Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Last time I needed poo poo fixed I took the uniform standards in with my stuff and since they knew how to read it was fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Go to the recruiting office near you and ask what tailor they use. Dudes pick up SSgt on recruiting duty all the time. They will know someone who can do chevrons and blood stripes.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
just lmao if you care about your haircut and shave when you wear your dress blues as a civilian

you're supposed to be disgusting :smugdon:

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

if its the contract I'm thinking of the 4 years of college count towards retirement as well

I think they're supposed to finish college faster than 4 years tho, this dude had to take summer classes and poo poo

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

What are they going to do, make you push? Laughable.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Do it right for grampa.

Vet grandson owes vet grampa some vet poo poo.

Except joining the VA. I scuzzed out of that one. Sorry Grampa! (RIP)

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Victor Vermis posted:

Do it right for grampa.

This.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I accepted an appointment to a vet committee at work. I blame a temporary moment of clarity in which I realized I should probably augment my current strategy of "troll the gently caress out of everyone who has been doing this 10x longer than I have" with some fluffy resume-padding.

... it was this or join the "employee wellness" committee.

Good thing I was prepared for either outcome. Now I just need to go all VetTV on my initiative pitch entitled "residual trauma? lol just loving kill ur self" and I'll be on the fast track to a salaried position boys.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Yall ever crush it at a job and realize,

Holy poo poo,

I dont have to do pull ups to get a raise

?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Victor Vermis posted:

Yall ever crush it at a job and realize,

Holy poo poo,

I dont have to do pull ups to get a raise

?

Neither does anyone else anymore. You can do push-ups. Alternatively just have training run whatever score you write on a sticky and hand to them.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Neither does anyone else anymore. You can do push-ups. Alternatively just have training run whatever score you write on a sticky and hand to them.

I didn't know they changed the pull-up standards, so I looked it up.

You first have to fail to do the minimum number of pull-ups before you can switch to push-ups, and the minimum number of pull-ups was increased to 5?!

Every PFT I did in an infantry battalion involved a couple of staff NCOs with clipboards recording pull-up scores. I bet its standard to have the push-up group at the end of the PFT for maximum shame.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Victor Vermis posted:

I didn't know they changed the pull-up standards, so I looked it up.

You first have to fail to do the minimum number of pull-ups before you can switch to push-ups, and the minimum number of pull-ups was increased to 5?!

Every PFT I did in an infantry battalion involved a couple of staff NCOs with clipboards recording pull-up scores. I bet its standard to have the push-up group at the end of the PFT for maximum shame.

I have never actually seen anyone do push-ups before but my last three pfts were done with the other two guys on my ship. I am pretty sure it's an option you can pick at the beginning with the understanding that you can only score 75 points for maxing them out. Females can't do flex arm hangs anymore so they have to do pullups or push-ups too and they made maxing pullups harder but added more of a bell curve for scoring.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
I've seen some folks do push ups and it never seems to go well, might as well do pullups. You've got to do 80+ in two minutes just to get 70 points or just do 16 pullups.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Lol the pft is dumb just give everyone a cutting score based on bloodsport.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I got out just before the CFT became official and I liked that a lot more than the PFT

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cft was actually pretty good

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PathAsc posted:

Cft was actually pretty good

lol

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Let me rephrase

Compared to the pft, the cft was amusing

Good enough for government work

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

PathAsc posted:

Let me rephrase

Compared to the pft, the cft was amusing

Good enough for government work

They changed the scoring a couple years ago to make it harder since too many people were scoring high numbers.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Never changed the composite score equation to make it so that your PFT/CFT score wasn't worth more than everything else about you combined.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Never have to worry about your cutting score if your MOS doesn't promote :v:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Bolow posted:

Never have to worry about your cutting score if your MOS doesn't promote :v:

ASK me about getting pinned CPL the week before I started terminal leave at the end of a 5-year contract

They're finally getting rid of my MOS as a primary MOS this fiscal year though.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

the highest I scored on the PFT was a 295 for a pre ship test.

*farts into wine glass and swirls it with nobility*

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

ASK me about getting pinned CPL the week before I started terminal leave at the end of a 5-year contract

They're finally getting rid of my MOS as a primary MOS this fiscal year though.

Sgt promotions were straight up locked for like 3 loving years straight, we finally had a dude pick up with a 2190 or some poo poo. The monitor had the balls to wonder why everyone was lat moving or eas'ing out of that loving mos :psyduck:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Holy crap which MOS was that? And I thought Cpl promotions closing for 18 months was bad.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I don't worry about cutting scores

Civ div is cool and good

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I scored a 214 on the DD. A perfect score.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Internet Wizard posted:

Holy crap which MOS was that? And I thought Cpl promotions closing for 18 months was bad.

6227 F-404 Intermediate Maintenance Technician or some poo poo, basically we broke down and rebuilt F-18 engines all day. Mind you this poo poo was back in like 2007-2010. A bunch of people started to get promoted right after I EAS'd in 2010 iirc.

Like half my shop was sailors and it was an extremely chill job, just you know the Marine Corps is loving terrible and could make anything loving awful.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014
I've been working in corporate America for about 6 months now...

Would rather be digging a fighting hole everyday than having to come into this soulless poo poo stain of a place. I swear if another pos tries to make small talk with me in the coffee room...

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dial it back a bit and try talking to them. You might find your coworkers to be genuinely friendly and curious. Try not to talk about the military.

PS dont talk about the military

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah. I mean, this is life now. So figure out a way for it to be bearable for you. If you're angry at all the shitheads at work, but also angry at someone most of the rest if the time, you probably need to talk to someone. If it's just this particular employer and the people who work for them, you're gonna. Have to be doing something for money for a good long time, so either figure out a way (that isn't alcohol/other substances) to be okay with it for a few decades, or strongly consider doing something else that you think might be more bearable.

And also don't talk about the military to civilians. They won't get it and they'll just annoy you, and it will hinder your ability to just be another co-worker.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Make sure you cover up that big USMC moto tat on your forearm. I know you have one.

mad_Thick
Aug 4, 2014

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah. I mean, this is life now. So figure out a way for it to be bearable for you. If you're angry at all the shitheads at work, but also angry at someone most of the rest if the time, you probably need to talk to someone. If it's just this particular employer and the people who work for them, you're gonna. Have to be doing something for money for a good long time, so either figure out a way (that isn't alcohol/other substances) to be okay with it for a few decades, or strongly consider doing something else that you think might be more bearable.

And also don't talk about the military to civilians. They won't get it and they'll just annoy you, and it will hinder your ability to just be another co-worker.

The issue really is that I have no respect for working in corporate America. I landed this position through a military internship program the firm has to recruit more veterans. The pay and benefits are great. But the work is so soulless, insignificant, and I was sold a false bill of goods, so to speak. I cannot understand how people waste their lives doing this sort of work. There are people who've been in this line of business for 10, 20, 30 years?! That is mind blowing to me. There are a few poor young schmucks fresh out of college, around the age of 22 who are spending the best years of their lives sitting on their asses for 9+ hours a day.

I have no interest in this lifestyle. I've missed the military life ever since I left. There were plenty of lovely times in the Corp, but at least it didn't cause crippling depression.

I had an OCS packet for the Army, but their sheer incompetence has made me re-think going with them. So, I spoke with a Marine recruiter to discuss options to re-enlist. I'll be sitting down with him tomorrow. I know here in GiP we're all too cool for the military now, but that is the lifestyle I still dream of. I've thought through all the dozen of those routes I can take in my life, but in the end, I'm still going to have that burning desire to lead Marines.

Why don't I do Marine OCS? Well, I'm 30 now which means I'll need about 25 pullups and drat close to an 18min 3 mile to be competitive for OCS. I'm not quite there yet, and due to this crippling depression from this job, I find it very difficult to muster the motivation to do much of anything. Sitting on my rear end for 9+ hours a day in this environment is really starting to gently caress up my body and mind.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
You can always work in construction. Be outdoors, do physical labor, tell dirty jokes, deal with ignorant bald heads, all the misery of the military except you can quit whenever you want.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Look into a job that actually has a purpose and the end result of your hard work is visible. I was in somewhat of a similar situation as you, I did 8 months of managerial nursing and would go home and consider what the gently caress I was doing with my life trying to manage 50+ employee's over the most stupid, mundane and asinine poo poo. People getting upset because Becky won't accept a shift trade and she has tickets to see Gwen Stefani and it's just not fair and she'll complain blah blah blah..loving petty poo poo like that or people who are completely content with going to work, doing mundane work, going home and watching prime time T.V and repeating every day.

There's jobs out there that have an actual purpose where you can see the fruits of your labor and where you can feel good about an honest days work. Those also tend to be more labor intensive, which weeds out a lot of the people who's sole purpose in life is to occupy a cubicle, collect a paycheck, get super excited about the next Game of Thrones season and feel that celebrity gossip is more important than current political and geographical issues which have actual real world consequences.

case in point:
Firefighting is not the military but it's similar. There's a huge bond between engine crews that was similar to what I saw in the army, along with the bullshit we love to hate from the brass and stupid policies because some hose jockey thought it would be hilarious to slide down the station fire pole in a banana hammock or some stupid poo poo and scuffed up his nuts *this is true*. poo poo, I have a couple friends who are hot shots and while it's back breaking work they make a drat good wage and essentially work out and save forests. The end result is a large swath of land and local towns not burnt to a crisp because of their blood and sweat fighting the fire.

I'm not necessarily the one who's track record allows for me to say "don't get back in"... poo poo I tried for marine OCS twice, once at the age of 28 and once at 31. My goal was reserves because I miss my time in the army, the people *to an extent* and the lifestyle... But it's also not a permanent solution. At some point, the military says they're done with us, and we get thrown back into the civilian life and have to make do. Corporate america isn't black and white across the entire employment spectrum, and you might just need to look at another avenue of employment that you can jive with rather than being a corporate drone.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 4, 2018

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

mad_Thick posted:

The issue really is that I have no respect for working in corporate America. I landed this position through a military internship program the firm has to recruit more veterans. The pay and benefits are great. But the work is so soulless, insignificant, and I was sold a false bill of goods, so to speak. I cannot understand how people waste their lives doing this sort of work. There are people who've been in this line of business for 10, 20, 30 years?! That is mind blowing to me. There are a few poor young schmucks fresh out of college, around the age of 22 who are spending the best years of their lives sitting on their asses for 9+ hours a day.

This really describes most of the Corps, too, though. And just the entire military in general.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Yeah, I mean a lot of corporate America IS soulless and full of poo poo (but as Internet Wizard says, so's most of the Corps.). Can't argue with you there.

I work in a stupid soulless corporate job too now, so it's not like I have it all figured out. It sounds like you miss physical activity and the team aspect of being in. So look for stuff that has that. Firefighters are a prime example. Also any skilled building trade (electrician, HVAC, plumbing) might help. Hell, maybe medical stuff if you can go do work in places that need those resources, though that probably won't pay well.

I definitely had the feeling that what I was doing mattered a lot more in the Corps. But I think a lot of that was just what I told myself as a young man. Getting high on the superficial respect of society, as it were. Looking at the places I deployed, it's not like they're better off, for the most part. Still, a large part of adapting back to civilian life is that a lot of it really doesn't matter as much. The stakes are usually a LOT lower. It's only ever gonna be what you choose to make it be.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

On a serious note, have you ever thought about being a firefighter with the Navy or Army/National Guard? I see them out on every fire I've worked at. They also seem to be the happiest military people I see there. Air Guard guys on the other hand are usually the saddest people I've ever met on fire, aside from other guys from thr CCC.

Hell, if you love the work but hate the bullshit, USFS/NPS/BLM/FWS look for vets. I'd recommend shying away from engine crews federally if the physical aspect of your job is all important to you. One of my buddies works for a USFS rig and told me that his work consisted of 3-4 hours of busting rear end and then 12 of twiddling your thumbs. My contractor best friend is on a hand crew and Will Not Shut Up about how swinging a pulaski is the best thing ever because he works soooo haaaard.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I've got 18 years at doing this Marine thing and my best days are the ones where I sit at my son's soccer practice talking with other parents and pretending I am a normal person with a normal job. Stick around the military for any length of time and it turns into the same soul crushing grind you are experiencing in corporate america. You don't get to spend your entire career doing all the fun stuff you see in the recruiting commercials and the further up the ranks you get the less time you get to move away from your desk. I stood duty with a LtCol last week who had just got pulled from his tour as an infantry battalion commander to be staff. He checked in on that Monday and was standing duty with me on Saturday. I also work with a Recon Major who did MECP as an infantryman and became a Recon Officer right before MARSOC became a thing. Now he sits in a vault in our HQ and pretends like his contributions to planning actually make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
In a similar position here getting paid to browse reddit for 7 hours a day "working" for the city. I'm actively looking for work that is more hands on and outdoors. Like everyone else said firefighting appeals to a lot of people in your situation, I've done (urban) EMS and there was definitely far more job satisfaction than what I do now (at a third of the wages) even though I knew I didn't want to make it a career. Currently I'm looking into operating underwater drones for researchers which I hope will be a good mix of working outdoors and hands on as well as intellectually engaging.

As far as going back into the military I'm going to echo not doing that. I just picked up staff at the beginning of the year and basically all I do now is make phone calls and email people excel spreadsheets. I tried to do Marine OCS twice when I was 21 and 26 but both times the OST messed it up so when they called the third time I politely declined. I'm 28 and I'm not willing to put the time in to be competitive for that anymore.

If you're still missing parts of the military camaraderie and stuff I *do* recommend the reserves. It's still the military so there's plenty of dumb poo poo to go around but for the most part you're untouchable for 28 days out of the month where you can grow a beard and do whatever. You still get to hang out with Marines and even do the occasional deployment or ADOS if that's your thing. Plus you will be on a Non-Obligatory contract which means that you can just leave pretty much whenever you want to, a lot of guys coming off active duty drill once or twice before remembering that they hate this poo poo and leaving. I've been doing it for 8 years and while there are plenty of aspects of it I don't like I would consider it to be the best of both worlds as far as the military and civilian life balance. As one of the guys who just checked back in said "I'm here for the clowns, not for the circus."

edit: The reserves definitely will not give you a sense of accomplishment or meaning because we mostly just sit around waiting for our turn to be checked off of the medical/dental/legal/urinalysis/whatever roster at my unit (6th Comm). I would only recommend it if it makes sense financially for reserve Tricare or if you miss hanging out and bullshitting with Marines. Of course some reserve units do more than others but some are also definitely more hosed up than mine.

DaNerd fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 4, 2018