Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I haven’t followed Ocarina of Time speedrunning for almost a year now and looking in holy poo poo it’s just gotten out of control. You need multiple PHDs to understand how the game works at this point.

Any time speedrunners figure out how to write pretty freely to game memory is the point at which those speedruns jump the shark. But fortunately it seems like they've recognised this and are splitting the runs into categories with and without the new memory editing techniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I appreciate knowing which runners are more likely to toss out slurs and poo poo, so I totally appreciate it if people continue to point out that actually the guy in that video is a massive racist or whatever. But it should probably sit alongside something like this:

absolutely anything posted:

this thread could potentially operate under some sort of unspoken yet implicitly understood notion that nobody's really linking to a speedrun video in here because they think the video author's racism is cool rather than having to preface every single link with "dearest thread is this person a racist. i am very sorry if it in fact turns out that this person is a racist, or if the fact that they are a racist comes out down the line. i truly do not subscribe to their abhorrent or potentially in the future abhorrent views. anyway the world record for mappy land has gone down by two seconds"

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

cage-free egghead posted:

Looks like the Battleship minigame in Wind Waker has been cracked

https://youtu.be/1hs451PfFzQ

This is some pretty incredible poo poo but also jesus this just adds to my theory that literally any real world problem could be solved by telling people that a speedrunner wants to do it as fast as possible.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This came up in a stream I was watching recently, but does GDQ make its books public? Half the people in the chat seemed to think it was an "all proceeds go to the charity" sort of thing and the operations were funded by ticket sales, and the other half were convinced the GDQ crew were paying themselves massive salaries and taking heaps of the donations to fund the event and themselves.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 5, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

Badger (the Terraria runner from AGDQ) has been accused of rape https://twitter.com/ChicaDeAwesome/status/1274608540917719040

(note, the details are Not At All Nice)

Another person has accused him too: https://twitter.com/woahh_jess/status/1274872559117328384?s=19

This one is much lighter on the details but it seems basically the same accusation.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

I glanced at that google drive he put up just to see what the other side of the story was and noped the gently caress out of there with a quickness. He posted a terrifying amount of info about at least one of them. Totally not an abuser, guys, no red flags there!

He's going the full scumbag defense of claiming that she's accusing him because he rejected her.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Does anyone have a collection of links to VODs for the ausspeedruns marathon going on rn? I can't find one and navigating the raw stream sucks

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A Banana posted:

doesn't look like they've got individual vods but if you go to https://www.twitch.tv/ausspeedruns/videos under recent broadcasts they've got links to the start of each run in the "chapters" menu under each broadcast

Thanks! They don't have that available in the app for whatever dumb reason, so I hadn't seen it.

brap posted:

Why the gently caress did this guy leave his wife to fend for herself with some guys they barely knew and only from The Internet.

The only intentions to be questioned here are the two dudes who did this.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Oh boy what did they do now

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

heeheex2 posted:

im zfg interrupting himself for 30 separate tangents to explain parallel universes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHZGiJD2KNk heres the full run please watch its ridiculous

Jesus this run is insane now. Those Fboots are just amazing

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

watching zfg do the unrestricted max rando race a few months back was a trip because there were so many times where he was like "oh I need to do X let's see if I remember the setup for this clip we used to use like 8 years ago"

I can't really think of anyone who has sunk as much time into a single video game

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Twilight Princess low% is not only the best zelda speedrun, but might actually be the best speedrun.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

hanales posted:

Randomizers are amazing and every game should have one built in.

They only work in metroidvania style games where progression is gated by specific items

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Do you have done examples? Genuinely interested

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Really glad they decided to sell it to a company so it can be milked for revenue instead of handing off to someone else from the community who can continue it as a labour of love :rolleyes:

IDK maybe that's unfair of me but I've seen how poo poo like this goes in the past

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mfcrocker posted:

summoning_salt.txt but I legitimately didn't think the record could be beaten

They're confident it can go lower still

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Pakled posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2nRW3wKnVY

I love hearing about stupid speedruns like this.

They were talking about this during the last GDQ run. Apparently it's still faster than 100% in that game.

low% is always going to be dumb as gently caress though, like in Majora's mask where it involves doing like 150 consecutive bomb hovers with the blast mask to get up to the top of stone tower temple, and each one has a 5-10 second or so cooldown.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

They say in the vid this low% run is 24 hours but the 100% is only 6 hours and a bit.

What's *really* weird to me is that, according to that video, part of the low% run is using BiT to clone a bomb bag from another save file into the main run save file, and while setting up that other save file counts for the final time, the bomb bag doesn't count for the number of items collected because "it was collected in another save file".

Like, why doesn't that count? If they find a way to use BiT to clone all items needed to finish the game into a fresh save file, you could basically do an any% run item collectathon, then start a new file, clone your items, and waltz straight to the final boss and you'd have the world record because that then counts as a zero-items run.

Oh right maybe it was breath of the wild 100% they were comparing it to or something

and yeah low% is always going to be pretty arbitrary in definition. And Im not an expert on twilight princess speedruns but presumably there are limitations on cloning items from other saves via BiT though, or there'd be nothing stopping them from doing as you say.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How long until we see a TAS at GDQ that runs Super Mario World in ocarina of time by writing the entire game into code using SRM?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think that while it's a very humanly possible run, it'll be more frustrating than many speedruns because if you gently caress up on many of the glitches here it causes a crash or a straight up softlock rather than just being a time loss.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

it's more like a 20 minute 100% source requirement TAS because first cycle is still just the intro cutscene, getting a fairy and rupees then waiting for midnight

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 12, 2020

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

This bit had me cracking up

https://i.imgur.com/i8Fy59s.gifv

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Do you really think something being a hate symbol would stop twitch chat using it?

Unrelated to speedrunning there's a good documentary about pepe and the creator Matt Furie, called Feels Good Man

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

fool of sound posted:

I will take the frog every day of the week over the garbage tiny resolution human faces like pogchamp and poo poo.

yeah :wtc: imagine using tiny resolution faces :ughh:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It does occasionally happen that a category that's great to watch changes and isnt good to watch anymore, which is a shame for viewers. It's usually when a route changes, especially to one that involves huge amounts of favourable RNG to complete, or heaps of unskippable cutscene. But that kinda comes with the territory, they're called speedruns not execute-a-series-of-glitches-that-are-fun-to-watchruns

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

give me OOT cow in house dank% please, I don't care what SRM or ACE shenanigans are involved

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Getting the cow in the house and then duplicating it to have 420 of them?

I meant get a cow in the house then the usual dank% i.e. do ocarina items with a flaming deku stick (but this time next to the cow)

but I like the way you think

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

heehee posted:

They figured out a different way of getting credit warp ACE in paper mario using RAM from another N64 game and stop n swopping it over. This is much more RTA viable (JCog just got it on console for the first time) so they're gonna have to have a discussion on whether it's legal to load memory in from a separate game first for any% speedruns lmao

I wonder if they'll time from when they start paper mario, or include the setup in the other game too

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

It's been joked about but for real can we just maintain a spreadsheet of "def a fash" and "probably a fash" that people can just look at? It does seem like about 50% of this thread is people angsting over whether or not to consume some particular runner's content

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

A example of a "grey area" glitch IMO is the bike text glitch in gen1 Pokemon. If you go to the bike shop without a bike voucher it sets your text to be instant rather than typing out character by character like it normally does. It was almost certainly intended by the devs to just be for the text box at the shop, but it continues on for the rest of the run which saves a lot of time. Probably it was just an oversight, but possibly they knew the effect it had and didn't bother changing the text back for whatever reason - if it's the latter then the game is technically working as intended.

Anyway IIRC the community decided it's a glitch and doesn't belong in the glitchless category, but it gets debated a lot still.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

The intro cutscene is like 3:30 of that too right?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Julias posted:

Because you have to manually mash the button prompts in the into cutscene for things like Deku tree and Navi Talking.

everyone's favourite kind of unskippable cutscene

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

At first I was thinking it must be some weird TAS memory manip but then it beat the first level and :psypop:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Me, seeing some of the titles in the "retro" speedrunning marathon:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Shadow of the Colossus is 16 years old

To be fair, Shadow of the Colossus was a total outlier. That game looked better than poo poo coming out like 5 years later. The horse controls and animation still hold up.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Potsticker posted:

There's some weird notion that people have that you're only good at something if you don't work at it, which is absolutely bizarre. Like you don't study art or writing or engineering or whatever and if you're do you're just stealing ideas. It seems incredibly immature and yet somehow there are people who make it to 30+ and still hold these ideals and its just baffling. Even stupider in the case where the person is doing the work and then actively denying that they are.

It's an idea that often gets handed down to kids at school I think. You're told that you're smart because you like reading, maths, whatever and of course when you're like 12 or 15 or whatever years old you don't really realise that all the reading you do for enjoyment or the years you've spent actually paying attention in maths class is the same thing as "practice", so you get this idea that youre just naturally smart because you sure as hell don't have to try hard at school. And of course the idea of being "naturally" talented or smart feeds perfectly into a young teenager's self-image, and goes hand in hand with the kind of aggressive apathy that you need to regard school with in order to survive it.

Anyway the result is this distorted notion that only "natural" ability is praiseworthy and that trying hard to be good at something is for losers.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Are there any solo multi-game randomisers yet? Like with seamless transitions between games via certain locations? I'm sure I remember seeing something like that being played a couple of years ago, like ALttP + Metroid, but it may have just been a fever dream.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I've never been a fan of blindfolded runs tbqh. They're fun as a short exhibit kind of thing, but two hours of it is just going to be tedious imo. Personal opinion though I guess, they seem to be gaining popularity

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Aurora posted:

apparently he's saying pastebin staff deleted it

he'll come back in 3 months and correct this to say that actually he did delete it himself, by accident

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

How frequent is puwp? I could've sworn it was just on a month ago. Not that I'm complaining