Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I just inherited a bunch of secondhand pastels I don't have any idea how to use, enjoy a generic anime boy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also I sketched this out in oils and once it dries I might make a go of fixing it up and finishing it, it's kind of cute I like it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
SC, I think your one real weakness is color theory. I like your work a ton so I recommend Color and Light: A Guide for the Realist Painter by Gurney, the guy who pained the Dinotopia books. Don't worry about the "realist" part, it's general color theory, and I think it would help make your work pop. Just a recommend, and good luck!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Pfpfpfpfpfffff and just as I posted that I was thinking "goddamn all the colours are still way too diluted ..oh whatevs :justpost:".
It really isn't my only weakness, but you're right, and I guess it's time I finally put some effort in to learn how to colour instead of trying to magically pick it up just by doing.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look into it and hopefully some of it will actually stick in my head. :kiddo:

edited to add: Yessss loving score, it's not even an expensive book, I can totally afford 12 quid. I was worried for a moment there.

It's also a relatively common art instruction book so quite a few libraries have it compared to, say, Schmid's "Alla Prima" (which in my opinion is the best art instruction book ever written but also extremely expensive).

The main downside of Schmid's is that you are constantly pissed off at how good he is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Came out of star trek doodle paradin', but Cardassians as full-bore lizards scratches is pretty freakin fun as it turns out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Propitious Jerk posted:

Nice to see some of your polished drawing, the scales on lizard Garak? and Dukat? have a really solid weight to them and I like the subtle expressions.

Thanks! Yeah it's Garak and Dukat, kind of tricky because I was trying to think of the overall "species" design as well as how each would look within that. I'm glad that the volume came across in the scales, I enjoy drawing reptiles and though I don't always nail it, I like to think I'm doing them some credit! Such cool animals.

Just in case anyone is curious though, this isn't an inked-over sketch, although an inked version would look pretty similar. For some reason I really like to refine a sketch on the same layer. It's a habit I picked up from the old days when Opencanvas was new (I switch between Opencanvas and Mangastudio for digital work) because Opencanvas had the ability to record your drawing process, and many members of the community would upload a video of their process, long before Livestreaming your work was common. It's something I wish more programs would do, because it's hugely informative for how someone works, AND it allowed you to go back to any stage of your drawing process and begin again from wherever you started loving it up. If only oil painting had that :suicide:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 23, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

this broken hill posted:

the best thing about deviantart is the incredibly bleak and supernaturally talented groundswell of post-soviet depressives

No joke.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Planning to color this at some point and maybe make myself a bona fide dork t-shirt :toot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Flats are down, will shade and texture probably this weekend.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Colored :toot:

Going to make some stickers.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Designed this for my new iphone case.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And a colorwolf.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I been doodzing these in the star trek thread. star trek!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Just a WIP for art fight but I'd really like to finish it because I think it's cute.

Love your work, always stellar. Great volume.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

gul dukat :toot:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's the "gurgle" brush for MangaStudio, I hugely overuse it and forgot how I got it. I think it came with a package of 99% really unnecessary brushes and then like two that are super useful.

Even "gurgle" is kind of busted in terms of how it works, but I like how it's busted and the effects I can get from it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'm a simple creature and I like Spock so I doodled him

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

d3c0y2 posted:

How do you get this effect? I'm not even sure the word i am looking for to describe it, but I love how the colours seem almost iridescent.

Sketch is in blue, then one layer set to Linear Burn with colors on it, and another set to Add (Glow) with different colors on it. Done in ClipStudio. Another way you can try it with a completely different effect is to lay down some general gradients and then use brushes with really busted pressure settings on a Soft Light layer above that, and then go all mad randy with a Vivid Light layer above that.

My advice is, at least for practice every once in a while, work at stupidly high color saturation, and use a bunch of colors, an obnoxious excess. I think most of us are trained not to, probably due to high color saturation having been out of vogue from like 2004-2017.

Pick fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Sep 4, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I will never stop drawing fanart because I'm a big trashy bitch :c00l:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

still trying to use some of these inherited pastels *sigh*

they're p good for fast stuff though, very color dense

Its Winslow from Phantom of the Paradise before anyone says "Berserk" because then that's a whole derail, about how Berserk ripped it off.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
More stars treks craps!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Another commission WIP.

Bob Boblaw law dog's law blog

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I still doodle star trek bullshit because i'm a merry dipshit and it's fun

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You can see from my furious diss that I do, in fact, love Odo.

You can tell someone who loves Star Trek by how much they complain about it :3:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
my boi

Pick fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I owed someone a star trek slash for Christmas, I won't subject you all to that but I did like how the coloring turned out. here's a revised version for your sensitive goober eyes.

I never use yellows and now I'm thinking they're not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

star (trek)