Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

exmachina posted:

It is quality escapism and raises interesting social questions and is scientifically sound, the only thing that we don't have (except for the One Big Lie) today is really efficient engines so we can travel directly to a place instead of using curves to conserve delta v.

This kinda poo poo is all that gets me through this poo poo life so I don't care who's vanity project it is.

The show still shows elliptical orbits. The engine meant that going into space outside of vanity projects like colonizing Mars was now feasible, because now you don't have to dedicate most of your ship to fuel, and you can do stuff like harvest ice asteroids.

As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to The Expanse: Space Combat: The Game is Children of a Dead Earth. If you're interested in plotting missile intercepts in retrograde orbits, do check it out.

Volmarias has issued a correction as of 17:05 on Dec 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

The ship aesthetic in Children of a Dead Earth is really cool, the creator wrote some blog entries on how they ended up looking like that. He wrote the physics first and then figured out what you could actually build if you had nuclear fission rockets like the ones NASA put a bit of research into in like the 70s. Not psychotic Project Orion nuclear pulse poo poo, just using a reactor to heat up reaction mass and spit it out the back.

The gist is that there wasn't very much weight to spare for armor so the ships had to be convex to reduce surface area. The armour itself is mostly a thin layer of aluminum or carbon, and there isn't any mass to spare on covering it with paint except for faction markings. The ships had to be long to allow for adequate radiation shielding between the reactor and crew compartment, especially since the mass that could be spared for shielding was at a premium. The ships were slender to reduce the cross-section presented to an enemy during head-on or broadside approaches. Over 50% of the mass and most of the internal volume is reaction mass since you need a lot of it to get anywhere.

Also IMO the coolest thing are the glowing red-hot radiators. The reactor generates a bunch of waste heat and the only place for it to go is to radiate it into space, and the radiators connected to the reactors get really hot.

There's so much heat generated that there's no hiding in space and the only way to throw off heat seeking missiles is to dump flares that emit even more heat than your ship

Some people on this forum have redesigned the stock ships to optimize them further and they ended up looking like rocketships from Buck Rogers except with glowing radiators where the rocket fins should be which I think is a great look

Those of you who lust for more hard sci-fi concepts may find this site to be an extremely pro click. Ignore the fact that it looks like it was made for Geocities in 2000, and use the index all the way at the very bottom for navigation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

VictualSquid posted:

I remember reading a lot of this site 5ish years ago. Unless I am mistaken they changed their site layout drastically since then. Which means the author considers the current layout to be modern.

Yeah, I kept looking for what I think may have been the original thing condensed into one page.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Itym

christmas boots posted:

no skul gun tho

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Spime Wrangler posted:

they’re only scary because cop robots will have the same legal status as cop dogs by the end of the Biden admin and you’ll get five to ten for throwing that dumb dog in a lake when it won’t stop following you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFvqDaFpXeM

Stop recording, citizen, you have ten seconds to comply.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Farm Frenzy posted:

oh no this thing might awkwardly limp at me

Ever since I saw this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2tpwW0kmU

I find the Boston Dynamics robots both interesting yet horrifying, since this is pretty much the future we're headed towards.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

more falafel please posted:

all repetitive, relatively simple work that can be automated should be done by robots, provided that the people whose jobs they replace never have to work again and can enjoy a life of comfortable leisure while humankind's accomplishments perform their work for them

You're right. This is what should happen.

It won't, though.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Fame Douglas posted:

I think this episode pretty much shows how much security theater vs. actual security there is.

Also the level of threat they're expecting to deal with (small group of gunmen) vs what just happened (300-500 feral hogs) and their willingness to escalate.

Also the fact that they don't want to start a fight with the guy they need to go on patrol with later.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

So that’s why I’m getting five recommendations a day to follow wahhabi preachers. I’m not even Muslim

That's just a coincidence, it's the muezzin that the Antifa super soldiers made all of the cities install while they implement shariah law.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re in charge of satellites

It's this, they're just taking the SPAWAR parts of the services and sticking them there

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

doingitwrong posted:

I cannot stop thinking the phrase “cyber god Kristallnacht”

https://twitter.com/SteveKingIA/status/1348407893767417856

Cyber to wizard extension coming in key here

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

more falafel please posted:

yes, he's currently in custody and isn't eating anything because he refuses to eat non-organic food.

Apparently a judge ruled that he be given organic food after all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Flavahbeast posted:

the Spec Ops franchise warned us about this

:thurman:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Platystemon posted:

https://twitter.com/manyapan/status/1225425296838529024

The Christmas tree came to us first as a tragedy, then as a farce.

I don't understand why this is in the lovely dystopia thread when someone just got the perfect excuse to walk around in an inflatable costume

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Tempora Mutantur posted:

(mid 2010s as he did more collabs, features some lyricists) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7-0ULhk4w0

Found out about them from this song which was part of the Watch Dogs 2 soundtrack.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

can't wait for the irl "o'brien goes to time prison" ds9 episode, but for detention

We've seen that black mirror like 4 times now, we should get a new thing

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Actually this is pretty cool.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

withak posted:

Not sure that teaching robots to hunger for our blood is really a wise choice.

When you learn about da Vinci robots and such your sphincter is gonna turn into a pinprick, about the size of the incision this robot needs to take internal organs.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

hobbesmaster posted:

those are directly controlled by a surgeon

For now.

Rutibex posted:

just feed some deep learning neural net all of the data stream from a bunch of surgeries and bang boom you got an autodoc

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

fondue posted:

They need to remake Disney's, "The Black Hole,"

I don't care how it happens, I just want a remake, preferably one that isn't done by J. J. Abrams.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Splicer posted:

It won't do this unless the source also includes a bunch of posts saying things like "AHHH I DIED PLEASE DON'T TURN ME OFF OH GOD NO I DONT WANT TO BE DEAD AGAIN"

If you're not doing this already, why are you even here

The Oldest Man posted:

My apartment building just installed snitchcams in the entire complex that will shout at you and then call the cops

Guarantee it's because it's cheaper than hiring a doorman.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Yes, I'm the market guru who sells my incredible techniques for getting incredibly rich for only $49.95, instead of directly using them to get incredibly rich myself.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

nope

they're just insulated plywood boxes. they're not even heated

the solar panels are used to power sensors that detect when it's occupied, a radio that's used to summon social workers in the morning to come investigate the occupant, and a time lock that renders them off-limits during the day after the social worker has lured the occupant out

Mousetraps for the homeless, incredible.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

lollontee posted:

doesnt colonial reliance on resupply, especially in space where you cant just "go native", increase the power of the colonial overlord? if the colony relies on supplies for basic survival, threatening the proles with blockade is the same as threatening them with execution

Welcome to the backstory for half of the "gritty" hard science stories, such as The Expanse.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

That is a good point- is the colony self sustaining, and are there multiple factions on earth interested in wanting some combination or credit for and control of the colony?

Either way, crises and small groups both tend to make hierarchies unstable and unproductive so I don’t see billionaires trying to do space Feudalism working very well for them after a few years.

There's no traditional reason for someone to want to set up a colony on Mars. It's ruinously expensive to reach and operate, extremely unforgiving as an environment, has a gravity well that prevents ready distribution of any financially important resources, assuming they exist in profitable amounts, and if you're just trying to get away from the eyes of society or the law there's already more than enough places on earth for that. The only real reasons to go to Mars, as it is now, is for billionaires to have an ultimate flex on each other, or for reasons that are only going to be important to government entities (scientific research that isn't immediately applicable or profitable, distributing members of the human race outside of earth for redundancy, etc.)

Musk wants to go to Mars so that he can be known as the person who brought humanity to Mars. There's no room for self important bureaucrats on the mission, except for Musk himself, and there's no way he's going when he still has to drink his own piss.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

That might be the plan but he would be too busy insisting that his brain app can make farts and Monty Python jokes that they'll never actually get around to sending it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Farm Frenzy posted:

dataset trains the drone to kill 100% of its targets and allows an additional 20% unidentified/collateral deaths so it starts doing strikes only when its sure that itll kill extra people

Dataset of people killed by drone strikes is used for training, causing drones to bomb random brown people. Air Force pats itself on the back for a job well done because they were probably guilty of something or other.

Robots that take people out of the decision loop altogether are terrifying.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JesusIsTehCool posted:

No lol. They did do some decent interviews with the people living out there and a Street Watch LA member.

If anyone ever wants to hear about the poo poo I encounter doing outreach with unhoused people in LA I would be happy to share. They are more just dystopia than cyberpunk and normally just depressing as gently caress.

:justpost:

Please also share your suggestions for what can actually be done about the hoovervilles.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

JesusIsTehCool posted:

Like the whole system is so hosed you can't just fix a piece of it. I joined Street Watch because they at least are fighting for things i believe in, universal housing, decimalization of poverty, and police/prison abolition. But I am not kidding myself, i expect everything to fall apart, the government to collapse, and lots of violence.

Thank you for all least trying, without people like you people would have no hope at all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Private Cumshoe posted:

enduring a lot of lovely SA posts for 19 years is some Christlike endurance for pain and suffering

:hmmyes:

I know you're not telling us this for accolades, I think we just want you to know that people here recognize what an awesome and admirable thing this is that you're doing, myself included.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Pretty much. The details make it sound like it was someone playing vnc roulette and then bailing when they realized someone was watching, rather than a "hacker"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Does wanting whatever pillow I pick out of a bin at BB&B or similar make me a centrist?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Or maybe just the remote access????

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Oh look, another agendaless meeting, gonna be fully engaged on that one

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

I can't wait until the autonomous killbots are classifying an entire school full of dead kids as "zero civilian casualties" because the ML was trained on white people and literally can't recognize black kids as human.

Nah, any bodies are enemy combatants, same as it always is.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Honestly, for what it was meant to be, AA was extremely well done for its time and innovative in a few ways as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Thread: "We live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia"

Content:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Bloop posted:

We regret to inform you that the girl bot is racist

Every loving time, can we just get one robot that isn't secretly horribly problematic one way or another??????

JUST ONE!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Autobots Ackbar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

God Hole posted:

i live in a gated apartment complex (they're all gated in phoenix to keep the poors out)

recently our complex has experienced a couple of burglaries, so management used that as an excuse to WELD SHUT all the pedestrian access points along the entire perimeter of the complex, leaving only the parking lot gate untouched (the one designed to accommodate cars)

the problem with this is that the only way the parking lot gate opens is by sensor, which only triggers for car-sized objects (there is no button or manual override). i don't own a car. so i quite literally cannot leave my apartment complex of my own accord.

time to bike to work? i'm doing circles in the parking lot like an idiot waiting for a real person in a car to leave. wanna take my dog for a walk? gotta bake on the asphalt with my dog and wait for a real person to leave.

phoenix is a horrific example of suburban sprawl, designed entirely around the personal automobile. i'm observing myself being erased in real-time.

Somewhere in arizona, a fire marshal's mustache is standing on end and he's not sure why.

Definitely contact the local fire department and figure this out, this is dangerous and the owner will only learn via the medium of paying money and being publicly embarrassed.