Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

DoctorWhat posted:

Summoning Salt is normal he's just extremely formulaic and non-technical

I find Summoning Salt videos interesting, but not entertaining. I’ll watch one once and go “cool, neat to see the time drop like that” but they’re just so samey that I usually don’t want to rewatch one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Summoning Salt is a good intro to speedrunning, he's definitely the reason I originally got into it. Other creators do better in depth coverage of strats and stuff, but Summoning Salt is still very entertaining to me

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A lot of speedrunning history videos are 50x"and then the unexpected happened, xXSSJGogeta69Xx got the record by a whopping 3 seconds."

Imo if you're doing a record history, find the interesting narrative, and usually, in speedrunning, that's not about a record rivalry, or how much better the new runner is than the old runner. If you're doing a history of a big game, you don't have to list every single world record holder. And, then when you find that interesting narrative, get some primary sources to talk about how it felt.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually really enjoy his delivery, just deadpan dropping And then 420GokuBlazeIt broke the record, he managed to pull off the double Inverse Sonicclip for the first time without a TAS.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Stab posted:

A lot of speedrunning history videos are 50x"and then the unexpected happened, xXSSJGogeta69Xx got the record by a whopping 3 seconds."

Imo if you're doing a record history, find the interesting narrative, and usually, in speedrunning, that's not about a record rivalry, or how much better the new runner is than the old runner. If you're doing a history of a big game, you don't have to list every single world record holder. And, then when you find that interesting narrative, get some primary sources to talk about how it felt.

Yeah to me the only real interesting parts are:
A) A new skip/discovery/technique causes a route change or dramatically changes the strategy in some way.
B) A new runner joins the scene and shakes things up (assuming the person is interesting to hear from or something)
C) Occasionally, weird drama around different categories or cheating or something.

But it's mostly A.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The best videos are technical breakdowns of mature, complicated, demanding runs.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

DoctorWhat posted:

Summoning Salt is normal he's just extremely formulaic and non-technical

OK, I get that he can be kind of bland.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Is something wrong with Bismuth? I’ve been enjoying his A button challenge videos.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

pumpinglemma posted:

Is something wrong with Bismuth? I’ve been enjoying his A button challenge videos.

idk what you mean by that
if you mean if he's quality, yeah, hes fuckin great

if you mean if hes doing ok personally, he was struggling cause he put an ungodly amount of work on the a button series and the alogrithm straight up didnt give a poo poo for like the first 4 months, so he said he was very discouraged. im glad he hasnt stopped, cause hes like one of the best guys who explains poo poo along with retro gaming explained and such

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ArfJason posted:

idk what you mean by that
if you mean if he's quality, yeah, hes fuckin great

if you mean if hes doing ok personally, he was struggling cause he put an ungodly amount of work on the a button series and the alogrithm straight up didnt give a poo poo for like the first 4 months, so he said he was very discouraged. im glad he hasnt stopped, cause hes like one of the best guys who explains poo poo along with retro gaming explained and such

Well, good on 'em imho

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Sorry Bismuth, but I'm so sick and tired of the A-Button Challenge that I'm not watching those videos.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

You are a fool

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

You are a fool

Perhaps. I like Bismuth, so it isn't his fault.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
if you aren't watching the a button challenge videos you deserve death

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

Kchama posted:

Sorry Bismuth, but I'm so sick and tired of the A-Button Challenge that I'm not watching those videos.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah to me the only real interesting parts are:
A) A new skip/discovery/technique causes a route change or dramatically changes the strategy in some way.
B) A new runner joins the scene and shakes things up (assuming the person is interesting to hear from or something)
C) Occasionally, weird drama around different categories or cheating or something.

But it's mostly A.

That's why I love something like OneShortEye's King's Quest 6 video so much. Not only does it have lots of weird discoveries, he also talks to the runners to get their reactions to the discoveries.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

heehee posted:

if you aren't watching the a button challenge videos you deserve death

Better dead than... Uh, Mario-red?

I am undone! (And glad someone enjoys The Missing.)

Nemo2342 posted:

That's why I love something like OneShortEye's King's Quest 6 video so much. Not only does it have lots of weird discoveries, he also talks to the runners to get their reactions to the discoveries.

I am no fan of the King's Quest games but his videos on them are extremely entertaining.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

DoctorWhat posted:

The best videos are technical breakdowns of mature, complicated, demanding runs.

Got any examples of this kind of vid? I would watch the hell out of them

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I still enjoy Summoning Salt but all his videos being the same schtick for the same couple series with sometimes a lot of the same runners has really reduced their charm for me at this point. Formulaic is a good word for it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Just watched the OneShortEye vid. He's criminally underappreciated and makes me want to route or re-route some game in the same way that a Jason Bourne movie makes me want to speed away from the movie theater.

Insurrectionist posted:

I still enjoy Summoning Salt but all his videos being the same schtick for the same couple series with sometimes a lot of the same runners has really reduced their charm for me at this point. Formulaic is a good word for it.

Yeah it feels like there's two primary "speedrunner vid" angles with some overlap:

1: People who consult with the singular runner that did a specific run and go over it with them (i.e. tomatoanus, Bismuth [outside of the A-press project])
2: People who are connected with a particular game's run scene to pull in multiple people and take a historical perspective (i.e. OneShortEye, SummoningSalt)

The downside to angle 2 is that it naturally funnels people into games they are entrenched in, meaning the same names might appear more and more. I mean, consider the alternative: some rando content creator wants to reach out to many strangers to get their input to make a vid about them. That might get less traction or is at least is less likely to be brought to completion. This is compared to asking people they are already associated with and maybe a few strangers.

I mean, also, for a historical perspective, you probably need to be in on the community before you know there's an interesting story. SummoningSalt is quite entrenched in Punch Out, so he knew there was a story there.

But I'm also easy. I just like speedrun commentary. Has anyone been watching so long that you used to have to download the video files from SDA and put on the secondary audio track? Good poo poo right there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Thanks for linking that OneShortEye, I had paid almost no attention to that niche of speedrunning before.
But now that I started watching the backlog, I am a again reminded that watching more then one speedrunning history videos per week quickly makes it annoying.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

ArfJason posted:

retro gaming explained

this channel loving owns btw everyone should binge it

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwRqWnW5ZkVaP_lZF7caZ-g

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Magnetic North posted:

But I'm also easy. I just like speedrun commentary. Has anyone been watching so long that you used to have to download the video files from SDA and put on the secondary audio track? Good poo poo right there.

i rewatched sternn's 100% dmd dmc1 run recently actually lol

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I think summoningsalt has been trying some new things recently (the timeline is great) and I don't really think it's a bad choice to mostly stick to the same formula that works and got him extremely popular in the first place

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kchama posted:

I am no fan of the King's Quest games but his videos on them are extremely entertaining.

Yeah the non-Larry (and even then..) Sierra games can eat my length for lunch but those videos on them all are excellent

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

flatluigi posted:

I think summoningsalt has been trying some new things recently (the timeline is great) and I don't really think it's a bad choice to mostly stick to the same formula that works and got him extremely popular in the first place

I mean I'm still watching him, and I don't think the stuff I want to see would be a good idea for him specifically to pivot to (specifically just more game variety - I imagine a lot of both his inspiration and his resources come from making videos about games that he enjoys running/watching). It doesn't change the fact that it's starting to feel a little samey for me though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That absolute mic drop at the end of the Matt Turk video is worth a lot of goodwill as well.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
ngl i skipped all of bismuth's a button vids too cuz i just don't give a poo poo

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Beasteh posted:

Got any examples of this kind of vid? I would watch the hell out of them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi7xZ2UdlBw

PJ puts a ton of work into his runs and has great commentary

Then watch the TAS it is 100% bullshit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41kzK2alfUU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
no a-button............... is good

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I will never press the first letter button

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The other cool thing about Bismuth is that he'll soon be giving a talk on how glitch-hunting and such is basically a science.
https://www.bigtechday.com/en/talks#1MaWqPZBTN4P2Z6rxOQ8gC

quote:

Speedrunning Video Games as a Gateway to Scientific Endeavours
Speedrunning is the act of completing a video game as quickly as possible. Highly skilled speedrunners zip through levels at inhuman speeds, sometimes warping straight to the end credits. They set world records for millions of enthusiasts to watch in awe. But how does this black magic come to be? Behind the scenes, an entire community works together to discover new glitches and to further the understanding of these beloved games using a surprisingly scientific process of reverse engineering. In fact, science and video games become one and the same when trying to answer the ultimate question: what is the perfect speedrun?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

I will never press the first letter button

Ah, the b button ch...experiment

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

site posted:

ngl i skipped all of bismuth's a button vids too cuz i just don't give a poo poo

i will powerbomb you off the fuckin chrysler building but the one featured in parasite eve

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

dirby posted:

The other cool thing about Bismuth is that he'll soon be giving a talk on how glitch-hunting and such is basically a science.
https://www.bigtechday.com/en/talks#1MaWqPZBTN4P2Z6rxOQ8gC

I'd like to watch that. Do you know if they'll put a recording on youtube or something?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ah, the b button ch...experiment

quote:

Ah

quote:

A

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

ArfJason posted:

i will powerbomb you off the fuckin chrysler building but the one featured in parasite eve

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
it was half an A press, they had it held down from their previous post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

DACK FAYDEN posted:

it was half an A press, they had it held down from their previous post

I thought it might've been "draft strats" in which they stored the post in arbitrary memory to use later in the run