Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think this was the best film of 2017. Absolutely great adaptation of an already great book. The final 20 minutes had me bawling.

Re: Oliver's characterization: The book fleshes out how much of Oliver is an act to impress/please others. Much of the persona he gives off is a facade meant to hide who he is, and since the book is from Elio's point of view, we really only see Oliver through Elio's eyes. Not necessarily a fault of the book, though, as the culmination of Oliver's falsehoods delivers in the last few pages of the epilogue.

Given the nature of the book, I can see why it's hard to gauge who Oliver is in the film. I will say that the film goes for a much more dramatic route when it comes to the phone call scene (it was a physical visit in the book).

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
The release schedule for this movie probably killed its Oscar chances.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Solid film and my expectations were real low, I remember really not liking the book at all when it came out, was probably the wrong demographic for it but I thought it was one of the most poorly written books I've ever bothered to finish reading and didn't understand why anyone would make it into a movie.

Don't know how the adapted screenplay award is meant to work, the dialogue pulled from the book was almost like robotic sounding but the original stuff was dope as hell and Stuhlbarg elevated the whole thing.

Chalamet's performance was the best of the nominees (haven't seen the DDL film yet though), stronger than Oldman's, but the latter was more consistent so it might go that way. I would give it to Chalamet though.
Despite some of the more robotic dialogue of the novel, that whole last speech was ripped straight from the book. Stuhlbarg nailed it.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
There was a review by the SFWeekly about this movie, and the reviewer was so offended by the subject matter that she posted a picture of her review copy disc split in half. I’ve never seen a movie reviewer act so unprofessional.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
I think the argument I find most baffling is likening this film's romantic relationship age gap to the Kevin Spacey situation, whereas I think they couldn't be more different. Removing the age of consent in Italy out of the situation, nothing presented in either the book or the film depicts Elio being taken advantage of as Spacey had done. One thing that's rarely considered is that the book was written in 2007, when the gay rights movement was just beginning to pick up steam w/r/t things like gay marriage or hate crime laws (in my home state of Oregon, that's when we enacted anti-discrimination laws for sexual orientation, as an example).

I also find it funny how often the fact that both Elio and Oliver are depicted as bisexual in the book and film is unmentioned. It's a rare film in that respect, given most media treats male bisexuality as either a phase, or a tool for adultery.

Echoing that Magic Hate Ball has a fantastic defense of the film. Thank you.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 27, 2018

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Any interpretation that reads Mr. Perlman's monologue as an "outing" of himself is totally missing the point. The monologue is meant to cement that Elio's father appreciates love in all its forms, and the tragedy of never experiencing love when you have it right in front of you, no matter the gender. It's definitely an article that misreads the film, and the book.

It also helps to have read the book re: Oliver, as the film misses the mark somewhat slightly in fleshing out Oliver as a person and his own vulnerability when it comes to his relationship with Elio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Do you mean that he wasn't indicating that he's not straight, or that the point of the monologue isn't about him outing himself?

A little of both. His monologue digs at the overall weight of true love, and to let yourself experience all of the emotions that come from heartbreak so as to not let yourself become cynical, or bitter. I never read the monologue as his father admitting to any bisexuality or homosexuality, not that it would matter if it did. I haven't read the book in quite some time, though. I just think that interpreting the scene in that way detracts from its universal truths.

One touch I like about the film is the flies that linger in many scenes, even in the final one. There's Elio's nosebleeds, too, and the fact that they have an orchard where uneaten fruit would be left to rot. There's visual language that hints towards what's coming on the horizon (and, at the time the film is set, is currently happening in America) in terms of the AIDS crisis. The film encapsulates an idyllic life for this kind of love before a lot of sorrow will occur.

Ubiquitous_ fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 27, 2018

• Locked thread