Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Detective James Little, FPD

James shakes his head sadly at the ruined body on the ground. "Jeez, what a mess. What kind of animal could do this to another human being? Makes me sick." And there it went again: that little twinge of fear in his gut that this was going to be the first of many unless they could catch this killer. Some guys back in homicide had nightmares about the murders they couldn't solve. James had nightmares about getting a case where bodies just keep piling up and every lead is a dead end. Bad enough to be unable to solve a single murder, but knowing that there's a predator out there, beyond your reach...

He shakes off the introspection and crosses the tape behind Charlotte, gives a nod to the ME, and starts examining the scene. No touching, just looking, turning it over in his mind, looking for anything that jumps out at him beyond the obvious. A flayed corpse surrounded by sigils was weird, but he couldn't let those distract him. There had to be clues to what actually happened, signs that would give him trails to follow up on later.

Looking for anything unusual (Wits+Investigation+Crime Scenes): 6d10o10h8 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

The details of the occult had never been James' strong point. The only source he had for most of this stuff was the Union forums, and you had to take everything you read on there with a whole shaker of salt. The trouble with getting together a bunch of regular joes and janes to fight the supernatural was that nobody actually knew that much about what they were fighting. With that in mind, he elects to leave his discovery to the real experts. He crosses back over the tape and starts heading for the hikers, passing by Benny, Sheridan, and Hawes. He pauses to give Hawes a nod of greeting and let them in on his next move.

"Some kind of powder in that bag. It was buried with a coyote skull and a piece of human skin with the same symbols on it. No clue what it means, but it definitely means something. We'll have to take a look at it back at the lab. In the meantime, I was gonna go try to get a preliminary statement out of the hikers, if any of you wanted to come along."

Moving on, he headed over to the hikers, pulling a notepad and pen out of his pocket. "Hey, I'm Detective Little, homicide. Sorry you had to see something like this. If you're feeling up to it, I'd really appreciate it if you could give me your names and a preliminary statement. When did you find the body? Did you hear or see anyone or anything else unusual in the area, today or otherwise? There's no detail too unimportant to mention."

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

James looks back and winces when he realizes she saw the skull. Seeing something like that was just going to get these people more worked up, which was going to make getting any kind of useful information out of them even harder. Then again, maybe that was the point? Plenty of witnesses were shaken up, and odds are these people really didn't know anything of interest. On the other hand, there were plenty of times when witnesses just wanted you to think they were too worked up to tell you anything. Especially when they knew something they shouldn't. It was his job to tell the difference so that he didn't waste time on dead end leads. Were they holding anything back, or was the rambling praise-Jesus act real? He needed to keep her talking to get a read on her.

"Yeah, sorry you had to see this. I've been a cop for a long time, and the evil some people perpetrate never ceases to shock me. Is there anything at all that stood out to you about the area? Did you see or hear anything odd out here, before you found the body?"

Sense Deception (Wits+Empathy+Specialization): 6d10o10h8 2

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Feb 10, 2018

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Yep, I'm done.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I'm still around and ready to go

• Locked thread