Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bbf2 posted:

You've never heard of Ron Artest? Even if you don't follow basketball you should have heard about the time a basketball player went into the stands and punched a fan in the face and basically started a riot

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=267s&v=gQIIOWPNYM0

Artest later legally changed his name to "Metta World Peace"

Metta World Peace is like the only thing that even remotely interests me about this shitshow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ika is loving mean. She got a positive take her first time through because she ended up getting screwed over by the bigger villains of the season and not only had the AMAZING letter scene but also Sabrina falsely accused her of threatening her and trying to shove her down the stairs and made such a big deal of it that BB had to review the tapes and announce to the cast that Sabrina was lying (which is what tanked Sabrina's game).

But before all that she was this cruel and evil mean girl who made Heather's life absolutely miserable and said some really heinous poo poo. Its just that she was saying that stuff with Sabrina and Neda and while Neda ended up feeling bad, becoming friends with Heather, and apologizing Ika ended up becoming the target of Sabrina and just became this funny victim.

But man... she's loving evil.

Edit: But it provided us this.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 2, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh dear God. this shitshow is on CNN...

Someone let me know if Omarasa suffers a terrible accident trying to convince OTEV that she never liked that orange guy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I totally knew Artest was going to bring the best from this mess.

I also read that Omarasa is already accusing everyone of hating her because she's black, so it sounds like she's on schedule.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I had no idea she had a talk shot. Man, does it piss me off that people seem to be buying into/helping her con job to rehab her image to sell books.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Man oh man I would be so amused if Omarosa's White House bombs got big enough to warrant actual media attention.

E: Oh my god Metta. Never change.

Ummm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ep332mMl1Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1RR8-MyB3k

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I decided to tune in because I had nothing better to watch.

So Omarosa gets cocky and fucks up her nominations leaving a vulnerable Brandi next to her target Ross. Brandi starts sabotaging her own game through stupidity and Mark and James realize they can't trust Omarosa and look to make a deal with Ross and Marissa. Wacky POV twists introduced to make everything crazy. And somehow Metta goes home because he's crazy?

This is either the worst episode of Big Brother ever or the best.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yer Burnt posted:

This is the best season of Big Brother in a long while, and that all would make better sense to us if you were recapping the live feeds ;)

I could think of it as another wasted HoH, or as getting more time to reshift alliances.

I mean, I'm not watching so I don't know what's REALLY happening but the narrative on that one episode I watched seemed to suggest Omarosa's only real ally was Metta and she went and put him on the block to go home. James and Mark both clearly said "we can't trust her" and Omarosa clearly took a big and public shot at the four person alliance and all four stayed in the house.

That sure seems like a disastrous HOH from my one episode watching perspective. Although it seems like Omarosa might be in position to be a goat. But again, I don't know what's really happening on feeds.

Granted Omarosa had no direct control over that overpowered POV or Brandi self destructing. But she did seem to antagonize Brandi and CO and she could have just not nominated Metta and put up the other two in that four. So it really seems like she came out of that HOH worse for wear.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 20, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Ultimately I think there's just too much unearned arrogance in a Celebrity edition for me. I mean, there's always a fair amount of that in any cast but there's also a lot of "what will you put up with for this opportunity." As far as I can tell the Celebrities got a shortened time, a ton of money, their own beds, no Have Nots, no sequestered Jury, lots of booze, and two of them still quit.

I guess ultimately there's a basic level of torture that draws me to BB. That or it just feels like a cast full of Frankies and Pauls.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Thinking about it more I think maybe part of it is that while I get why a lot of people really like the pace of this season and how it puts the game into FF, I think I'm just the opposite fan. My favorite part of a BB season is those first few weeks when there's a million people and relationships and alliances falling apart and forming every day and they have nothing to do but drive each other crazy. I tend to zone out towards the end when everything speeds up and its down to a half dozen people.

So I get why this is working for people, but I also think I get why it doesn't appeal to me.

But I also admit to a lifelong annoyance/resentment to celebrity/paparazzi culture and I think that's a big part of it.

Fast Luck posted:

I don't think Metta quit because he's got millions of dollars and didn't want to lower himself to staying in the Big Brother house. He quit because he is bona fide weird, he was literally climbing over the fences and running through the CBS lots. That's probably in part why they cast him, his other shenanigans that don't involve incessantly trying to quit got a lot of positive airtime on the show.

I am not knocking Metta. Full disclosure. I am roughly the same age as Metta, I drat near went to the same high school as him, I watched him play ball in Washington Heights and the Bronx (and against my school), even met him in passing a few times (and he was always a cool dude), and he made me a lifelong St. John's fan. So there was a reason I said at the start of this he was the one reason I was even considering watching. He's a bit of a childhood... hero? Way better than me contemporary? I don't know. I just have always been interested in the guy.

Just to be clear, I'm not judging the individuals. Following Artest/Metta's career I get why the BB House might not have been a great place for him and might have been driving him crazy. And as I understanding it Rudy quit because she missed her newborn? I don't think BB is a major obligation and those are drat good reasons to want out. I just think that while I don't feel like they should have a moral obligation to the game/tv show in the big picture, I kinda need a little of that built into my enjoyment. For whatever that says about me.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 21, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Fast Luck posted:

I don't like "bitter juries" but I also do think there ought to occasionally be consequences for sizable betrayals and that players who were emotionally hurt shouldn't be compelled to throw that out the window and vote robotically.

Some would call that "Jury Management."

edit: I know very little about this season but I know all the really vile parts of the BB fanbase loved this season but hated Marissa intensely so it makes me laugh to hear she won. I have no idea if she deserved it or not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Derrick basically mastered Jury Management and basically sparked a whole new phrase into the reality show lexicon of "Let Death Take You". Meanwhile Paul is basically BB's answer to Russell in terms of bad Jury Management and while neither Nicole nor Josh were exactly masters at it they both did a much better job mending bad relationships and showing other players respect while Paul just burned everything down and berated people on their way out the door.

Steve was more of the "friendly floater" but I mean, that speaks directly to Jury Management in a lot of ways where he went out of his way not to burn people (arguably too far to the point of being a "floater" for the first half of the game, but he did have a messy Double Eviction HOH that he managed through and got the votes of all the people he betrayed). I'd also argue that Liz would have had a stronger case against him if she had done better Jury Management but she allowed herself to be defined by her sister and Austin so didn't get any respect despite the fact that she had actually won a bunch and made a number of big moves.

Like, I'm not saying anything about this season. I have no idea what Marissa and Ross did besides broad notes about them seeming to "play the middle" most of the season between Ari/Grande and Mark/Other Guy. I also think this wasn't really comparable to a BB season since it was so short and there was no sequestered Jury so the mechanics of "management" are way, way different. On a practical level I assume Ross would have had a harder time with this than on a regular season because not only was everything so raw and soon after his betrayals but most of the Jurors were able to go home and find out whatever he said or did, which we haven't had on BB since BB3's Danielle's "bitter jury" (and that's a good case where I absolutely think Dani SHOULD have won and WOULD have won if the Jury had been sequestered, but ultimately she lost the game she played because she pissed people off).

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Feb 26, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was vague vibe from the little I saw. Ross seemed to be playing a very snakey game and that's tough. You usually have to come clean on that to get the Jury vote and like, Nicole did and Andy to a lesser extent. While Paul refused to do it twice and his jury scores show the result.

But Ross definitely would have had a harder time in theory since everything would have been more raw and people would have seen the truth. But that's a big reason why he should have come clean if he didn't. Most of them were gonna know your sins so you might as well lay them out there and own them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as I believe strongly in "Jury Management" and always get into these debates I also kind of think they're pointless because a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that some fans think Player X should have won and played the best game and no amount of Jury Management talk will dissuade them. So there's definitely people who think that it doesn't matter how many times Paul berated someone, lied to them needlessly, sabotaged their games, or bullied and made their lives miserable... if he made the best "strategic" moves some fans will say he deserves to win regardless of what the Jury says.

I personally think that's just choosing to ignore part of the game that's inconvenient to a preferred type of player, but after 20 years of Survivor and Big Brother no one's mind is really going to change on that, I don't think. If given a chance Paul would probably play a 3rd game the exact same way and keep saying he just needs a cast who "respects the game" enough to leave feelings at the door. Its a philosophy at this stage.

In the end enjoy the game as its played and if you don't like that the jury decides the winner, then don't invest in the winner. Its the only real option.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

But it would also imply I finally have an ally that Liz got robbed!

Kidding. Mostly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh. Not knowing specifics about Ross and this Jury the thing thing that bothers me about that argument is that Jury Management doesn't happen when they're in the Jury, it happens before they get evicted. Whether they find out you lied to them from the show or other jurors its still about doing what you can to minimize the anger and sense of betrayal about that.

If you run your game on making people feel real emotional trust with you then its going to get bloody when you burn them.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 2, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, that's the kind of just stupid jury management that creates "bitter juries." It doesn't matter if she learns it from the show or if she just learns it from everyone else telling her the truth. That's kind of poo poo Paul tried to do. Lie about that kind of poo poo and assume that everyone would trust him even when the jury was comparing notes and all piecing together the real story. He just assumed he could lie his way to the bitter end, and I'm not sure anyone's ever pulled that off.

I also saw some clip where James was saying he was going to vote for Ross until Ross took credit for a bunch of poo poo he didn't do including a HOH that James threw to him. Its one thing to lie to "players" but lying to "jurors" is just bad. You gotta figure out when a player becomes a juror and then stop lying.

That's why the BB16 cast claim they would have given Victoria a win over Cody (I don't totally believe them but, the sentiment is still there). Because Cody never knew when to stop lying and thought he could charm his way out of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll definitely defer to you on that, but ultimately if James was known to have an ego that should have been something Ross should have considered. But I honestly only know the post show conversation they had on Julie Chen's talk show.

• Locked thread