Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

lmao one hundred million americans missed housing payments in july

Holy poo poo. There are only like 130 million households in the usa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stack Machine posted:

Holy poo poo. There are only like 130 million households in the usa.

well, its not 100 million households. i mean theyre reporting 1/3 of people missed their payments.

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
Oh... That's still really hosed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Stack Machine posted:

Oh... That's still really hosed.

did you see the articles projecting 28% of housed people will become homeless by september?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

C Rona Theater S:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

fart simpson posted:

lmao one hundred million americans missed housing payments in july

jesus christ

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

good thing the state has had the george floyd protests to practice finding the exact limit of how much police brutality they can order without facing consequences

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

cjs: there was a patch release to prod on 06/29 that updated the url to point to a new lookup. this lookup was based off an old endpoint that isn't used anymore, FartsButts, instead of the one we were currently using, FartButt. this has caused a nonstop cascade of bugs coming in and now we have meetings with leads and management to figure out what to do. the team in charge of the lookups said they could get it probably looked at in a week. also our dev environments have been consistently down since july 4 so no one knew what was going on until last friday. i have a feeling this is going to be a working weekend (but not for me lol)

edit: correction i guess the lookups team doesn't do patch releases all of a sudden so we get to wait until the end of the month, fun

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 14, 2020

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cjs: just had my performance review. they want to promote me again and used this perf review to line me up with what i need to do to get it for next year. for those at home that will be associate -> senior -> principal and now senior principal in five years

i brought up that i was more concerned about my comp and he acknowledged the situation again then started managing expectations that i shouldn't expect much of a raise this year. i've gotten 9% every year i've been here but have gotten promoted faster than those raises could keep up with the payband so i'm still well below where i should be. poo poo sucks but i'm also pretty well paid all things considered so i can't complain too much about it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
werent you gettin paid sub6figs for a while? how you doin on the comp

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol five years

i mean i'm not making GBS threads on you. i just literally cannot visualize life in five years

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

cjs: laid off

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i'm sorry buddy. file for unemployment today. not joking

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

yeah i think i read that cocaine mitch is going to ruin the unemployment funding

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

rip :(

good luck on the job hunt

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Roosevelt posted:

yeah i think i read that cocaine mitch is going to ruin the unemployment funding
it expires end of july

senate is out of sesh till like end of august and they have steadfastly said they aren't going to renew the additional funding because "we cant pay people more to not work than they're paid to work! GET A JOB". mitch has said any bill must provide 100% legal liability protection for schools/businesses against COVID claims, which is absolutely getting included into whatever garbage they pass next.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

bummer :(

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

gently caress. not officially related to the unfortunate stuff that was making you look bad lately i hope?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cat Face Joe posted:

☹️

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bob dobbs is dead posted:

werent you gettin paid sub6figs for a while? how you doin on the comp

i started here at about 85 and i'm at 125 now. just my billing pulls in about a half a million a year and the licenses way more than that but that's the sales team. each time i got promoted i became the lower bound on glassdoor and pulled the average comp down. my comp should be about 150-160 base. THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GIVE A FUCKIN NUMBER and i'm still kicking myself for doing it. got all the way to the end of the interview process / got to the job offer stage and slipped at the last chat with hr. it's been holding back my salary ever since because my boss can only do percentages from then on.

Jonny 290 posted:

lol five years

i mean i'm not making GBS threads on you. i just literally cannot visualize life in five years

yeah everything about the job is great and i don't plan on leaving. if the job / management wasn't good i would have bailed years ago. my salary is just under by enough that i grumble about it a bit but won't leave unless it's for a dream job

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cat Face Joe posted:

gently caress, man. condolences. i feel like this year is gonna be the inverse of :yotj:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

thanks all

Jonny 290 posted:

i'm sorry buddy. file for unemployment today. not joking

yeah, gonna do that in a bit here

Uptime Sinclair posted:

gently caress. not officially related to the unfortunate stuff that was making you look bad lately i hope?

no, just bad times. apparently everyone was of the opinion i was doing great so I guess it was all in my head??

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/byHeatherLong/status/1282737855866036225

lol

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

last time we had fdr as pres to help see us through that though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
we are just starting to get a glimpse of the bad part of this whole situation

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

rotor posted:

oh yeah i got a slow period finding working so i gotta do the fast period finding, an insane pile of interminable weird number theoretic poo poo, then shors will be a go

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

rotor posted:

its great to know that if everyone took it seriously and had a shred of discipline we could clean this all up fairly quickly

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Cat Face Joe posted:

poo poo :(

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh yeah i got a slow period finding working so i gotta do the fast period finding, an insane pile of interminable weird number theoretic poo poo, then shors will be a go

i watched Sneakers (1992 film) last night and it made me think of you.

it would be cool if your thing worked

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

america is uniquely unsuitable - both organizationally, legally and culturally - to handle a crisis like this well. Trump did not help, but it always would have been really bad.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Cat Face Joe posted:

no, just bad times. apparently everyone was of the opinion i was doing great so I guess it was all in my head??
well at least there’s that for reference purposes etc. sorry to hear it though.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

rotor posted:

i'm really not looking forward to the college students coming back

Oswald Kesselpot
Jan 14, 2008

HONK HONK HONK

PIZZA.BAT posted:

THIS IS WHY YOU DON'T GIVE A FUCKIN NUMBER
I honestly always thought this was bullshit when I was on the tech side of things, but since I have been on the management side I can tell you that this is great advice. Don't give a number unless you absolutely have too. But at the same time, always know what the position you are interviewing for is worth, and how much you would accept to do the job. And don't loving low ball! We had a PM that low balled their salary requirements when our HR dept. asked, and I had to fight with HR to give that person an offer for more money so that they wouldn't leave as soon as they realized they were getting significantly underpaid.

Also, don't be afraid to counter offer, if the situation presents itself. I cant speak for how anywhere else in the world does it, but at my place we have a specific range that we are willing to pay, and we will almost always offer low to mid range so that we can accept a counter offer, or at least raise our original number some while still staying within the allotted amount.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PIZZA.BAT posted:

cjs: just had my performance review. they want to promote me again and used this perf review to line me up with what i need to do to get it for next year. for those at home that will be associate -> senior -> principal and now senior principal in five years

nice! here the seniority is so ossified that promotions are almost impossible to get--everyone in my cohort has been promoted at most once and the next level up is filled with lifers with 15+ years with the company

at least they adjusted salaries up once a major acquisition cleared (because they knew if we found out how much more employees of that acquisition were paid than we were we'd riot)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

good word

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

america is uniquely unsuitable - both organizationally, legally and culturally - to handle a crisis like this well. Trump did not help, but it always would have been really bad.

yep

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the problem as always is not enough 50 story soulless concrete apartment buildings

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

the problem as always is Americans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

its when you open source something