Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Another illustration, this time a spot for my rpg campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1007376500235042817

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Lily swan.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

gently caress I'm tired. Why does it always gotta be midnight when I do this crap.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1007387336236290048

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Just a work in progress, but today I took a break from trying to make comics happen and started trying to make this happen instead.

I really love your style, it's a really nice balance between painting and drawing! Super classy palette as well.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah that's a smooth palette.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Thanks guys! Still a work in progress, but I've solidified where it's going now, I think:

Propitious Jerk posted:

Another illustration, this time a spot for my rpg campaign.

This style is really cool.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks! I really like the new direction you took your painting, The symmetrical geometry of the archway is a good contrast to the abstract organic shapes on the reflected surface and the figure's pose is way more dynamic and has a nice bouncy animation.

Here's a wip for a friend's game: Elf anatomy and mesoamerican inspired clothing.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Feeling a bit too lazy to clean this up but for a little stress reliever/side project I feel good enough about it to be done with it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Looks for cel shaded. Almost like a 3d render.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
playing around with a bunch of diff techniques

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I look at that blue and all I can think is "normal map". I think my brain is broken.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1007839164878983168

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I feel like every other week I'll be disatissfied with the basic "style" I use in most of my drawings and try to figure some other way to make me like my lineart more but it never works.

I really like to looser, sketchy styles other people have. But whenever I try that myself it just looks like a mess.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Propitious Jerk posted:

Here's a wip for a friend's game: Elf anatomy and mesoamerican inspired clothing.

:wotwot: Mmm, what have we here? Hmhmhm yes, you see, I am a bit of an Elf Connoisseur so I know about these sorts of things. Let's see ..bold, strong, powerful with a hint of rebellion. Yes. I usually prefer my elves with a bit more "empowerment" if you know what I mean, but this is a fine vintage-in-making. I cannot wait for it to mature so we may enjoy it fully.

Mine's a messy thiefling.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I feel like every other week I'll be disatissfied with the basic "style" I use in most of my drawings and try to figure some other way to make me like my lineart more but it never works.

I really like to looser, sketchy styles other people have. But whenever I try that myself it just looks like a mess.

Effectively capturing form with quick gestural drawing is a skill that is built upon a lot of other techniques and a lot of repetition. Don't let yourself get too discouraged over things like "style". Your work will naturally have its own unique look defined by your process and aesthetics and it'll become more refined over time and with practice. If you'd like to get better at quick gestural sketching I would suggest using some good old charcoal or pencils and some cheap as hell pads of newsprint paper to draw from life. Use a large sheet of paper so you can draw with your whole arm, rather than your wrist. Use cheap paper so you're not worried about making a mess. Pick a single subject, either a person or a reasonably complex object and draw it again and again from different angles. Give yourself a time limit of about 30 seconds for each drawing and gradually increase the time limit as you become more familiar with what you're drawing. Do this 30-50 times per subject. Your early sketches will inevitably look like haphazard messes but should improve over time and doing this on a weekly basis should help build up muscle memory for rendering different shapes and forms with line and value.

edit: (extremely rough) Sketch of the day:

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 16, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Alternative: accept that you are flawed, that your art will always be flawed to your eyes, and succumb to the void learn to enjoy the joyrney (I'm leaving this typo intact because it's the best typo I've ever done).

Talking of flawed, so is this orc and they're making it work for them:

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1008120876183834624

folder
Oct 9, 2016
https://twitter.com/hello_folder/status/1008108639356416000

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'm going on another trip and I wanted to try travel sketching with watercolor for the first time (previously I was just using pencil and pen), so here's some practice I did using photos as reference.

Stuff I haven't figured out:

1. What's a good palette material for mixing watercolor (mine are pan) on? The plastic and metallic surfaces I have don't seem to be ideal since there's so much water diluting it, so the water just clumps together. Is mixing colors on a palette even a thing, or do you just let that poo poo blend on the paper?

2. I also dabbed some white gouache on the palette, thinking I could leave it there because as far as I know gouache can be reactivated, but even in the 30 minutes I allotted myself for the sketch, it not only dried up but was all hard like it was acrylic. It definitely says gouache and not acrylic gouache on the tube, so what's up with that?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
work in progress

edit: final

Al! fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 17, 2018

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

folds are bullshit

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Agreedo, I find heavy fabric folds difficult to pull off and usually just end up going the random colliding geometry and squiggles route when working without an image source.

Al! posted:

work in progress

This is really cool! I'm always impressed by the animation projects that get posted. I've tried some basic stuff in After Effects for a school course and I find I lack the patience for anything more than moving shapes around.

I'm still on a dark fantasy kick, I like drawing monsters because I don't have to be as exact with facial proportions and can just sort of mash shapes together until I get something that makes some sense, like this collection of triangles - I mean, vampire.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Al! posted:

work in progress

Original is better. Nice mood.

Here is the "daily" thing.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

It looks like a mess because you're trying to copy the end result without understanding the process behind how the artist chose to make the lines that they did. Style comes naturally as you draw more and learn how to define shapes with different lines, forcing or imitating a "style" too early can lead you to taking visual shortcuts without understanding why they exist (think of all the terrible amateur anime-style drawings out there that have a frontal mouth on a sideways face for an example of where this can lead).

You may not realize it or feel like it, but you're already on your way to developing your own style because you're doing a lot of things right at the moment: drawing often, attempting new techniques like drawing without lines, and attempting both portraits and full-scale scenes with backgrounds from complicated and challenging points of view. Your work may not be where you want it right now, but you're on your way to somewhere interesting and cool so long as you keep it up. My advice would be to get a sketchbook and pencil and add in physical media to your practice as well, and maybe some pens or a brush and ink. No better way to learn a new way of making lines than to use a medium that forces you to make lines differently.

Maybe this will be sticker at some point?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Argue posted:

1. What's a good palette material for mixing watercolor (mine are pan) on? The plastic and metallic surfaces I have don't seem to be ideal since there's so much water diluting it, so the water just clumps together. Is mixing colors on a palette even a thing, or do you just let that poo poo blend on the paper?

Not figured out this one myself - mixing large amounts of colour in particular is a bitch. What I'm gonna try (when I remember) is just asking in the local art shop. Are you using half pans or full? I think brush size might be relevant, and small pans generally lead to small brushes.

quote:

Style
Last year a friend commented on my 'style', I was like 'omg I finally have a style'. Seconding the folks saying it'll happen naturally, and to try different mediums.

E: also, making a mess is ok, think of it as an experiment. Take what works, ditch what doesn't.

lofi fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 18, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Not figured out this one myself - mixing large amounts of colour in particular is a bitch. What I'm gonna try (when I remember) is just asking in the local art shop. Are you using half pans or full? I think brush size might be relevant, and small pans generally lead to small brushes.

Last year a friend commented on my 'style', I was like 'omg I finally have a style'. Seconding the folks saying it'll happen naturally, and to try different mediums.

E: also, making a mess is ok, think of it as an experiment. Take what works, ditch what doesn't.

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.... or... you can't recognize what looks good without making a mess first etc.

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

sigma 6 posted:

You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.... or... you can't recognize what looks good without making a mess first etc.

You can’t make an omelette until you know what eggs are! Or something!

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
New illustration starting to take shape!

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I guess I'm back doing late night sketches. Ah well. Here's an italian-looking lady.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1008835145888157697

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 18, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Fukken Niiiiiiiiice. I am also a Vampire Connoisseur and I love the sense of movement here.

I went back to the marginalia animals, just look at this cat:

I had to draw it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey all, just a heads up that we now have a general chat thread, come chat generally!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1009140274910679040
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1009140393135542274

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

lofi posted:

Hey all, just a heads up that we now have a general chat thread, come chat generally!

Cool idea!

Shinmera posted:

I guess I'm back doing late night sketches. Ah well. Here's an italian-looking lady.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1008835145888157697

Nice work with the hand and hair here but the eyes are freaking me out. Slit pupils make the eyes look snake like. I have noticed it a lot in your work but this one really stands out. She looks a little crosseyed too.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Maybe its a snake in a skinsuit. Ever think of that???

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

sigma 6 posted:

Nice work with the hand and hair here but the eyes are freaking me out. Slit pupils make the eyes look snake like. I have noticed it a lot in your work but this one really stands out. She looks a little crosseyed too.

I'm fine with the slit pupils, but yeah the cross-eyedness is due to a perspective weirdness that I couldn't quite get figured out. I spent a good amount fiddling around with that eye trying to get it done right and had to give up in the end.

Went to play Billiards today, so here's a gruffy Billiards player.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1009187623875895297

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Looks like you just need to reverse the pupil camera right and maybe drop the whole eye down a touch to match the tilt of the subject's head. When in doubt take a selfie of your own face in a similar posture to get an idea of how everything lines up, it'll save you a lot of trial and error.

Sketch of the day:

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Propitious Jerk posted:

Sketch of the day:

this is really rad

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost posted:

this is really rad

I agree.

Also, figure drawing last night.