Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

I've been working on a commission for a friend of mine.

Someday I'll figure out how to do backgrounds properly

Background looks pretty good to me. Can you talk a little about your process? I love the style of this piece. The guys pose gives me less-weird Aeon Flux vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Keret posted:

Hey art goons, I started drawing again after a pretty long art drought, so I decided to try out a portrait to get the gears turning again. This is graphite and CarbOthello black pastel, on ye olde printer paper. I'm pretty sure I hosed up the eye placement, but aside from that, any thoughts/suggestions?

Also, trying to get a cell phone picture to reflect the value range of the actual page is a huge pain in the rear end.

04.19.2018 | Graphite + CarbOthello Pastel on Printer Paper by Kris Nicholson, on Flickr

I think the placement of the eyes is ok in terms of height, but they are just a little too small and a little too far apart.

Apart from that, I would just say to lighten the front part of the hat a bit, so the form has the same lighting/shadow pattern as the face. Especially given that the shadow on his left side is really interesting.

Fake Edit: I mean like actually interesting and well done, not like "hmmm...interesting" in a bad way.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MTV Crib Death posted:

Bargue plates seem to be helping with accuracy.

Thanks to whoever it was that mentioned J.C. Leyendecker. I borrowed a huge book of his prints from the library and I want to draw them all.

What up, "Taking Ryan Nimtz' Portrait Class" buddy.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 22, 2018

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

MTV Crib Death posted:

I don't know who that is but I understand why he would use this photo reference. She's stunning.

Oh, heh. He's a Udemy instructor and his portrait class uses that exact photo for the black & white study.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Subject aside, I love this style of portraiture. Do you start from a pencil sketch or just go for it?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Identity erasure and objectification of models is definitely a good conversation to have regarding actual production of art, but applying that standard to every piece of study and instructional work is strange.

If you have to fully render a face every time you want to do a gesture study you’re not gonna do many gesture studies.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
This is what I worked on this week while I was out of town for a death in the family.

JoshTheStampede fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Did you sketch this out first or just go for it? It looks great.