Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
I've mostly been doing pen drawing since I started my iPad doodling career a few months ago, but here's a first semi-serious attempt to do something with colors in Procreate. Looked at Caravaggio's The Calling of St Matthew for reference. As usual, I have a persistent feeling that the feature placements are out of whack in a way that's probably glaringly obvious to anyone seeing it for the first time, but I've exhausted all the tricks like that "flip the canvas to get a fresh view" one, so feel free to tell me what I've done wrong (or right).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Haha, I can see that being the case. Oh and I really like that Venus of yours. :)

Sharpest Crayon posted:

There's nothing glaringly wrong that I can pick out that's not wrong in the original. I mean, looking at the original, the model is gormless. It looks like someone who was used to painting adults only decided that "teenagers are like babies but with a big nose and long face right?" and then went for it and the result is weird and somewhat flat.
If you want to improve it, I would smooth out some of the scratchiness in the skin and eyes, it makes for an interesting texture in the collar but is a bit distracting in the eyes.
If you want to start changing the features, you could try bringing the lips up closer to the mouth, and sinking the eyes in a bit by adding shadow to under the brow near the nose.

Thanks for these! And yeah, you're right about the original being less than realistic. It's not like there's any shortage of teenage boys in his stuff, but he does like to often paint their faces in that kind of doll-like manner. Not sure if that's a stylistic choice or if people just saw things differently back then. I just happen to have a huge Taschen book of his, and I like it a lot, but it's indeed a good thing to keep in mind when using it as a reference.

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Practicing some shading with the boringest of all genres, stuff found in the kitchen

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
Haha, that’s great. Inspired by the Chase bank painter? :)

More painting practice with Caravaggio. Any critique appreciated!

sinc
Jul 6, 2008

dog nougat posted:

Without looking at the original, you need to work on forshortening. The hand is disproportionately small in comparison to the head...assuming it's not some David and goliath picture.

FE: yeah it actually is. Oopsy. Not deleting that. Mobile laziness.

:lol: I should just have put the painting title in, it’s indeed unusually relevant in this case.

Thanks for the comments all :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinc
Jul 6, 2008
My doodling sort of died down a few months ago, I guess I started taking it slightly too seriously and obsessing about learning things the right way and doing boring exercises, which is exactly the the kind of thing that I had set out to avoid in this relaxing little side hobby.

Slowly getting the hang of the basics again after warming up for a couple of days, and all the same old errors too I suppose...