Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Walmart-Humana

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blockade posted:

Using a few LEDs, a hat, and a and a bit of computer savvy you can train up an adversarial model that makes you appear as whoever you want to be.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1803.04683.pdf

Sadly as the paper points out, you have to have an exact copy of the facial recognition model as used by the surveilling facial recognition system, including the exact same training data

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Blockade posted:

Believe it or not its not too difficult to do this, many facial recognition systems only use one of a handful of commercially available models, and even if they have something custom you can train against it as long as you can get a pass/fail response in some way.

That's certainly true for most of the commercial off the shelf stuff, but since you need the exact same training set, most of the actual interesting targets will either have training data you don't have access to or use a proprietary algorithm.

Take for example, Rekognition, which offers facial recognition services for US police department camera feeds. I'm sure its just off the shelf components stitched together into saas, but good luck getting at their complete training data. Edit: Actually on second thought, I wouldn't be surprised if this worked stupidly easily on Rekognition as they built it. Looking over their API, it isn't clear if the same image in a SearchFacesByImage call will return the same face with the same score in different face collections, assuming the face is the highest match.

Bad example.

But, as per our shttiest possible cyberpunk dystopia the Rekoginition FAQ has this gem:

quote:

Q: What is a face collection and how do I create one?

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 02:59 on May 31, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dawncloack posted:

So how come Sheng's images are not displayed for me and I have to hit quote, copy and paste the link ?

They’re hot linked from twitter so your ad blocker might be blocking them

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

one of these things is not like the others
one of these things just doesn't belong

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Yeah I dunno how big a metro area needs to be to have private schools that aren't Catholic schools (not counting the crazy evangelical "schools" with a dozen students) but I don't think they really exist outside of maybe a half dozen places in the US.

Huh? Even if you exclude all evangelical private schools, I think you’ll find them far more prevalent than that. You have private charter schools, montisori schools, elite private schools, etc.

Especially in the post-integration south, they’re everywhere.

25% of all US schools are private and 10% of students attend them. Only about 39% of private school kids attend catholic schools anymore http://www.capenet.org/facts.html

(Using pro-private numbers might inflate the stats a little but not too much.)

Trabisnikof has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Jun 7, 2018

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Thoguh posted:

My experience with Montessori is that it ends around Kindergarten, so while I agree they'd qualify as a private school, I was thinking more along the lines of post kindergarten, especially high schools.

Oh they go all the way to high school now, but k-8 is more common https://clark.cps-k12.org

I can’t exactly imagine how that works for the kids once they leave.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

The heart warming story of an SS officer and an undesirable bonding over a piece of foreign film

lol that movie would win a bunch of awards too

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

we do live in the shittiest possible cyberpunk dystopia with the shittiest possible excuse for litcrit

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I'm glad to see this tech is finally getting commercialized so people will stop denying it exists. Defense contractors have been selling this capacity for years.

Although the gimmick of saying the "AI can see through walls" when it is using radio data to track you is a great grift.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

face scanning toddlers to stop the threats

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1004869246726344704

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

moller posted:

I sort of assume given the content of the mural and the essential absurdity of cordoned off street art that the abhorrence of the stunt is, indeed, what the artist is trying to communicate with the piece. Of course, it's possible that the artist isn't doing an irony and that this is completely earnest. gently caress if I know.

its also gotten the image of the mural shared way more than if he didn't pretend it was exclusive, its a classic barker trick where you make something worthless exclusive to seem valuable

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

got any sevens posted:

not sure if this is good or bad

this part owns:

quote:

With his new legal victory and the Pandora's box of DIY weapons it opens, Wilson says he's finally fulfilling that mission. “All this Parkland stuff, the students, all these dreams of ‘common sense gun reforms'? No. The internet will serve guns, the gun is downloadable.” Wilson says now. “No amount of petitions or die-ins or anything else can change that."

The Internet Will Serve Guns! All Will Bow Before Guns!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

that kind of argument against facebook experimenting on their users is dumb though, since what qualifies as an "experiment" in this case is just subjecting the users to the usual poo poo they always do except they dont run the test on every single user at once

the issue is the fact they did research that was completely unethical and still got to publish about it. Scientific ethics say you have to get informed consent, especially when your study might harm participants, like the facebook study did.

you're correct companies do unethical research all the time but idk if that means we shouldn't be upset about it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

as with most things its a matter of degree. imo launching a massive marketing campaign targeting millions of people to see if it will increase sales is less ethical than changing how a news feed works on a website for scientific research

like i dont know or consent whenever google changes its search algorithm. but my consent is kinda implicit since for me google is just a black box that i willingly put words into. it doesnt matter to me if google is the same for everyone or region specific or random. it would matter if their aim was malicious of course but thats a separate issue from the act of experimentation

Sure but in the context we're talking about, facebook was intentionally depriving some people of happy/positive facebook posts with the intent of seeing if it made them depressed.

That's more than just changing the service in an attempt to improve it.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mercrom posted:

would the opposite be ok, depriving certain people of depressing news to see if they would be less impressed? if you believe there is a chance it would work, isnt it unethical to deprive everyone else of that change?

i'm not denying your core argument, but i don't think this experiment actually did anything that could reasonably be described as harm. they didnt actually do anything they thought could make people genuinely depressed. if it did it would put into question the ethics of so much of our society, like the publishing of depressing news in the first place

You're confusing ethics and morality. It is blatantly unethical in modern science to do any experiment that you think you might cause harms without informed consent. Facebook didn't get informed consent. And yes, thinking you might make people depressed counts as harm.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

It is $0.50 a minute to be able to see your loved ones during visiting at many prisons now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loling at the "if we do it to pets its OK to do it to people" combined with "I saw a tv bad guy do it"

quote:

“This can’t be inhumane because we do it to our pets,” he said in defense of the proposal.

Ludeman explained to a Toledo Blade reporter that he had seen many TV shows where fictional criminals were able to slip out of an ankle monitor to commit more crimes. He insisted that implanting microchips would be “painless” and “humane.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

how long till we get to "sterilize the poor cause its ok for pets"

trick question - it's already being proposed somewhere

Guess what year California stopped sterilizing inmates without informed consent?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

when human rights watch asked that question to the guy who came up with the three-drug cocktail, his answer was, and I quote, "Why not?"

https://www.hrw.org/reports/2006/us0406/3.htm

other fun fact: the reason lethal injection was first adopted was because OK's electric chair was broken and they didn't want to pay for repairs

lol at "I didn't do any research"

quote:

In addition to his work on the statute, Chapman developed the original three-drug protocol used by the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.45 Although Oklahoma’s statute specifies two drugs, Chapman included a third drug, potassium chloride.46 When Human Rights Watch asked Chapman why he added a third drug to the two drugs specified in the statute, he replied, “Why not?” He went on to explain that, even though the other chemicals, in the dosages called for, would kill the prisoner, “You just wanted to make sure the prisoner was dead at the end, so why not just add a third lethal drug?” He is not sure why he picked potassium chloride. “I didn’t do any research … it’s just common knowledge. Doctors know potassium chloride is lethal. Why does it matter why I chose it?”47

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

lol that app lets you use private toilets while keeping out the homeless

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rookoo posted:

I suppose this fits into this thread better than any others, another case of me not understanding what the gently caress is going on with the US legal system.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45335852

Fella looks like a grade A oval office and defrauded women of just over 900 bucks which is certainly enough to matter to people but the court has put him on a $315,000 bail and he might get over a decade in prison?!

I'm no lawyer but here in the UK he'd be put on a bail of £0 because it makes gently caress all sense to base bail around cash and he'd probably get community service. Where did the yanks get such a hard on for draconian sentences? There's countless videos/cases of judges barely being able to conceal their errections at handing over 200 year sentences or whatever as well. Just boggles my mind.

You have no idea: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/13/us-prisoners-sentences-life-non-violent-crimes

quote:

At about 12.40pm on 2 January 1996, Timothy Jackson took a jacket from the Maison Blanche department store in New Orleans, draped it over his arm, and walked out of the store without paying for it. When he was accosted by a security guard, Jackson said: “I just needed another jacket, man.”

A few months later Jackson was convicted of shoplifting and sent to Angola prison in Louisiana. That was 16 years ago. Today he is still incarcerated in Angola, and will stay there for the rest of his natural life having been condemned to die in jail. All for the theft of a jacket, worth $159.

Jackson, 53, is one of 3,281 prisoners in America serving life sentences with no chance of parole for non-violent crimes. Some, like him, were given the most extreme punishment short of execution for shoplifting; one was condemned to die in prison for siphoning petrol from a truck; another for stealing tools from a tool shed; yet another for attempting to cash a stolen cheque.

Sentenced to life in prison with no chance of prarole for stealing a coat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

No, I had it frozen right after I bought it and let it thaw out.

It's the "ALL VEGETARIAN DIET" that I needed explained to me.

Either the claim is that this chicken is part of a vegetarian diet OR those chickens were not fed meat, to which my follow up question is - what the gently caress kind of meat are we feeding the other chickens? it has to be other chicken meat right?

chickens are omnivores

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The Nastier Nate posted:

I'd accept a label that said "these chickens were not cannibals"

so then what you do is feed the chickens to pigs and then slaughter the pigs and feed them to the chickens. that's the trick they use to get around laws against feeding cows to cows. they feed the waste cow meat to chickens then feed the cows the chickens

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bradbury had it right:

quote:

Until this day, how well the house had kept its peace. How carefully it had inquired, 'Who goes there? What's the password?" and, getting no answer from lonely foxes and whining cats, it had shut up its windows and drawn shades in an old-maidenly preoccupation with self-protection which bordered on a mechanical paranoia.

It quivered at each sound, the house did. If a sparrow brushed a window, the shade snapped up. The bird, startled, flew off! No, not even a bird must touch the house!

The house was an altar with ten thousand attendants, big, small, servicing, attending, in choirs. But the gods had gone away, and the ritual of the religion continued senselessly, uselessly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

it's correct, but unlikely to be prosecutable

for a legal case to exist, prosecutors would probably need to be able to prove that there was more of a connection than just a tweet. as long as they're just hanging around Tesla dealerships singing Elon's praises, and they're not taking orders from Tesla management, it's probably safe

Oh they are getting instructions from Tesla:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

#ClawsOutForTrans seems easy to misunderstand

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

jokes on them, YouTube stars are miserable too

once they have a fan base it’s nonstop demand for new content and they’re all burning out

exactly, it’s no difference than multi-day dancing contests or any of the other 30s era poo poo

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

google used to provide the only free web of knowledge product, but they shut it down so you have to pay $$$ to publishers now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

google scholar still exists and is used a lot more than elsevier's equivalent scopus or are you talking about something else

Oh I know scholar still exists, it used to have an actual graph of citations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Electric cars don't even necessarily solve the issues with fossil fuels, they just concentrate it into generators that just gives the advantage of economies of scale. So long as coal and natural gas are what our national power grid run on, it's the same net effect.

even with our current grid mix electric cars are better

even if you account for the emissions from building a brand new electric car it doesnt take long to be worth it:

quote:

The emissions estimates presented above compare the use of an EV compared to using a gasoline vehicle. However, there are also emissions associated with the production of these cars, and in general making EVs produces more emissions than a comparable gasoline car. We studied this issue in our “Cleaner Cars From Cradle to Grave” report in 2015 and found that the extra emissions from making an 80-mile range EV (compared to a similar gasoline car) are about 15% higher. However, this extra emissions ‘debt’ is quickly recovered by the savings that accrue while using the electric vehicle.

How quickly the emissions are recovered depends on where the car is charged, but for an EV the size of the Nissan LEAF, we found that break-even point occurs after 6 to 13 months of use (depending on electric grid region), well shorter than the likely lifespan of the car.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/dave-reichmuth/new-numbers-are-in-and-evs-are-cleaner-than-ever

of course the big caveat with Tesla is that they turn around and sell those credits to other automakers to allow them to put more polluting cars on the road. so the "saving the world" poo poo is as always bs.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

the only thing gibson got wrong was the grittiness.

our cyberpunk present is a boot stamping on a human face forever, but its all smooth white plastic and brushed aluminum

the grit and grime is there, things haven't degraded so badly that we cant clean it away from the fancy places yet.

like say the bay area's shantytowns blocks away from Michelin star restaurants, where abandoned radioactive waste dumps sit next to $1M homes and a "routine emergency" at an industrial site sends 15,000 people to the hospital.

(those are all real btw, but the home prices have since dropped because the developer lied about removing any of said radioactive waste)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the most unrealistic part of soylent green is that they gave the dude a chill video and some new clothes before they killed him

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

sincere and unironic this is the future that capitalists want

Only if everyone is paying their licensing fees!

Unlicensed repair is theft!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

So combine that with the UN condemning Detroit for shutting off people's water, and that's two major US cities condemned by the UN for their inhumane living conditions. Let's see how many more end up on the list.

Of course Detroit has the excuse that all the corporations that it invested in abandoned it. This is everything working as designed in San Francisco. It's a wonder there aren't more riots.

To be clear, the shantytowns are mostly in Oakland which is a much smaller tax base than San Francisco. So it’s pretty much the same process as Detroit just Oakland’s government hasn’t completely collapsed yet. Oakland’s government is caught between popular support in the flats (poor parts) for homeless support like building housing and declaring safe zones for shanty towns and political pressure from the hills (rich as gently caress) to “stop wasting money.”

It’s overall very similar to what happened to Detroit, rich communities like Palo Alto, Mountain View, Atherton, just push the poor people and homeless into cities like Oakland and Richmond while sharing none of the tax revenue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Research shows time and again that these kind of creepy vague-threat-like statements are in fact far more effective at getting people to vote than pretty much anything else anyone tries.

Likewise those ads that look like bills or legal notices always perform better than the glossy pamphlets. People know you can throw away a pamphlet, but they have to actually open and check the EMERGENCY NOTICE to see it says "Ted Cruz might lose!!!" on the inside.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

The security cameras disguised as a pair of sneakers thrown over the power line owns.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't make jokes on Venmo

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/76r2qx/tifu_by_making_a_north_korea_joke_to_pay_my_power/

quote:

TL;DR: Paid power bill with subject "North Korea is best Korea." Got flagged per Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) guidelines. Still haven't been able to pay the power bill...

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

everyone knows that our browsing data doesnt have any monetary valueirl. ad metrics are 100% made up.

that doesnt mean that it doesnt have political or social value though. poisining the well is a moral imperative. if you have a facebook, click like on "weird" things, join "strange" groups. if your have a youtube, play random videos.

i want to automate that poison. i want to remove myself from the equation, but still have access to a circle of friends

I think that technique would mostly just trigger a closer analysis rather than subtly hide you. You’ll stand out like a sore thumb unless you’re mimicking real behavior. If you want to hide in plain sight make your entire online presence a Finsta.

As far as ruining their data, it doesn’t matter if it is ruined since the analysis is garbage anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

facebook already has facial recognition and poo poo and has been running it on people's pictures for years

I don't see how "comparing someone's selfies from 10 years ago with their selfies today" is a super difficult task, but inventing a meme out of thin air and making it go viral just to train their facial recognition systems is trivially easy. it's also not clear why facebook would need to train a data set like this in the first place

imo, it just falls into the conspiracy theory fallacy that all the stealthy super secret things the illuminati does have to be right out there where everyone can see them, disguised as innocent things that only the true schizophrenics visionaries can recognize as actually part of the evil plan

Makes sense if they wanted to train something to pick old photos you’d like to see versus just an old photo of you. Facebook has a lot of issues going “hey remember 5 years ago when your kid was still alive? Fun times!”