Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
im starting to get into speedrun vids and i was wondering if theres any way to make playlists on twitch so i can bookmark stuff i find on speedrun.com and then watch em later through the app on my ps3. ive been doing that with runs that are uploaded on youtube but i made an account on twitch and pushed the heart button, but i guess that just follows the account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well that's lovely

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
summoning salt put up a vid on og metroid yesterday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFCF4I09Avc

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
People have been doing doom 100% and any%, and fast, and nightmare, and and and...speedruns for like 20 years, calling it a meme category is just the dumbest poo poo

Its too bad doomedsda hasnt gone and just set up a thing for it to link vids in addition to the demo files for og wads

site fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Sep 13, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
yeah i know, and im saying that calling "playing a doom game straight, but fast" a meme category is dumb because people have been running that sort of thing for a long rear end time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The thread where mods closed the category had people asking them to keep it open so they could run it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol wtf how did he get modship without even being a runner

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

On the levels where it's possible UV-speed attempts now in most of the speedrun rules and poo poo to use the void glitch - like E2M6 where using it can basically save 10 seconds.

Ah, ill have to check that out i really only watch uv-max

CJacobs posted:

I don't know. Max Payne 3 is not a very active community (it's only me and a couple other folks who run the game) so presumably he just wanted to be the mod of something and Max Payne 3 is a nothing game so he got it by default.

My runs aren't gonna be posted on speedrun.com anymore because I'm not going to play by his dumb rules that the other guys don't seem to mind. You can cut 20 minutes from your video length by using scripthook to skip the game's many unskippable cutscenes, which has no ill effects, and is perfectly fine to do on categories that are timed with ingame time because it doesn't count up during them. There is no reason to disallow this, because if scripthook was actually modifying any game files (which it does not, as I explained to him, and he ignored me) in ways that gave players an advantage you'd obviously be able to tell.

However, he has petitioned to wipe the leaderboards because he wants people to use a file produced from his really old unpatched (possibly pirated) version of the game where a certain cutscene is bugged and cuts out early, saving a whole minute in runs that are timed in realtime. So he says no to modifying the game files in a way that cuts a two hour speedrun down to a little over an hour and a half and does not affect your final time, but says that you should be required to modify your game files in a way that saves one minute and does affect your final time. He's an idiot.

This is just fuckin absurd

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as someone who is obsessively stealth in splinter cell and save scums every other minute to maintain ghost and doesn't ever kill anyone, it's pretty interesting to watch speedruns where killing everyone is the norm and gaming the stealth system in ways i never had even thought to try

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

Splinter Cell's a fun run, especially as the runne--THAT'S IT FISHER ONE MORE ALARM AND I'M CALLING THE MISSION OFF

What runners have you seen running it? I've only watched Iceplug run it so far.

Not on twitch, I've just been watching youtubes of the wr runs for 1, pandora, and CT with the rest on my to watch list

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Speed ghost: coast to coast

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
obviously im not a part of the community other than as an observer, but as someone affected by that kind of speech im not really willing to give someone who looks at those logs and calls it differing opinions in 2018 any benefit of the doubt

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

UraniumAnchor posted:

Keeping most enforcement discussions internal to GDQ makes us look a lot less active than we actually are. Even in this thread there's a lot of either outright incorrect information (not lies, just people getting stuff wrong) or speculation about things that I can't address. I have to be careful even discussing things that I think are 'public knowledge'.

Every tweet by Matt makes this post even more hilarious

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

ArfJason posted:

What good does that even do? Everyone dsw it all already lol

presumably hes gonna delete everything and then claim ignorance or that people are mischaracterizing what he said tomorrow

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Zamujasa posted:

The guy unlocked his twitter after deleting everything newer than 23 hours or so

lmao called it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They need a queer person and/or poc involved in this alleged decision making and vetting process because having a PR person isn't gonna cut it if it's the same people making the same mistakes all the time

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it's fundamentally structured around people who are unwilling to change and can't be gotten rid of then it's probably best just to let it burn itself down and move support to something like puwp, instead of propping up a rotten corpse with a bunch of measures that look good but probably won't mean much in the long run

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

D. Ebdrup posted:

What if what kept colon cancer down was all the people having butt fun and noticing lumps inside the butt - and now that it's no longer illegal, nobody is having butt fun so there's no more early detection? Check and mate, Goose.

Clearly we all need to have more butt fun and to try and detect cancer, because there's nothing I can recommend about it.

And now for an actually useful reply:

This is it, right here. LGBQT+ people aren't other peoples conscience, and being or knowing one isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Everyone needs to think about how their words and actions can hurt other people - It's hard work. It's even harder to apologize, when you gently caress up - but you apologize, tell people how you're going to make amends, and then go make amends.

EDIT: Holy poo poo words are hard.

I agree in the abstract, in that that should be the way it works, but just slapping a PR person on the team and leaving the decision making to the same group of people who've made the same bad decisions over and over and just expecting them to change is just asking for disappointment. Plus I'm not too thrilled at the idea of specifically excluding minorities from the process out of some notion that you can yell cishet white men with lovely ideas into doing the right thing, as that invariably never works. If you want minorities to be included and protected, you need to have them involved at every level to insure they're being heard and their suggestions being incorporated into the process.

site fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 29, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

D. Ebdrup posted:

Did you mean to quote me? Because I'm pretty sure I never said anything about not having LGBQT+ involved.
My post was about how 1) we don't want to be a card someone can pull to defend themselves, and 2) words and actions can be perceived differently from how you mean them, and that if you hurt someone by your words or actions you need to demonstrate that you're sorry with more than just words.

eke out posted:

yeah also lgbqt people in other positions shouldn't have to try to be their conscience about these issues, it's not a substitute for having those people in meaningful leadership roles

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is it, right here. LGBQT+ people aren't other peoples conscience, and being or knowing one isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Everyone needs to think about how their words and actions can hurt other people - It's hard work. It's even harder to apologize, when you gently caress up - but you apologize, tell people how you're going to make amends, and then go make amends.

I took these two to mean that placing minorities into leadership/decision making positions wasnt a good idea, but if i misunderstood then sorry

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CJacobs posted:

I mean, the new person they could get to make such decisions doesn't have to be a member of the minorities in question, they just have to understand the position they're in and represent them properly. Realistically it could be any human being of actual worth, instead of people who do nothing.

Nah, sticking some cishet white dude who claims allyship is never gonna be an equal substitute for an actual minority with lived experience. If gdq came out and said were gonna take these issues seriously from now on, let me introduce A Wyatt Mann as our minority outreach coordinator or whatever i would know immediately theyre full of poo poo. You want to be an ally you need to be able to take a step back and let them in instead of doing it in the name of

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

eke out posted:

i must've phrased that badly because i definitely meant the opposite -- that you shouldn't rely on LGBQT people in relatively low-ranking, non-executive positions to do a bunch of unpaid labor to try to tamp down on bigotry in your organization, you should pay them appropriately and give them authority to make the necessary reforms needed to create a safe and inclusive community.

Oh jeeze, im sorry. YES

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
You are pretty well exemplifying people who claim allyship right now

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

heeheex2 posted:

what cjacobs is saying makes sense to me, just explain urself dude or ur not gonna educate anyone

Did uh...did you not read this

site posted:

Nah, sticking some cishet white dude who claims allyship is never gonna be an equal substitute for an actual minority with lived experience. If gdq came out and said were gonna take these issues seriously from now on, let me introduce A Wyatt Mann as our minority outreach coordinator or whatever i would know immediately theyre full of poo poo. You want to be an ally you need to be able to take a step back and let them in instead of doing it in the name of

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So now wanting minorities in these positions is waiting for the exact right person as if they are somehow hard to find and Not All Men but we're the ones twisting words

pumpinglemma posted:

It is not only theoretically possible, but incredibly common, for a straight white cis male to think they can represent minority interests well while actually loving up and getting a bunch of important stuff wrong. Because doing this sort of work requires more than just goodwill, it also requires actual knowledge, and by far the easiest way to get that knowledge is lived experience in dealing with discrimination that they don't have. And then, when they're called out on loving up, they usually get defensive - because after all, their intentions really were good, and no-one likes being told they hosed up, and some of the people telling them they hosed up are (rightfully) angry and therefore being insulting. At worst they go on tilt and dig themselves into a deeper hole than they can reasonably escape from. Case in point: cjacobs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

yeah I think you're taking Jacobs posts on weirdly bad faith

Nah hes done this same schtick in another thread too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

fishmech posted:

People shouldn't need any kind of special qualification to do the things Matty for example refused to do, imo. It's easy poo poo which is why not doing it is super galling.

They shouldn't, but well...gestures broadly at humanity

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zelgadis posted:

virtue signaling

420 Gank Mid posted:

get the gently caress out nazi

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They take their brand seriously

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
poo poo. Was hoping for a low res stream too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Akett posted:

Is there a way to watch it in a lower resolution? My internet can't handle 720p.

There are now low res streams available

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Would you mind explaining what free enterprise is/does at the outset, i actually just came here to ask the thread but if you can do it on stream i can wait :)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
An, okay cool ty

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Looking forward to land of the dead, i remember that game strangely being better than a low budget zombie game had any right to be but im sure its actually trash

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Poo, fiddlers green got cancelled

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hush :cheeky:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Captain Invictus posted:

are they going to archive the winter pride stuff anywhere, I often have issues with twitch's player and try to avoid using it when I can.

They have a youtube page that they've archived the last couple events on, so I'm hoping they'll do the same for this one. I've had to skip most of the runs myself cuz of lack of low res restreams

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
runs for this game are probably old hat to everyone else here by now, but i spent the better part of last night and today watching this 2017 gdq ff7 run
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWgb-Jrk5tQ
and it's pretty crazy to 1. see the game beaten in the amount of time it takes me to get through like most of disc 1, and 2. all the strats involved (obviously) that i just never thought about even though i've played that game like 6 times; like abusing tifas early weapon, putting dblow with added cut (which seems like it shouldve been super obvious once i saw it), bouncing the midgar snake off a mountain and running past skipping the chocobo catching, and the lucky 7s materia keeper that made me flip my poo poo. good commentary the whole way through, even though its just about 8 hours long it was a real enjoyable watch

site fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 16, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

waffy posted:

Not a speedrunner, but as a casual follower of FF7 runs, I was pretty happy ajneb/Davesterio/J2_Jatwo were the ones there to do that run justice. Despite expecting it to be great, I was surprised just how many people ended up enjoying it.

I don't recall all the details they touched on in the commentary, but that category is not only a endurance and skill test, but has a lot of brutal RNG on top of it. A lot of poo poo can kill the run even if you are playing perfectly, and the people shooting for WR are never using safety saves. Probably the best example of this is Carry Armor, who has a non-zero chance of wiping the party before you have any opportunity to do anything... 6+ hours into the run. I don't know how they stand it.

On the subject of the stepcounter, keep in mind that the whole thing sometimes needs to be completely reworked and relearned by everyone, when new skips/routes are discovered that alter it. Earlier in the year, a major skip was found early in Midgar, and people basically had to reinvent the whole route for the stepcount again.

One other fun tidbit is that WR for that particular category was actually a tie, down to the second, between Luzbelheim and Carnage64 earlier in the year. A tie. For a 7-8 hour run.

is there a ff7 speedrun site? i went looking on the speedrun.com forums to see if there was some more in depth reading on what goes into a run but tbh it's kind of empty and dead and outdated

site fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 19, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
probably another one thats fallen by the wayside in recent years, but does anyone have any recs for an ocarina of time mst vid with good commentary? glitchless isnt particularly hard to figure out on its own and any% is fun to watch once but after that not that interesting imo, but i'd like to hear all about all the trcisk and routing that goes into mst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Kennel posted:

A reminder that everyone should watch this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLoio53REFM&t=33s

am about half way through and this is a good watch