Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

im zfg interrupting himself for 30 separate tangents to explain parallel universes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHZGiJD2KNk heres the full run please watch its ridiculous

Jesus this run is insane now. Those Fboots are just amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
ZFG could teach OoT at Harvard.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
He'd just be reading the book fig wrote a week before he taught the class the material.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

bike tory posted:

I thought "press L to levitate" was a Gameshark code.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

watching zfg do the unrestricted max rando race a few months back was a trip because there were so many times where he was like "oh I need to do X let's see if I remember the setup for this clip we used to use like 8 years ago"

I can't really think of anyone who has sunk as much time into a single video game

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

bike tory posted:

watching zfg do the unrestricted max rando race a few months back was a trip because there were so many times where he was like "oh I need to do X let's see if I remember the setup for this clip we used to use like 8 years ago"

I can't really think of anyone who has sunk as much time into a single video game

I mean, that one ninja gaiden runner likely takes the cake hands down, but ZFG (and really most runners who either transitioned from runs to rando, or do both) really tickle me when they pull out that sort of random old poo poo they only know about because it used to be in a route

"Wrong warp from Gerudo to Nocturne isn't new, we just haven't done it at all since 2013"

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
and here's SRM being found over a decade ago. just took em a while to understand what was going on :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Q7pUqDDdg

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

bike tory posted:

We need to combine the Fboots with the Fsteak from Persona 4 for the ultimate meme run.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Would all these Nintendo source code links be of any use to speedrunners, or are we already well beyond that point?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Technically probably past the point where it's immediately useful, but the fact that it's the raw source instead of decompiled/assembly stuff may make that kind of low level code analysis more accessible and get more eyes on it in general

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
A large part of the source dumps are missing, and pretty much everything that has shown up is stuff that we already know about.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Technically probably past the point where it's immediately useful, but the fact that it's the raw source instead of decompiled/assembly stuff may make that kind of low level code analysis more accessible and get more eyes on it in general

For some things, it's legal jeopardy. For instance, if the ALttP randomizer dev's ever looked at the source code, Nintendo could claim the project illegally used copyrighted material and have decent grounds to shut it down. The onus now placed on them to not only avoid the leaked code themselves but vet any new contributions or new developers is not insignificant.

I can't imagine how much worse the Pokemon Speedchoice devs are going to have it, as they have clean room reverse engineering game code they now have to keep from being 'contaminated'.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Aside: distributing the code is illegal, regardless of if you looked at the leak or reverse engineered it. Decomp projects are all vulnerable to legal action if they straight up give out the source code, even if it only came from the assembly code. You could tailor a decompiler in a way that it could produce the source code if and only if you have the original ROM, and that would probably be legal if you didn’t look at the leaks.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that using a mix of Danish and European laws, it's explicitly allowed to decompile binaries and break encryption to back up things you've bought and own.
Neither are there laws that prevent distributing scripts for tools like ghidra and a proof of concept that gives remote access privilege escalation for the PS4.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

D. Ebdrup posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pretty sure that using a mix of Danish and European laws, it's explicitly allowed to decompile binaries and break encryption to back up things you've bought and own.
Neither are there laws that prevent distributing scripts for tools like ghidra and a proof of concept that gives remote access privilege escalation for the PS4.

It's not specifically the decompiled source, you're not allowed to make a copy of the binary and distribute that to other people either. (Obviously, because that's why software piracy is illegal in the first place).

You're still not allowed to distribute Nintendo's binary even if you've made modifications to it such as decompiling it - you have to come up with a way to distribute your modifications without distributing the original in any way. This is why if you're running a romhack, you need to patch the rom yourself instead of getting someone to give you a pre-patched one.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Jabor posted:

It's not specifically the decompiled source, you're not allowed to make a copy of the binary and distribute that to other people either. (Obviously, because that's why software piracy is illegal in the first place).

You're still not allowed to distribute Nintendo's binary even if you've made modifications to it such as decompiling it - you have to come up with a way to distribute your modifications without distributing the original in any way. This is why if you're running a romhack, you need to patch the rom yourself instead of getting someone to give you a pre-patched one.
I probably phrased myself poorly to give you the impression that I was talking about distributing code or binaries that someone don't have the copyright for, as I was only talking about decompiling the binaries, not distributing the decompiled source.
The script I was talking about is just to invoke ghidra via its python API, as well as a script that builds the proof of concept so that people who've bought and own the game can create a backup of it.

Also, the decompiled code is basically unreadable because whatever comments may have been in the original source will have been stripped by the compiler and even variables have no human-readable meaning - all this assumes that it's written in C, if it's C++ then it's much more difficult to make sense of. And if it's even slightly obfuscated, then not even ghidra is going to be able to help you.

Mind you, it's probably all theoretical anyway, since decompiling even small binaries requires surprisingly fast hardware - so anything like the binaries used on consoles is probably going to be impossible to decompile?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I mean, GDQ regularly shows hacked game consoles on stream (that weird garbled text that you see whenever someone reboots N64 VC? That's them breaking region lock, which Nintendo considers a DMCA violation). They've also showed pirate game launchers on stream directly before. Nintendo doesn't go after GDQ because they're not stupid, so I doubt Nintendo is going to go after a random speedrunner because they saw "mario.deFactoSpeed = 50" in a pastebin somewhere.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Suspicious Dish posted:

I mean, GDQ regularly shows hacked game consoles on stream (that weird garbled text that you see whenever someone reboots N64 VC? That's them breaking region lock, which Nintendo considers a DMCA violation). They've also showed pirate game launchers on stream directly before. Nintendo doesn't go after GDQ because they're not stupid, so I doubt Nintendo is going to go after a random speedrunner because they saw "mario.deFactoSpeed = 50" in a pastebin somewhere.

The only response this post deserves is this: lmao

You do recognize that there’s a difference between reverse engineering and outright copying right?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Phone posted:

The only response this post deserves is this: lmao

You do recognize that there’s a difference between reverse engineering and outright copying right?

Yes? You know I reverse engineer games myself in my spare time, right? We're talking about whether Nintendo would go after speedrunners who used a source leak from their servers as research -- the thread above is saying it's legally dangerous, I'm saying "well Nintendo haven't gone after the literal pirates yet, I think that's the least of your concerns lol".

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

I've been speedrunning hylics 2

Dice rolling stinks I'm going back to deterministic platformers with snack food mascots

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 27, 2020

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Suspicious Dish posted:

Yes? You know I reverse engineer games myself in my spare time, right? We're talking about whether Nintendo would go after speedrunners who used a source leak from their servers as research -- the thread above is saying it's legally dangerous, I'm saying "well Nintendo haven't gone after the literal pirates yet, I think that's the least of your concerns lol".

Nintendo is extremely aggressive about going after software piracy. I don't think they care as much about people screwing with their own purchased hardware.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Today I decided to submit Ghostbusters for the Master system to the big bad game a thon, only afterwards realizing that might mean I have to play Ghostbusters for the Master system

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

SeXReX posted:

Today I decided to submit Ghostbusters for the Master system to the big bad game a thon, only afterwards realizing that might mean I have to play Ghostbusters for the Master system

Congrats, you speedran playing yourself. A new WR.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SeXReX posted:

At least it's not Ghostbusters for the NES!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Yeah it's the actually playable port of that game.

The c64 one is pretty good as it doesn't include anything beyond sneaking past the stay puft marshmallow man so it's almost all of the run where you're not playing the game instead of just most of it.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Kosmic is speedrunning every mainline mario game today!
https://twitch.tv/kosmic
https://horaro.org/mmm/schedule

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Kosmic is speedrunning every mainline mario game today!
https://twitch.tv/kosmic
https://horaro.org/mmm/schedule

this has been super chill so far!

smb1 and smb2j warpless down, just getting setup for sm64 right now

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Just about finished up now, come catch the end!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

From the PYF Favorite Awesome/Weird Fanart thread:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it was pretty funny watching some of the speedrunning community run so fast to defend Vysuals after his GDQ ban (https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/i7jsgz/hollow_knight_speedrunner_vysuals_has_just_been/) that they tripped over their own dicks and defended a piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/fireb0rn/status/1293699529053573121

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Still looking forward to GDQ.

I... really should look for something to speedrun sometime and get some positive energy going. I don't like how the thread is just 90% talking about lovely people. Calling people out on their bad behavior is great but eventually it just gets tiring to wade through so much of it.

Props to Punchy and KZ_Frew for sticking to their guns. I definitely don't agree with Punchy on 100% of things but he's a cool honest dude and the world needs more cool honest dudes.

eonwe posted:

it was pretty funny watching some of the speedrunning community run so fast to defend Vysuals after his GDQ ban (https://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/i7jsgz/hollow_knight_speedrunner_vysuals_has_just_been/) that they tripped over their own dicks and defended a piece of poo poo

https://twitter.com/fireb0rn/status/1293699529053573121

Okay, I think this explains why people suddenly started dogpiling on Klaige's twitter account. They went digging for tweets with the C-word from someone tied to GDQ, and they found some of Klaige's old angry tweets. Oof.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DizzyBum posted:

After EVO it's basically the only big game event left this year to watch with friends and have a good time.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Okay, I think this explains why people suddenly started dogpiling on Klaige's twitter account. They went digging for tweets with the C-word from someone tied to GDQ, and they found some of Klaige's old angry tweets. Oof.

Maybe uh, based on those tweets and history, Klaige shouldn't be the lead enforcement guy for GDQ.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I... really should look for something to speedrun sometime and get some positive energy going. I don't like how the thread is just 90% talking about lovely people. Calling people out on their bad behavior is great but eventually it just gets tiring to wade through so much of it.

Props to Punchy and KZ_Frew for sticking to their guns. I definitely don't agree with Punchy on 100% of things but he's a cool honest dude and the world needs more cool honest dudes.

I won't watch racist/sexist/transphobic speedrunners - as far as I know, I mean I don't make a habit of digging through people's social media history, - yet I have no problem finding fun speedrunners to watch.

I really feel most of them are good and cool people, it's just there's no drama so there's nothing to discuss about them here.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

After two months, someone took my Streets of Rage 4 Floyd boss rush record from me, taking almost a minute off! I watch it aaaaaand

it's the same strats / combos, just seems like enemy movement was considerably luckier *flips table

( but mostly i an pretty sure they handled dj way better than i did)

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The Big Bad Game-a-Thon schedule dropped.

https://horaro.org/bbg2020/schedule

It's running the weekend of September 18th and is basically like if the awful games block was a whole weekend long, except for some reason Fight Crab is there too.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I'll be doing hosting duties at SGDQ for DUSK, Mario Odyssey, and the first half of FFVIIRemake if you want someone to read your silly donations.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 14, 2020

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

SeXReX posted:

The Big Bad Game-a-Thon schedule dropped.

https://horaro.org/bbg2020/schedule

It's running the weekend of September 18th and is basically like if the awful games block was a whole weekend long, except for some reason Fight Crab is there too.
To be fair, there's also King's Quest V on the list, which while firmly in the Sierra Hard/bullshit logic tree isn't an 'awful' game, at least not much more so than basically every other adventure game of the era.

And Microsoft Excel which is weird as poo poo to include, but also something I'll probably end up watching purely to figure out why a business spreadsheet software is being counted as a 'speedrun'.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

MagusofStars posted:

To be fair, there's also King's Quest V on the list, which while firmly in the Sierra Hard/bullshit logic tree isn't an 'awful' game, at least not much more so than basically every other adventure game of the era.

And Microsoft Excel which is weird as poo poo to include, but also something I'll probably end up watching purely to figure out why a business spreadsheet software is being counted as a 'speedrun'.

King's Quest and Adventure Game fan. King's Quest V sucks rear end. KQVI is alright? Like it's a fantastic classic adventure game, but classic adventure games are... not good. KQV is a worse KQVI where an annoying owl does nothing and Graham gets his rear end kicked and walking deaded in a million different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MagusofStars posted:

KQ5 is awful, even for the time.