Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
My apologies if these have been answered before, or if they are too personal:

1) You mention being in a cult as a kid. Was it the same vampire poo poo, or a different cult and you switched up? Are your parents still in it? Did they join before you were born or did you have a 'normal' life for a little while and then they joined up?

2) How do people in cults deal with the blatantly obvious and inevitable failure of their schemes? Like, when the world doesn't end, or your ritual doesn't summon Beelzebub, or the holy war against the Jews doesn't start next Thursday, or whatever, what do people say about that? Is there an eternal system of kicking the can down the road ("Thursday after next you guys!") or do they blame someone else? What do people do as the years wear on and the failure becomes an obvious pattern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Prester Jane posted:

Basically I was raised in a facility that was designed to churn out brainwashed office drones meant to win the culture wars by taking over the GOP from the inside. I realize how absurd that claim sounds so here is a sampling of materials

Ahh, okay. I remember reading one of your other threads about that from a few years ago. I do remember some similar trash being peddled by some of the more fundie people in the church when I was a kid, alongside the young-Earther anti-science poo poo and the Chick tract-level proselytizing. The similarities between the fundies and flat-out Nazi/authoritarian government is kind of amazing to watch. I became agnostic at a fairly young age (11-12-ish) but it's interesting to look back a couple decades later and consider what happened to the kids who stayed in that cycle.

Prester Jane posted:

Basically this is all resolved via Compaction cycle. Whenever something proves the group wrong the group will select a scapegoat and expel that person from the group (note, person expelled and stated reasons for expulsion are rarely rationally connected). Basically a group like this generally whittles itself down over time (into an ever-more-radical group) until the group either whittles itself out of existence or morphs into something scary.

You make a fascinating comparison between this and modern right-wing politics in the US. It seems shockingly similar to what is happening in the current administration. The smart people leave pretty quickly (Walter Shaub, Sally Yates) then they start jettisoning the doubters (Reince Priebus, Sean Spicer) and the true believers who have "failed" (Seb Gorka, Mike Flynn). Then you have a series of big failures so you publicly sacrifice the beloved son (Bannon) and pretty soon it's just Stephen Miller writing policy on the back of a Cracker Barrel napkin.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I wonder how it came about that furries, of all loving people, ended up embracing Nazis so readily when other outcast subcultures like anime nerds haven't. Like you never see "Nazi Naruto" cosplays but Nazi Furs are everywhere.

On the off chance this isn't a joke post, you can enjoy some light reading.

*edit: So now I'm literally reading a Naruto thread on Stormfront. Thanks a lot.

• Locked thread