Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That sucks, and yeah, I know those days.

Blender sketching! :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

'Sad.'

So, right, today. First the boy falls asleep taking up the entire drat sofa like a cat, and then he goes and moves just as I get into drawing him. Rude!

Also, I can't stop playing with the blender sketch thingy, it's like minecraft with infinitely more options. You think you're done, then 'just a quick tweak here', 'wait, kill this half-done render, I want to tweak that bit'... This was meant to be just a five-minute thing.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

That Zbrush? I've tried it a couple of times, but my (lack of) gfx card shits the bed massively. Looking real good there! Love the sharp knife of the horns esp.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

sigma 6 posted:

Zbrush doesn't depend on the graphics card. Only the CPU AFAIK. It's one of the selling points.

Now that's weird, the cpu is fairly decent on this box. On the other hand, this is the computer so badly made that it interferes with phone reception and it's own wifi dongle has to be on an extension cord, so I shouldn't be too surprised.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

First page of this weird project I've kinda stumbled into without intending - each month I'm making a new comic-poem-hybrid-abomination, designed for A7 booklet. One sheet of A4 each, folded into a booklet, and they're apparently adorable:

I've actually sold them just from people seeing how tiny they are. Which I wasn't sure how to react to, really, but :10bux: Gonna detail the colour on this one a bit more if I find time.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, that's what I like to hear! :D I'm gonna explore it for a month or two, make sure the idea has legs (and have some lead, I hear that's important), then I'll be whoring a patreon all over the place.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Aside from it's general :3: I love how well you make characters 3D, there's a real sense of volume to them.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The masking fluid is like magic, but it is difficult to work with. I bought some brushes meant for the fluid, but it gunks them up so fast. Wondering it a fountain pen would work better... or if it would just get gummed up just as fast. I gotta experiment with this. Bring in some toothpicks or something.

Oooh! I got this! I bought a silicone clay-working tool that works really well for this:

Seconding the masking fluid love.

e: toothpicks work ok. I've never tried a fountain pen because wtf you sadist!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Al! posted:

walking animations are hard

Arms are good, but imo it need more torso movement, some hip/soulder twist. Should probably be a little leaned forward as well, centre of gravity is a little off.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Well pleased with how this is coming along. A7 is the best comic format. :colbert:

e: I'm gonna enlarge the text in the first page, I think. Still getting to grips with having to make the words happen myself with my hands.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Been drawing clunky robots today!

This is a bad robot.

This is a good robot.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks! Pen settings were "lamy fountain pen" and "watercolour" :cheeky: The trick is finding a good waterproof ink - I use platinum carbon black.

lofi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 6, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

sigma 6 posted:

Sorry for the blurry pic.

That is stunning! Copics for the shading?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Looks like a good party to me.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Amazing dog, very poor genetics.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Character design work for new comic, I love me some ink & wash.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Theokotos posted:

This is lovely; using India ink for the wash?

Not a drawing, but the instant I finished school a group I’m doing pro bono design for started freaking out at me about missed deadlines (because they weren’t on top of their poo poo). Anyway, this is a sketch I’m waiting on a thumbs up on:

Thanks! It's supercheap 'drawing ink', but I think it's basically the same stuff. When I do realist like that, it looks very 50s to me for some reason.

Liking the flyer design, very El Lissitsky in a good way.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

From a mugshot. Ellen Woodman here got 7 days of hard labour for stealing iron.

Where did you find old mugshots? Also I love the vageness of 'iron'. In my head she's been caught at the last minute with 5 steam trains. :unsmith:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, those do look great!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Theokotos posted:

Here’s one of a flamingo! https://youtu.be/afIRmCCSnYI

Can't stop looking at how weirdly she holds brushes

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Oh god I haven't drawn nearly enough lately I am a bad artist and I should feel bad and tear up my 'artist' membership card and go to the shame zone fml

Barely distinguishable from reality.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

mutata posted:

I like this a lot. Is it physical? How big is it? How much you want for it?

Thanks! Yes, it's ink & watercolour on cartridge, about 21x23cm. I'd sell it for $30 - if that suits you, please could you email me on [username]@[username].space

lofi fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 10, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I really need to sort a desk easel, I keep being surprised when I hold up the pic I've been working on and the foreshortening monster makes it all stretchy and horrible.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

No such thing as 'waiting' when I have a sketchbook.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Just a work in progress, but today I took a break from trying to make comics happen and started trying to make this happen instead.

I really love your style, it's a really nice balance between painting and drawing! Super classy palette as well.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Argue posted:

1. What's a good palette material for mixing watercolor (mine are pan) on? The plastic and metallic surfaces I have don't seem to be ideal since there's so much water diluting it, so the water just clumps together. Is mixing colors on a palette even a thing, or do you just let that poo poo blend on the paper?

Not figured out this one myself - mixing large amounts of colour in particular is a bitch. What I'm gonna try (when I remember) is just asking in the local art shop. Are you using half pans or full? I think brush size might be relevant, and small pans generally lead to small brushes.

quote:

Style
Last year a friend commented on my 'style', I was like 'omg I finally have a style'. Seconding the folks saying it'll happen naturally, and to try different mediums.

E: also, making a mess is ok, think of it as an experiment. Take what works, ditch what doesn't.

lofi fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jun 18, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hey all, just a heads up that we now have a general chat thread, come chat generally!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I love the ambiance on sunless sea - that music when you pull into home port on your last dregs of fuel, and it's warm and safe and light and now the crew can but won't stop eating each other. I didn't have the patience to explore a lot of the game, but yeah, it's really good. Rats or hamsters?

Today's effort - a really cool street-drummer using the pavement, gates, old tubs. He had a fun thing of following people walking out the station, drumming behind them. It's not great by itself, but I'm kinda pleased with it because he was moving so much, to get anything down was a fun challenge. Think I'm gonna make a habit of drawing buskers (and make sure I've got some cash on me to pay them for it.) Also drawing in fountain pen is the best for forcing you to think about every mark you make.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Lizard looks well pissed off about running into that glass door ;)

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I wanna get more involved in an art community, but I never know where to start.

Amen to that. DA seems like a pretty flooded market, a hell of a lot of very skilled artists there.

Today's effort, playing with gouache, going really oldschool colouring. It's like painting with thin mud (probably not helped by having to reconstitute old dried out tubs). Mixing colours is a bitch. I'm working on trying to pull my comic-drawing and life-drawing styles a bit closer together, at the moment they're not really helping each other that much.

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 23, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Propitious Jerk posted:

^Excellent! Reminds me of Jene Giraud.

Not at all an accident, and a big compliment, thanks! Moebius and Herge are seriously floating my boat at the moment, ligne claire makes me happy.

That skull looks sweet, I totally agree on keeping the linework - I wasn't sure if you were finished (I look at pretty pictures first, natch) and was actually going to suggest leaving it as-is if you were intending to polish it more. It's very 2000AD!

e:

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Yeah, what I've found is people generally don't stick around past one piece. I'm getting a lot more views than normal on this one, but just a couple new followers and a little better than average user page views (this is all on deviantart). I got a Daily Deviation awhile back but even that wasn't a huge gain.

I wanna get more involved in an art community, but I never know where to start.

Going back to this - I think what DA suffers from is having no real focus, or purpose. It feels like a giant gallery with everyone's stuff just shoved together, where the best you're likely to acheive is a circle-jerk with other artists. I've started being quite strict with posting art on social media and looking at it in terms of 'what do I want this to achieve?' and it's been an eye-opener as to how much social media is just making content and hoping for likes.

I'm still working on an actual solution.

lofi fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jun 24, 2018

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Don't forget the job board, just in case you had any spark of will to live.

:suicide:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

More work based on avant-garde fashion. One day I'll finish this tarot deck, honest. Of course, by the time I get to the end, the beginning will look poo poo in comparison, so I'll just go in circles forever.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

^
According to this, he's maxed every stat.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Al! posted:

work in progress, could use some comment

Agreed with AHG's comment about the blue lights holding the eyes. I think something to break up the window frames might improve the image, too - they're a bit too perfect atm, once you notice it it feels a bit weird.

The city looks well good.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Someone's going to have a lot of explaining to do.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Commission in exchange for custom art software! It's a political cartoon for a LARP, I think it's the second-nerdiest thing I've ever drawn.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Here is a yak.

It's feeling pretty mellow.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

drat, that is looking sweet! Also makes me glad I'm not doing it. :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Drawing people on the beach