Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Race for the Prize came on shuffle on Spotify for me tonight and it made me sad because I remembered how loving great this band used to be and how they're nowhere near that now :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MajorB posted:

A Brazillian indie shoegaze label has released a FLips tribute album, so that's cool.
Well there's certainly more creativity and ambition in this thing than the last decade of the Lips' career

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I remember thinking Peace Sword was cool, but also I haven't listened to it in years.

It didn't leave the kind of impression on me that makes me think every so often "Oh man, that Peace Sword EP was really dope. I need to revisit that." like other Lips projects I've enjoyed a lot.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I guess "hate" is a strong word but it feels like a product nobody needs or wants. Casual Lips fans don't need a Greatest Hits because Spotify has a playlist feature, hardcore Lips fans already own all those songs. It just feels like WB said "yo we're gonna do this whether you want to or not" and Wayne decided to try and control the narrative by making it seem like his idea.

Or maybe he just needs to fix his roof again and those sold out tours aren't paying the bills.
Are the Lips really still selling out tours in 2018 after years of Wayne pretty much blatantly implying that he doesn't give a gently caress what his longtime fans want anymore? You'd think most people would've wised up by now, but maybe not.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

The one time I had this happen to me, it was for Moby around 2001. Literally just giving tickets away. Haha.
That's the only way you could get me to see Moby nowadays :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

It looked to me like everyone was there for Crystal Method. So even Moby fans don't go to see Moby. He did a cover of "Everybody Hurts". Moby is the whitest man alive
I'm a poor-ish white man, and after his comments about how food stamps should be regulated according to his standards, I don't even think I'd see him for free.

Crystal Method, on the other hand, who I saw in October, still own.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nail Rat posted:

I hate giving Wayne money nowadays but I just got tickets to see them at Taste of Chicago because the cheaper GA level was $18 a ticket (inclusive of all fees). Hope he doesn't play anything from Oxford Melody!
To quote Vampire Weekend, "Who gives a gently caress about an Oczy Mlody?"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1002354090561687552

Hey, remember The Flaming Lips?

No?

Me neither.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

T Bowl posted:

The Flaming Lips were a band you'd enthusiastically claim to be a big fan of a decade ago, to where we are at now you'll feel a bit embarrassed and old if you claim to love them to someone.
Right? Even like 5 years ago when The Terror came out, I would've called them one of my all-time favorite bands. Now I don't say that anymore.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I feel bad for the kid :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Edward Mass posted:

I saw the Lips last Wednesday, and out of the three times I've seen them it was the best they've ever been. How?? sounded miles better than the album version.
I just got home from seeing them for the second time, and yeah, that show kicked rear end. One of my favorite shows I've seen in the last few years. I remember liking the first time I saw them a lot, but it was at an outdoor festival and I was kinda far back. This time was in an indoor theater and I was right up against the stage.

They're performing Yoshimi in its entirety on this tour, so that was an absolute treat. They did that as one set, took a break, did another set, then did an encore. In the second set they played She Don't Use Jelly, Waitin' for a Superman, The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song, Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung, My Cosmic Autumn Rebellion, A Spoonful Weighs a Ton, Race for the Prize and a few others. Just an incredible couple sets in which they played almost everything I could want to hear from them.

How is Wayne still doing this? I looked him up on Wiki on the way home and he's 63 years old :eyepop: But he's still energetic as hell, doing costume changes and set changes for almost every song of the second set. And yes, he got in the bubble and performed a few songs from there.

Also, the amount of confetti blasted out was absurd. By the end of the show, I was absolutely covered in it. And the show was in this beautiful historic theater, so I don't envy the cleanup that has to happen after that.