Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jiro Kage
Aug 6, 2003

PICKLE SURPRISE!
I’ve spent the past few days going through a bunch of different “Getting things done” software types and I’m at the point where I either want too many features or I am just missing something that even comes close. What I’m trying to find is something that allows:

- apps for iOS and android
- offline work (as I travel a lot and want to be able to input ideas or completion information on the go)
- the ability to imbed images/notes/files in the tasks
- A non-subscription, flat out price model

I’m getting this solely for myself and to track some large electronics projects that I have ongoing at home. It’s for me and no one else, and I like to be able to lay out tasks in pieces so I can track my progress and keep myself motivated, without getting too distracted. The different parts makes this sub task portion essential. So far, the closest I have found is “Hitask”, which has a fantastic web interface and the apps work offline, but they seem godawful compared to the site that you have to connect to (for instance, on the android app I have a few dated projects that relate to auctions for parts, but I cannot see them at all in any way unless I am on the web version). I’ve looked at and tried quite a few others, but many of them have a subscription model as they are focused around large teams or corporations (which I totally don’t blame them for, that’s where the money is).

One note seems pretty good, but I do not want my work email associated with it, and I don’t really want to worry about yet another email through Microsoft.
Nirvana, Todoist, Zendone, and Nozbe are all really nice but have limitations that knock out a lot of their features unless you get a subscription. Toodledo doesn’t have subtasks without a subscription. There’s quite a few others in my list that I have looked through, and I realize I am probably looking seriously pie-in-the-sky at this, but I figured maybe someone here knew something I didn’t.

A late contender is OmniFocus, which I really like the possibilities, but I’m agonizing over the fact it is iOS/Mac only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Jiro Kage posted:

One note seems pretty good, but I do not want my work email associated with it, and I don’t really want to worry about yet another email through Microsoft.

I use OneNote in conjunction with todoist and it does not require the usage of a microsoft email. I just use an external address. Or do you mean having to be involved with their services at all?

I use OneNote for the information gathering/resource maintaining portion of GTD and I find it excels for those purposes and would highly recommend it to others.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

There are (two) one notes:

The free connected version for windows store
The one packaged in with office (with a perpetual or o365 license)

The one that ships with office is a completely offline application.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

incoherent posted:

There are (two) one notes:

The free connected version for windows store
The one packaged in with office (with a perpetual or o365 license)

The one that ships with office is a completely offline application.

Ah I use it primarily on OSX and my iPad so I was not aware of this. Though I was specifically looking for something to sync between Windows/OSX and iPad so it works out.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel you on that there's nothing that perfectly fits my GTD ideal, the Palm OS PIM stuff came closest. I use Pocket Informant 4 while it's still supported and the version for macOS. They are still stupid about time zones so if you travel for business I think it's right out. There is a subscription for ~cloud sync~ but I don't mind the cost.

OmniFocus is great but I was annoyed that they stayed out of calendar (I think the iOS calendar leaves a lot to be desired).

General RAARGH
Jan 24, 2003

armchair general

Jiro Kage posted:

A late contender is OmniFocus, which I really like the possibilities, but I’m agonizing over the fact it is iOS/Mac only.

I used it for GTD for a month on the free trial but couldn't quite convince myself to pay to continue - also, not sure whether I can even create a proper Next Actions perspective without the pro license for an extra $40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Necroposting, but yea.

All the GTD software out there seems to be overpriced for what it does, or just missing basic features.
I'm in and out of my notebook constantly and it always feels like a lot more of a hassle pull out the phone, wait, open app, wait, open context (if you have them), wait, 'next action', punch it in on tiny phone keyboard.

Compared to "flip to context, write it down".

So, the primary thing I want is the speed and convenience of carrying a dead tree around, with one less thing to carry. and a couple other features.

So, features wanted so far....

- Revolutionary 'buy it, own it' pricing model.
- iOS + Android
- Offline storage
- embedding images/stuff in tasks
- Can read/add stuff in calander
- Integration with Siri, Hey google, if only for adding tasks/projects to a context.
-+ "Hey Siri next action at Computer eat expired cheetos first"
-+ "Hey Google, next action for project moonbase, drive Winnebago to moon."
- Actual, un-broken GTD functionality
-+ Projects
-+ Next actions
-+ Lists
-+ Lists of Next Actions that can be put in order
-+ Checking off of Next actions (I found one for iOS long ago that would let you add tasks and projects, you could never remove them or mark them as done.)
-+ Tickler File

• Locked thread