Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I’ve relistened to Oczy Mlody a few times in the past few months. Some days I get what they are going for, other times it rings flat.

The instrumentals on the album are awesome, don’t get me wrong. But yikes the lyrics.

It’s just hard for me to take this band seriously anymore. This and the two green haired drummers and all that noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Flaming Lips 2018: Just listen to Mercury Rev, OK?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I've come around and decided I like Oczy Mlody a lot actually. I've also come around and decided the Terror kind of sucks.

Their beer was awful garbage.

The greatest hits regular version is basically what you'd expect the ten most popular songs of theirs on Spotify would be; in other words, it's completely unnecessary unless you just listened to Do You Realize for the first time and kind of liked it or something like that. The deluxe album was pretty good and playing through its entirety brought me back to when I loved the Lips.

Haven't seen the Lips live since 2013 but their recent shows look stellar visually, at least coming from the random photos/videos I've stumbled upon.

Mercury Rev kind of sucks.

I guess the Lips did something with the Spongebob Squarepants musical?

Their old pre-Zaireeka stuff is really dated. I mean, it's good for what it is but it's definitely a product of its time; and I understand why the band evolved the way it did. Personally, I wish they'd have done more stuff that was similar to Embryonic, but I can't complain about too much outside of the Miley Cyrus collaborations.

These are my thoughts on the Flaming Lips in 2018.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wayne's engaged to his girlfriend now, apparently. According to his instagram. I don't hate on modern Wayne as much as others do, but I was kind of surprised when I saw that. Don't really see post divorce Wayne being the marriage type, but what do I know.

precision posted:

That's kinda odd to me because I think Embryonic sounds more like their pre-Zaireeka stuff than anything else.

I'm certainly biased because of how long I've been listening to them, but I also am not afraid to drop a band when they start sounding dated to me, and while I could see Hear It Is or Telepathic Surgery being called "dated", I 100% disagree when it comes to Priest Driven Ambulance, Hit to Death, Transmissions, and Clouds. Those hold up phenomenally well, especially the deeper cuts like "When Yer Twenty-Two", "Halloween on the Barbary Coast", "Felt Good to Burn", etc

Been meaning to get back to you on this, but I don't really know how to argue without it just becoming a "this song/album sucks" "no it doesn't it's good" back and forth. They're all fine albums (though personally Hit to Death never did anything for me outside of the first track; love Priest Driven Ambulance though), they just sound like a product of their time, aka 90's alt rock. And yeah, Embryonic sounds the most like that stuff; but even then it's still apples to oranges, Embryonic is just the one apple that vaguely looks like an orange if you glance at it. It is at its essence a jam rock album in the middle of several psych-pop (before) and electronic/ambient/synthpop (after) releases.

I guess people who are really into Transmissions and Clouds Taste Metallic would probably be more into Mercury Rev than current stuff by the Lips. I just see that era as 90's rock, but don't really get trashing the current stuff in favor of that since it's mostly arguing that 80's/90's music is better than what's out today.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Oczy Mlody wasn't that bad.

I'm interested but if the clamor is "oh it's like Yoshimi" then I'm not that hyped. I'm so over that album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It does a have a Bulletin/Yoshimi-ish vibe to it and Wayne's vocals remind me a lot of Zaireeka, he sounds great.

Jesus loving Christ it isn't 2003 anymore.