Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I first saw Ori at GDQ and thought it looked great? Got me to buy the game at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I also first saw it and thought it looked like garbage. It looked like little more than a glowing white dot flying around the screen.

I bought the game later based off of recommendations from other goons, and I’m glad I did. But the gdq stream definitely didn’t help.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

dpkg chopra posted:

I first saw Ori at GDQ and thought it looked great? Got me to buy the game at least.

Ori is perfectly fine and a great game but in a 4-player race it was very hard to follow what was going on since the character is so small to begin with. Had to focus just on one screen and even then it was tough.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what were people's highlights of the last few gdqs? i'm itching for something to watch and realized that not only did i remember i missed basically all of the last gdq (other than the rhythm game showcase), i also watched very little of the previous few + didn't even bother to take notes on the runs i did watch

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

flatluigi posted:

what were people's highlights of the last few gdqs? i'm itching for something to watch and realized that not only did i remember i missed basically all of the last gdq (other than the rhythm game showcase), i also watched very little of the previous few + didn't even bother to take notes on the runs i did watch

The thread for SGDQ 2022 should still be up and the recommendations from people in the second post, as for AGDQ 2022, I digged up what I picked back then

quote:

Metroid Prime Hunters
DKC2 race
Mega Man 2
Bust-a-move 4
Actraiser race
Beyond Oasis
Part Time UFO
Pumpkin Jack
Marathon 2: Durandal *
PAON
We love Katamari
GeoGuessr
Majora's Mask 3D
Typing of the Dead

(awful block)
Zelda's adventure *
Taz-Mania
Zadette
Discworld

Circle of the Moon

Rockman & Forte
Spider-Man 2
Legend of Spyro
Earthbound
Link to the Past

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Pretty varied list. Im not gonna watch any of those.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
do you get off on making this thread about you or what

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
av purchaser spotted

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
gently caress no I already have trouble spending money on things I like let alone some other person's lovely gimmick

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I was enjoying challenging myself to get lower level times in a new game but then I found out the enemy movement patterns don't reset if you die on checkpoint 1 but the in game timer does and now I'm gonna go back to walking slowly into the sea

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

flatluigi posted:

do you get off on making this thread about you or what

Let. People. Enjoy. Things.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeXReX posted:

I was enjoying challenging myself to get lower level times in a new game but then I found out the enemy movement patterns don't reset if you die on checkpoint 1 but the in game timer does and now I'm gonna go back to walking slowly into the sea

Is there a maiden with a fair singing voice calling you or is this just like, a thing to do

rox
Sep 7, 2016

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is there a maiden with a fair singing voice calling you or is this just like, a thing to do

no more garbage speedgames with bullshit framerate dependent nonsense under the sea

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Plus, you get to hang out with sharks, who are smooth as hell.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Video games are bad and we are the fools for trying to play them fast.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ArfJason posted:

I will if you ever enjoy anything.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SeXReX posted:

no more garbage speedgames with bullshit framerate dependent nonsense under the sea

Things are better

Down where its wetter

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/RPGLimitBreak/status/1558895106945679360

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ill be perfectly honest, Ive never liked RPG runs unless they are busted in some really unique ways, so I wont be watching this.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Divinity Original sin (both 1 and 2) tend to have all kinds of shenanigans, at least. There's quite a few games I've never seen a run of so would be fun to catch a few.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

Plus, you get to hang out with sharks, who are smooth as hell.

Sharks aint smooth they're rough as hell, that's why it hurts when you touch one in any video game.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Looks like a good lineup, will watch.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Thought about submitting and volunteering for RPGLB remotely, but got extremely busy and the deadlines slipped past me. Schedule looks awesome, though and I might tune in at a few points.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ArfJason posted:

I'm sure this would be a good post, if I read it.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i think we'll all probably survive normal posts but with a signature on the end

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

FirstAidKite posted:

Sharks aint smooth they're rough as hell, that's why it hurts when you touch one in any video game.

no i've pet one before and it was pretty smooth

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Violen posted:

i think we'll all probably survive normal posts but with a signature on the end

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I hear sharks are smooth as hell, but I won't touch one.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Studio posted:

Hi Chucat!!!

Crash 2, Split/Second, that one Ty the Tasmanian Tiger run where the person running had a pacifist incentive and they ignored it. There's been a few bad/uncomfortable runs but with multiple hundreds of essentially crowdsourced content there's surprisingly very little of it.

Yo.

Also, I thought about it and the actual worst run might be the TAS Block run a few years ago, specifically the TAS/Speedrunner race of Pwn Adventure. The game was basically similar to the NES Zelda but different enough to be completely incomprehensible to anyone who hadn't played it, which is probably 99.9% of the viewing population. Naturally this would be hard enough to understand in a single player speedrun with amazing commentary (where they have to both explain the entire game and any tricks the runner is doing), but instead it was a 4 player race and the commentary spent minutes talking about unrelated stuff like how the sharks had laser beams on their head so you were just stuck watching this confusing race that no one would understand.

It wasn't very good, which sucks because the idea was really good.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

the first doom 2016 run at gdq sucks because it sounded like it was going to be great but instead it was one of those clip out of bounds on every level type speedruns

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Watched a Mario speedrun and they just ignored all the coins!

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

ilmucche posted:

the first doom 2016 run at gdq sucks because it sounded like it was going to be great but instead it was one of those clip out of bounds on every level type speedruns

I don't remember from where but in my youtube travels I saw a "devs react to speedrun" video. I thought it was really cool since it had a bunch of devs watching a broken speedrun but I couldn't even finish it. They just couldn't feign enough excitement over the 20th OOB clip that I'm pretty sure they already knew about and never got around to patching.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ilmucche posted:

fortunately there have been a ton of good ones since then

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I do think that there is a definite best worst speedrun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqgMSc7WOQI
Best part is from 43:30 to 44:50 maybe start at 40:00 for more context.
Where are they now:
Noobest retired from running ds1 for over 5 years.
ESA is still cursed to have ds runs fail in funny ways.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Renegret posted:

I don't remember from where but in my youtube travels I saw a "devs react to speedrun" video. I thought it was really cool since it had a bunch of devs watching a broken speedrun but I couldn't even finish it. They just couldn't feign enough excitement over the 20th OOB clip that I'm pretty sure they already knew about and never got around to patching.

IGN has a bunch of them. I love it when they exclaim something like "I spent months creating that level!" whenever they do a clip or something finish a stage in like 5 seconds. :allears:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Don't skip SUMDeaner's Dragon Warrior II speed run. It's one of the most entertaining JRPGs to watch because there's almost no cutscenes and battles are absolutely deadly. Even running from them is risky, so each battle requires strategy for how to use your items, spells and status effects to prevent the enemies from immediately destroying you.

There's only one real grind session and that's at the start of the final dungeon. There also aren't many glitches to exploit.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I'm interested in the old WRPG titles, Pool of Radiance, Loom, and Ultima IV.

I mean I'll be watching the whole thing, just will pay more attention when these are on.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Oh hey, Crystal Project is in. Hidden gem of the year; it's half hardtype ff5 hack, half open world platformer. The speedrun in particularly wild because, entirely glitchless, you do the game wildly out of intended order with clever platforming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

TeaJay posted:

The thread for SGDQ 2022 should still be up and the recommendations from people in the second post, as for AGDQ 2022, I digged up what I picked back then

Oh poo poo, there was a Marathon 2 run? I need to watch that.

Renegret posted:

I've seen a few of those (including the Metroid Prime GDQ run where they had one of the devs dialed in remotely) and enjoyed them. I remember the Psychonauts run being pretty good, in particular. There was one bit where the runner is going "so we just have to complete this part and wait for the gate to open, we've been looking for way to get past it forever but no-one's managed it yet" and one of the devs chimes in with "that's my fault, I made it infinitely tall".

I don't know anything about the speedrun scene for most of these, but I think the ones I'm most interested in sight unseen would be:
- Ultima 4/6: those games are broken as hell
- Baldur's Gate EE: the original was also broken as hell but not in a fun way and I want to see a speedrunner punish it
- FFX TAS: there's something that appeals to me about super-long TASes that use RNG manipulation to do impossible things
- Loom: that's not an RPG!