Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Well, apparently, Call Me By Your Name, is entering wide release in a few days. And I couldn't find a thread so I figured I might as well create one myself. I just saw yesterday and I don't know why but, but it really kinda hit me where it hurt. Part of it definitely was some jealousy, I mean, who wouldn't love to spend 6 weeks in a beautiful villa in the Italian countryside, and the amazing music and general atmosphere, but I think it's more than that, it definitely felt like more than the sum of its parts. I felt that the characters were a bit underdeveloped and even caricature-like, every now and then, (I still don't really know what Oliver is like as a person, I mean, philology as a field is more-or-less extinct, and no archaeologist would write about Heidegger's interpretation of the pre-Socratic philosophers), but I guess I grew to accept that.

Also, I went into the movie expecting to dislike the Sufjan Stevens soundtrack, but somehow it really worked. Honestly, I can't stop listening to Mystery of Love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQT32vW61eI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Th

Cacator posted:

Saw this at a film festival back in September. Michael Stuhlbarg's monologue at the end blew me away and I think he deserves nominations for that scene alone.

That was an stand-out moment alright, and Stuhlbarg is such an amazing actor anyway. I did feel he was a bit underutilized, most people besides Hammer and Chalamet were, if you ask me, but he still did a terrific job.

• Locked thread