Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I started this self-portrait to try out my new cintiq and just finished it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I think you can easily (albeit slowly) learn figure drawing if you just find a weekly life drawing session and stick with it for a while. In art school they give you some anatomy tips but you actually learn most of it by practicing, observing and getting critiqued.

And if you want your stuff to have a more artistic feel I would suggest that you experiment with your techniques and accept that sometimes it just won't work. Grab the pencil a different way, use other materials, give yourself some restrictions (e.g. only use vertical lines or use line thickness to indicate distance). There's a myriad things you can do and eventually you'll find something that works for you, and as a bonus it will make the process much more fun.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Unless you are downright doing something to distract the other people nobody will care about your level of expertise, some people may even offer advice if you ask during the breaks.

They will also probably have some sort of schedule where they do some quick poses and one or more longer poses later so you don't even need to decide where to start.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My first attempt at making a motion painting or whatever this is called.

Separated the link for possible epilepsy/migraine trigger
https://i.imgur.com/ 7mGp7JL.gifv

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 5, 2018

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Elentor posted:

I know that people only care about epilepsy alerts but that image is like primed to trigger a migraine aura in photosensitive individuals so if that's the idea good job.

That's probably the best rendition of the zigzag aura I've seen yet.

Crap, I didn't think about that. I was just trying to get:

Al! posted:

the most accurate depiction of a migrane

I tried to stick it in spoilers but it's not working.