Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SardonicTyrant posted:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD BANK

Actually it's just the bank now. They merged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
NPR need to go to the guillotines ahead of Fox. First, in order to confuse the hell out of both groups. second, because they are probably more harmful.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

galenanorth posted:

I had been thinking about supporting kidney sales to the federal government only by people in the top 20% of income or wealth, so they're doing it for severe greed and not need, but that'd probably open up the door toward Republicans repealing restrictions altogether by removing the stigma of bringing it up

that sets a floor on the price of a kidney. You have to pay the donor enough to put them into the top 20%, probably in the year preceding the donation. gonna be a lotta kidney transplants in.january.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nothus posted:

https://twitter.com/nithyavraman/status/1204161058492956673?s=19
Soon, concentration camps won't just be for refugee kids.

We'll call them "sanctuary districts."

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

That's like Soviet advertising

edit: Do punctures count as failures? Because I got food poisoning less than 40 years ago from a can that turned out to be punctured. Check your cans.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Modifying them for range, accuracy, and appearance.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I remember playing softball on codeine in middle school. I threw the bat every time I took a swing, and was asked to sit it out.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's what killed famed astronomer (and slaver) Tycho Brahe!

First I've heard of this. Source?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Bulgakov posted:

lol never had the chance to syrup but sounds ok

I think you're thinking DXM. Never done enough of it to get a high, myself, though a friend did overdose on it on a road trip, while we had a hitchhiker. (She had a 1 liter bottle of it.) He got to go to the emergency room with us.

I was on Tylenol-3 for a sprained ankle.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
BRB, gonna go to watch videos on how to make a quadcopter drop incendiary devices.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Do you know how much psychometric research goes into making bread and butter?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
biotechnology ain't what's so bad
like all technology it's in the wrong hands

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

redleader posted:

but what if a smartphone had a gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOaDA4xonTg&app=desktop

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
This gas station chat reminded me of a kind of :3: :( story from when I was student teaching.

An exercise in one of the RTI groups was for the kids to tell a happy story about their family. One little boy (maybe 7 or 8 years old), his happy story was that his dad took him to Maverick that weekend. That's it.

Maverick is a pretty standard gas station/convenience store, about on the level of Circle K or 7 Eleven. I really doubt the destination was why this little boy was so pumped; it was that he got to go somewhere with his dad at all.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I dunno, kids are easily excited by mundane novelties.

I guess teaching SpEd in high-poverty schools I got used to assuming the worst possibility that came to mind. And that was usually not as bad as the reality.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

God Hole posted:

im starting to think this baudrillard fellow might have had some good points

Extremely.

Look at our ideas of what it means to be "presidential"

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

actionjackson posted:

lol

Okay I'll post something non-phone related. My dad got me a 23 and me ancestry kit (I thought it said "salvia" collection kit at first) and I had to tell him that while I appreciate the thought, there was no way I was giving me goddamn entire genetic code to a tech company.

Maybe he's trying to tell you something.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Larry Parrish posted:

rumor mill says someone at corporate straight up decided the best way to train an automatic quality check camera would be to give people rewards points for doing it. of course this begs the question of why is the guy slicing the drat pizza not good enough. generally the shift or store manager is the guy sitting there.

An automatic quality check camera doesn't have the option of not giving a gently caress.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

if there isn't already a law against illuminated billboards bolted onto vehicles there really ought to be

In some states it's illegal to have red or blue lights (or in some cases, any color other than white or amber; not including brake lights) on your vehicle outside of specific circumstances. So it probably is illegal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Makes me think of the Diamond Age (which is set in and near Shanghai).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
They made up that they made it up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pirate Radar posted:

we live in the barfiest possible cyberpunk dystopia

some of us prefer to spec into charisma

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
IDGI. Is that one of those guards to keep people's spit and whatnot from flying into the food or open wounds or whatever they're working on?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GWBBQ posted:

700,000+ Visa transactions or 55,280 hours of watching YouTube.

That's one Bitcoin transaction not even mining a whole BTC

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Nothus posted:

You're assuming that effectiveness matters. It doesn't.

I had a guaranteed military sale with ED 209!
Renovation program! Spare parts for 25 years! Who cares if it worked or not?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Companies can invest in human capital by maintaining minimum air volumes per worker in enclosed spaces and optimizing calorie availability to their work forces.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
one thing I like about Alaska: billboards are illegal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

They are basically non existent in a lot.of.europe and its really really really noticeable

In Alaska the law is something to the effect of: you are allowed to advertise your business with a sign, with a limit on sign height (it's pretty high, though), but the sign must be on the same lot as the business.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Mantis42 posted:

eh most advertising throughout history was just some rear end in a top hat with a sign or a really loud voice interrupting your day. Commercials being a tradeoff for free entertainment is a much newer idea.

yes but now there is no one right there you can punch

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Posted this in the pretty good advertising sucks thread, which definitely needs to continue. seemed appropriate here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955716

He was, he knew, an anankastic, a person for whom reality had shrunk to the dimension of compulsion; everything he did was forced on him—there was for him nothing voluntary, spontaneous or free. And, to make matters worse, he had tangled with a Nitz commercial. In fact, he still had the commercial with him; he carried it about with him in his pocket.
Getting it out now, Kongrosian started the Theodorus Nitz commercial up, listening once more to its evil message. The commercial squeaked, “At any moment one may offend others, any hour of the day!” And in his mind appeared the full-color image of a scene unfolding: a good-looking black-haired man leaning toward a blond, full-breasted girl in a bathing suit in order to kiss her. On the girl’s face the expression of rapture and submission all at once vanished, was replaced by repugnance. And the commercial shrilled, “He was not fully safe from offensive body odor! You see?”
That’s me, Kongrosian said to himself; I smell bad. He had, due to the commercial, acquired a phobic body odor; he had been contaminated through the commercial, and there was no way to rid himself of the odor: he had for weeks now tried a thousand rituals of rinsing and washing, to no avail.

Phillip K Dick, 'The Simulacra'

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pobrecito posted:

that opinion will never stop pissing me off. like the loving gall of ruling that asking for a "lawyer, dawg" meant they were asking for a "lawyer dog" is so loving over the top ridiculous everyone involved should have been immediately disbarred.

Disbarred by whom, the other racists on the bar?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

BIG HORNY COW posted:

Anchorage is objectively one of the ugliest cities in America because the whole place was built up basically overnight in one of the grossest times for design and architecture, the 1970s. Every time I have to go there I think: what a wasted opportunity for a cool, modern, urban area.

I grew up in Alaska, so wood paneling feels like home.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Volmarias posted:

I just assume they'd consider it bonus leverage for back payments.

They're run by a crypto bro. They would find other uses for the child.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Beorn?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
hey anyone read The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect?

If you do skip the epilogue agter the deeply unsatisfying ending.

Anyway it is a 'maybe the three laws are a bad idea especially if they work' story

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 07:04 on Mar 20, 2021

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
also on that site:

https://www.ibtimes.sg/shocking-mexican-man-who-lost-his-wife-spa-shooting-was-handcuffed-like-suspect-56340

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

uber_stoat posted:

hopefully she's passing info on to her friends or relatives so they can make plans to rob these hippy shitheads.

Hopefully she's smart enough to realize that most of their assets are online and that she needs to be on the lookout for passwords.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Farm Frenzy posted:

every single dude throwing huge amounts of money at nfts right now is trying to defraud other nft dudes

Who ever thought that Beanie Babies would be so quickly eclipsed as the dumbest asset bubble in history?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
'career in logistics'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

I feel like a Lovecraft protagonist.