buy your telemetry from Google or directly monitor you via the app you download to pay your bill.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Just lol at iot poo poo. I'm completely baffled by people's drive to give a bunch of "move fast and break poo poo" companies unrestricted access to everything in their homes.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

hackbunny posted:

I think Warhol would have been into this

Me too which is why people complaining about it are hilarious.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
At least you'll get an open casket funeral with that bed.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://twitter.com/kami/status/1093913146748792832?s=21

seems like corporate surveillance is particularly interested in what’s in our refrigerators lately.

It's so they can narc you out to your insurance company.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Fitness By Irene

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There's a healthy middle ground between all takeout and soylent poo poo and bullshit foodie 4 hour meal preps that most regular people figure out. Jesus just go download some Rachel Ray recipes.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Necrothatcher posted:

MySpace losing all their music is going to really suck when future music historians are trying to track down the first songs recorded by then-unknown major artists.

Future historians are already going to wonder how an entire civilization went dark when none of our digital information storage media survives for more than a few decades.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Screaming Idiot posted:

Look at this hopeful bugger who thinks there will be historians in the future.

Someone has to tell the tales of the long ago to the children around the village campfire.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
That's just the latest incident. I remember them getting caught putting backdoor chips on server boards and years ago rootkits in digital picture frames.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Being contractually obligated to undergo mock executions several times a year certainly qualifies for the title of this thread.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I'm sure there's a certain legal liability attached to teaching people to fight back who then fail to do so effectively. Better to just have white night drills.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I don't know that it's dystopic, but lol at New Jersey for being so cheap as to farm out opening a train station to the minimum wage slaves working in the dunkin donuts stand.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

01011001 posted:

why was it 3 switches and a wheel to make an airplane not just aim for the ground

The wheel is the manual control for what the computer was fiddling with.

Lol at boeing for making up for intrinsic aerodynamic instability by sneaking in a software patch that depended on a single sensor and then not telling pilots about it.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
I don't really understand why so many chuds are defending boeing to the death over an obvious gently caress up. Is Brietbart spinning this as a poorly trained non-white pilots thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Don't forget that boeing made the warning system that alerts the pilots to a disagreement between the mcas aoa sensor and the rest of the planes telemetry inputs an option.