Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think it's cool he has such a supportive family.
It's also cool that he's got a WR.

EDIT: Wow, a fantastic bump.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
On the SM64 note, I looked at the leaderboards and holy crap there's a 47:02 for 70-star now. We've come a long way from Siglemic being the only person able to break 50 minutes.

(idk who Dwhatever is but if he is bad then I apologize in advance and can edit this later)

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

iPodschun posted:

(idk who Dwhatever is but if he is bad then I apologize in advance and can edit this later)

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's also cool that he's got a WR, on the assumption that he isn't a chud or chudlite.

Stop doing this.

Social Media fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 30, 2020

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Social Media posted:

Stop doing this.
Fair, edited my message.
Just don't want to be associated with chuds of any kind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Social Media posted:

Stop doing this.
no

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

You're not "giving fascists a platform" or whatever you think by discussing a runner that got a notable WR. It's an obnoxious reaction that only serves to make people less likely to want to discuss speedrunning in the speedrunning discussion thread.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
i don't care about records set by fascists, there are plenty of non-fascist speedrunners out there

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eABDlkZwXD0 heres the vid its so sick

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Social Media posted:

You're not "giving fascists a platform" or whatever you think by discussing a runner that got a notable WR. It's an obnoxious reaction that only serves to make people less likely to want to discuss speedrunning in the speedrunning discussion thread.

Yeah, you don't need to preemptively retroactively apologize for poo poo you couldn't have known, just be happy, it's not like the thought police is gonna arrest you for enjoying a runner being happy without being fully aware of their political opinions, sheesh.

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

neongrey posted:

i don't care about records set by fascists, there are plenty of non-fascist speedrunners out there

I would argue that it's a) not politically effective and b) a low-effort reflexive response to stifle discussion. You're free to do as you like, but I don't like the idea that people should be wary of discussing notable speedrunning news because they lack an encyclopedic knowledge of a speedrunner's past indiscretions or political beliefs. I'm not saying you can't or shouldn't discuss things like that, they're obviously fair game, but that people shouldn't be discouraged from talking about speedrunning for fear of being raked over the coals for endorsing someone with repugnant political views. It makes for a really bad atmosphere where people are walking on eggshells.

e:

Dr. Stab posted:

Has anyone actually been raked over the coals for unknowingly posting a video from a chud?

Nothing immediately comes to mind, but whether it has or hasn't isn't relevant. You can look back through the thread and see example after example of people unsure if they should be discussing a particular runner and apologizing in advance. That's the kind of atmosphere I'm talking about.

Social Media fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 30, 2020

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Has anyone actually been raked over the coals for unknowingly posting a video from a chud?

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i understand the impulse for purity in mind and action (or maybe 'consistency' is a better word) and i don't want to come off as saying anything like 'sometimes it's okay to champion nazis if they play video games good' or 'it doesn't matter' because it absolutely does matter, and nazis and bigots should always be hosed off and excluded!

but god, when the first question whenever a new person is discussed in here is 'are they a nazi', the atmosphere gets incredibly exhausting, incredibly quickly

e: bad take but i'll keep it here

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 31, 2020

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
if the speedrunning community as a whole did a better job of getting the chuds and literal fascists out this wouldn't be a problem. also, like, a good percentage of the time when someone new gets posted in this thread the answer to the question "are they lovely" turns out to be yes so don't get too upset that people keep feeling like they need to ask

plus nobody in here is asking the question out of some weird Political Purity stance, it's a bunch of people who don't personally want to start watching someone recommended by the thread who turns out to think that they, personally, should die because they're not a straight cis white dude

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
i guess my privilege is showing just a teensy bit, in that i do tend to view it as an abstraction like that

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Tweezer Reprise posted:

but god, when the first question whenever a new person is discussed in here is 'are they a nazi', the atmosphere gets incredibly exhausting, incredibly quickly
Maybe the community shouldn't accept the goddamn Nazis then.

e: flatluigi said it both better and less pithily than I did.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

a good percentage of the time when someone new gets posted in this thread the answer to the question "are they lovely" turns out to be yes

uhhh what lol no the only unknowns i recall getting pointed out was that pos who got to run a final fantasy at a marathon and that gropey guy punchy wrote about? the rest are not new or unknowns at all (apollo legend, cheese, etc)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dr. Stab posted:

Oh hell ya. I had no idea Karl Jobst was a chud, I just wanted to post speedrunning related video and that all went down well lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

cage-free egghead posted:

Oh hell ya. I had no idea Karl Jobst was a chud, I just wanted to post speedrunning related video and that all went down well lol

people didn't get mad at you for posting his content, they got mad at you for saying that everyone's just as bad and we should ignore it because he makes videos you like

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
drat i teared up watching that

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i actually do try and do research on any sort of content i want to share anywhere before posting it now, because i used to watch and support dudes like grav and cygpher before learning that they were nazis, and i appreciate when other people do the same. in fact i recommend just doing that before posting something from someone you're unfamiliar with rather than posting a video here and saying 'i dunno if they're a chud, but...', or before throwing out accusations because you got one runner mixed up with another. i mean 99% of the time all it takes is spending two minutes looking at their twitter and seeing what they tweet and who they follow since it isn't like they try and hide anything beyond not saying racial slurs on stream.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
if any of you decide to post a cool video by a stranger you see online without compulsively twitter stalking them first and they turn out to be a dickhead, I, a minority, will personally post "i forgive you" afterward

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

This was the post that people called you out for

Cool, so the guy is a shithead. I don't give a poo poo about what he is outside of the content he produces. Everybody is a shithead.

Edit: Page snipe, let's drop this poo poo and just post speedrunning content please

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

and lemme tell you, forgiveness from dis is very powerful

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
i think it would be cool and normal if this thread could potentially operate under some sort of unspoken yet implicitly understood notion that nobody's really linking to a speedrun video in here because they think the video author's racism is cool rather than having to preface every single link with "dearest thread is this person a racist. i am very sorry if it in fact turns out that this person is a racist, or if the fact that they are a racist comes out down the line. i truly do not subscribe to their abhorrent or potentially in the future abhorrent views. anyway the world record for mappy land has gone down by two seconds"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I appreciate knowing which runners are more likely to toss out slurs and poo poo, so I totally appreciate it if people continue to point out that actually the guy in that video is a massive racist or whatever. But it should probably sit alongside something like this:

absolutely anything posted:

this thread could potentially operate under some sort of unspoken yet implicitly understood notion that nobody's really linking to a speedrun video in here because they think the video author's racism is cool rather than having to preface every single link with "dearest thread is this person a racist. i am very sorry if it in fact turns out that this person is a racist, or if the fact that they are a racist comes out down the line. i truly do not subscribe to their abhorrent or potentially in the future abhorrent views. anyway the world record for mappy land has gone down by two seconds"

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

i think it would be cool and normal if this thread could potentially operate under some sort of unspoken yet implicitly understood notion that nobody's really linking to a speedrun video in here because they think the video author's racism is cool rather than having to preface every single link with "dearest thread is this person a racist. i am very sorry if it in fact turns out that this person is a racist, or if the fact that they are a racist comes out down the line. i truly do not subscribe to their abhorrent or potentially in the future abhorrent views. anyway the world record for mappy land has gone down by two seconds"

sure except any time someone posts something by a person who turns out to be a chud or a transphobe or some other giant sack of poo poo, and this is pointed out, something like this happens:

Cool, so the guy is a shithead. I don't give a poo poo about what he is outside of the content he produces. Everybody is a shithead.

Edit: Page snipe, let's drop this poo poo and just post speedrunning content please

which is, in its way, a defense of the behaviour. And I stress that people do, in fact want to know when someone is a giant sack of poo poo. I do not want to haplessly be enjoying someone's recommended speedrunning videos on youtube, decide to catch them on Twitch, and hear them engaging in giant shittery with their viewers! I especially do not want this to happen when either the person who posted the link or someone who saw the link knows this person is a bag of poo poo!

This 'walking on eggshells' argument is, in fact, absolute bullshit. This is not a phenomenon experienced by sincere actors, because sincere actors don't think it's worse to be told they've posted someone who's a sack of poo poo than it is for someone to actually be a sack of poo poo.

So I heartily invite you to take your suggestion that ultimately amounts to 'let's just sweep these fucksticks under the rug' and go gently caress yourself with it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
apropros of nothing it would be nice if people wouldn't throw out stuff like 'hey isn't that guy a transphobe' based on i guess being vaguely aware some high level runner of the game they run is an rear end in a top hat cuz that would legitimately put me off watching someone's stuff forever and it would have been easy to miss the single post clearing it up and never check on that again.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Seems like every time I tune in for ESA corona relief there's a multi-hour Pokemon run going on.

Gotta try to catch Josh's San Andreas crowd control run, the latter one was very good fun at ESA Winter.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Put me down as one of the people who would rather know when the content they’re watching is produced by fascists. I don’t think there’s an obligation on anyone to research a runner before they post because gently caress that, but I’d rather not give them views and ad revenue and I appreciate it when someone itt lets me make an informed decision on that. I also haven’t seen anyone dogpiled after accidentally posting a Nazi except cage-free “pfft, everyone’s a Nazi, what’s the big deal” egghead.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TeaJay posted:

Gotta try to catch Josh's San Andreas crowd control run, the latter one was very good fun at ESA Winter.
Holy poo poo, I didn't know there was GTA Crowd Control integration, that's gotta be amazing, when is that run?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
...no one is arguing in favor of not telling people if someone is a chud when they unknowingly post content made by chuds, it's just that you don't need to do the whole song and dance of going "oh sorry in advance if they're nazis i swear i didn't know". Because let's be honest, you're doing that for your own benefit. Like, people will let you know, and if you don't act lovely about it like the one dude (who was the one dude, neongrey), it's gonna be fine.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't know there was GTA Crowd Control integration, that's gotta be amazing, when is that run?

Last run of the night. The crowd control was pretty funny when they got it working, at ESA Winter they had a run that went into overtime (and had an incentive that extended the run even more which was met)

You could vote for upcoming events like mirrored driving, teleports to random locations or fat main character straight from the Twitch chat screen. It worked pretty well the second try.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

if any of you decide to post a cool video by a stranger you see online without compulsively twitter stalking them first and they turn out to be a dickhead, I, a minority, will personally post "i forgive you" afterward

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
this thread is loving diseased jesus

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Looks like the Battleship minigame in Wind Waker has been cracked

https://youtu.be/1hs451PfFzQ

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
as cool as that is I chuckled over the hand wringing explanation of how it isn't tool assistance because user input is required, like just use it who really cares? we've got rpg runners using turbo for text now to avoid carpal tunnel and modded save files to skip the sms intro cutscenes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Swilo posted:

as cool as that is I chuckled over the hand wringing explanation of how it isn't tool assistance because user input is required, like just use it who really cares? we've got rpg runners using turbo for text now to avoid carpal tunnel and modded save files to skip the sms intro cutscenes

yeah this is why i always said that people shouldnt be so rigid and listen to the community cause at the end of the day, it's all arbitrary. everyone agress so why worry so much

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
you can literally make as many categories as you want and leave whoever wants to run "appless" do as they please

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Ok new rule here. Post speed runs. If someone after the fact goes “oh actually they are a bed person” say sorry and move on. Let us try and treat runs as good and cool until someone brings any sort of evidence.

There are a lot of bad people in all communities and I am not going to think you are a bad person for linking to someone you did not know was bad as well.

Just apologise and we move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Looks like the Battleship minigame in Wind Waker has been cracked

https://youtu.be/1hs451PfFzQ

This is some pretty incredible poo poo but also jesus this just adds to my theory that literally any real world problem could be solved by telling people that a speedrunner wants to do it as fast as possible.