Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
I never played either of the Mech Assault games, or anything else BattleTech or Mechwarrior. I always knew these Xbox games existed and where typically scoffed at and watching this first video...I almost want to play it? Looks so stupid, and I kinda get a kick out of the wall climbing mechanic even if it is finicky as poo poo.

The openness of the level and destructibility is giving me a desire to replay Metal Wolf Chaos, oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Edit: I have a feeling a lot of MA2's problems sprang from "Ok, but how can you make this more like Halo?"
I mean, the save checkpoint indicator in the upper right quarter of the screen made me think most of Halo more than anything, oddly enough. Even before noticing stuff like the radar.

Yeah, other than the weight of these massive loving mechs you pilot, so much of this (and I presume MechAssault 1 as well) feels less like an actual mech game and more just a shooter taking cues from Microsoft's then biggest loving IP at the time. Doesn't even need to be a sim if being arcade-y was the goal, but there's always better ways at conveying that you are piloting a robot and not playing a third person shooter with a robot skin. Although my only reference points are from Japanese games, so I wouldn't know the first thing of translating BattleTech's specific qualities to a more pick up and play kind of game.

• Locked thread