Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Alright, recruits, listen up. My name is Lieutenant Rasczak. It is my duty to welcome you to the Federation Mobile Infantry. You are well on your way to becoming a full-fledged citizen with the best goddamned fighting force in the universe. Right now we got ourselves a bug problem, it's important to the Federation that this bug problem be stomped out. We will be going to their home system to put them down. Rest assured, you will fight or you will die. If you don't do your part, I will shoot you myself. Are we clear? Good.

Now, I believe the Colonel would like to say a few words.

Yes, thank you, Lieutenant.

The bug's are a vicious foe. They have no empathy. They cannot reason. They are little more than--well, bugs. Our reconnaissance reports that the general swarm is controlled by intelligent hiveminds. If we kill the hiveminds, we kill the bugs dead! We have discovered that their home planet is Klendathu. However, we aren't going there. Not yet. The bugs have a presence on a number of worlds in their system. We need to destroy them first to get to the home world. While I oversee this operation from orbit, Lieutenant Rasczak will be my eyes and ears on the planet's surface.

You, uh, goons will be working with the Lieutenant to coordinate the attack. I don't know why command has saddled me with you, as you're a bunch of untrained, unwashed--

*ahem*

Right, yes, you will be working with the Lieutenant to coordinate the attack. You will provide the strategy needed to conquer the planet and defeat the hives, whereas the Lieutenant will largely be responsible for the tactics on the field. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have places to be. Do NOT disappoint me, goons.

You heard the man, do your job and do it right. You do that and we'll be home in time for Christmas. Welcome to the Neckbeards.

RASCZAK'S NECKBEARDS!!

The brass have dubbed this mission "Operation Planetary Campaign".

Not the most inspiring name--

--but it's not the brass's job to inspire. That would be where I come in.

Klendathu-4 is a medium sized planet on the edge of the Klendathu system. The bug's have saved some of their meanest forces to defend their home turf, so expect heavy resistance and a malicious opponent. Lucky for us, Klendathu-4 is the furthest outpost from Klendathu Prime, so while the resistance will be extreme, we won't be suffering the bug's elite. Now, come here and take a look at the battlefield map:

This planet is infested. We've established a stronghold and landed three platoons, but we're up against an entire continent that hates us. Four large hives control the surface. We need to fight our way to each of those major hives and destroy them. We wipe those out and all bug forces on the surface will wither and die. Now, pull up a chair and I'll catch you up to speed on the field elements in front of you.

This is our stronghold. Protect it at all costs. We lose this stronghold and we lose the planet. This is how we land reinforcements and maintain a supply chain to the orbiting ships. Without it, the bugs'll have forced us off the planet. Don't make the Colonel come back down here and explain to you just how bad that would be.

These are our platoons.

Best drat fighters in the galaxy, ain't that right, Rico?

SIR, YES, SIR!

You will be commanding their movements around the planet's surface. They can easily hold off bug forces, but in their absence, an empty sector will quickly fall back into their slimy hands. Always keep an eye on their morale. An army's morale is represented by those stars you see on the screen. Five stars? They'll fight their way to hell and back for you. If they lose all stars during a battle, they have lost all morale and they will flee in the face of adversity and be defeated. Keep their spirits up, goons.

Those hearts represent the strongholds. Kill them to kill the bugs. The number represents how many individual hives protect the area. The greater the number, the bigger the danger and the more difficulty we'll have in securing a location. Don't rush off half-cocked. Fight the small battles first. Get used to the battlefield, get some experience, and most importantly: liberate some resources. Without the proper gear, the bugs will be able to brush us off easily.

Standard bug forces are represented by this icon. They aren't strong enough or organized enough to actively push into Mobile Infantry controlled territory, because we're that drat good. However, there are only three platoons and they can't be everywhere at once. Standard bug forces will attempt to destroy and inhabit any of our territory not currently occupied by one of our platoons. Again, the number represents their strength. The higher the number, the more dangerous the battle.

Specialized bug forces are represented by this icon. They are mobile and can ruin our day if we stumble on them unprepared. They don't move aggressively, but they patrol defensively, moving from sector to sector to shore up standard bug defenses. Their specific dangers can vary and can be difficult to defeat in more ways than one, so I'll give you the intel as it becomes relevant.

These are our strategic abilities. Supplies permitting, we can use them in our battle to shore up our own defenses or to create a superior offense. Fortify builds static defenses in a region so that a platoon can leave without worry of bugs taking over. As long as the fortifications stand, so does our territory. Occasional maintenance is needed as bugs wear down the positions. An army using Fortify will build a fortification in the region it inhabits as well as ALL SURROUNDING FRIENDLY REGIONS. It's a good ability. Use it. Note that it costs 1 army morale per use. Resupply regains up to 2 army morale for all platoons in the game. It has a cool-down, though, so be careful. Buildup resupplies our Tactical points, which we can use defensively and offensively on the battlefield itself. These can mean the difference between winning or losing a battle. I'll get into more detail about these later. Note that it also has a cool-down and that using it resets the Resupply cool-down. Airlift moves our forces to any location on the battlefield--except strongholds. Note that every red region IS in fact infested with bugs. However, we can only see reconnaissance on adjacent sectors. Be careful about just airlifting into the sector next to a stronghold, as you could be dropping into the jaws of hell themselves. Lastly, Pass holds our position, allowing us time to resupply from the fleet. Sometimes necessary, however, every time we wait idle we risk the enemy sending more aggressive bugs against us.

Getting antsy? We're almost done.

Mutations gives us information on enemy abilities. We need to know these to counter them. The big "3" is a countdown timer before the bugs change their mutations. They are always trying to stay one step ahead of us. DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THEM. It will be your death. Tactics Power are what we use to power our battlefield abilities. Again, more on that later. Research are the resources we have towards bettering our gear. As we defeat enemies and gather resources, we can spend it towards better tech.

Which brings us to decision making time.

The Federation has seen fit to grace us with a small assortment of gear to combat the bugs. Our Base gear includes Turrets, Scouts, and Overdose. The turret is the most basic structure of any marine arsenal. It fires a powerful gun mounted on a tripod. It is great for defending captured areas, but can also be utilized offensively. If a tripod is being targeted, marine lives are being saved. Costs 7 Build Points.

Scouts are a specialized class of soldier. They use a cloaking device that hides them from enemies. They are armed with a slow-firing, high-damage, low-yield grenade launcher. Don't expect them to blow up buildings, but they can cause major damage to high priority, high-health targets. They remain invisible when standing still or firing but their cloaks don't stand up to scrutiny if an enemy gets close. They do have freeze shots that put dangerous targets in stasis. Targets in stasis can't attack, but they also can't BE attacked. Scouts are glass cannons and can be killed easily, so keep these specialized bastards off the field unless needed. Costs 6 Build Points.

Lastly, the Overdose ability. This triples your marines' firepower at the cost of some health. For a mere 45% of your health, marines can fire 200% faster for 8 seconds. Oh, and while they're overdosed, they can't die from injuries--that doesn't happen until after the drugs wear off. I'll be honest, it's not my favourite ability as it's not the most practical. That said, it's nice to have a Hail Mary in your back pocket. Costs 6 ammo.

We have 1 Research point with which we can use to buy ONE additional ability. Right now we only have access to the TIER 1 list. If you want access to other tiers, you're going to have to destroy an enemy stronghold. The only other way to get new technology without having to spend research points is to salvage it on the battlefield. Bugs know we like salvage, though, so if we know it's available we have to act fast--but I'll come back to that.

Here are your choices, gentlegoons:

ENGINEERING, upgrade station. This building allows structures to auto-construct. Want to build a turret? Don't need a marine to do, let the building do it its drat self--this costs 2 ammo in battle. This also allows all other structures to regenerate health. Furthermore, any destroyed buildings won't diminish team morale. Costs 3 Build Points.

REINFORCEMENT, upgrade station. Gives us transport helicopters. What that means in battle is any fallen marine can be airlifted to the front--no more walking from a station which can save precious time in the middle of a fight. Respawned marines get a extra few benefits from this as well. Overall respawn speed is improved 30%, fresh marines are inspired to fire 300% faster, and morale decrease from death is diminished by 50%. Costs 1.5 ammo per helidrop and costs 5 Build Points.

MINEFIELD, structure. It's a minefield. Bugs walk over them and they explode. Mines stick, so even fast bugs are affected. Especially good against dense crowds. Costs 3 Build Points.

MEDICAL POD, structure. These heal your marines and buildings. Pods are towed behind the marine team, providing medical regeneration and shielding. They can also be detached at a strategic juncture. Any marines or buildings in range are healed. If the owner's health is more than 70%, it will provide them with additional shielding against fire. Costs 5 Build Points.

AIRDROP, ability. Calls in marines for temporary support. A helicopter will drop off 4 riflemen to support you for 30 seconds before picking them up again. I know 30 seconds doesn't sound like a lot, but it can make a helluva difference in the heat of battle. Costs 8 ammo per use, preventing it from being spammed.

MEDIC, soldier class. Medics restore the health of your squad. Can heal up to two targets at the same time. If a hive dies, they will automatically heal 15% of any nearby marines. Costs 7 Build Points.

Once you've made the decision for research, you'll need to decide on an action for our turn. You get to make two per turn.

A defensive move costs 1 action. Using Fortify? 1 action. Moving an army to a friendly sector? 1 action. Attacking always uses all your moves. For this reason, it's best to use a defensive move BEFORE calling an attack. Just a few things I want to point out on the battlefield:
  • 1 - None of our regions are fortified. The stronghold has basic fortifications, but they CAN be improved.
  • 2 - Our scouts report that two nearby sectors have salvageable tech: Stasis Field and Life Support. If we want them, we should act fast. The scouts say it'll be three turns before the bugs find that tech and destroy it.
  • 3 - An Airlift is possible right out of the gate, but could be risky considering our limited tech.
That all aside, this is YOUR show. YOU make the choices. Let me know how want this to play out and I'll do my best to make it happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Just to be clear:

1 - VOTE ON NEW TIER 1 RESEARCH
2 - DECIDE ON OUR OPENING MOVES (You can have 2 defensive moves, 1 defensive and 1offensive move, or 1 offensive move)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oooh, nice.

research I vote Transport. Moving our troops more quickly, but more importantly being able to get losses replaced faster seems best early on.

For our opening moves I vote that we have three army groups. Our Fortress is only approachable from one direction (immediately north) a sector which is under our control.

I vote in the sector there we build a turret. This lets us have a chokepoint on the only access zone to our base and can act as a fallback or rally point for deployed units. The bug sonly have one way to hit our HQ, we want to make sure it's solid so we can redeploy.

I vote that one unit of Marines be left there this turn to construct a turret or whatever fortifications can be setup in the sector immediately 'north' of our HQ. Our other two units should be sent to try and make salvage runs at the tech that is available.

Thsi is (if allowable) a somewhat conservative opening as it would have all three our landed units near one another for support, building defenses, and just making 1-2 sector moves.

If folks feel that given the two groups of bugs at the 'statis field' zone are too dangerous to go in with one platoon of marines, go for life support instead.

For future use, we should want to secure the area east of our HQ a sector or so in and fortify it. This means we've covered the approaches that could flank our HQ and can just focus on the main bug zones that are to the north/northwest of ourimmediate territorial hold.

It seems like we want to try and focus on chokepoints - there ar elots of bugs, we don't know how many but they seem to be able to throw in a near endless number of units. We want to limit our contact points they can hit us from to flank us so we can focus on clearing them out zone by zone, securing our supply lines. We should avoid being in position where we can be cut off or flanked.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I dunno about opening moves, but I'll say automated building is a must, so engineering

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

wedgekree posted:

I vote in the sector there we build a turret. This lets us have a chokepoint on the only access zone to our base and can act as a fallback or rally point for deployed units. The bug sonly have one way to hit our HQ, we want to make sure it's solid so we can redeploy.

I should specify that all research applies only to items used on the field of battle. They will only be used in combat when I am ordered to attack an enemy. That's where the RTS element kicks in and the game will be too complex for thread votes. What research I'll take into battle and where I'll deploy it is what I need the thread to determine. So bear in mind, if a sector has "fortifications", it has defenses. If a sector as an army, it has defenses. What research I have determines how effective I can be when trying to claim new sectors for the thread.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

I should specify that all research applies only to items used on the field of battle. They will only be used in combat when I am ordered to attack an enemy. That's where the RTS element kicks in and the game will be too complex for thread votes. What research I'll take into battle and where I'll deploy it is what I need the thread to determine. So bear in mind, if a sector has "fortifications", it has defenses. If a sector as an army, it has defenses. What research I have determines how effective I can be when trying to claim new sectors for the thread.

Got it. Thanks!

EDIT: Also change my vote to ENGINEERING from 'Airlift'.

wedgekree fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jan 17, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Engineering
Fortify Middle Army, get that life support with North army

Sir, can we name our outfits, Sir?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

habituallyred posted:

Engineering

This seems like the best course of action.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

habituallyred posted:

Engineering

Seconded

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habituallyred posted:

I thought you'd never ask. Yes, please. Giving the platoons names will help identify them for thread votes later one. So let's add that to the list things to do while we gather consensus on what research and opening moves we should make. I'll need three army names, soldiers.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Goon Platoon
Platgoon
Goontoon

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Blind Sally posted:

I'll need three army names, soldiers.

Rendar's Revengers

Marl's Marauders

Leonard's Minesweepers

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do the bugs have any mutations yet?

Engineering would be effective at this point, but there's a lot of possible enemy mutations that make turrets pretty worthless, so right now my vote is Minefields. Minefields are of course even better once we get Engineering and can auto-build them around, but even requiring a soldier to set them up, minefields are cheap and kill amazingly well with their infinite mines that penetrate hardened enemy carapaces.

As for our platoon movements, I suggest Fortifying our central territory (so that it fortifies all our currently-held territories), and then Attack the 4 hive space to the north, so that we can salvage the life support tech.

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I'm going to back up Mzbundifund's vote of Minefields, Fortifying the central territory and Going after Life Support tech.
For much the same reasoning as them too in the case of the Minefields though I haven't played the planetary campaign so I can't really comment on the tactics.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Fortifying the central area and going for life support seem like no-brainers, but I'd rather get something that helps us out on the offensive so we can actually win instead of just not-dying. My vote goes to either reinforcement, or airdrop (whichever, if any, is more popular with the other voters).

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Voting for Medical pod As even one of these will keep your squad in the fight that much longer. Which means more time bought to build up or maneuver. And we should head north, for sure.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Another vote for Medical Pod as they don't require us to have a solider on the field as a medic and have a large radius. Very good tech, sir!

Fortify with the middle platoon so that every region gets some defenses installed
Attack with North Platoon to grab life support. We need this basic gear to survive this lovely planet

Platoon names:
Zappers
Trekkies
Laser swords

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Platoon names should be Goooooons, Gooooooons, and Goooooooons.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ultrafilter posted:

Platoon names should be Goooooons, Gooooooons, and Goooooooons.

Uh, no.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Research Engineering.
Fortify the area north of the Stronghold so the bugs from the East have something to chew on while our boys go and try to grab that Life Support area.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Rendar's Revengers

Marl's Marauders

Leonard's Minesweepers

Wouldn't that be Leonard's Lemmin- ohhhh I see what you did there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Note: there are no enemy Mutations yet. Just bog-standard bugs atm.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Yeeess, I love how we're taking this game to its logical conclusion.

Mzbundifund posted:

Do the bugs have any mutations yet?

Engineering would be effective at this point, but there's a lot of possible enemy mutations that make turrets pretty worthless, so right now my vote is Minefields. Minefields are of course even better once we get Engineering and can auto-build them around, but even requiring a soldier to set them up, minefields are cheap and kill amazingly well with their infinite mines that penetrate hardened enemy carapaces.

As for our platoon movements, I suggest Fortifying our central territory (so that it fortifies all our currently-held territories), and then Attack the 4 hive space to the north, so that we can salvage the life support tech.

What that guy says.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Just vomiting the first ideas out of my head, for platoons we can go for things like;
Interspecies Relations
Aggressive Scouting
Friendly Fire, Isn't

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

We could go with other bug wars for sources. Figure if we name our squads after winners, might be kind of a good luck charm.

Ripley's Raiders
Felix's Fusiliers
Wrex's Weapons

As for research? Airdrop might be handy. Always good to have more guns.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Engineering for our research.

Ripley's Raiders
Roger's Rambos
Shepherd's Pies

Happerry
Nov 4, 2011
Infested Planet is a pretty fun game, so it's nice to see an LP of it.

Engineering

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I think focusing on researching Engineering is a good start.
As for unit names:

Vader's Vanquishers
Narville's Nobodies
Fett's Vets

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ripley's Raiders
Roger's Rambos
Shepherd's Pies

Seconding those names, because Shepherd's Pies gave me the giggles.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I vote Engineering

I have only one unit name I would like to suggest:

DDTeam

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ripley's Raiders
Roger's Rambos
Shepherd's Pies

Thirding Engineering and Shepard's Pie.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I've only got one name, it needs to be

Rico's Roughnecks

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012
I've got names that make sense as references!

Rendar's Revengers

Cipher's Conquerors

Rico's Roughnecks/Ripley's Raiders.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Blind Sally's Barnstormers. Because we probably can't hit the side of one.

And clearly we need a MEDIIIIC!

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Squad 1
Squad 2
Squad 4

Keep them guessing where number 3 is.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Rico's Raid-- YOU ARE RELIEVED OF SQUAD COMMAND!

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

nine-gear crow posted:

Rico's Raid-- YOU ARE RELIEVED OF SQUAD COMMAND!

I'll take it

until i get killed

or you find someone better

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Med Pods. Seconding this for movement

Mzbundifund posted:

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
's gotta be Charley, Farley and Barley. Because that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Blind Sally posted:

I thought you'd never ask. Yes, please. Giving the platoons names will help identify them for thread votes later one. So let's add that to the list things to do while we gather consensus on what research and opening moves we should make. I'll need three army names, soldiers.

Larry, Moe and Curly.

Actually Shepherd's Pies was a great suggestion.

• Locked thread