Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
For what it's worth I liked Snowflake Midnight for it's buzzy, laser-sharp, mantra-based songwriting and disliked The Light in You in spite of its fantastic production.

Oczy Mlody wasn't very good but it's not terrible. The second half of it picks up dramatically and "One Night" is destined for a prime spot on an eventual best-of anthology. The feeling I got after it dropped was that the band pretty much has one more chance at righting the ship, and we haven't really seen any Wayne Antics since it flopped.

The real piece of poo poo they released last year was the RSD cash-in psuedo-live album, a tedious waste of time that was shockingly dull

If I were Wayne, I would seriously consider taking on a non-Lips project, specifically non-musical, to recharge the creative batteries before tackling another album. That King's Mouth art installation seemed pretty cool; maybe he should go all-in on an art exhibition. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if he directed some music videos for other bands or even tried his hand at an indie movie that wasn't a band project. And I would seriously consider retooling the live show by modeling it after Ween and other jam-type acts by being able to pull any song out at any time, throwing together unique setlists tailored to the location of each show. Clearly pandering to the festival crowd has reached the point of totally diminished returns.

Anyway, Hear It Is, Oh My Gawd, Telepathic Surgery and In a Priest have been remastered and will be rereleased in June.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
A Brazillian indie shoegaze label has released a FLips tribute album, so that's cool.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

precision posted:

Also they released a "new" song. It sucks.

That's from the Soft Bulletin Companion though

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
So the recent remasters of Hear It Is through In a Priest sound excellent. I haven't replaced my copy of the Punk Rockers CD boxset yet but the vinyl releases sound much better than the old Plain Recordings versions so I've copped those. Apparently The Mushroom Tapes is coming out for Record Store Day, and that's cooler than anything they've put out in a while.

I'm not mad at modern Wayne, just kind of disappointed. It feels like he's reached a point in his life where he's very comfortable and I don't think that's very conducive to having something interesting to say or making interesting art. He's got a nice home, he's financially secure, he's got a young girlfriend that he can take on vacation all over the world. It's a pretty sweet gig- tour the festival circuit, say something about Miley pee once a year to keep his name in the news, make sure some kind of memorabilia is available for two days of the year and he's set. It's hard to blame him for taking it easy after working like a madman for 30 years to reach this point, but it's hard to deny it's had a measurable impact on his new creative work and his ability to evaluate artistic merit.

My takeaway from Oczy Mlody was more or less that he's become kind of a boring person.

The songwriting and production methodology was basically the same process they'd been using since the 2011 project, except with a hi-fi Yoshimi coat of paint. One of the album's primary themes (drugged, hedonistic parties as the world ends!) is a weak retread of the far superior Heady Fwends album, and the other ancillary ideas are unfocused or barely paid lip service (it's sort of, but not really about opoid addiction, it's sort of, but not really, about fantasy fables). Sunrise takes a song Miley Cyrus did better and shamelessly tries to evoke one of The Soft Bulletin's most sublime segments. Lyrics range from half-assed attempts at stream-of-consciousness writing to half-hearted simulations of Quirky Songs Wayne Coyne Would Write. The only track where it feels like Wayne is firing on all cylinders is One Night While Hunting, and it's because it's about exploring his own capacity to hurt others for his own gain (or simply because he can) and being forgiven without being deserving of it... It's an introspective song that feels like he truly challenged himself and the result is a fantastic track that is among some of the band's best work, and it stands out on an album overrun by stagnation, complacency and pandering.

Concerning gossip about his personal life, we really don't know what happened between him and Michelle outside of what that one gossip blog posted, surfingelectrode's dramatic teasing of insider knowledge, and Wayne's own words that he decided to just end the relationship one day. That doesn't really add up to a complete picture at all. There was never much of an actual explanation because of the way the divorce dragged out over years with both parties wanting to keep things very quiet. There's a lot of as-of-yet unexplained stuff in the 2011 output, The Terror and its associated tour that hints at that relationship being hosed up far before the split happened.

Edit: As bad as Oczy Mlody was, it was still better than The Light in You.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 15, 2018

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
The new album is actually good! It's a massive step in the right direction. The storybook conceit works and the whole thing comes off as very sweet. In some ways it feels like a redo of Oczy Mlody, but with a far more focused vision and a willingness to play to the band's strengths.

My favorite song on it is "How Many Times," which is a shameless Yoshimi nostalgia trap and IT TOTALLY WORKS. You can hear it about 1 hour into this BBC stream.

The album is only out in a limited RSD vinyl run for the time being, though I'm sure it'll be floating around the internet very soon. In the meantime, here's the opener for side B.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 14, 2019

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

precision posted:

There's a new album?

Yeah, it's called "King's Mouth" and it's based on that travelling art installation Wayne made. It's straight-up the next official album. The idea is that it's a children's storybook narrative, and features some narration by Mick Jones of The Clash. The full-scale release is in a few months, but they did a soft launch on gold vinyl for Record Store Day. I suspect they did so to build word of mouth, since nobody's going to get involved in a Lips hype cycle after Oczy Mlody. It's not a work of self-important grandeur, it's a surprisingly casual back-to-basics album which makes it very refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
The wide release of King's Mouth is July 19th. Source