Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1009520478459957250

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1009558722148876288

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
I got Sunless Sea for free when I bought other games on Gog and of course I've now played it more than the actual adventure games and went and bought the DLC too. Good marketing strategy.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love the ambiance on sunless sea - that music when you pull into home port on your last dregs of fuel, and it's warm and safe and light and now the crew can but won't stop eating each other. I didn't have the patience to explore a lot of the game, but yeah, it's really good. Rats or hamsters?

Today's effort - a really cool street-drummer using the pavement, gates, old tubs. He had a fun thing of following people walking out the station, drumming behind them. It's not great by itself, but I'm kinda pleased with it because he was moving so much, to get anything down was a fun challenge. Think I'm gonna make a habit of drawing buskers (and make sure I've got some cash on me to pay them for it.) Also drawing in fountain pen is the best for forcing you to think about every mark you make.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I got Sunless Sea for free when I bought other games on Gog and of course I've now played it more than the actual adventure games and went and bought the DLC too. Good marketing strategy.

oh man i love sunless sea and have played so many hours of it and feel like i haven't even explored half the content.

right now ive been too angry to draw because politics.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

good garg friend

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I spent over a week on this on and off. Absolutely not worth that much time but at least I finished it instead of giving up due to a lack of motivation.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jun 21, 2018

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

I love the ambiance on sunless sea - that music when you pull into home port on your last dregs of fuel, and it's warm and safe and light and now the crew can but won't stop eating each other. I didn't have the patience to explore a lot of the game, but yeah, it's really good. Rats or hamsters?

IKR? It's like my zailors just can't wait to take any excuse to stuff their faces full of warm sweet manflesh.
Guinea-pigs FOR LYFE. I tried the rats once and told them to treat the cavies nice and they said "pft, the gently caress you know? in the slums they go!" and I got a sad.

Since I'm still talking about the game, maybe peep this blemmigan gallivanter:

Goddamn I even like just thinking the words blemmigan gallivanter. Wouldn't feel out of place in Wonderland.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That's a loving cute mushroom/seajelly/whatever

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Threw this together today.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Sorry for not posting lately. I've spent the past few weeks in a pretty hosed mental state that all but sapped me of the will to draw. Thankfully changes were made and stability is slowly returning to this place.

Let's celebrate with dumb cartoons.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Came out of star trek doodle paradin', but Cardassians as full-bore lizards scratches is pretty freakin fun as it turns out.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1010217531506855936

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Finished up the value sketch and bonus cyborg thingy.

edit:

Pentaro posted:

Let's celebrate with dumb cartoons.

Glad to have you back. This has a really pleasing economy of line.

Pick posted:

Came out of star trek doodle paradin', but Cardassians as full-bore lizards scratches is pretty freakin fun as it turns out.

Nice to see some of your polished drawing, the scales on lizard Garak? and Dukat? have a really solid weight to them and I like the subtle expressions.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 22, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
This went too soft.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Lizard looks well pissed off about running into that glass door ;)

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I just luv broken faces so much

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I thought I'd try and see if doing fanart gets me more views. Also I'm feeling good about my lighting lately.

These are rad

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Propitious Jerk posted:

Nice to see some of your polished drawing, the scales on lizard Garak? and Dukat? have a really solid weight to them and I like the subtle expressions.

Thanks! Yeah it's Garak and Dukat, kind of tricky because I was trying to think of the overall "species" design as well as how each would look within that. I'm glad that the volume came across in the scales, I enjoy drawing reptiles and though I don't always nail it, I like to think I'm doing them some credit! Such cool animals.

Just in case anyone is curious though, this isn't an inked-over sketch, although an inked version would look pretty similar. For some reason I really like to refine a sketch on the same layer. It's a habit I picked up from the old days when Opencanvas was new (I switch between Opencanvas and Mangastudio for digital work) because Opencanvas had the ability to record your drawing process, and many members of the community would upload a video of their process, long before Livestreaming your work was common. It's something I wish more programs would do, because it's hugely informative for how someone works, AND it allowed you to go back to any stage of your drawing process and begin again from wherever you started loving it up. If only oil painting had that :suicide:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2018

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I thought I'd try and see if doing fanart gets me more views. Also I'm feeling good about my lighting lately.

The unfortunate part about getting more views on fanart is that the viewers you get only come for that specific thing, and unless their interests already align with the rest of your stuff, they're not gonna care about it. The positive is that you got the skill to make great fanart - I mean, that Nick is cool af - so you can make a career drawing nothing but re-imagined Disney princesses. With bad luck though, you new fans will hang around forever, asking you over and over again "Can you draw HERB from Oh Yeah Cartoons (Nickelodeon)? Plz. You can find on YouTube with the key words: "oh yeah cartoons herb" The video have a duration of 6:53. HERB is a character color green and wear diapers."
gently caress you, diaper guy.

If you want more viewers, you can't just wait to be discovered, you might end up waiting for years. It actually takes a lot of time and work to build a fanbase, you gotta put yourself out there, engage a community, advertise yourself. Making connections who will recommend others to check out your work is vital.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I've been drawing fan art stuff on and off for years and still hardly get any recognition. :shrug:
So far of the little responses I have gotten, pretty much all of it has been nice and not-creepy, though that's on Tumblr. Back when I was on deviantArt I got responses much more frequently and quickly, but they were also mostly terrible, so I can't recommend it. Obviously this is just my story, so ymmv.

Propitious Jerk posted:

Looks like you just need to reverse the pupil camera right and maybe drop the whole eye down a touch to match the tilt of the subject's head. When in doubt take a selfie of your own face in a similar posture to get an idea of how everything lines up, it'll save you a lot of trial and error.

When I tried that myself I thought it looked like she was looking to the right, rather than ahead, but when I came back to your post the next day (and today) it looks correct. I don't know if that means the brain tumours are setting in, but thanks a lot for the correction either way!

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Yeah, what I've found is people generally don't stick around past one piece. I'm getting a lot more views than normal on this one, but just a couple new followers and a little better than average user page views (this is all on deviantart). I got a Daily Deviation awhile back but even that wasn't a huge gain.

I wanna get more involved in an art community, but I never know where to start.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1010634226952298496
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1010634344103337984

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I used to be active on deviantart when I was a teen, abandoned it for 15 years and tried going back, and just did not have the time or the patience to crawl my way to the top again.

You go on the chats where you can link your work and you advertise your stuff, then you tell everyone else linking their pics that their work is fantastic and that you love it and that you love them for making it. Leave good comments for everyone, especially active people and fave their stuff in the hopes that they will, in turn, look at yours. Be pleasant, helpful, kind and available. Do not get involved in drama. DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN DRAMA. Get a script that will give out llamas. THERE IS SO MUCH DRAMA AND SO MANY CHILDREN. Browse the new submitted stuff, try not to claw your eyes out, and comment on those. If you just search for random deviations to comment on you might get people who have not been active in forever.
In fact, I bet if you could make a bot that gives out general "good job!!!:DD" comments to everyone, you'd be popular in no time.

Know that even after a year of my more recent work, my most favourited, most viewed and most commented piece continues to be a 5-min pen sketch of an anime with huge tits with the words "jiggling action" in it.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Amen to that. DA seems like a pretty flooded market, a hell of a lot of very skilled artists there.

Today's effort, playing with gouache, going really oldschool colouring. It's like painting with thin mud (probably not helped by having to reconstitute old dried out tubs). Mixing colours is a bitch. I'm working on trying to pull my comic-drawing and life-drawing styles a bit closer together, at the moment they're not really helping each other that much.

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
^Excellent! Reminds me of Jene Giraud.

Fleshed (heh) out the helmet and skull sketch some more and added color to something for the first time in months. Kept most of my line work to help give the drawing some extra texture and keep that distressed feel.

I ended up using three layers; one for the black and white drawing, another for under painting and and a final layer for detail highlights and corrections. Here they are all separated out:

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 23, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

finally dragged myself back to art town

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Propitious Jerk posted:

Not at all an accident, and a big compliment, thanks! Moebius and Herge are seriously floating my boat at the moment, ligne claire makes me happy.

That skull looks sweet, I totally agree on keeping the linework - I wasn't sure if you were finished (I look at pretty pictures first, natch) and was actually going to suggest leaving it as-is if you were intending to polish it more. It's very 2000AD!

e:

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Yeah, what I've found is people generally don't stick around past one piece. I'm getting a lot more views than normal on this one, but just a couple new followers and a little better than average user page views (this is all on deviantart). I got a Daily Deviation awhile back but even that wasn't a huge gain.

Going back to this - I think what DA suffers from is having no real focus, or purpose. It feels like a giant gallery with everyone's stuff just shoved together, where the best you're likely to acheive is a circle-jerk with other artists. I've started being quite strict with posting art on social media and looking at it in terms of 'what do I want this to achieve?' and it's been an eye-opener as to how much social media is just making content and hoping for likes.

I'm still working on an actual solution.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 24, 2018

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Propitious Jerk posted:

Fleshed (heh) out the helmet and skull sketch some more and added color to something for the first time in months. Kept most of my line work to help give the drawing some extra texture and keep that distressed feel.

This is so loving good. I have another 10 minute bar portrait but I want to upload it when I can get to a scanner. Sad my surface book 2 won't go into tablet mode anymore. I never even got a chance to take it to any live drawing events. WTF Microsoft?!? I have only had it a few months.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

lofi posted:

Going back to this - I think what DA suffers from is having no real focus, or purpose. It feels like a giant gallery with everyone's stuff just shoved together, where the best you're likely to acheive is a circle-jerk with other artists. I've started being quite strict with posting art on social media and looking at it in terms of 'what do I want this to achieve?' and it's been an eye-opener as to how much social media is just making content and hoping for likes.

I'm still working on an actual solution.

I think Deviant Art and Instagram are great for posting process, musings and giving people a look at your workflow but your large projects and proudest works tend to get lost among everything else.

Getting a personal portfolio site you can curate and post your best works is also quite handy, even something with a higher signal to noise ratio like Behance. I've got a dusty old website I still shell out a bit of cash each month for hosting (mainly because it's tied to my freelance email) that I need to update since it's still filled with a bunch of crap from before I went back to school. Once I do, it'll give me more of an opportunity to have people click through social media postings and see a broad range of work.

It's also nice to go through my porfolio every six months or so and replace old (bad) images with new ones.

edit: maybe I should preface this spiel by saying that my end goal isn't so much to build follows but to get paid.

sigma 6 posted:

This is so loving good. I have another 10 minute bar portrait but I want to upload it when I can get to a scanner. Sad my surface book 2 won't go into tablet mode anymore. I never even got a chance to take it to any live drawing events. WTF Microsoft?!? I have only had it a few months.

Does Microsoft still have a year warranty on those things? You should send it in to get repair/refurb asap if you haven't already.

Propitious Jerk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 24, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

more sunless sea fanart????

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1010749626125901824

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Art fair application didn’t work out so I’ve been thinking about my vision and how I can push myself. So I’ve been sketching (but mostly playing rocket league) and trying not to focus too much on finalizing

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Propitious Jerk posted:

edit: maybe I should preface this spiel by saying that my end goal isn't so much to build follows but to get paid.

I hear ArtStation is a good place for professional artists.

Today some more Splatoon art since I'm still playing the expansion.

https://twitter.com/Shinmera/status/1010999491636482048

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
Undercurrent is my comic about depression. There's a story-arc going through from the beginning of depression to healing.
This one is just slice-of-life though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sharpest Crayon posted:

I used to be active on deviantart when I was a teen, abandoned it for 15 years and tried going back, and just did not have the time or the patience to crawl my way to the top again.

You go on the chats where you can link your work and you advertise your stuff, then you tell everyone else linking their pics that their work is fantastic and that you love it and that you love them for making it. Leave good comments for everyone, especially active people and fave their stuff in the hopes that they will, in turn, look at yours. Be pleasant, helpful, kind and available. Do not get involved in drama. DO NOT GET INVOLVED IN DRAMA. Get a script that will give out llamas. THERE IS SO MUCH DRAMA AND SO MANY CHILDREN. Browse the new submitted stuff, try not to claw your eyes out, and comment on those. If you just search for random deviations to comment on you might get people who have not been active in forever.
In fact, I bet if you could make a bot that gives out general "good job!!!:DD" comments to everyone, you'd be popular in no time.

Know that even after a year of my more recent work, my most favourited, most viewed and most commented piece continues to be a 5-min pen sketch of an anime with huge tits with the words "jiggling action" in it.

Why bother doing all this crap unless you're trying to make money off your art outside of a professional job? And if you're trying to make money off your art you might as well suck it up and just draw fetish crap because people pour way more money into it.

I dunno, I don't really give a crap how many people see my art. I mean its nice to be noticed but only as far as getting actual feedback goes for me. Most people won't give you any feedback though if they are just casually browsing, and those that do comment usually just say "u do the arts gud". Which is nice, but again not particularly meaningful to me. I'd rather have one person look at my art, genuinely enjoy it, and actually tell me specific things they liked about it than have a thousand random people like it with no further feedback.

Which has kind of happened. My most popular tumblr is post is from the first month of my account where some silly glitch art I did somehow got over 300 likes. Which was neat, but it didn't feel particularly fulfilling. I got a lot more satisfaction out of one random person telling me they thought my original designs were interesting and creative.

EDIT: Art is always going to be super depressing if you view it through the lens of making content to try and appease the faceless masses. Do work for yourself first, specific people second, and everyone else third. That's how I've consistently enjoyed doing art for the past year.

Obviously if you're trying to make a career out of art that changes things. But that ship sailed for me 10 years ago when I stopped drawing to focus on "practical things" (that I sucked at).

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 25, 2018

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I'm doing drawings along with the SGDQ stream, but I don't want to spam this thread with them so here's just some of them.

https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1010957473874931713
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1011004003604410368
https://twitter.com/rainbowfission/status/1011126813446344705

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009
I've been a real lazy art gently caress and not drawn in like three weeks. To force myself out of the lazy zone I've started carrying a pad on me everywhere again.

Did a little doodle whilst in work. Here's hoping now I've broken the procrastination seal I'll draw more again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Another semi-daily sketch. I need to ramp it up and do at least a "finished" sketch each day.